Thread: Sorel Mizzi accused of cheating / multi-accounting AGAIN

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Sorel Mizzi accused of cheating / multi-accounting AGAIN

Sorel Mizzi does not have a sparkling clean history in poker.

He was part of a big scandal in 2007 where he bought an amateur player's account (Bluff Magazine's Chris Vaughn) very late in a big tournament, and took it over.

He was banned on Pokerstars (his account was "zangbezan24") in 2008 for multi-accounting: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/29...-again-323183/

Shaun Deeb reported in 2011 that Mizzi supposedly cheated John Racener in Open Face Chinese, by "bottom dealing" cards.

Personally, I have also had a few dealings with Mizzi. Shortly before he got banned from Stars (around 2008), he kept hit-and-running Stars 200-400 limit games, then sit at a new table alone, but would only "let" certain people from the game sit at the new one with him. If others sat (such as me), he would sit out and refuse to play. Everyone else accepted this, but I refused. I didn't feel he should be allowed to choose his opponents in a ring game, especially after hit-and-running the same game a few minutes ago. I refused to leave, and Mizzi threatened to hit me next time we saw each other if I didn't get up from the table. I told him to F off and stayed, and eventually he just left the game.

We also prank called Sorel on radio on January 21, 2013: http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...artbreak-Hotel ... (Go to 1:39:02 mark to hear the prank call.) This prank call wasn't all comedy however. It involved a $3000 sorelmizzi.com website commissioned by Zac Hart (zekday0), where the work was done by SrslySirius, but he was never paid. In Sorel's defense, this was mostly Zac's fault. But I figure it's still worth mentioning.

Sorel Mizzi also joined Choice Center a few years ago (the cult-like self-help group championed by Negreanu and Esfandiari), and had supposedly turned his life around.

Now onto the more recent accusations:

A fake account was made on 2+2 (so the accuser could be anonymous), and some concerns were raised regarding both cheating and multi-accounting recently. Obviously Sorel has been a serial multi-accounter in the past, so immediately people became concerned.

The accusations were as follows:

- Sorel was playing Pokerstars on a VPN while in the US.

- Sorel multi-accounted during the most recent WCOOP Main Event there.

- One of Sorel's accounts made the final table of the WCOOP Main. Sorel noticed that one of his friends, Rory Brown (Mr Kingball) was also at the final table. Rory was unaware that Sorel was at the final table, and believed Sorel to only be an observer of the tournament. Sorel then had discussions with Rory regarding his final table strategy, which Rory freely explained, assuming that Mizzi was both his friend and not one of the participants at the table!

- Sorel asked if he could "ghost" Rory during the final table, and be told his hole cards, so he could be given advice on how to play each hand. This would have given Sorel full knowledge of Rory's hole cards at the final table, and Sorel would have crushed him! Fortunately, Rory declined to do this. Rory ended up finishing 6th.

- Live Boeree was supposedly aware of this whole thing. She did not report it to Pokerstars, despite being a sponsored pro there. When asked to explain her cavalier attitude regarding Sorel's cheating, she explained it as "post-burning-man schizophrenia", referring to the fact that Mizzi had attended the Burning Man festival, and wasn't in a right state of mind (LOL). The WCOOP took place in September 2015, and Burning Man took place at the very beginning of that month.

Please note that these were accusations from a third party and not verified, nor did the accuser identify himself.

Rory Brown then showed up on 2+2 and clarified a few things:

Quote Originally Posted by Rory Brown
    I cannot go into detail on the topic regarding Sorel publicly as this is between him, me and Stars at this point. I am not confirming the specifics of the OP, which include a number of factual errors. What I will address is the OP's allegations that Liv was somehow defending his alleged actions.

I called her in November around 5-6 weeks after the WCOOP when these allegations first surfaced, as she was a mutual friend of both of ours. I was having issues with Sorel not only regarding this, but also with some other non-poker topics. She suggested I ask him about it since I didn't have any evidence. Concerning the non-poker issues I had with him, she pointed out that Sorel had been really going through something (that began in late October) and I should consider this when judging his actions since late October. In no way did I see Liv defending any allegations about him and WCOOP.

When I asked Sorel about it, he said he had been coaching Bindernutnut and that was all.

