View Poll Results: Who would you vote for right now?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rand Paul

7 6.09%
  • Christie

1 0.87%
  • Trump

46 40.00%
  • Hilary

11 9.57%
  • Bernie

33 28.70%
  • Carson

1 0.87%
  • Cruz

6 5.22%
  • Rubio

6 5.22%
  • Bush

1 0.87%
  • Kasich

3 2.61%
Page 143 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145 LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,860 of 2888

Thread: President 2016

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToasterOven View Post

I don't believe you.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/10/1...rocery.strike/

This is a cnn article from the time. Even at the high seniority end of the scale, it's 17.90 an hour. With time and a half, someone could make some money if they wanted to work 70 hours a week, I guess. But, workers would be unlikely to pick up more than a few hours of overtime.
    This is what you are quoting:

The press release also points out that after two years of employment, a grocery clerk can make up to $17.90 an hour. A clerk can earn one-and-a-half that hourly amount on Sundays, and three times that much on contractual holidays
    Note the bolded part.

I wasn't talking about the relatively new 2-year employees when I threw out my figure. I was talking about the ones with seniority who had been there forever. I made that clear several times.

Are you seriously this ignorant about unions? 2 years is how long it takes to get max pay. Please stop presenting yourself as an authority on things you know absolutely nothing about.

Load Metric
    I do agree with druff that Clinton and Trump are a fucking nightmare. I agree that both the dems and r's are in need of some serious change. I agree that corporations are a huge problem. I do not agree with anything you say about unions. Unions protect the workers from giant corporations (and their greedy jew ceo's)
    What question do you want me to answer exactly? Ask me a direct question and I will do my best to answer it.

Load Metric

In 2003, there was a major grocery store union strike in California, related to a proposed change to require workers to contribute some money toward health benefits.

At the time it was reported that grocery store checkers with seniority were earning over $60,000 per year (which would be more than $70k in today's money), and the unions did not dispute this.

This actually caused some backlash, as the public was generally supportive of the strike at first, but eventually came to see them as greedy for complaining about their salary and benefits when they were already making so much for an unskilled job.

I had not heard anything about grocery store employees making less since then. If it's true, then it was probably done because they couldn't compete with non-union shops.

I don't believe you.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/10/1...rocery.strike/

This is a cnn article from the time. Even at the high seniority end of the scale, it's 17.90 an hour. With time and a half, someone could make some money if they wanted to work 70 hours a week, I guess. But, workers would be unlikely to pick up more than a few hours of overtime.
    So I read your post and did some googling.
    Safeway: CEO Steve Burd only made $4 million, not $11 million. So this jew makes "only 4 million" while the people doing the work make 17k per year. Seems fair.Yeah who needs unions when we have reasonable and kind people like Steve Burd in charge. Im sure he will take care of all the employees and ensure a fair wage and benefits....
    obv he is a fucking jew

Load Metric
    here is a little history of albertsons ceo. He ran the company into the ground and fucked everyone over. And druff is gonna try and blame it on the unions?? ok buddy...
    http://www.ufcw.org/2006/06/08/larry...-in-the-lurch/

(Washington, DC) – Albertsons Supermarket CEO Larry Johnston and his management team ran the national grocery chain into the ground and then sold off the remains–crippling communities and leaving workers’ lives in turmoil in the process. They deserve to suffer the same fate as the workers they’ve put out of jobs. So why are they receiving multimillion dollar compensation packages?

Apparently, it’s the American way. After all, it’s not just Albertsons—CEO pay is skyrocketing across all industries. In 1960, the average CEO made 41 times more than the average worker. By 2004, the average CEO was making 431 times that of the average worker! And much of this money goes to CEOs whose poor performance is driving their companies, and their workers, into financial ruin.

The $17.7 billion sale of Albertsons to Minnesota grocer SuperValu, drug store chain CVS Corp. and a group of private investors led by Cerberus Capital Management, is the latest example of corporate greed gone haywire. The deal provides multimillion dollar “golden parachute” packages to the former Albertsons’ executives. In addition to CEO Larry Johnston, four other former executives received eight-figure compensation packages.

A “golden parachute” is a term for the clause in executives’ contracts that provide special compensation packages in case they lose their employment through an acquisition or a merger. The Albertsons board approved the compensation packages, and has repeatedly refused to discuss the details of executive compensation.

And while Albertsons’ former executives coast on their golden parachutes, their workers are being put out of work. On Tuesday, Albertsons announced that it is closing 37 stores in Northern California — about one-fifth of its total Northern California stores.

