Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP to a Druff and my favorite Glenn Frey

Load Metric

RIP to a Druff and my favorite Glenn Frey

Dude was great on Miami Vice as well as making two of the best 80s jams that were on that show. SMUGGLERS BLUES and YOU BELONG TO THE CITY! RIP Glenn!

Glenn Lewis Frey (born November 6, 1948) is an American singer, songwriter, and actor. He made his acting debut as Jimmy Cole, who provides transport for smugglers (and loves his guitar) in the episode "Smuggler's Blues" of the series Miami Vice. He also performed the songs "Smuggler's Blues" (in the episode of the same name and "A Bullet For Crockett"), "New Love" (in "Nobody Lives Forever") and "You Belong To The City" (in "The Prodigal Son").

After his Vice appearance, the show's writers had intended for Frey to return as Jimmy in the second season episode "Trust Fund Pirates" but Frey was unavailable at the time, and another free-thinking pilot (played by Gary Cole) replaced him; Jimmy was mentioned as having retired after his encounter with Crockett and Tubbs. Frey did, however, appear alongside James "Sonny" Crockett again in a 1985 Pepsi commercial, directed by Ridley Scott.

Comments

ftpjesus: Gods band this last month is becoming one hell of a supergroup

BCR:
    Like Neil Diamond once said....LA is fine but it aint home!

Load Metric
    Seriously, why can't this be a hoax? Someone go check on Jack Nicholson, this is turning into an apocalyptic 2016.

Load Metric
    Amazingly Keith Richards is still alive.

Comments

DRK Star: do you have any proof?....

Jayjami: Richards is a freak of nature rep.

Load Metric
    Video won't embed.

http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/1kbd

Banned
    Load Metric

RIP

Comments

BCR: Great version

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Comments

BCR: Like it was yesterday. Shado

Load Metric
    He died of weird causes: Arthritis, Colitis, and Pneumonia. Age 67. My guess is he was probably in a tremendous amount of pain and killed himself. He was too young, 67 to die from these causes. Maybe 87, not 67.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    RIP

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    He died of weird causes: Arthritis, Colitis, and Pneumonia. Age 67. My guess is he was probably in a tremendous amount of pain and killed himself. He was too young, 67 to die from these causes. Maybe 87, not 67.

My dad is 67 and I said the same thing to him when we were talking about it. Always remembered him as kind of a playboy, but had to double check bio to make sure he was married because thats AIDS-type shit to die from. All those things will make you wish you were dead, but not actually kill you often. Probably had enough and checked out.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

My dad is 67 and I said the same thing to him when we were talking about it. Always remembered him as kind of a playboy, but had to double check bio to make sure he was married because thats AIDS-type shit to die from. All those things will make you wish you were dead, but not actually kill you often. Probably had enough and checked out.
    I thought the AIDS thing too. Maybe hepatitis. He certainly was not gay, but possible some needle sharing in his life. I just figured when I read it he just had enough pain and called it a life. Anyway, he was part of a great band and his solo career was ok too. RIP

We all get to the finish line, he got there a little early. Not bad though, 67

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

I thought the AIDS thing too. Maybe hepatitis. He certainly was not gay, but possible some needle sharing in his life. I just figured when I read it he just had enough pain and called it a life. Anyway, he was part of a great band and his solo career was ok too. RIP

We all get to the finish line, he got there a little early. Not bad though, 67

Agreed. The Eagles blew up when he was like 24 too, so that's a top shelf life.

Getting old is strange. I recall thinking of that Don Johnson/ Glenn Frey era as two cool past their prime guys getting a second run to me as a teenager. They were like mid 30s.

Load Metric
    Yes, death is odd. I don't know why but I just saw a commercial for one of those reverse mortgages on TV. It was someone new, not famous. At the end of the commercial I realize they just replaced Fred Thompson, famous actor and Senator who just died weeks ago. I was life WTF, and geez, you start thinking of your own mortality for whatever reason.

