Thread: Presenting the Las Vegas Raiders, brought to you by Sheldon Adelson

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Presenting the Las Vegas Raiders, brought to you by Sheldon Adelson

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ments-reaction

Cliffs:

- Oakland Raiders considering move to Las Vegas

- Team officials were in Vegas to check out possible stadium sites

- Sheldon Adelson might cough up $1 billion to built a domed stadium for the team

I don't understand the need for a domed stadium. The NFL doesn't begin until mid-September, when temperatures in Vegas have usually come down.

Presumably they will want to use the stadium for other purposes during the summer, including a possible baseball team in the future.

The Las Vegas metropolitan area is the 30th biggest market in the country, with about 2 million people -- now approximately the same size as Cincinnati and Kansas City.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Cliffs:

- Sheldon Adelson might cough up $1 billion to built a domed stadium for the team

I don't understand the need for a domed stadium. The NFL doesn't begin until mid-September, when temperatures in Vegas have usually come down.

Presumably they will want to use the stadium for other purposes during the summer, including a possible baseball team in the future.

The Las Vegas metropolitan area is the 30th biggest market in the country, with about 2 million people -- now approximately the same size as Cincinnati and Kansas City.

Cliffs on your cliffs-

Raiders officials are coming later today to meet with UNLV representatives and Sands staff.

No way the NFL will allow any time soon a NFL team in Vegas.

Mark Davis is just using this as leverage against the city of Oakland to try to get a stadium deal done.

Vegas market is actually bigger than 4 NFL teams (Saints, Jaguars, Packers, Bills)

UNLV owns the land, there is also talk of building an on campus stadium for the football team. They have played since 1971 in a stadium 10 miles away on the outskirts of town.

The proposed site is basically across the street from UNLV but locals would have to basically cross the strip (Tropicana) or take one road (Paradise) to get there. A total logistical nightmare. Imagine an NFL Sunday game and 30,000 cars, if not more, are on Tropicana or paradise at roughly the same time?

Comments

JSTAT: Nightmare for those flying out of McCarran on game day

ftpjesus: 30k cars.. Sounds like a typical night on the strip during the weekend..

Load Metric
    That would make the 6th city the Raiders have considered in the last few months. (Oakland, Carson City, Englewood, San Diego, San Antonio, and now Las Vegas).

I doubt Oakland has the money to build them a new stadium, and the $100 Mil the NFL is giving them for losing the LA lottery between Chargers, Rams, and Raiders.

I have trouble seeing Jerry Jones allowing them into San Antonio. Teams just pretend like they have a chance to move their ever since the Alamo Dome was built, and use it as leverage to get a better deal in their home market.

Vegas might be the best option out there for them.

Al Davis made money moving to LA in 1982, then he made money again moving back to Oakland in 1995. Now his son made or may get $100Mil from the recent attempt to move to Carson City. Not sure what strings are tied to actually get the $100Mil.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anchordraw View Post
    That would make the 6th city the Raiders have considered in the last few months. (Oakland, Carson City, Englewood, San Diego, San Antonio, and now Las Vegas).

I doubt Oakland has the money to build them a new stadium, and the $100 Mil the NFL is giving them for losing the LA lottery between Chargers, Rams, and Raiders.

I have trouble seeing Jerry Jones allowing them into San Antonio. Teams just pretend like they have a chance to move their ever since the Alamo Dome was built, and use it as leverage to get a better deal in their home market.

Vegas might be the best option out there for them.

Al Davis made money moving to LA in 1982, then he made money again moving back to Oakland in 1995. Now his son made or may get $100Mil from the recent attempt to move to Carson City. Not sure what strings are tied to actually get the $100Mil.
    I don't get where Oakland is putting all their money,
    I moved there 2 years ago.
    RE is out of control, I just saw an article, the 4th highest rents in the nation,

but you literally have 500k houses you wouldn't feel safe leaving at night. 350k houses you wouldn't feel safe INSIDE during the day.
    You got those Ghetto bars in all the storefronts, W/fresh gun shots holes through the windows.

I live in the Oakland hills, so its pretty safe, but there are potholes on ALL the roads leading up there. I drive them like I'm on an an obstacle course.

That said its is all transplants, mostly Giants and 49ers fans, but a lot just from around the country..so not too much support for the local teams, except the Warriors.
    San Francisco crowned the ‘world’s best’ city to live: survey
    https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...o-live-survey/

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Cliffs:

Dome is a must for the reasons you said. Also that sun is so powerfull it would prbably melt some shit in the stadium if left open

Platinum
    Load Metric

Cliffs:

Domed stadiums are are more attractive for lots of events, and almost every "mega stadium" built these days is going to be a domed/retractable roof.

Also there will be events there all year long, I am guessing that they want to avoid the 110 degree sauna Vegas could become a large part of the year.

This won't just be for football.

Bronze
    Load Metric

Cliffs:

I don't see a MLB team in Vegas now or ever...the last I heard there was talk of moving the 51s up here to Summerlin which would be fine with me since I would never go down to that shithole Cashman Stadium

The Stadium on Campus and using it for UNLV football would be huge for their program. Utah used to be a mediocre at best team until the Winter Oympics came to Salt Lake and they dumped a shit ton of money into the stadium for the opening/closing ceremonies and upgraded a lot of the facilities at that time. They also added all the housing on campus for the athletes and turned them into dorms when Oympics were over. Utah was mainly a commuter school till then and no students went to the game. The stadium they have now is worse than some High School stadiums and isnt close at all to campus for most students to even go

Bronze
    Load Metric

Cliffs:

Even though the population is not huge, it seems like a natural destination for visiting fans in the Stub Hub era. I believe the Chiefs and Broncos fans are both known to travel well and would visit every year. It would likely be one of the lousiest home field advantages in the league. It seems like Packers, Steelers, Seahawks, Patriots and more would take over the stadium for their occasional visits, every 6 or 8 years however the scheduling works.

Dome would really up the chances for more big events like Super Bowl, Final Four, Wrestlemania, year round concerts.

The other thing that comes to mind is would there be legalized live betting while actually at the game? A Super Bowl in Vegas would seem to be a unique, but gargantuan sports betting day every five or 10 years.

Peace,

Hozer11

Load Metric
    As much influence as Adelson has, Roger Goodell will never let it happen.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    Why not?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    I agree. An NBA team in Vegas perhaps, because when the salary cap in the NBA gets adjusted in 2017 every player will make a minimum of $5M a year. Football is different, you have a roster of 55, not 12 and quite of few players make under $1M a year and quickly out of the league. It's very plausible a young player making $700,000 a year could mow through that in a month in Las Vegas and get tempted to fix his play. Most NFL players are illiterate, and I think Goodell would think Las Vegas is too much risk and really no reward.

I say it will never happen. Plus the population is really too small.

Thread Information