Workers are being left out in the cold while Larry Johnston and his cohorts enjoy their multi-million dollar reward packages:

Johnston, Albertsons’ president, chairman and chief executive officer: $105.5 million.
    Robert Dunst, executive vice president of technology and supply chain and the chief technology officer: $16.1 million.
    Paul Gannon, executive vice president for marketing and food operations: $15.5 million.
    John Sims, executive vice president and general counsel: $15.2 million.
    Felicia Thornton, executive vice president and chief financial officer: $17.2 million.
    Albertsons first agreed to sell the company to Supervalu, CVS, and the investor realty group in January. Albertsons operates around 2500 stores in 37 states, and employs about 86,200 UFCW members in its various stores who will be affected by the sale.

“Is this the kind America we want – one that rewards CEOs for doing a bad job and leaving workers foot the bill? Albertsons workers deserve better. We will continue to fight to protect supermarket workers from corporate greed run amok,” said UFCW International President Joe Hansen.

The UFCW is America’s neighborhood union, representing 1.4 million members in the supermarket, food processing, meatpacking and other industries. UFCW is a member of the Change to Win Federation of unions.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I don't know much about Dick Gregory but I know a guy that's exactly like him. At initial glance you will think your talking to somebody who's crazy. They are indeed a lil crazy but if you can filter out the crazy you will occasionally hear some truly fascinating nuggets of truth and marvel at their unique perspective on things. I would call them perspective savants.

That dude I knew would always surprise me with his knowledge of maybe 1 or 2 little known facts or events that I knew was true but couldn't believe he knew about as well. (small town stuff) I wonder if him and Dick Gregory have the same mental disorder or something, so similar.

This vid is ok but go to vid 2
    I can't verify any truths from this guy but i bet they're in there somewhere. They have a unique perspective on things and yea he may be a lil bit crazy too.

This vid is really interesting if any of this is true, i bet there is some truth in this one at the very least. You sports experts check it out.

Load Metric
    holy fuck Grady is still alive?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    This one is the first 10 minutes lol crazy but amusing and then at 10 min the potential sort of true part. He's talking about hiring experts to check out breast milk to see what's wrong in Flint. This was before the Flint lead in water scandal became known. Was he onto the flint water scandal, did he make up the whole story. Weird

Load Metric
    Name:  pew.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  25.3 KB

Pew poll running pretty much the same as the other major polls.

Gary Johnson ahead of Trump with 18-29 is pretty interesting. Doesn't bode very well for Republicans going forward without some course correction.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Are you seriously this ignorant about unions? 2 years is how long it takes to get max pay. Please stop presenting yourself as an authority on things you know absolutely nothing about.
    Two years is how long it takes to get max pay in all unions?

I highly doubt that, and in fact have read things that would strongly contradict that.

Go ahead and post a link backing this up. I even googled it and found nothing.

Load Metric
    Name:  pew.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  25.3 KB

Pew poll running pretty much the same as the other major polls.

Gary Johnson ahead of Trump with 18-29 is pretty interesting. Doesn't bode very well for Republicans going forward without some course correction.
    Wow. Gary Johnson is getting impressive numbers. The GOP has spent months looking for someone to replace Trump, and it's possible that the public found him in Johnson. His tax plan is completely loony, but otherwise he's alright. As a former Governor, he's certainly qualified. Governor are the only people who have real Executive Branch experience, but no foreign relations experience. There's a lot of time between now and November. If Johnson can run a solid campaign and get some media attention, he could shake things up. If he can get 10-20%, it pretty much hands the election to Hillary.

Jill Stein is getting around 4% in polls she's included in. She's a medical doctor who believes in homeopathy. The only elected office she's held is one seat on the Lexington, MA town council. Other than that, she's just lost elections for 15 years. She's making a play for angry Bernie Sanders supporters, and it's worked somewhat. She even offered him her spot on the Green ticket, knowing he would turn it down.

It's interesting that Trump's numbers look a lot like Bernie Sanders's number, with the ages inverted. Both guys do well with white males and lose all of the other demographics badly.

Load Metric

I highly doubt that, and in fact have read things that would strongly contradict that.

Not all unions are the same, no. UAW takes 3 years to get to max pay, I think. They raise every 6 months.

The grocery store people are United Food and Commercial worker, I think. I was actually in this union in high school when I bagged groceries, but I don't recall the pay increases.

Why do you need a link? It's right there in the article. After 2 years, you make 17.90. They are saying when you max out, you get 17.90. I highly doubt their contract is posted online.

Either way, you're saying these people get upwards of 40 dollars an hour to make around 70k. You're out of your tree.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Not all unions are the same, no. UAW takes 3 years to get to max pay, I think. They raise every 6 months.

The grocery store people are United Food and Commercial worker, I think. I was actually in this union in high school when I bagged groceries, but I don't recall the pay increases.

Why do you need a link? It's right there in the article. After 2 years, you make 17.90. They are saying when you max out, you get 17.90. I highly doubt their contract is posted online.

Either way, you're saying these people get upwards of 40 dollars an hour to make around 70k. You're out of your tree.
    So despite your arrogant proclamation that I don't know what I'm talking about, in reality you're just guessing about the grocery stores.

