Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rescamming the scammer

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GAMBLE-BOT View Post

link please
    I guesx it was a woman:http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...175755518.html
    She wasn't arrested for re-scamming the Nigerians. I don't know of any cases where people were arrested for re-scamming Nigerians.

In the above situation, the woman helped the Nigerians scam people and then kept the money for herself instead of sending the agreed-upon 92% of the proceeds to them.

So this wasn't really a re-scam, but rather an accomplice screwing over the other criminals she was working with.

It seems that the Nigerians believed she wasn't wise to the whole thing (believing the car sales website to be legitimate), and thought she would be happy to process the victims' payments for 8% of the proceeds. However, she realized fully that it was a scam, and instead of refusing to get involved, processed the victims' payments and just kept the money for herself.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    She wasn't arrested for re-scamming the Nigerians. I don't know of any cases where people were arrested for re-scamming Nigerians.

In the above situation, the woman helped the Nigerians scam people and then kept the money for herself instead of sending the agreed-upon 92% of the proceeds to them.

So this wasn't really a re-scam, but rather an accomplice screwing over the other criminals she was working with.

It seems that the Nigerians believed she wasn't wise to the whole thing (believing the car sales website to be legitimate), and thought she would be happy to process the victims' payments for 8% of the proceeds. However, she realized fully that it was a scam, and instead of refusing to get involved, processed the victims' payments and just kept the money for herself.
    Ahh, just read that article, the original article I read on this when it happened didn't have any of those details --unless it was a different story altogether in which case I'm off to use the Google
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Albuquerque's #1 Attorney Alvin Finklestein's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
    Some funny tidbits from last night's Finkelstein call! I particularly liked the quote from the "Good Times" theme song, and the references to Hella Grapes, Tupac hologram drive-bys and the neck tattoo concern.

Some of the links in the chat during last night's radio show to the random "Shane Kellers" (registered sex offender, etc.) were hilarious. This cab driver seemed very willing to pump himself up as an animal lover, father, volunteer and all around charitable individual. Maybe Mr. Finkelstein is not done vetting this prospective investment?

Also, the relevant law in California pertaining to this guy's idea is the California Celebrity Rights Act, which, after 70 years after a person's death, allows use of the "name, voice, signature, photograph or likeness on or in products, merchandise or goods" of the person, without consent of the estate. Similar laws have been enacted by 12 other states.

For Mr. Alvin Finkelstein's review:

"WEST’S ANNOTATED CALIFORNIA CODES
    CIVIL CODE
    DIVISION 4. GENERAL PROVISIONS
    PART 1. RELIEF
    TITLE 2. COMPENSATORY RELIEF
    CHAPTER 2. MEASURE OF DAMAGES
    ARTICLE 3. PENAL DAMAGES

§ 3344.1. Deceased personality’s name, voice, signature, photograph, or likeness; unauthorized use; damages and profits from use; protected uses; persons entitled to exercise rights; successors in interest or licensees; registration of claim

