Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rescamming the scammer

Silver
    Load Metric

Rescamming the scammer

A few months back, I had to run out to SF for work, and ended up having a discussion with a taxi driver about what what I do, etc. By the end of the trip, he asked for my card and so I gave it to him, and he told me he had some things going business-wise, and would love to work with me.

Last night around 10, I get an email with the creepy subject of "Taxi Driver" with the following message:

Hi XXXX,

This is XXXXX XXXXXX. I drive for XXXXX Taxi in San Francisco. Approx 3 mos. ago early one morning around 5 am in the Glenn Park neighborhood of SF, I picked you up and I drove you out to about 7th & Juda to where you left your car. By any chance do you remember me ?

XXXXXX

The thing is, I do remember him, but he drove me around 12PM, and to a completely different neighborhood. Clearly he has me confused with someone else, but I'm sure times and people just blend together after driving for so long. I reply that I do remember him, and ask him, what is up? A few hours later, I get the following reply.

I'm doing great , thx for remembering me. Listen, the reason for my email straight forward......... I've worked long & hard on my own internet start-up & I'm ready to launch. I've created a product & I have it manufactured. I've beta tested this product with six [ 6 ] high profile companies & they all are ready to place orders. The distribution channels are in place. This is a low overhead high profit margin of 80% product. I expect a $2MM profit margin the first quarter. At this point all that is in my way is seed capital of $30,000. I'm just networking trying to make this happen. If you can connect me to an angel investor that bares fruit, I'll reward you generously for brokering the deal. If this interest you in any way & would like to know more, then we'll talk. If not, no problem. Let me know. XXXXX
    Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Wonder how many people he has tried to pull this scam on. I want to re-scam him, but since my identify is known, I would need to introduce him to an investor for that to happen. At the very least, he seems like a good crank call for PFA radio. Thoughts on my next move?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by v12cl View Post
    A few months back, I had to run out to SF for work, and ended up having a discussion with a taxi driver about what what I do, etc. By the end of the trip, he asked for my card and so I gave it to him, and he told me he had some things going business-wise, and would love to work with me.

Last night around 10, I get an email with the creepy subject of "Taxi Driver" with the following message:

Hi XXXX,

This is XXXXX XXXXXX. I drive for XXXXX Taxi in San Francisco. Approx 3 mos. ago early one morning around 5 am in the Glenn Park neighborhood of SF, I picked you up and I drove you out to about 7th & Juda to where you left your car. By any chance do you remember me ?

XXXXXX

The thing is, I do remember him, but he drove me around 12PM, and to a completely different neighborhood. Clearly he has me confused with someone else, but I'm sure times and people just blend together after driving for so long. I reply that I do remember him, and ask him, what is up? A few hours later, I get the following reply.

I'm doing great , thx for remembering me. Listen, the reason for my email straight forward......... I've worked long & hard on my own internet start-up & I'm ready to launch. I've created a product & I have it manufactured. I've beta tested this product with six [ 6 ] high profile companies & they all are ready to place orders. The distribution channels are in place. This is a low overhead high profit margin of 80% product. I expect a $2MM profit margin the first quarter. At this point all that is in my way is seed capital of $30,000. I'm just networking trying to make this happen. If you can connect me to an angel investor that bares fruit, I'll reward you generously for brokering the deal. If this interest you in any way & would like to know more, then we'll talk. If not, no problem. Let me know. XXXXX

Wonder how many people he has tried to pull this scam on. I want to re-scam him, but since my identify is known, I would need to introduce him to an investor for that to happen. At the very least, he seems like a good crank call for PFA radio. Thoughts on my next move?
    Delete the e-mail and forget about it.

Load Metric

Hi XXXX,

XXXXXX

You can use me as an investor if you want, and I'll run him through so much paperwork and high hopes of me sending him money that by the time he's done I'll have him crying for money.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Ask him if he can fly you and a friend out to see him. Meet in some place private so I can kick this guys head off of his shoulders.
    Of all the money e'er I had, I spent it in good company

Platinum
    Load Metric
    If you have the guy's phone number this would be an epic prank call.

Email him back and say you have a guy that could probably get him more...way more if he needed it.

Let Druff take it from there, would def be HOF.

Could probably string him along for a while and get lolz week after week on PFA radio.

Load Metric
    Maybe he actually has the next facebook and just needs a quick 30k?

