Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: lol prop bets

Load Metric

lol prop bets

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news...om-la-to-vegas

High-stakes poker players Dan Bilzerian and Bill Perkins have agreed on a prop bet that calls for the former to attempt a bicycle ride from Los Angeles to Las Vegas in a 48-hour time frame.

$1.2 million is on the line.

Perkins, a film producer and hedge fund manager from Texas, is known for making massive prop bets with some people in the poker community. Card Player recently interviewed him about a bet with Antonio Esfandiari that got the three-time WSOP bracelet winner disqualified from a poker tournament in the Bahamas. Bilzerian, best known these days for his polarizing social media persona, plays poker sparingly but will gamble for big money regardless of his chances. Bilzerian said last month that he blew $100,000 on a Powerball lottery drawing that was worth $1.5 billion.

The 35-year-old Bilzerian said on Twitter that he hasn’t rode a bicycle in 18 years. According to him, he’ll have to cover 278 miles in the two days. Perkins said on Twitter that Bilzerian “must have a short cut” because Google Maps told him it was 320 miles. It appears Bilzerian was looking at the distance if you were walking, not biking.

Regardless of who is using Google correctly, it’s a long way to bike.

According to poker pro Samantha Abernathy, Bilzerian recently offered her a similar bet. Bilzerian offered her $10,000 to bike from LA to Las Vegas in 72 hours.
    BALLIN'!!

Load Metric
    It all depends on where he has to start from. The traditional center of LA is Union Station. If he starts from there, he won't make it. The Skid Row junkies will steal his bike before he makes it to Boyle Heights. Getting through East LA might be problematic as well. Better dress in neutral colors. Wearing red or blue on the wrong block could get you shot.

Comments

MumblesBadly: LOL

Platinum
    Load Metric
    320 miles, question is what is the elevation change like throughout the trip and just how fast can you get to on a fucking bike.

I have no idea about any of the above.

Load Metric
    Ever since Dan has claimed making his fortune from playing poker, I believe zero of what he says. His life has become a scripted reality tv show . Good for him but it mostly all bs imo
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    320 miles, question is what is the elevation change like throughout the trip and just how fast can you get to on a fucking bike.

I have no idea about any of the above.
    It simply has to be a lot harder biking to Las Vegas from Los Angeles than it would be the other way around. Los Angeles is at sea level.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It depends from where you leave, but 278 miles sounds much more correct. 320 is definitely wrong. It might be a little more than 278 depending on the starting location, but never 320.

But I think he's screwed.

The Ironman triathlon involves 3 tough elements: Swimming 2.4 miles (harder than you think), biking 112 miles, and running 26.2 miles.

Each one also has a time limit. You have a maximum of 8 hours and 10 minutes to complete the biking portion.

The athletes competing in this are world class. Only the very very best and in shape athletes can complete the Ironman. Each individual portion is considered hard by itself. For example, the running portion is identical to a marathon, which is considered a tough race to complete without a lot of training.

Here Bilzerian will have to complete about 2.5x that in 48 hours.

8 hours and 10 minutes isn't a great time for biking 112 miles, but it's also not slow. You're still averaging about 14mph.

Dan has to do this 2 1/2 times over just 2 days, and of course rest/sleep during some of those hours.

And then of course there's the soreness factor. After the first 112, you aren't likely to be able to do another 112 any time soon, unless you are a very experienced long distance biker.

So Dan is fucked. His best bet is to bike 98 in 10 hours, rest/sleep for 8, bike 90 again in 10 hours, rest/sleep for 9, and bike 90 again in 10 hours. That will leave him an hour to spare.

LA to Vegas is harder than Vegas to LA, because there's an altitude gain of about 1200-2000, depending from where you leave.

Also, you will rise up to 4700 feet at one point, and 4400 feet at another.

Bilzerian's best bet is to pick a starting point in northern Granada Hills (which is still Los Angeles), and bike through Palmdale to connect to the 15. That will be shortest.

Load Metric
    given that its illegal to ride a bike on the vast majority of that route, i would take the over here.

Comments

IAmProfessionalTalk: distance goes way up without freeways
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    Ever since Dan has claimed making his fortune from playing poker, I believe zero of what he says. His life has become a scripted reality tv show . Good for him but it mostly all bs imo
    As you are aware, his money came from Daddy before he fled to St. Kitts.

Comments

The_Lurker: FFS

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    As you are aware, his money came from Daddy before he fled to St. Kitts.
    Exactly and he has monetized his brand based on him being some poker genius. Again, good for him. No question the guy is a smart dude.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    It depends from where you leave, but 278 miles sounds much more correct. 320 is definitely wrong. It might be a little more than 278 depending on the starting location, but never 320.

The Ironman triathlon involves 3 tough elements: Swimming 2.4 miles (harder than you think), biking 112 miles, and running 26.2 miles.

Each one also has a time limit. You have a maximum of 8 hours and 10 minutes to complete the biking portion.

The athletes competing in this are world class. Only the very very best and in shape athletes can complete the Ironman. Each individual portion is considered hard by itself. For example, the running portion is identical to a marathon, which is considered a tough race to complete without a lot of training.

