Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: BILLIONS on Showtime

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    Im guessing they are intentionally making axelrod look like a hero and villain (Robin Hood) so it leaves it up to the viewer to determine which one he is, based on the viewer's own morals.

I loved the fake office fight last night.
    The best lines from the fake fight went something like this:

Bobby: You're gonna make so much money you'll be able to have another family(or something along those lines)
    Bill Stearn: 2 is enough for me.

ROFL.

Also, last nights episode showed Axlerod is a total douchebag with no redeeming qualities so, at least, that question has been answered.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Im guessing they are intentionally making axelrod look like a hero and villain (Robin Hood) so it leaves it up to the viewer to determine which one he is, based on the viewer's own morals.

I loved the fake office fight last night.

Bobby: You're gonna make so much money you'll be able to have another family(or something along those lines)

ROFL.

Also, last nights episode showed Axlerod is a total douchebag with no redeeming qualities so, at least, that question has been answered.

LOL I was laughing along as they fought. Several solid lines.

Well, Axe was also a person who fought for his company, and punished those who screwed him (the ones who left and started their own firm). He found a way to financially support the guy's gay spouse/boyfriend and his kids. He tried to teach his kids to wrap presents and not have others do that work.

Every episode has lessons where he is both a dick and the good guy. How do you view him?.....

Load Metric

ROFL.

Well, Axe was also a person who fought for his company, and punished those who screwed him (the ones who left and started their own firm). He found a way to financially support the guy's gay spouse/boyfriend and his kids. He tried to teach his kids to wrap presents and not have others do that work.

Every episode has lessons where he is both a dick and the good guy. How do you view him?.....
    He never tries to teach his kids anything, that's his wife's doing 100%. He was going to get interns from work to do it.

Last episode showed his ulterior motives & they're not at all flattering. It showed that he basically orchestrated Donnie's death to occur when he wanted for best effect in his cat & mouse game with Chuck. For him to keep from Donnie that experimental treatment that could have extended his life & make it to Christmas was, I'm sure, put in there to show he's just a fucking scumbag willing to do anything. The fact that he paid 40M to take care of his family is immaterial.

It was IMO, the best episode to date as long as you don't think too closely about the timelines of things.

Comments

DRK Star: last night, I think his wife called him into kitchen, and then he walked over (or was about to walk over) there to help them.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric

ROFL.

Damian Lewis is a straight up pzamp, great actor and was amazing in home land

and Paul Giamatti is for sure going to kill some one before this is over

the last episode was one of the best

full LoL during the office fight

tine needs to revaluate this show from a less curmudgeonly view i think

vikings is still better for now

Comments

Sanlmar: Just caught up last episode. Agree

sonatine: yes vikings is much better
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric

He never tries to teach his kids anything, that's his wife's doing 100%. He was going to get interns from work to do it.

Last episode showed his ulterior motives & they're not at all flattering. It showed that he basically orchestrated Donnie's death to occur when he wanted for best effect in his cat & mouse game with Chuck. For him to keep from Donnie that experimental treatment that could have extended his life & make it to Christmas was, I'm sure, put in there to show he's just a fucking scumbag willing to do anything. The fact that he paid 40M to take care of his family is immaterial.

It was IMO, the best episode to date as long as you don't think too closely about the timelines of things.

OR, you could look at it as he didnt want him to suffer for several more weeks, and the 40mil would help him, but he may go to jail during those last few weeks and it wouldnt be worth it in the end. (kind of a stretch here, but you can make that logic work). why keep him alive, only so he could spend it in jail. let him die gracefully early, and get 40mil for his loved ones.

If you were him, would you have fired the company shrink by now?

in the kitchen, he asks, "Is this a teachable moment for me or them?" He then says, "I'll go wrap". So, this quick scene was put in just for these moments where he is a dick, but then realizes it, and tries to be the good guy. No other reason for that scene, IMO.

Load Metric
    lol at drk super in love with his fellow ginger also the wife is a cooze the name malin is awful and they need to do a spinoff about the pizza shop owner

Comments

DRK Star: I want to argue with you...but..........

Load Metric
    Dr: "He is a candidate for a trial in pittsburgh thats been yielding some pretty interesting results"

Axe: 'Such as?"

Dr. "Slowing growth down...buying time, really"

Axe: "How much?"

Dr. "3 or 4 months more.....6. I can get him in, but it IS a pretty RIGOROUS course"

Axe: "So....kinda rough for a guy whose been through a lot already"

Dr. "It can be"

Axe: "Maybe we shouldnt bring it up"

Dr. "Ya think?"

Axe: "Well I mean, what kind of quality of life would he have?"

Dr. "Best not to bring it up then"

If you think Axe is evil, you think he is a scumbag for saying these things

If you think he is a good guy, you think he is being sympathetic here and concerned for the guy's quality of life and wants to not let him suffer more.

Load Metric
    bruh are you conducting a survey what are you doing here nerd hes obv meant to be good slash slightly grey but aspirational and they gloss over a ton of boring fake trading stuff by having him do like frame by frame perfect memory nonsense so you just assume hes good at his job cuz of that also they cancelled togetherness today which is a wayyyyyyyyyyy better show

Comments

DRK Star: #punctuation

Load Metric
    Dr: "He is a candidate for a trial in pittsburgh thats been yielding some pretty interesting results"

Dr. "3 or 4 months more.....6. I can get him in, but it IS a pretty RIGOROUS course"

Dr. "It can be"

Dr. "Ya think?"