(a)(1) Any person who uses a deceased personality’s name, voice, signature, photograph, or likeness, in any manner, on or in products, merchandise, or goods, or for purposes of advertising or selling, or soliciting purchases of, products, merchandise, goods, or services, without prior consent from the person or persons specified in subdivision (c), shall be liable for any damages sustained by the person or persons injured as a result thereof. In addition, in any action brought under this section, the person who violated the section shall be liable to the injured party or parties in an amount equal to the greater of seven hundred fifty dollars ($750) or the actual damages suffered by the injured party or parties, as a result of the unauthorized use, and any profits from the unauthorized use that are attributable to the use and are not taken into account in computing the actual damages. In establishing these profits, the injured party or parties shall be required to present proof only of the gross revenue attributable to the use and the person who violated the section is required to prove his or her deductible expenses. Punitive damages may also be awarded to the injured party or parties. The prevailing party or parties in any action under this section shall also be entitled to attorneys’ fees and costs.
    (2) For purposes of this subdivision, a play, book, magazine, newspaper, musical composition, audiovisual work, radio or television program, single and original work of art , work of political or newsworthy value, or an advertisement or commercial announcement for any of these works, shall not be considered a product, article of merchandise, good, or service if it is fictional or non-fictional entertainment, or a dramatic, literary, or musical work
    (g) No action shall be brought under this section by reason of any use of a deceased personality’s name, voice, signature, photograph, or likeness occurring after the expiration of 70 years after the death of the deceased personality.
    (h) As used in this section, "deceased personality" means any natural person whose name, voice, signature, photograph, or likeness has commercial value at the time of his or her death, whether or not during the lifetime of that natural person the person used his or her name, voice, signature, photograph, or likeness on or in products, merchandise or goods, or for purposes of advertising or selling, or solicitation of purchase of, products, merchandise, goods, or services. A "deceased personality" shall include, without limitation, any such natural person who has died within 70 years prior to January 1, 1985.
    (i) As used in this section, "photograph" means any photograph or photographic reproduction, still or moving, or any video tape or live television transmission, of any person, such that the deceased personality is readily identifiable. A deceased personality shall be deemed to be readily identifiable from a photograph when one who views the photograph with the naked eye can reasonably determine who the person depicted in the photograph is.
    (j) For purposes of this section, a use of a name, voice, signature, photograph, or likeness in connection with any news, public affairs, or sports broadcast or account, or any political campaign, shall not constitute a use for which consent is required under subdivision (a).
    (o) This section shall be known and may be cited as the Astaire Celebrity Image Protection Act."
    After speaking with the taxi-driving gentleman last night, indeed it appears that he is going to attempt to merchandise celebrities that have been dead for 70 years or more.

It is true that California allows merchandising these celebrities without compensation to the estate after that point.

However, the major flaw in this non-neck-tattooed individual's idea is that he will not have the rights to such merchandising, either. The images of these celebrities will be in the public domain.

The other problem is that 70 years is a very long time, especially at the present time where 70 years still precedes the television boom. The celebrities he will have rights to merchandise will be ones that died in 1942 or prior, which really leaves out most celebrities that people of today care about.

Even classic films such as "Gone with the Wind" and "The Wizard of Oz", both of which were produced in 1939, had all of its stars live well past 1942. There are simply not enough famous actors that people today would care about who died prior to 1942.

However, given that the public is finding enteratinment from the matter, my client has authorized me to speak with this entrepeneur another time.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Get the NDA signed, and then make up a list of documentation he must provide you with as you move forward.

Make it all types of crazy shit he has to go on a wild goose chase to get, or spend lots of time preparing.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Get the NDA signed, and then make up a list of documentation he must provide you with as you move forward.
    Signing a non-disclosure agreement and then allowing details to be disclosed via radio and on the PFA website does not seem like a sound strategy to me, "Finkelstein" or not.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Signing a non-disclosure agreement and then allowing details to be disclosed via radio and on the PFA website does not seem like a sound strategy to me, "Finkelstein" or not.
    Right because we all know that a NDA signed by a fictional character, working for a fictional investor, with a fictional email address tied to no one is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

And I missed the part about anyone disclosing details about this grand plan to make millions, I said send the fucker on a wild goose chase that requires him to waste a bunch of his time.

Load Metric
    I dunno, a thorough inquiry, preliminary vetting and a wild goose chase for lolz are one thing, but actually executing an NDA under a false name under false pretenses is quite another. And once an NDA is signed, there is no telling what this guy may disclose unsolicited. You may disagree, but imo we just don't need to go there.

But hey, I am not Mike Leibowitz's or Alvin Finkelstein's attorney.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I dunno, a thorough inquiry, preliminary vetting and a wild goose chase for lolz are one thing, but actually executing an NDA under a false name under false pretenses is quite another. And once an NDA is signed, there is no telling what this guy may disclose unsolicited. You may disagree, but imo we just don't need to go there.

