Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood Meridian (1985)

Load Metric

Blood Meridian (1985)

This is perhaps the finest novel that I have ever had the privilege to read. It’s a spellbinding work that is almost certainly influenced by an interesting primary source account of the Glanton Gang (scalphunting crusaders in the SW circa 1849) titled My Confession by Samuel Chamberlain. I don’t have this book, the only available copies are used and north of $200, but it’s apparently a captivating historical account that also contains some genteel and capable watercolors of the environment in which these stories take place. This primary source account by Chamberlain also contains the inspiration for one of literature’s most malevolent figures, the Judge.

Blood Meridian is atmospheric, dark, ultra-violent, and depraved. And yet it is profoundly beautiful. This book, invariably, will prove too difficult a read for the majority here (low IQs, not well read, etc.), but for the few who can manage it’s a rewarding experience.

The great literary critic and Yale professor, Harold Bloom, believes Blood Meridian is a late twentieth century masterpiece (I agree):

Comments

sonatine: what a delightful thread to make

Load Metric
    cormac is such a miracle. his hobby is collecting old letters from the eras he writes about.

this is weirdly enjoyable:

i wonder what he has in store for us, or if he has anything at all in store for us at this point.

his last screenplay was the forgettable 'the counselor' which seems to be an entire movie hung off of three absolutely legendary scenes:

the mexican narco baron explaining to the counselor that he will not know a happy ending and why and somehow making it sound like the natural order of things

the facilitator explaining how narcos have kidnappers on retainer who will snatch innocent girls off the streets for their bosses to rape/murder because when you get that wealthy and powerful, thats all you have left for fun basically

the same facilitator meeting his end

but is it a good movie? no... javiar bardem and cam diaz are game as fuck, there are no weak links per se, but it seems too uneven for the material. no country was of course based on a book and helmed by the coen brothers, the counselor did not have these advantages. its not bad but.. its just something of a misfire.

and thats so unusual, to have cormac involved with something that didnt bloom outright, i wonder if hes ever going to return to his old stomping grounds?

by the by the story of the film rights to blood meridian is absolutely bizarre unto itself and if you look hard enough in torrent land you can find the james franco movie 'based' on it.. ive deliberately avoided watching it out of solemn respect for the source material but someday... someday... maybe..

Comments

Krypt: context
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    christ i just looked up how much first editions of blood meridian sell for...

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Suttree and Outer Dark are next on my list

Rest In Peace
    Load Metric

Thank you for the recommendation of > "My Confession by Samuel Chamberlain"

Scored a 1st edition Jan. 1st 1956 copy for 180 bucks.

Def. shall read before "Blood Meridian".

Dec. 31, 2020 - Jan. 8, 2021
    Estimated delivery
    My Confession

I am excited
    Last edited by shoeshine box; 12-23-2020 at 10:26 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeshine box View Post
    Thank you for the recommendation of > "My Confession by Samuel Chamberlain"

Scored a 1st edition Jan. 1st 1956 copy for 180 bucks.

Def. shall read before "Blood Meridian".

Dec. 31, 2020 - Jan. 8, 2021
    Estimated delivery
    My Confession

I am excited
    nice score man... it’d be great if you could share some pics of inside the book once it arrives. I will ultimately buy it as well I think.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
    This is perhaps the finest novel that I have ever had the privilege to read. It’s a spellbinding work that is almost certainly influenced by an interesting primary source account of the Glanton Gang (scalphunting crusaders in the SW circa 1849) titled My Confession by Samuel Chamberlain. I don’t have this book, the only available copies are used and north of $200, but it’s apparently a captivating historical account that also contains some genteel and capable watercolors of the environment in which these stories take place. This primary source account by Chamberlain also contains the inspiration for one of literature’s most malevolent figures, the Judge.

Blood Meridian is atmospheric, dark, ultra-violent, and depraved. And yet it is profoundly beautiful. This book, invariably, will prove too difficult a read for the majority here (low IQs, not well read, etc.), but for the few who can manage it’s a rewarding experience.

The great literary critic and Yale professor, Harold Bloom, believes Blood Meridian is a late twentieth century masterpiece (I agree):
    It seems like everything you've just read, watched or heard about it is finest work of art.
    Just sayin.

Load Metric
    It was a Krypt post that finally got me to read Dune, I feel like I have no choice but to read Blood Meridian now. A quick Kindle store purchase locks me in.

Only other book by this guy I've read was No Country For Old Men, in late 2018. It was for a book club edition of an mma podcast patreon episode, as you might expect.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    It was a Krypt post that finally got me to read Dune, I feel like I have no choice but to read Blood Meridian now. A quick Kindle store purchase locks me in.

Only other book by this guy I've read was No Country For Old Men, in late 2018. It was for a book club edition of an mma podcast patreon episode, as you might expect.
    Let us know what you think.

I made my way through 2/3 of it on a 10 day trek in the Annapurna range of Nepal and it was one of the more memorable literary experiences of my life, sinking into it every night after busting my ass all day.

