Thread: Here comes the pain, motherfuckers.

Load Metric

Here comes the pain, motherfuckers.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/09/ea...d-in-the-face/

I was going to paste the article in here but there are some great graphs about how fucked anyone who isnt profitable is.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Silver
    Load Metric
    lol @ linkedin.

Never seen so many bullshit "companies" that offer useless "Services" make so many people rich.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/09/ea...d-in-the-face/

I was going to paste the article in here but there are some great graphs about how fucked anyone who isnt profitable is.
    From the perspective of a hedge fund manager who accrues maximum profits when a new enterprise sells its soul and business for a quick buck this seems logical.

The fact that this guy gives two shits about the product or service provided is not mentioned

Load Metric
    I never really used Linkedin much, but I can actually see this as a very valuable tool for networking and prospecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    (I'm) a little preoccupied in Thailand right now

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    I never really used Linkedin much, but I can actually see this as a very valuable tool for networking and prospecting.

Maybe if youre in sales/marketing and doing that whole musical chairs bit. But honestly aside from that, its a circlejerk of mediocrity.

Comments

DRK Star: well, yeah, Im in sales. agreed.

OSA: musical chairs jab

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Great thread. Hockey Bi eat your heart out.

Load Metric

Maybe if youre in sales/marketing and doing that whole musical chairs bit. But honestly aside from that, its a circlejerk of mediocrity.
    It's great for tracking the downward spiral of your friend's careers.

Every request you receive is a cry for help that will gleefully be ignored by me. If you are on that piece of shit I can't help you.

Maybe another sign of the Apocolypse is aBrown posting about Kasich, unwilling & unable to choke out the words regarding VC life.

I see this as a denial of service. Adding aBrown to my list already occupied by Monsterj.

Comments

abrown83: Ouch

Henry:
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 02-13-2016 at 05:37 AM.

Load Metric
    This guy is out of step with the VC market. Not that uncommon for people to lose their edge or more likely be a bandwagon person who was never a thought leader to begin with.

B2B SaaS apps were the flavor of the month but he hasn't seemed to move on.

With the success of Uber and the rise of Chinese and India startups. B2B SaaS apps are playing second fiddle to IoT startups and Chinese, India, Mexico startups.

There will continue to be a marketplace for B2B but not on the same scale as before and not with the same valuations.

Ramp up hasn't changed at companies, it's just which companies that get the cash is changing.

As long as there continue to be millionaires who want to be billionaires there will be a strong VC market.

Comments

Sanlmar: Please sir, I want some more gruel.

sonatine: interesting

Load Metric

I just cant see anyone punching it into the end zone at IPO.

Dammit, I completely forgot about Square. Back on the watch list.

And that's about as good as it gets.

But excellent reminder about rest of world. However, I still don't see the love in the foreseeable future.

Edit: I trade in incomplete thoughts, I see.

Square was kind of a mess at tip off. I think it came out at $9. It did okay for the traders but not so much for Square. I believe backers were hoping for $12 or more. Thing has come down hard. (Little pop on Visa news but it feels soft) All kinds of loose change was left on the table and I think the employees got diluted.

Things are far worse today than late 2015. Feels like another era entirely.

Why would you leave a cushy engineering gig for the promise of a taste these days? I know there are prolly always plenty of young, green, tool users but I don't see it.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 02-13-2016 at 06:37 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post

With the success of Uber .

Despite it's huge growth, isn't Uber massively unprofitable and is basically being propped up by VC money to stay solvent?

Honest question, that was just my shallow understanding of the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83
    I'm going to come across as a bit of a douche but I really know more about this then anyone on this board by miles.

...if Trump is nominee he wins Presidency easily. Angry Blue Collar Whites will have record turnout.

Load Metric
    Im surprised that Uber hasnt required their users to start hanging ads from the back of the front seat head rests, or had more advertising on the app, after the person has requested a ride. Have the phone shoot an ad over while you are a passenger, thanking them for their business, and oh, by the way, here is an ad for half off your next appetizer at TGIFridays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    (I'm) a little preoccupied in Thailand right now

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrigan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post

With the success of Uber .

Despite it's huge growth, isn't Uber massively unprofitable and is basically being propped up by VC money to stay solvent?

Honest question, that was just my shallow understanding of the situation.
    Yes but that isn't any different than any of the other startups.