That's right.....it's over, done. The guy is not trying to scam anyone. No need to attack him. He may be a nutter but anything beyond this is like going after the Iceman on a regular basis. Fuck with the fucks that are trying to fuck others and leave the rest alone

Load Metric
    limitles, I am not advocating leaving this nutter alone. I just think there are plenty of lol-worthy things that can be explored here without anyone signing any non-disclosure agreements.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

That's right.....it's over, done. The guy is not trying to scam anyone. No need to attack him. He may be a nutter but anything beyond this is like going after the Iceman on a regular basis. Fuck with the fucks that are trying to fuck others and leave the rest alone
    I actually agree with Limitles. I dont think this guy is running a scam, I think he is just a nutjob. He probably truly believes the BS he is spinning. I dont think someone running a scam would have you sign a NDA as well as be super secretive about the product. If anything a scammer is going to try and sell YOU on how amazing the product is in order to get your investment.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

The guy is not trying to scam anyone.
    I actually agree with Limitles. I dont think this guy is running a scam, I think he is just a nutjob.
    And this my friends is why it is possible to scam people.

This guy is ABSOLUTELY running a scam, you really think a $2 million dollar return per quarter is possible for a 30k investment? That in itself is a scam, even if the business is real, and he really does have the product and the customers he claims (he doesn't), his numbers are pulled out of air.

The celebrity rights thing is just what he came up with, he isn't smart, and neither are those that get scammed out of 30k for a business that involves rights to old, dead, celebrities, aka seniors. If anything, we probably came at him a bit too sophisticated, and it may have freaked him out. Might be time to introduce him to another potential investor...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by v12cl View Post

I actually agree with Limitles. I dont think this guy is running a scam, I think he is just a nutjob.

This guy is ABSOLUTELY running a scam, you really think a $2 million dollar return per quarter is possible for a 30k investment? That in itself is a scam, even if the business is real, and he really does have the product and the customers he claims (he doesn't), his numbers are pulled out of air.

The celebrity rights thing is just what he came up with, he isn't smart, and neither are those that get scammed out of 30k for a business that involves rights to old, dead, celebrities, aka seniors. If anything, we probably came at him a bit too sophisticated, and it may have freaked him out. Might be time to introduce him to another potential investor...
    I understand exactly what you are saying. Some people are in fact just certifiably insane. Some people stretch the truth and then try to spin it later when cornered (*ahem* China). This may very well be an outright scam, but there is a decent chance this guy has convinced himself that he has stumbled upon a pot of gold.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric

Make your next acquaintance a major narcotics trafficker looking to launder some money through legitimate businesses and let's see how moral this family man really is.

Brandon can play that role, and then we'll have Finklestein calling him the following week telling him the DEA contacted him because his phone number was picked up off phone records.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    No one can know for certain at this point it was simply my read from listening to the guy. There are thousands of people with "fantastic" ideas or inventions who have exhausted traditional sources of funding for one reason or another. My "spidy" senses (sorry) were not alerted by him talking unlike whenever I here Drexel open his yap.

p.s. Druff, when doing Finklestein you can drop the lawyer voice. It sounds fake at times.
    Last edited by limitles; 05-31-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Just got a call, thanking me for the introduction, and updating me as to what has taken place so far. Where to go from here? Worth keeping this going, or let it die?

Load Metric
    I say keep it going.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Just got a call, thanking me for the introduction, and updating me as to what has taken place so far. Where to go from here? Worth keeping this going, or let it die?
    Please disregard anything limitles says for Christ's sake, he trolls just for the sake of trolling. A truly sad, drunk individual.

Tell him your welcome and say your "investor" liked the idea and he just needs to get a few more details before moving forward.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Please disregard anything limitles says for Christ's sake, he trolls just for the sake of trolling. A truly sad, drunk individual.

Tell him your welcome and say your "investor" liked the idea and he just needs to get a few more details before moving forward.

Shut the heck up please...Your negativity is going to put a damper on a great day I have going. thank-you

btw everything I said in this thread is correct....this guy is not a scammer.....more of a desperate fool

Load Metric
    Hard to say what the guys angle is, he seems sincere on radio but it may just be a well orchastrated act has anyone googled the guys name or idea for scam hits? I dident catch his name or I would have, and what. Did he want the 30k for? A web site, booze ,drugs, hookshanks, rent?

At the very least ask for a busness plan, I am sure you can get that with out a NDA.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Check out 419eater.com for the whole Nigerian scam baiting scene. Great reading.

Thread Information