Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiger ties Nicklaus with 73rd PGA Tour win at Memorial

Platinum
    Load Metric

Tiger ties Nicklaus with 73rd PGA Tour win at Memorial

And what a win it was! Back to back bogeys on 10 and 11 to fall 4 back, but hangs in there and has one the most amazing finishes birdies 3 of the last 4 to win.

The first one on 15 was one of the classic Tiger chip ins from death had the entire state of Ohio shaking the crowd went so crazy. Behind the green, bad lie straight downhill staring at 4, and he hits a shot very few can pull off and holes it for a 2 to take the lead for good as the other leaders crumbled.

Next up is Sam Snead at number 1 with 82 wins.

SFO.

http://notbillwalton.lockerdome.com/media/1031318
    Last edited by NaturalBornHustler; 06-03-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    he putted 15th in it was the 16th with the flop shot

Silver
    Load Metric
    That was pure old school Tiger today. Jack said the chip on 16 was the greatest shot he has ever seen at Muirfield.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Classic old school Tiger is right, after that went in Sabbatini pretty much went in the tank and it was over. It was like 2000 all over again, a knife straight into the heart of the leaders.

Tiger now 6-1 to win the US Open, clear favorite.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'm no Tiger fan but that was greatness. Best shot I can remember seeing.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    I'm no Tiger fan but that was greatness. Best shot I can remember seeing.
    He flopped a shot 10yds onto a green, the ball rolled in the hole. Is that seriously the best shot you have ever seen?

I've watched this man at the driving range... RIP

Last edited by Deal; 06-03-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Moe Norman

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hutmaster View Post
    That was pure old school Tiger today. Jack said the chip on 16 was the greatest shot he has ever seen at Muirfield.
    A great shot, no doubt, but let's not go too overboard with the Tiger hyperbole.

I get a kick out of announcers saying things like "Tiger is the ONLY PLAYER who could make that shot". I don't know if this happened on this shot but I'm pretty sure there are hundreds of players on the PGA & other tours around the world that make incredible shots on a daily basis. That's why they are pro golfers.

Great shot at a great time to achieve a great result but hardly the best shot ever made. His shot for birdie from behind the 16th at Augusta on the final day was a harder shot than this so it wasn't even his best shot in competition. Again, a great shot, but let's(and by this I mean the media)not go too overboard with the Tiger ass kissing although I'm sure this is wishful thinking.
    I'm sure TSN's(Canada)top 10 list will be about all the incredible shots that only Tiger could pull off & I'll have to change the channel to prevent myself from puking.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    A great shot, no doubt, but let's not go too overboard with the Tiger hyperbole.

I get a kick out of announcers saying things like "Tiger is the ONLY PLAYER who could make that shot". I don't know if this happened on this shot but I'm pretty sure there are hundreds of players on the PGA & other tours around the world that make incredible shots on a daily basis. That's why they are pro golfers.

Great shot at a great time to achieve a great result but hardly the best shot ever made. His shot for birdie from behind the 16th at Augusta on the final day was a harder shot than this so it wasn't even his best shot in competition. Again, a great shot, but let's(and by this I mean the media)not go too overboard with the Tiger ass kissing although I'm sure this is wishful thinking.
    I'm sure TSN's(Canada)top 10 list will be about all the incredible shots that only Tiger could pull off & I'll have to change the channel to prevent myself from puking.

I should have said it's one of the best shots I've ever seen. The reasons are as follows.

This shot was much, much, much harder that the famous chip in on 16 at Augusta. Here's why.

This shot was on a downhill lie, in the rough, facing a treacherously fast downhill green with water awaiting. The only way he could possibly get it on the green would be to take a somewhat normal swing and land it in the rough and hope it came out at all, or with the appropriate speed. That's a crap shoot. His other option is to do what he did and risk the tournament. Take a look at the length of his swing. It's a 3/4 swing. Any error here at it's tournament over. He's one stroke out of first at this time. He turned a likely bogey or worse into a tie for the lead and then rubs it in on 18.

The shot at the Masters was similar only in the pace of the green. It was a chip. This was a pitch from hell. Tiger and all the announcers said this shot was several times more difficult than the chip in at Augusta.

He has made many "miraculous" shots but it's also a shot in the arm for tiger. It's historic and you'll see it played for years to come.

Platinum
    Load Metric

The "announcer" who said it was one of the greatest shots he has ever seen under the circumstances, was Jack Nicklaus, not some hype machine commentator. It was the only other golfer on the planet who is in the same class as Tiger, and more importantly the guy who built the course and knows exactly how hard that shot is.