Life is for the living for sure. Apple proved that, you never hear any Steve Jobs stuff now that the movies have run their course.

Load Metric
    Ok... This one hurts.

Always been a big Eagles fan. Unfortunately the only time I've ever seen them was with a buddy of mine in Philly. Halfway through the show we left and drove down to AC and played some BJ at the Taj.

The Eagles were not a concert band you want go see with a buddy, they were a date band. Sadly I did not realize this until that night.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Nasty View Post
    Amazingly Keith Richards is still alive.
    His twin brother was no so lucky:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 420
Size:  35.1 KB
    Last edited by Jayjami; 01-19-2016 at 09:07 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    One of the reasons Frey is remembered so fondly by Miami Vice fans is that he was associated with some of the best episodes of the show.

"Smugglers Blues" was a very well-regarded episode, and featured both the Frey song by the same name and Frey himself playing a memorable character. Much of the plot of "Smugglers Blues" was recycled for the (much inferior) Miami Vice movie in 2006.

In 1985, Frey's "You Belong to the City" was heard prominently in the 2-part episode "Prodigal Son", which was the only Miami Vice to take place in New York City. A young Penn Gillette guest starred in that one. Again, this episode is a fan favorite.

Music was a huge part in setting the scene for Miami Vice, a show which was as much about style and setting as it was about characters and plot. The series was originally conceived as "MTV Cops" -- a police drama combined with the feel of music videos.

Frey's music in these episodes wasn't just a familiar tune in the background. The music was always a major part of what you were watching.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: Interesting. Also, Gillette makes razors, Jillette makes magic rep

Load Metric
    Political show host on a local talk station was going on and on about how great the Eagles were with Frey singing and then played Desperado(which Henley sang lead vocals on) as bumper music.

Load Metric
    rip

Load Metric
    So he died of superaids?

Name:  superaidspj4.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  36.7 KB

Silver
    Load Metric
    There's lots of shady characters, lots of dirty deals
    Every name's an alias, in case somebody squeals
    It's the lure of easy money, it's got a very strong appeal

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Glenn Frey's wife Cindy has sued the hospital and the doctor that treated Frey, for wrongful death.

Frey was only 67 when he died 3 1/2 years ago, of ulcerative colitis, pneumonia, and other respiratory issues. While many musicians who die young end up having themselves to blame, due to drug or alcohol abuse, Frey appears to have simply been a victim of bad luck, and came down with various medical conditions which progressed to kill him.

But was it completely bad luck? His wife believes that the doctor was incompetent and took far too long to identify and treat Frey's diseases of the bowel, eventually leading to his death.

She also states that his death wasn't abrupt, but rather the malpractice led to him being incapacitated and mostly disabled during the final months of his life.

There's also an interesting legal battle gong on currently regarding how much of Frey's financial records can remain sealed. His wife is suing for $12 million, claiming that's what he could have earned for the rest of his life had this been treated properly and he recovered. The doctor is demanding financial records to prove this, which his wife doesn't want to provide, citing that the public would be too interested in it and it would become tabloid fodder. The judge ruled that she has to provide these records, or at least the relevant parts, regardless of how famous Glenn was.

I have no idea if the doctor screwed up, but I do know that you have to be really careful and advocate for your own health. Doctors often take a stab in the dark when diagnosing people, and they give each patient very limited time -- even famous ones like Frey. It doesn't help that some doctors are arrogant and refuse to question their own initial conclusion. I have seen many people go down an unfortunate road of improper treatments or dangerous tests, which then lead to more complications, which ultimately lead to death or disability, and it becomes very difficult to prove.

Everyone would be smart to do a sanity check on any conclusions the doctors come to, especially if it's a problem which is potentially serious and won't go away. This is also true when it comes to invasive testing which may not be necessary.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/glen...rongful-death/

https://pagesix.com/2019/04/18/judge...ul-death-suit/

Thread Information