Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: ***Official Las Vegas Legal Marijuana Thread***

Load Metric
    im not much of a conspiracy dude but the difficulty in finding original sub-narcotic strains of weed is impossible to ignore or explain.

when i think that there are people sitting on pure chocolate thai who simply dont want to share it, and insist on breeding it with lemon bass tits or neon jew-hive, i get this real deep down type of mad going on where my pulse rate actually rises and i start getting all wide eyed and tense.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    im not much of a conspiracy dude but the difficulty in finding original sub-narcotic strains of weed is impossible to ignore or explain.

when i think that there are people sitting on pure chocolate thai who simply dont want to share it, and insist on breeding it with lemon bass tits or neon jew-hive, i get this real deep down type of mad going on where my pulse rate actually rises and i start getting all wide eyed and tense.
    the main problem is most everything has been hybridized, but i know at least one company who tries to go to exotic locations where original land races can't be pollinated by alien strains

vice actually followed them on one of their trips and like a year later their main breeder "died of malaria" in africa or something

from what i understand, you can even back breed not pure strains - not sure if that is the correct word

not saying it would be at all easy - i'm sure it would prolly be resource intensive but the payoff could be huge

Load Metric
    26% thc is schizophrenia bait.

fuck outta here with that.
    I wasn't suggesting les go with that high of a thc percentage, just using the test result as an example seeing it has a good terp profile.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post

from what i understand, you can even back breed not pure strains - not sure if that is the correct word

not saying it would be at all easy - i'm sure it would prolly be resource intensive but the payoff could be huge

honestly, it is simply not possible, not without CRISPR and even then you need a baseline from the pure strain.

this isnt me talking out of ass, its just science and its a very personal subject to me based on years of west coast steelhead conservationism. it is why its legal to harvest steelhead raised in hatcheries but illegal to harvest wild strains; the hatchery fish will breed with the native wild strains and fuck up hundreds of thousands of years of breeding and natural selection in minutes.

and with pot strains, we are talking about psychotropic compounds on a molecular level here. its pragmatically impossible to undo hybridization in a meaningful and complete way. you can breed out the obvious shit like color, bud density, accelerated harvest maturity, even taste or couch-lock etc. but without a mapped genome and the ability to audit it precisely, there is no recovering the original gene profile in a way thats going to do justice to what makes something like chocolate thai amazing.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    26% thc is schizophrenia bait.

fuck outta here with that.
    I wasn't suggesting les go with that high of a thc percentage, just using the test result as an example seeing it has a good terp profile.

totes, im just disgusted that the industry is moving in that direction like a freight train.

Load Metric

honestly, it is simply not possible, not without CRISPR and even then you need a baseline from the pure strain.

this isnt me talking out of ass, its just science and its a very personal subject to me based on years of west coast steelhead conservationism. it is why its legal to harvest steelhead raised in hatcheries but illegal to harvest wild strains; the hatchery fish will breed with the native wild strains and fuck up hundreds of thousands of years of breeding and natural selection in minutes.

and with pot strains, we are talking about psychotropic compounds on a molecular level here. its pragmatically impossible to undo hybridization in a meaningful and complete way. you can breed out the obvious shit like color, bud density, accelerated harvest maturity, even taste or couch-lock etc. but without a mapped genome and the ability to audit it precisely, there is no recovering the original gene profile in a way thats going to do justice to what makes something like chocolate thai amazing.
    depends how far down the line you are

and i was more suggesting getting true landrace strains by visiting those corners of the world where the genetics are still pure, and stable as fuck

which isn't easy, or getting genetics from someone who has
    Last edited by WillieMcFML; 11-08-2017 at 10:58 PM.

Load Metric

the main problem is most everything has been hybridized, but i know at least one company who tries to go to exotic locations where original land races can't be pollinated by alien strains

vice actually followed them on one of their trips and like a year later their main breeder "died of malaria" in africa or something

You're talking about Arjan and Franco from Strain Hunters. I'm fortunate enough to call them friends. Franco sadly died of malaria after going to the Congo while working on a cure for of all things malaria. He got a horrific case of cerebral malaria.

So, here's the thing about true Landrace strains... Most of the actual seeds you are talking about are incredibly difficult to find, and even if you do find them you have to go through extensive pheno hunting to find a solid cultivar. I know growers here doing exactly what you are talking about, and yes it hits a niche, but most of what they're growing is not a true example of what the old school strain was.

That said, I do have certain old school Landrace strains that we grow, some of which are best sellers, but as far as searching out the true Landrace strains from South America, Hawaii, and Thailand... I just haven't ever seen a good source.

Maybe down the road, but I'm sitting on so many strains now I can't take on more.

Load Metric

totes, im just disgusted that the industry is moving in that direction like a freight train.
    I grow everything from 3% THC (with CBD) to the plus 30%, but the majority land in high teens, low 20's. In a medical market you are correct, they mostly want high THC, but in a rec market it's a bit different. The people our age and older want the lower testing stuff.