Edit - limitles summed it up nicely.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post

The "announcer" who said it was one of the greatest shots he has ever seen under the circumstances, was Jack Nicklaus, not some hype machine commentator. It was the only other golfer on the planet who is in the same class as Tiger, and more importantly the guy who built the course and knows exactly how hard that shot is.

Edit - limitles summed it up nicely.
    Not quite what i said Hustler.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If you require logic in your threads hockeyguy then here's your chance.....

I'll wait

Load Metric
    I should have said it's one of the best shots I've ever seen. The reasons are as follows.

This shot was much, much, much harder that the famous chip in on 16 at Augusta. Here's why.

This shot was on a downhill lie, in the rough, facing a treacherously fast downhill green with water awaiting. The only way he could possibly get it on the green would be to take a somewhat normal swing and land it in the rough and hope it came out at all, or with the appropriate speed. That's a crap shoot. His other option is to do what he did and risk the tournament. Take a look at the length of his swing. It's a 3/4 swing. Any error here at it's tournament over. He's one stroke out of first at this time. He turned a likely bogey or worse into a tie for the lead and then rubs it in on 18.

The shot at the Masters was similar only in the pace of the green. It was a chip. This was a pitch from hell. Tiger and all the announcers said this shot was several times more difficult than the chip in at Augusta.

He has made many "miraculous" shots but it's also a shot in the arm for tiger. It's historic and you'll see it played for years to come.
    You've made some very valid points & I have said it was a great shot, there is no denying that.

My only point is how overboard the media(Jack Nicklaus is not the media but it's his tournament & would it probably be a good thing for him to bring attention to it)goes with hyperbole surrounding Tiger. Phil Mickelson & many other pros would attempt & pull off shots like this all the time. I'm not saying they all pull off this shot(within 5 feet)in this situation but many could & would & have(maybe not in the situation because many have never been in that situation).

Full & 3/4 swing sand wedge shots happen all the time from 10 feet off the green in some real fucked up places & lies. He would have been extremely happy to put that within 5 feet of the cup as would every golfer on the pro tour. This one just happened to go in the cup. Granted, even if it had missed the cup it wasn't going to be any more than 6" away.

I actually agree that this shot was tougher than the one at 16 @ Augusta but most casual golf fans would never agree with that & I didn't feel like getting flamed for saying it. You watch TSN in Canada so do you really think that this shot will be placed ahead of the other @ the top of the Tiger's top ten shots list? I think we both agree that it should, but I don't think it will.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

You've made some very valid points & I have said it was a great shot, there is no denying that.

My only point is how overboard the media(Jack Nicklaus is not the media but it's his tournament & would it probably be a good thing for him to bring attention to it)goes with hyperbole surrounding Tiger. Phil Mickelson & many other pros would attempt & pull off shots like this all the time. I'm not saying they all pull off this shot(within 5 feet)in this situation but many could & would & have(maybe not in the situation because many have never been in that situation).

Full & 3/4 swing sand wedge shots happen all the time from 10 feet off the green in some real fucked up places & lies. He would have been extremely happy to put that within 5 feet of the cup as would every golfer on the pro tour. This one just happened to go in the cup. Granted, even if it had missed the cup it wasn't going to be any more than 6" away.

I actually agree that this shot was tougher than the one at 16 @ Augusta but most casual golf fans would never agree with that & I didn't feel like getting flamed for saying it. You watch TSN in Canada so do you really think that this shot will be placed ahead of the other @ the top of the Tiger's top ten shots list? I think we both agree that it should, but I don't think it will.
    I don't know what you base your statement about casual golfers on. Just because someone is a casual or non golfer doesn't mean they can't understand the difficulty of a shot especially when it's explained by former pros.

I think it's easily in Tigers top ten possibly top five because of where it came in the tournament and what he'll likely take from it. He made the very difficult birdie on 18 look like a walk in the park. Tiger Woods with confidence is something to watch.

Platinum
    Load Metric

I actually agree that this shot was tougher than the one at 16 @ Augusta but most casual golf fans would never agree with that & I didn't feel like getting flamed for saying it. .
    That is because most casual fans have no idea how hard that shot is, because they don't have any concept of the skill level it takes to even try it much less pull it off.

If you can find the press conference afterwards, just played it on sportscenter and Nicklaus explained in more detail why it was so hard. He isn't some fanboy, he knows what he is talking about.

And that ball went in on it's last rotation, if it didn't go in it would have been 6mm away not 6ft.

Load Metric
    I don't know what you base your statement about casual golfers on. Just because someone is a casual or non golfer doesn't mean they can't understand the difficulty of a shot especially when it's explained by former pros.