This is my statement about this issue. While I have spoken privately to some people, I do not have any evidence for or against Sorel so I will not speak of it publicly anymore. However I will talk to Pokerstars and help their ongoing investigation regarding WCOOP

Rory Brown
    So Rory claims that the accuser's report contained "a number of factual errors", but did confirm that he was having some issues with Mizzi regarding that WCOOP. At the very least, there seems to be some merit to the claims. He also defended Liv, claiming that she didn't defend Mizzi against the allegations, but rather was just explaining had he was "going through something" since late October. However, this doesn't make much sense, as the WCOOP took place at the end of September.

Mat Sklansky then locked the 2+2 thread, right after Rory's statement. Typical.

In a different thread, this accuser claimed that Antonio Esfandiari and other former friends of Mizzi have turned on him:

It is common knowledge in the high stakes community. You won't see him at any super high rollers, the guys who were buying pieces in him have completely written him off, he owed a lot of money and sold his place in Vegas to pay back all the debts he has from complete degeneracy. Antonio put the word out when he found out about this.

My read: Most of the accusations are true, and Mizzi is just a really shady guy.

Here is the full 2+2 thread, if you care: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/29...again-1588532/

Here is a writeup on Highstakesdb about the situation: https://www.highstakesdb.com/6567-so...ng-again.aspx#

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Sorel Mizzi just started twitching today.

http://www.twitch.tv/sorelmizzi

I'm sure someone will come in there harassing him about his past shenanigans if they haven't already.

Load Metric
    I played a 200/400 live FLHE game with Sorel back in 2007 in Canada. We played for hours, me vs him and "his crew". I was having a good time, taking shots of Jagermeister and drinking, he was trying his best to beat me. After 7 or 8 hours, in the early AM, I warned him I was quitting in 30min. Right before that timer was up he won 2 huge pots back to back by overplaying flush draws against my flopped sets and getting there. I ended the match... up 5.x grand.

Sorel tried to get aggressive and tell me what I was going to do, mainly continue playing. For which I told him to go fuck himself and that if he wanted a rematch, he could have it in the morning.

Sorel never paid this debt. His friend eventually paid it for him, but then again, his friend, Richard Li from Mississauga Ontario Canada, still owes me a large 5 figure sum.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by HowQuaint View Post
    I played a 200/400 live FLHE game with Sorel back in 2007 in Canada. We played for hours, me vs him and "his crew". I was having a good time, taking shots of Jagermeister and drinking, he was trying his best to beat me. After 7 or 8 hours, in the early AM, I warned him I was quitting in 30min. Right before that timer was up he won 2 huge pots back to back by overplaying flush draws against my flopped sets and getting there. I ended the match... up 5.x grand.

Sorel tried to get aggressive and tell me what I was going to do, mainly continue playing. For which I told him to go fuck himself and that if he wanted a rematch, he could have it in the morning.

Sorel never paid this debt. His friend eventually paid it for him, but then again, his friend, Richard Li from Mississauga Ontario Canada, still owes me a large 5 figure sum.
    U put him on credit?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HowQuaint View Post

U put him on credit?
    he put him in on the finger

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I have not watched one minute of this yet.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Bump before sorel becomes the next adz.

Eagerly awaiting a Druff breakdown of this on the next PFA radio... I'll donate $50 to the free roll for a druff analysis. $50 extra if Drexel participates.

Sorel sounds like bonomo with 1/2 the IQ

Bronze
    Load Metric
    If you listen, don't completely hate the host for "soft balling" sorel.... He doesn't ask him many questions - he just lets sorely talk and show how full of shit he is... It actually proves to be a great way to make sorel even more unlikeable as he tries to deflect blame and change the subject.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    So I watched it the other day when I had some time and Sorel is so full of shit.

Several times he says stuff along the lines of "I'm not perfect, I've made mistakes", yet he's made SEVERAL and never learned from them. He goes off blaming the US laws for his actions but the thing is even if the laws suck as they do we all have to oblige by them to not play on Pokerstars from the USA.

Sorel was banned for a few years by Pokerstars for getting caught and with his past history he is lucky they didn't ban him for life.

What he doesn't understand is he is in the same boat as others who can't play events on Pokerstars from America. We all just have to suck it up and not play or we would take the same risk as he is doing here.

If anything Sorel is in a better place then many Americans because he has money to travel and probably has some poker friends in various countries he could stay with for a few days to play some scoop/wcoop events.

Thread Information