Comments

sonatine: extremely good point

Load Metric
    either way vegas, whether these are the real strains of their youth or kinda, market the shit to older buyers by the decade they were in junior/high school

once you see this starts flying off your shelf, hire me

it'll only be a 6 month contract cause this is the only good idea i have

besides my best idea, getting the company to pay for you to go to hawaii, mexico, columbia, thailand, panama, etc

Load Metric
    I already have a true cut of Durban Poison (insanely hard to get) and a cross from 2 Landrace strains from Nepal and India... I do want to hunt certain cornerstone Landrace strains, cause honestly that's the building blocks of everything. It's just not that time yet, but that is kinda the end game and as cool as what I'm doing right now, that's the 10th level shit right there. You're basically starting from scratch in the breeding game if you can obtain certain seeds scattered across the globe.

Load Metric
    I already have a true cut of Durban Poison (insanely hard to get) and a cross from 2 Landrace strains from Nepal and India... I do want to hunt certain cornerstone Landrace strains, cause honestly that's the building blocks of everything. It's just not that time yet, but that is kinda the end game and as cool as what I'm doing right now, that's the 10th level shit right there. You're basically starting from scratch in the breeding game if you can obtain certain seeds scattered across the globe.
    I first smoked true Durban Poison back in 1988 on my first day in South Africa on a train with South African Defense Force troops who were being deployed to fight the Cubans up in the Angola. That was one strange night.
    Last edited by Jayjami; 11-10-2017 at 07:30 AM.

Silver
    Load Metric
    to go a little further, you could market to your older customers something like this:

70-80's section: could have maui wowie, acapulco gold, columbian red, thai, etc
    Yeah, let me get some of that flame!

Name:  hightimes3.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  80.1 KB

Diamond
    Load Metric

Case in point, Chocolope. It's Cannalope Haze x Chocolate Thai. Pretty big yielder and when you dry hit it, you can actually taste the chocolate flavor. Unfortunately, when I went to Vegas, only one place had it and it wasn't a good phenotype so I wasn't impressed.

Silver
    Load Metric

I grow everything from 3% THC (with CBD) to the plus 30%, but the majority land in high teens, low 20's. In a medical market you are correct, they mostly want high THC, but in a rec market it's a bit different. The people our age and older want the lower testing stuff.
    I'm not much of a smoker pretty much gave it up after college, but damn the stuff today Is different. In my day we used to buy nickel and dime bags typically some Mexican weed. If you were lucky you could get some indica. The last time I smoked, don't know what it was, but it literally knocked me on my ass. I couldn't function LOL

Reports on the news now in California are saying they expect prices to nearly double when rec use is legalized, is this different than the experience in Vegas?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hutmaster View Post

I'm not much of a smoker pretty much gave it up after college, but damn the stuff today Is different. In my day we used to buy nickel and dime bags typically some Mexican weed. If you were lucky you could get some indica. The last time I smoked, don't know what it was, but it literally knocked me on my ass. I couldn't function LOL

Reports on the news now in California are saying they expect prices to nearly double when rec use is legalized, is this different than the experience in Vegas?
    Taxes increased the price, but not near doubled. It's important for our prices to stay on par with what people are used to, so the majority of us aren't trying to gouge. We could, but the relationships with dispensaries and locals are more important. Vegas is a small town. You start trying to rape people here you won't be around very long.
    Last edited by vegas1369; 11-09-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Load Metric
    In a medical market you are correct, they mostly want high THC, but in a rec market it's a bit different. The people our age and older want the lower testing stuff.
    I would have assumed it was the other way around, that cancer-seizure nerds wanted high cbd low thc, while dudes looking to get their blains blown out would want high thc low cbd

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsSatire View Post
    In a medical market you are correct, they mostly want high THC, but in a rec market it's a bit different. The people our age and older want the lower testing stuff.
    I would have assumed it was the other way around, that cancer-seizure nerds wanted high cbd low thc, while dudes looking to get their blains blown out would want high thc low cbd
    Cancer patients want high thc as painkiller, obv.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsSatire View Post
    And also, here it wasn't all that easy to get a card, and people love their guns here and tend not to want to give those up, so most of the people with cards here are either really sick and need high dosages or "connoisseurs".

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Follow up. I contacted the dispenser once again and all they could say was they had a couple of strains that might be close to Blue Dream. One was Durban Poison. I read a bit on it and decided to try it. I'm happy with it. What's not to be happy about after all? Still, very little other that anecdotal info from the local outlets.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Follow up. I contacted the dispenser once again and all they could say was they had a couple of strains that might be close to Blue Dream. One was Durban Poison. I read a bit on it and decided to try it. I'm happy with it. What's not to be happy about after all? Still, very little other that anecdotal info from the local outlets.
    I had what was called "premium" Durban Poison, and it was billed as a 100% sativa. I found it to be too strong. I went overboard when I tried it by smoking a normal amount. Not cool,

Thread Information