I think it's easily in Tigers top ten possibly top five because of where it came in the tournament and what he'll likely take from it. He made the very difficult birdie on 18 look like a walk in the park. Tiger Woods with confidence is something to watch.
    I base it on the notion that most, if not all, casual fans would not watch, or remember 6 months later having watched, the former pros explanation & just remember they had beeen inundated for years with the replay of his shot from Augusta basically being rammed down our throats as the greatest shot in golf history. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I've seen that top 10 list broadcast before & that Augusta shot was rated as the greatest shot ever.

I agree it should be a top 5 shot for him given the circumstances but I don't think it will be rated ahead of the Augusta shot, which has always been #1, in the surely upcoming TSN Top Ten Tiger's Greatest Shots. We'll have to wait & see though.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post

I actually agree that this shot was tougher than the one at 16 @ Augusta but most casual golf fans would never agree with that & I didn't feel like getting flamed for saying it. .
    That is because most casual fans have no idea how hard that shot is, because they don't have any concept of the skill level it takes to even try it much less pull it off.

If you can find the press conference afterwards, just played it on sportscenter and Nicklaus explained in more detail why it was so hard. He isn't some fanboy, he knows what he is talking about.

And that ball went in on it's last rotation, if it didn't go in it would have been 6mm away not 6ft.
    Your first point we are already agreeing on so I don't know who you're trying to convince. I thought the wording in my response conveyed that perfectly.

Your second point is exactly why I say a casual fan would never agree that this was tougher than the Augusta shot. A casual fan would never go out of their way to look up this press conference to see what Jack Nicklaus said about it. Even if they saw this being said during the highlight show they would most likely not remember this later & remember this other shot because it's been burned into their conciousness ad nauseum for the last several years. When the next TSN, or whatever it would be in the States, top 10 list comes out & the Augusta shot is still ahead of this one on it, it will be official. I'm not saying it's right but if the Augusta shot stays ahead of this one when that list comes out then it will be annointed as the better shot by casual fans.

Your third point is absolutely correct. I typed 6" which means 6 inches. If I meant 6 feet I would have typed 6'. My 6" or 6 inch guesstimation was surely an absolute worst case scenario considering, as limitles had pointed out, it was downhill.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'm giving you a hard time here hockey guy because you were so insistent about logic in the NHL thread. You cannot speak for a large number of people in how they will think however. Having a notion isn't logical. Based on seeing one shot against the other it's logical to think the majority of people could determine the more difficult shot. I know what you're saying with regards to the "Nike" moment but the issue really is the degree of dificulty.

Load Metric
    I'm giving you a hard time here hockey guy because you were so insistent about logic in the NHL thread. You cannot speak for a large number of people in how they will think however. Having a notion isn't logical. Based on seeing one shot against the other it's logical to think the majority of people could determine the more difficult shot. I know what you're saying with regards to the "Nike" moment but the issue really is the degree of dificulty.
    I think it's logical to conclude that if you showed casual fans just these 2 highlights and nothing else, which would be my definition of a casual fan, the majority, if not almost all, would choose the shot that has a 40 foot break in it, that they've seen for years & been told it was the greatest shot ever, happened on one of the most famous holes on the most famous course in the world, and occured in a major as the most difficult. I think we're in agreement that this would not be correct but I think that's what would happen.

We'll have to wait until that TSN list comes out for it to become official. I could be wrong & maybe I'm not giving casual fans enough credit but I don't think I am.

Btw, I agree that a confident Tiger is bad news for everybody on the tour because a confident Tiger is the best putter in the world.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Bronze
    Load Metric
    fwiw those greens were ridiculous fast and he was down one at this point with 3 holes to go. it was more the situation.. he leaves it high up on bank it would of rolled to left he hit to far gone off green. resulting in a 4 or 5. obvs because its tiger it adds to the greatness its just the way golf is. tiger makes golf interesting , hes the reason i watch it and im sure majority of fans enjoy it

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I think it's logical to conclude that if you showed casual fans just these 2 highlights and nothing else, which would be my definition of a casual fan, the majority, if not almost all, would choose the shot that has a 40 foot break in it, that they've seen for years & been told it was the greatest shot ever, happened on one of the most famous holes on the most famous course in the world, and occured in a major as the most difficult. I think we're in agreement that this would not be correct but I think that's what would happen.

We'll have to wait until that TSN list comes out for it to become official. I could be wrong & maybe I'm not giving casual fans enough credit but I don't think I am.

Btw, I agree that a confident Tiger is bad news for everybody on the tour because a confident Tiger is the best putter in the world.

Anyway we're way off track here.....conjecture of what the average viewer thinks or could judge is irrelevant. A number of people have stated this is one of the great shots by Tiger in an important point in time for him. The point has been proven that it was a much more difficult shot than the Masters shot. Risk/reward was much higher.

So there we have it, limitles wins yet another discussion/argument

Devils 3-0 tonight ftw.

Thread Information