Got it.

Load Metric
    But you don't

Load Metric
    All union trades have an apprenticeship program. For instance you start out at w/e number and then you get a raise every 6 months until you reach journeyman wages.
    You didn't know that druff?
    I have not worked in a grocery store nor do I know anyone who does but Id imagine you get pay bumps similar to the trades.
    Tell me all about the reforms that need to be made over at local 1.
    And if the jew comments bother you I will refrain from saying them.

Load Metric

The UAW has been on a permanent two-tiered wage system since approx 2007. They start at 15ish and top out just under $20 in 4 years, permanently. This is for new hires. Those hired previous to 2007 top out above $30. Back when I worked as a benefits rep and other appointed positions for the UAW(left in 2006) it was technically 90 days to have union membership and protection, but a 3 year process to achieve full wages. I know the UAW was attempting to get rid of that tiered system last year. I have no idea if they were successful as I'm further removed from those that I used to work with and occasionally discuss it with.

At some point, I can't recall the legal reasons why, we won a judgement that got all those hired post 1995 retroactively paid for the period from 90 days until the 3 year mark. The company had done something untoward that had broken the law, so for those hired in that time period, they got 2.5 years worth of back payments which were significant, as they started at just over $13 hr with increases up to high 20s over that 3 year period, so it was basically an extra $16 for every hour they worked that first six months, then maybe $12 for every hour the next six months, etc. I just recall the younger hourly workers being quite happy with the victory as it came in a lump sum check that was roughly equivalent to a year's salary.

Having dealt with peripheral weaker unions in other industries, I would be shocked if a grocery union didn't have a protracted years long incrementalism to get to $17hr. I don't know for sure, but I suspect you're correct, as they were quite weak even in the 90s, which was a far more favorable climate for unions than presently.

Comments

ToasterOven: thanks, haven't looked at the contract recently

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post
    All union trades have an apprenticeship program. For instance you start out at w/e number and then you get a raise every 6 months until you reach journeyman wages.
    I have not worked in a grocery store nor do I know anyone who does but Id imagine you get pay bumps similar to the trades.
    Yeah but unions can screw with people. One of the stories my father told me that soured him on the unions in the philly shipyard was how some guys would work there for years but never get full benefits. They would get fired or layed off a day or two before working there long enough to get benefits then get rehired a day later and have to be on probation again. Some guys had this happen to them the whole time they worked there. And one of those guys died when a steel plate fell on him when some chains holding it up broke. His wife and family got no survivor benefits.

Load Metric
    BD,

I agree that unions are very useful to protect the interests of workers with company-specific skills, and ones that are dangerous. One of my brothers was an electrician at various large manufacturing facilities for about 30 years, was a vice president of the local at one of them for years because he saw how management tried to cut corners on safety. But even he thought supermarket worker unions were a joke. Because how much skill does it take to operate a cash register? Or bag groceries? And does one need anything like an apprenticeship program for that kind of job??? And what kind of hazards do folks working those jobs face?

Come on now. Be realistic about this matter. Not just give an automatic pro-union response because of your personal experience in an actual skilled trade union.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Druff please answer honestly.
    You and your family are moving into a brand new 500k home. It is 100% finished and it is ready to be moved into. Now be honest would you rather that home have been built by a union contractor and union workers or non union contractor and non union workers.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    BD,

I agree that unions are very useful to protect the interests of workers with company-specific skills, and ones that are dangerous. One of my brothers was an electrician at various large manufacturing facilities for about 30 years, was a vice president of the local at one of them for years because he saw how management tried to cut corners on safety. But even he thought supermarket worker unions were a joke. Because how much skill does it take to operate a cash register? Or bag groceries? And does one need anything like an apprenticeship program for that kind of job??? And what kind of hazards do folks working those jobs face?

Come on now. Be realistic about this matter. Not just give an automatic pro-union response because of your personal experience in an actual skilled trade union.
    I def agree with what you're saying that it takes no skill to bag groceries, this is a big reason they don't have much bargaining power.I do think everyone is entitled to a fair wage and benefits regardless of skill. Sure it takes no skill but standing on your feet all day at a cash register isn't the easiest way to make a living and I feel as if they should be fairly compensated.

Comments

Sanlmar:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    Yeah but unions can screw with people. One of the stories my father told me that soured him on the unions in the philly shipyard was how some guys would work there for years but never get full benefits. They would get fired or layed off a day or two before working there long enough to get benefits then get rehired a day later and have to be on probation again. Some guys had this happen to them the whole time they worked there. And one of those guys died when a steel plate fell on him when some chains holding it up broke. His wife and family got no survivor benefits.
    That type of stuff does happen unfortunately. I def lost out on some overtime over the years to guys who were buddies with the boss or were ass kissers.

Comments

Sanlmar: The overtime list rep

Thread Information