Thread: Report: Pokernews was bought by Amaya/Pokerstars around June 2015

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Report: Pokernews was bought by Amaya/Pokerstars around June 2015

Received this information from a source:

- Pokernews is now owned by Amaya, who purchased it around June 2015.

- The purchase was never made public, and they aren't intending to make it public yet.

- The staff at Pokernews did not change as a result of the purchase.

- Amaya has instructed Pokernews to operate as normal, and has not exercised any kind of editorial control over the content on the site.

- Pokernews' successful, long-running affiliate business will remain untouched. Therefore, Pokernews is still promoting other sites competing with Pokerstars.

This has not been confirmed, but the source who provided the information to me seemed pretty sure about it.

Developing...

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Received this information from a source:

- Pokernews is now owned by Amaya, who purchased it around June 2015.

- The purchase was never made public, and they aren't intending to make it public yet.

- The staff at Pokernews did not change as a result of the purchase.

- Amaya has instructed Pokernews to operate as normal, and has not exercised any kind of editorial control over the content on the site.

- Pokernews' successful, long-running affiliate business will remain untouched. Therefore, Pokernews is still promoting other sites competing with Pokerstars.

This has not been confirmed, but the source who provided the information to me seemed pretty sure about it.

Developing...

Amaya is a public traded company. It owes it to their shareholders to report a company purchase??

I would think that they might be breaking some anti- trust rules if this happened. (maybe both companies have to be publicly traded???)

I not an expert on this, but sounds fishy.

Banned
    Load Metric
    That PN is at least partially owned by Stars has been something of an open rumor for several years now.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    so maybe stars owned them prior to the amaya buyout??

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I wonder how many G's Tony got for his cut?

As already mentioned you would think Pokerstars would have to make a purchase like this known to their investors being a publically traded company.

The site mostly covers Pokerstars live events, links to live airings of them,etc... They never linked so much to Stars prior to a few years back so it's possible the site was acquired back then in some form.

Maybe Pokerstars didn't want this known for legal reasons so it was kept off the books until certain issues were taken care of?

If they do own all or a majority of Pokernews then I wonder when they acquired it (prior to Amaya purchase or after) ? That is the biggest question here is the time table of acquisition.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Tony G was at the Aussie Millions so I took the opportunity to ask him about this. He confirmed that he made the deal to sell PokerNews to the Rational Group (now Amaya) with Isai personally in the 2nd half of 2011 for $30m although the handover was done progressively over a period of time.

Comments

anchordraw: Balling at aussie Millions and hangin with Tony G while i'm playing PFA freerolls rep.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2017/...tion-29262.htm

Oh.

And employees are claiming they were told all this time that the rumors were false.

This thread was started almost 2 years ago.

Poker Investigative Journalist
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OzGary View Post
    Tony G was at the Aussie Millions so I took the opportunity to ask him about this. He confirmed that he made the deal to sell PokerNews to the Rational Group (now Amaya) with Isai personally in the 2nd half of 2011 for $30m although the handover was done progressively over a period of time.
    For several reasons, I have come to believe that Gary Benson's timeline is the correct one.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by haleylh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OzGary View Post
    For several reasons, I have come to believe that Gary Benson's timeline is the correct one.
    He tends to be correct when he reports things, so I also believe him.

Thread Information