8 hours and 10 minutes isn't a great time for biking 112 miles, but it's also not slow. You're still averaging about 14mph.

Dan has to do this 2 1/2 times over just 2 days, and of course rest/sleep during some of those hours.

And then of course there's the soreness factor. After the first 112, you aren't likely to be able to do another 112 any time soon, unless you are a very experienced long distance biker.

So Dan is fucked. His best bet is to bike 98 in 10 hours, rest/sleep for 8, bike 90 again in 10 hours, rest/sleep for 9, and bike 90 again in 10 hours. That will leave him an hour to spare.

LA to Vegas is harder than Vegas to LA, because there's an altitude gain of about 1200-2000, depending from where you leave.

Bilzerian's best bet is to pick a starting point in northern Granada Hills (which is still Los Angeles), and bike through Palmdale to connect to the 15. That will be shortest.
    Amazing breadown. 100 percent.

If he does this, it needs to be documented or it will just be like the 10 million dollars he won playing poker against "some rich guy"

Platinum
    Load Metric

You might be selling him short on the speed he could average......

Speed varies widely by cyclist, depending on fitness, road conditions and traffic. Some of my observations (cruising speed based on a flat, paved road in good condition):

20km/h (12.5mph) - many "occasional" cyclists ride around this speed
    25km/h -(15.5mph) - most commuters
    30km/h - (18.5mph) - fast commuters, slower roadies
    35km/h - (22mph) - fast roadies
    any faster than that on a long flat and they're probably a racer

(based on who I pass and who passes me when riding around 30km/h)

Average speed will usually be slower than you think, once traffic stops and hills are factored in, especially over longer distances (like 80km). On my 21km commute I'll hit 30+ on every long stretch I can, but my average still only works out to 24km/h. For longer rides I cruise around 27-28 km/h, which is more sustainable; averaging 22-24 over a very long ride (200km) is a great pace for me.
    shareimprove this answer

For Americans, 20 km/h=12.5 mph — 25=15.5 — 30=18.5 — 35=22 – Drew Stephens Sep 23 '10 at 1:00

+1 This is a difficult question, with as many answers as there are people, but this is about the tidiest answer that I've seen anywhere. – Will Sep 23 '10 at 18:14

+1. Bike and wind also makes a big difference - In my younger days, I could average 30km/h on my roadie over a 1 hour circuit. A bit off wind, that would drop considerably (eve though it was a loop- you would think you would get back on the down wind what you lost on the up wind... not...). The same ride on my MTB (with me at the same fitness levels) I could just make 24km/h for the same effort. Drop 2km/h off these and it was a "leisurely cruise/all day" pace so to speak. Same ride in a bunch would add more speed. Just tire pressures are good for another 2-3 km/h variation. – mattnz Sep 16 '12 at 22:11

This matches up with my experience and the people I see on Strava. The fastest people who aren't part of a pro cycling club average around 36Kmh.. the pro people (people who do it as a job) average anything from 40-45Kmh (they make you feel quite slow..) on the same bit of road. – John Hunt Jun 4 '15 at 10:30

Also, mean average is fairly meaningless, as said traffic lights etc make a huge difference to a mean average. – John Hunt Jun 4 '15 at 10:31
    Have to remember he has done this type of shit before if he went through SEAL training. Matter off fact he has probably done things harder physically. He is definitely in above average shape/strength and you know he will train extensively for this. Way too many factors for me to even guess if really possible but I wouldn't put it past him.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I'll take bilzerian, who'll give me decent odds, also remember Bilzerian has had multiple heart attacks.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    I'll take bilzerian, who'll give me decent odds, also remember Bilzerian has had multiple heart attacks.
    I'll give you even money, anything up to $250, terms are:

You win: Challenge takes place as described, completes full distance LA to LV in 48 hours or less by bike, no mechanical assistance, to commence no later than March 31 2016.
    I win: Any other scenario.

Bet stands once $$ escrowed with Druff.
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Have the exact bet amounts been revealed?

Like is it 120k to 1.2 mil? Or straight up 1.2 mil?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Have the exact bet amounts been revealed?

Like is it 120k to 1.2 mil? Or straight up 1.2 mil?
    First off it isn't 1.2m(more clicks), each put up 600k even money.

Load Metric
    If I was betting anything it would be on the chances he has another heart attack, but that wouldn't be very nice...
    BALLIN'!!

Banned
    Load Metric
    Exactly and he has monetized his brand based on him being some poker genius.
    He plainly states in almost every interview that he's really not very good at poker.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This a cool prop bet can't wait to hear the outcome

With all these remakes being made we need a new Cannonball Run movie

Name:  p2981_p_v8_aa.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  823.0 KB

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Dan Bilzerian ‏@DanBilzerian 2m2 minutes ago

Getting this message from @joerogan was like waking up to a blowjob and breakfast
    Attached Images Attached Images  

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Dan Bilzerian ‏@DanBilzerian 2m2 minutes ago

Getting this message from @joerogan was like waking up to a blowjob and breakfast
    Erythropoietin, Testosterone, Human Growth Hormone and Cortisone topped off with a healthy dose of blood transfusions should do the trick.
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Thread Information