Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** 1980s Laser Disc Game Appreciation Thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

*** OFFICIAL *** 1980s Laser Disc Game Appreciation Thread

Dragon's Lair

Space Ace

Cliff Hanger

There were many others, including a second Dragon's Lair.

These games were mostly released in 1983 and 1984, and looked amazing for their time (because they looked like actual cartoons, rather than the blocky graphics of the day).

Unfortunately they were very expensive to maintain and broke down easily, so they fell out of favor rather quickly.

Another problem was that they didn't allow true gameplay, as the scenes were already pre-animated, so the player only had control with "moves" which took you from one scene to the next.

Still... these were really cool, and were very popular among people my age at the time.

Despite it being 30+ years later, it's still not trivial to run true versions of these games. Some fail pared-down versions were released over the years on the PC (some as early as 1990), but they weren't the same.

There is an emulator called "Daphne" which runs them, but it's sometimes difficult to get the laserdisc images of these games, even via torrent.

I have been trying for years to get Cliff Hanger without success, but finally located a copy last night. It's not even a matter of being too cheap to buy it, because these simply aren't sold anywere. They did release Dragon's Lair and Space Ace on DVD, but the rest are tough to come by.

Who else played these games?

I was one of the few who preferred Cliff Hanger over all the others. It was based on the anime character Lupin III, and in fact the footage of the game was lifted from some of the Lupin III episodes.

One cool thing about Daphne is that you can change some of the annoying things about the original (no continue feature, being forced to watch the same "death" animations over and over), and basically change it to where you have unlimited lives and cut out the repetitive death scenes.

Load Metric
    I used to walk 2 miles to play Dragon's Lair. Id piss away so much money, learning the patterns for that damn game.

It took me like 5 months, but I finally found out how to beat it, and did. I finally found some magazine or something that showed the final few screens.

was addictive as hell to me

Comments

4Dragons: never seen a 1080p version

Thread Information