Load Metric
    "If you can connect me to an angel investor that bares fruit, I'll reward you generously for brokering the deal."

Let's consult jsearles about these offer terms. Notice how he spelled it "bares fruit" rather than "bears fruit", and is looking for an "angel investor" (Vwls?). It seems like what he is looking for is someone who goes to markets and rips the covering off fruit baskets or pulls bunches of bananas out of their bags. Seems to be a likely target for a PFA Radio prank call -- considering he'll probably answer at night, being a taxi driver and all.

Email him back, find out what your "generous reward" would be and get him ready for a probing call from a Vegas area code?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
    "If you can connect me to an angel investor that bares fruit, I'll reward you generously for brokering the deal."

Let's consult jsearles about these offer terms. Notice how he spelled it "bares fruit" rather than "bears fruit", and is looking for an "angel investor" (Vwls?). It seems like what he is looking for is someone who goes to markets and rips the covering off fruit baskets or pulls bunches of bananas out of their bags. Seems to be a likely target for a PFA Radio prank call -- considering he'll probably answer at night, being a taxi driver and all.

Email him back, find out what your "generous reward" would be and get him ready for a probing call from a Vegas area code?
    MAKE IT SO

Silver
    Load Metric
    Giving it a little bit more time so I don't seem too eager. Going to find out his idea first, then try to get his number with the next email.

Load Metric
    A guy was actually arrested for doing this to oned of those Nigerian scammers. He got the guy to send him money and was later arrested for fraud or something... better to just leave it alone
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    A guy was actually arrested for doing this to oned of those Nigerian scammers. He got the guy to send him money and was later arrested for fraud or something... better to just leave it alone
    Who said anything about getting money out of the guy?

We just want to fuck with him get lost. Jesus Christ.

Silver
    Load Metric
    I have the number, but he wants an NDA before he will send anything over:

Before I make full disclosure I require an NDA to be signed. This product taps into the multi billion dollar entertainment industry but it is NOT an I T product. My cell # is XXX-XXX-XXXX if you want to talk further.

If someone from radio wants to create an email address, I can cc you, give you an introduction, and let you take it from here.

Load Metric
    If someone from radio wants to create an email address, I can cc you, give you an introduction, and let you take it from here.
    Why don't YOU create the e-mail address, cc it in your next correspondence to this guy and just PM Druff, Vwls or Drexel the e-mail address's password so they can take it from there?

The guy wants $30k seed money -- played properly, it seems like a lot of lolz can be generated even before you get to the point of signing NDAs and such. Nobody said this "angel investor" would be EASY to deal with!

Load Metric
    "I've worked long & hard on my own internet start-up & I'm ready to launch. I've created a product & I have it manufactured. I've beta tested this product with six [ 6 ] high profile companies & they all are ready to place orders. The distribution channels are in place. This is a low overhead high profit margin of 80% product. I expect a $2MM profit margin the first quarter. At this point all that is in my way is seed capital of $30,000. I'm just networking trying to make this happen. If you can connect me to an angel investor that bares fruit, I'll reward you generously for brokering the deal. If this interest you in any way & would like to know more, then we'll talk. If not, no problem. Let me know. XXXXX"

I mean, look at the above quote. Nothing confidential, nothing illegal or fraudulent. No need to disclose identifying information about angel investors (or networks thereof). With 'cold call' veterans such as Druff and Drexel at the helm, the above quote can provide nearly all of the "material" for the first call to this bozo.

Load Metric
    Tell him you are interested, and that your attorney will be contacting him this evening. He should expect a call from Mr. Finkelstein.

Silver
    Load Metric
    This thread has the potential to be PFA first ballot HOF material.

Pressure's on. Don't fuck this up.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    Tell him you are interested, and that your attorney will be contacting him this evening. He should expect a call from Mr. Finkelstein.

Tell him you don't sign anything without consulting your attorney, and that he can expect a call, and to be prepared to discuss it with your attorney, who is also your business adviser. Then Druff has to play him along and say he gets a hundred calls a week, and to get to the point, and sell him on the idea, because he's the one who needs money, not you, and he isn't signing anything until he knows what it involves.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post
    That's a little hasty imo
    http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...26-years-later

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post

Pressure's on. Don't fuck this up.
    Real talk.

This has serious fuck with possibilities.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah this would be great for radio tonight.

If not, it would also be great for radio next week.

Thread Information