Comments

Krypt: amazin

Tellafriend: Awesome
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    I don’t have this book, the only available copies are used and north of $200
    Eh?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Merid...s%2C149&sr=8-1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiganer View Post
    I don’t have this book, the only available copies are used and north of $200
    Eh?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Merid...s%2C149&sr=8-1
    I was referencing physical copies of the Samuel Chamberlaine book

BTW if you don’t want to spend the $200, I found the digital copy of the book for free here thanks to the Library of Congress:

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet...e/n21/mode/1up

Load Metric
    I was referencing physical copies of the Samuel Chamberlaine book

BTW if you don’t want to spend the $200, I found the digital copy of the book for free here thanks to the Library of Congress:

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet...e/n21/mode/1up
    Thanks, I was being an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    Just bought Blood Meridian for Kindle. Thanks for the recommendation.
    POKER FAG ALERT! FOR BLOW JOB SEE SLOPPY JOE THE TRANNIE HO.

Load Metric
    Can the Saudi Prince (MBS) please commission Paul Thomas Anderson to direct the movie

Load Metric
    Can the Saudi Prince (MBS) please commission Paul Thomas Anderson to direct the movie

it may be another Naked Lunch situation... "the film would cost hundreds of millions of dollars and instantly be banned in every civilized country"

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    cormac is such a miracle. his hobby is collecting old letters from the eras he writes about.

i wonder what he has in store for us, or if he has anything at all in store for us at this point.

his last screenplay was the forgettable 'the counselor' which seems to be an entire movie hung off of three absolutely legendary scenes:

the mexican narco baron explaining to the counselor that he will not know a happy ending and why and somehow making it sound like the natural order of things

the facilitator explaining how narcos have kidnappers on retainer who will snatch innocent girls off the streets for their bosses to rape/murder because when you get that wealthy and powerful, thats all you have left for fun basically

but is it a good movie? no... javiar bardem and cam diaz are game as fuck, there are no weak links per se, but it seems too uneven for the material. no country was of course based on a book and helmed by the coen brothers, the counselor did not have these advantages. its not bad but.. its just something of a misfire.

and thats so unusual, to have cormac involved with something that didnt bloom outright, i wonder if hes ever going to return to his old stomping grounds?

by the by the story of the film rights to blood meridian is absolutely bizarre unto itself and if you look hard enough in torrent land you can find the james franco movie 'based' on it.. ive deliberately avoided watching it out of solemn respect for the source material but someday... someday... maybe..

Years ago I wrote of how much I enjoyed the movie. I caught some flack for it which I didn’t understand. I’ve watched it numerous times and found new tidbits here and there each time. Anyway, for those who haven’t watched it, invest the time- you will be glad you did.

And tine, the abogado explaining why the counselor was going to die was one of the best scenes I’ve ever seen. You described it perfectly.

Comments

sonatine: would you take her place on the wheel?

Load Metric
    about halfway through the book, the judge is explaining to the company that, “before man was, war waited for him” and then he says something that practically blew my polyester socks right off.

The Judge, continuing his line on why war has and will continue to permeate through time, asserts, “war endures because young men love it and old men love it in them”

fk that was A1

Comments

sonatine: also, necklace made of fuckin ears

Load Metric
    I am as big of a PTA stan that I know and still somehow don't want this to ever happen.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

Years ago I wrote of how much I enjoyed the movie. I caught some flack for it which I didn’t understand. I’ve watched it numerous times and found new tidbits here and there each time. Anyway, for those who haven’t watched it, invest the time- you will be glad you did.

And tine, the abogado explaining why the counselor was going to die was one of the best scenes I’ve ever seen. You described it perfectly.

I feel the need to share the underpinning of our conversation:

Jefe : Machado would have traded every word, every poem, every verse he ever wrote for one more hour with his beloved. And that is because when it comes to grief, the normal rules of exchange do not apply, because grief transcends value. A man would give entire nations to lift grief off his heart. And yet, you cannot buy anything with grief, because grief is worthless.

Counselor : Why are you telling me this?

Jefe : Because you continue to deny the reality of the world you're in. Do you love your wife so much, so completely, that you would exchange places with her upon the wheel? And I don't mean dying, because dying is easy.

Counselor : Yes! Yes, damn you!

Jefe : Well, that is good to hear, Counselor.

Counselor : What are you saying? Are you saying this is a possibility?

Jefe : No. It's impossible.

Counselor : You said I was that man - at that crossing.

Jefe : Yes. At the understanding that life is not going to take you back. You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. But for those with the understanding that they're living the last days of the world, death acquires a different meaning. The extinction of all reality is a concept no resignation can encompass. And then, all the grand designs and all the grand plans will be finally exposed and revealed for what they are. And now, Counselor, I have to go, because I have to make other calls. If I have time, I think I'll take a small nap.

[hangs up]

Load Metric
    honestly ive always believed that there are some works of literature, film, theater which hang off one moment that the author realized was so perfect that they simply draped an entire work around it.

for me, that was the scene that gave birth to 'the counselor'.

Thread Information