We are back into a B2C cycle again with IoT.

Means B2C companies are going to get more funding and more competition on the VC side drives up valuations.

Just another cycle

Bronze
    Load Metric

Absolutely not true.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

But excellent reminder about rest of world. However, I still don't see the love in the foreseeable future.

Square was kind of a mess at tip off. I think it came out at $9. It did okay for the traders but not so much for Square. I believe backers were hoping for $12 or more. Thing has come down hard. (Little pop on Visa news but it feels soft) All kinds of loose change was left on the table and I think the employees got diluted.

Why would you leave a cushy engineering gig for the promise of a taste these days? I know there are prolly always plenty of young, green, tool users but I don't see it.

Let's just say, I am quite familiar with Square's technology and senior leadership. It's run by a lucky idiot (Dorsey) and his buddy (Jim McK) is a snake. I'd short it to zero.

Comments

Sanlmar: I thought it was soft. Keep firing Monster

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Let's just say, I am quite familiar with Square's technology and senior leadership. It's run by a lucky idiot (Dorsey) and his buddy (Jim McK) is a snake. I'd short it to zero.
    Square doesn't solve a new problem though, that makes it weak at many levels.

Looking at something like Tableau or any of the other Big Data startups they solve real problems.

Even Uber solves two major problems, on-demand taxi requests and streamlined payments for taxi services.

LinkedIn on the advertising side is one of the most valuable properties in the world. Where else does someone willingly give you their job title and location? As an advertiser talk about being able to make targeted marketing lists!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterj View Post

Absolutely not true.

Ok touche, its vital if youre trying to dox someone.

Load Metric
    First time PFA brought up this chart Bitcoin was $1200. It's got a thousand-and-one uses though.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  43.6 KB

I ain't a macroeconomics guy. I am only marginally brighter than your average poker player. I try not to think too much and just trade what I see.

But it's so goddamn fun.

First we had a bubble with lots of free money chasing fewer and fewer outstanding shares & there was really nowhere else to run your money.

Going from memory, but I swear I saw GoPro buy back shares at $23. They are $10.

Of course, there was Apple and frankly everyone else buying back shares. They all look dumb atm. But the important thing is the number of shares was always diminishing. Supply & demand thing.

We have deflated a little (or a lot). Yellen shrugs her shoulders for two days. More QE? Interest rate reduction? Negative interest. Who knows but history teaches us we will take another failed run at the title. Denial phase is coming. The conversation will shift. (We will get used to $30 oil, for instance) No one quits that easily and bargain hunters get replaced by new momo armed with fresh money.

They (Fed) won't stop goosing things trying to avoid the inevitable and proper correction/contraction (or more truthfully, punishment for past sins).

Have we corrected enough so far - before the next bounce? Who knows? Just before Yellen spoke and last Friday we certainly were trying.

How we ultimately fail will be a surprise. Municipal or government bankruptcy. Who knows? We'll find something.

Given the bubble chart and y'all talkin about gold. I am fightin real hard not to short GG or the other miners just for the "I told you so" brag rights. I won't but gold don't feel right.

It's fun to speculate.

Regarding VC:
    B2C sounds familiar. Unless you are under 30. IoT ... cheap cameras built into your doorbell linked to phone? Smart thermostats? Cool crap for the most part to be sold to Honeywell & Johnson Controls. I am underwhelmed. FitBit y'all. Cheap chips and some wonky software. Golf clap.

But God bless aBrown. It is interesting to hear VC is still kicking. Who knew? The press always gets it wrong.

Load Metric
    How much is the stock market decline due to the unwinding of portfolio and/or trading strategies fueled by near/zero interest rates by large hedge funds given the Feds signaling it is start go to raise short term interest rates?
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    How much is the stock market decline due to the unwinding of portfolio and/or trading strategies fueled by near/zero interest rates by large hedge funds given the Feds signaling it is start go to raise short term interest rates?
    They won't.

You can start the clock on this mess with the first Fed increase. Fed and market loses if they do.

If Fed doesn't raise rates cause they admit economy, jobs or whateverthefuck isn't as great as first thought... Fed and market loses again cause Fed will have admitted to them things suck.

They can't win.

Pure speculation and greed will be the next short phase just cause things look cheap. Fibonacci is god.

Thread Information