If you think he is a good guy, you think he is being sympathetic here and concerned for the guy's quality of life and wants to not let him suffer more.
    Yeah, but they showed that scene right after it was revealed that the "secret santa" thing was really, really important to him & was hoping to make it to Christmas to see it through & He & his wife knew this. Buying him some extra time was also the premise of him going to see "Bobby's guy" in the first place so for him to do what he did & keep this option away from him was pure scum-baggery.

Comments

DRK Star: but that extra care is RIGOROUS and he has been through a lot, already. What kind of quality of life would he have?....we can go back and forth all day :)

Baron Von Strucker:
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric

Dr. "It can be"

Dr. "Ya think?"

Yeah, but they showed that scene right after it was revealed that the "secret santa" thing was really, really important to him & was hoping to make it to Christmas to see it through & He & his wife knew this. Buying him some extra time was also the premise of him going to see "Bobby's guy" in the first place so for him to do what he did & keep this option away from him was pure scum-baggery.
    Donny told Ax that he didn't have a lot of cash left from his divorce. Ax told him he would have to work and do shady stuff to leave some cash for his family. I guess it was shitty for Ax to make the decision for him probably for selfish reasons too but during the funeral some one said he left his family 40 million so mabey it was worth it for both.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Silver
    Load Metric
    This dumbass show took a week off about a month ago and lost me for life.

I don't feel like I've missed anything. Should I finish the season out?

Was really pretentious for this show to miss a week and it felt like the show was way too proud of itself and it just felt right now coming back.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Should I finish the season out?

Technically, no.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

OR, you could look at it as he didnt want him to suffer for several more weeks, and the 40mil would help him, but he may go to jail during those last few weeks and it wouldnt be worth it in the end. (kind of a stretch here, but you can make that logic work). why keep him alive, only so he could spend it in jail. let him die gracefully early, and get 40mil for his loved ones.

Load Metric
    Every character on this show is annoying and frankly incompetent.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    avoiding thread because i'm behind, but this was in my feed for anyone who likes the music in the show..

Load Metric
    Billions. Good show.

It's loosely based on current assistant U.S. Attorney for New York Preet Bharara. (the one who shutdown PokerStars and Full Tilt Poker on April 15th 2011)

Also inspired by hedge fund manager Steven Cohen.
    He ran SAC Capital Advisors for over 2 decades returning an average of 25%.
    The SEC was after Cohen for years for insider trading. The government would indict and convicted his top salesmen/traders but they never could get him.

Finally, Cohen's company plead guilty to insider trading and paid $1.8 Billion in penalties and stopped managing other people's money.

Today he runs a smaller firm about $11 Billion under management and made about 16% in profit last year.

Comments

sonatine: Genuinely interesting shit right here.

Load Metric
    like, new ep is on showtime on-demand.

oh and its still garbage alright.

for starters, ripping off scorsese isnt an homage, its just stealing his work.

second off yawwwwwwwwwwwn.

third off sonsofanarchybroad's dialog is so very, very bad and quite literally had me physically squirming in my chair.

fourth off oh look awesome the show is once again propelled by character flaws that no adult on earth would have, much less survive.

etc etc.

there were some decent moments but im really concerned that this is going to be one of those 'blow our artistic load on ep 1 and make a big impression' slides into stunning and total mediocrity from here out.

Load Metric
    Billions is god. I can not wait for season 2.
    "I hit that shot because it was a defining moment and when a defining moment comes along, you either define the moment or the moment defines you" Roy "Tin Cup" Mcevoy

Load Metric
    So Koppelman immersed himself in the underground NY poker clubs before Moneymaker was a thing. He had a story to tell populated with interesting characters.

Koppelman did the same thing here. I particularly liked his stories of lunches & dinners with the hedge fund guys he interviewed. He admits Rounders gave him entre with these billionaires he wouldn't otherwise have had.

The billionaires would order the most expensive wine for lunch and raise their finger to order more. They were not going to deliver information for Koppelman's story without somehow winning in the exchange. The check would be thousands and it would hurt Koppelman. It wasn't the meal but the pain they could deliver. GG

Koppelman's interviews with AG's were equally interesting. The obvious question was posed. "Why would you continue making $175k when you could be making healthy 7 figures with a firm?" The answer, "because I get to decide which cases to pursue and which to let slide. It's the power."

I actually found the AG side of Billions more interesting & insightful.

The story has been told imo. I loved the last season 1 episode. For the same reason nobody needs a Rounder II - I will prolly pass on Billions season 2.

In hindsight, Sonatine has some valid criticism. I ascribe some of the fail to the merry-go-round of directors. Relationship shit from one director. Emphasis on visual symbolism from another. It sometimes seemed disjointed.

Was Billions great? There were HOF moments. I enjoyed trying to cypher out Koppelman's message. Koppelman has credibility and talent and I wanted to see what he did.

Honestly I prolly garnered more enjoyment listening to the backstories and research than the actual show.

Load Metric
    I usually don't make plans to watch shows but I have for this show. I know where I'll be @ 10PM tonight.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Thread Information