Thread: Bonnie Franklin, the mom on "One Day at a Time" is dead

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Bonnie Franklin, the mom on "One Day at a Time" is dead

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/01/showbi...html?hpt=hp_t3

"One Day at a Time" started in 1975, and was produced by Normal Lear, the same guy behind "All in the Family", "Maude", and later "The Jeffersons" and many others.

Here is the theme song from Season 2. You might notice one of our : emoticons was taken from the song.

The feminist movement was very big in 1975, and this show attempted to capitalize upon that. Prior to the mid-70s, there was somewhat of a stigma against women who left their husbands and "broke up the family". This show attempted to show a woman who did just that (Franklin's character, Ann Romano) in a positive light, and also contained lots of controversial plot points regarding her struggles raising her teen daughters, typical of Lear shows.

The best-remembered character of "One Day at a Time" was not Franklin or either of the teen girls, but rather "Schneider", the perverted, middle-aged building super. Pat Harrington Jr, who played Schneider, is still alive and in his 80s.

Franklin was said to have forced a woman, Mary Louise Wilson, who played Schneider's love interest, off the show. Franklin was afraid Wilson was upstaging her, even though Franklin was 11 years younger.

Carroll O'Connor (Archie Bunker) on "All in the Family" had someone fired in a similar manner. Archie's "best friend" Stretch Cunningham (played by James Cromwell) was killed off because O'Connor was angry that the Cunningham character was becoming too popular.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I have seen this show every now and then on TV Land. The most least interesting person was the lady that just died.

1) Valarie married Eddie Van Halen and she is promoting something now that made her over 100 Million. I cant remember what it was, but she is incredibly wealthy on her own

2) The drug addicted red head sister apparently would routinely fuck her father in real life. I believe he was part of the Beach Boys. Apparently he nailed her on her wedding night as a wedding gift. They apparently fucked each other for years

3) Not sure whatever happened to the maintenance guy

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_PHA View Post
    I have seen this show every now and then on TV Land. The most least interesting person was the lady that just died.

1) Valarie married Eddie Van Halen and she is promoting something now that made her over 100 Million. I cant remember what it was, but she is incredibly wealthy on her own

2) The drug addicted red head sister apparently would routinely fuck her father in real life. I believe he was part of the Beach Boys. Apparently he nailed her on her wedding night as a wedding gift. They apparently fucked each other for years

Pretty sure it was the Grateful Dead.

And the caretaker guy went on to become Klinger in another series from what I've heard.

Load Metric

Mamas and the Papas. Understandable confusion, as her sister was in that Wilson Phillips group with the daughters of Brian Wilson, genius of the Beach Boys. Her sister was the more attractive member iirc.

Druff, given your love of 70's television, where you grew up, and being part of the right tribe, did you ever entertain the notion of a career in entertainment of any sort? Writer? Agent? Film school? Just seems you really loved the shows we grew up on more than the average guy, and you certainly lived in the right place.

As for our generation, Valerie was certainly the only reason to turn in to that show. You are probably correct about Schneider to the main audience, but tight shirts and Valerie are all I recall. I didn't like this particular show, but she kept me watching.

Load Metric
    Valerie was hot. I was just a kid when this show was on but that much I remembered. Wasn't Schneider always trying to get Ann Romano in bed?

Aside from fucking her dad, wasn't Phillips on serious drugs?

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    I wonder if when I'm your age I'll be on an internet forum making threads like "The girl who played the Mom on Boy Meets World is dead" and if kids on that forum will be like "What's Boy Meets World?"
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    SCHNEIDER IS GOD

/THREAD

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    I wonder if when I'm your age I'll be on an internet forum making threads like "The girl who played the Mom on Boy Meets World is dead" and if kids on that forum will be like "What's Boy Meets World?"
    A funnier show would be the bisexual 70s Jack Ritter haircut freak that went to the Bahamas and rolled Pokerstars and was shamed into making a refund. That is a show a lot of people would find funny.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    A funnier show would be the bisexual 70s Jack Ritter haircut freak that went to the Bahamas and rolled Pokerstars and was shamed into making a refund. That is a show a lot of people would find funny.

Name:  lollilmicon2.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  113.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Mamas and the Papas. Understandable confusion, as her sister was in that Wilson Phillips group with the daughters of Brian Wilson, genius of the Beach Boys. Her sister was the more attractive member iirc.

Druff, given your love of 70's television, where you grew up, and being part of the right tribe, did you ever entertain the notion of a career in entertainment of any sort? Writer? Agent? Film school? Just seems you really loved the shows we grew up on more than the average guy, and you certainly lived in the right place.

As for our generation, Valerie was certainly the only reason to turn in to that show. You are probably correct about Schneider to the main audience, but tight shirts and Valerie are all I recall. I didn't like this particular show, but she kept me watching.
    I did think about it in the past, but came to the conclusion that it's too hard to succeed in such a thing, so never seriously considered it.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I did think about it in the past, but came to the conclusion that it's too hard to succeed in such a thing, so never seriously considered it.
    Disagree. Justin Smith, Jasep, Bitcoins, Slot machines, etc... There is PLENTY to make a reality show off this forum. If you are going to "beat" four, you have to get new ideas.

Load Metric
    she was only 69????
    Valerie Bertinelli will be 53 next month, so she was only 16 years older than the person playing her 2nd kid.
    Don't remember noticing anything like that.

I loved that show, and Snider.

Load Metric

Am I crazy, or was there talk of you getting an actual terrestrial radio show in California last year? Did anything ever become of it?

Load Metric
    Pat Harrington was on 'Hot In Cleveland' this year and Bonnie was on last year I think? I used to watch that show back in the 70's but I can only remember wanting to look at Valerie, I was like 7.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Pat Harrington, who played Schneider, is DD at age 86: http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/07/entert...eat/index.html

BTW, one of the show's creators, Whitney Blake, was Meredith Baxter Birney's mother.

Load Metric
    RIP Pat Harrington.

Watched "One Day at a Time". Don't remember the Wilson character. How could anyone think those two could be sisters? Valerie Bertinelli was smoking hot and Mackenzie Phillips could make paint peel.

It was like most of those Norman Lear sitcoms. Not really funny, just mildly amusing with a really aggressive laugh track. Too much social bs. One of the straws that helped send USA off in the fucked up direction it is today.

That's the problem with most sitcoms. Too much situation and not enough comedy.

Load Metric
    I watched that show as a teenager, and while I had a crush on Valerie B, I also thought Bonnie Franklin was a hot ginger MILF long before I ever heard that term.

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    RIP Pat Harrington.

Watched "One Day at a Time". Don't remember the Wilson character. How could anyone think those two could be sisters? Valerie Bertinelli was smoking hot and Mackenzie Phillips could make paint peel.

It was like most of those Norman Lear sitcoms. Not really funny, just mildly amusing with a really aggressive laugh track. Too much social bs. One of the straws that helped send USA off in the fucked up direction it is today.

That's the problem with most sitcoms. Too much situation and not enough comedy.
    All in the Family was hilarious, and that was Norman Lear's most famous work.

Thread Information