Thread: Seeking help with my 2007 MacBook Pro 15in!

Load Metric

Seeking help with my 2007 MacBook Pro 15in!

My 2007-era MacBook Pro 15in is shutting down abruptly after only running for a few minutes after booting. I've already changed the battery, and it actually stayed running for a few days after that, sitting undisturbed. But on the third day, it went back to abruptly powering down, and if I try to immediately boot it up (using the start button), it doesn't even finish starting up before abruptly turning off. But if I let it sit for a few hours afterwards, it starts up, stays running for a few minutes (at most about 3), then does the abrupt shutdown. Not a mormal shutdown. One that looks like the battery is out of juice with no power adaptor connected. But the battery is fully charged, and the power adapter is also new and connected.

Any advise (other than cannibalizing the hard drive to make an external drive)?

Thanks in advance.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Time for part 8 Sonatine.

Load Metric
    I don't own a mac, but they must have log files and event viewers and whatnot, no? Would seem like the best place to start.

Load Metric
    you need to check the log files like crow said.

Applications > Utilities

look for spotlight too

there will be alot of log files

look for system.log

you can also look at Crash reporter

is it getting hot? have you dropped it recently?

there could also be something shorting out too

Load Metric
    Did you do the latest update? If so, your hard drive crashed because your drive is too old to handle it. Need new hard drive.

Comments

MumblesBadly: No, but thx. I'm

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    My 2007-era MacBook Pro 15in is shutting down abruptly after only running for a few minutes after booting. I've already changed the battery, and it actually stayed running for a few days after that, sitting undisturbed. But on the third day, it went back to abruptly powering down, and if I try to immediately boot it up (using the start button), it doesn't even finish starting up before abruptly turning off. But if I let it sit for a few hours afterwards, it starts up, stays running for a few minutes (at most about 3), then does the abrupt shutdown. Not a mormal shutdown. One that looks like the battery is out of juice with no power adaptor connected. But the battery is fully charged, and the power adapter is also new and connected.

Any advise (other than cannibalizing the hard drive to make an external drive)?

Thanks in advance.
    GG Motherboard

Load Metric
    OK FOLKS BUCKLE UP:

this is hardware related and you can either buy one off ebay with a broken screen to swap out mother/daulterboards or you can just invest in a new one
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    But the battery is fully charged, and the power adapter is also new and connected.
    Does the power supply (where you plug the battery to the computer) feel loose and ajar?

I had a similar problem with a netbook and I had to buy a new power input prong and re-soldering the thing to the motherboard/CPU power supply.

Sounds like a hardware issue more than software. Worse case scenario, the HD/MB is fried.
    http://www.miraclecovers.com

"Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
    you need to check the log files like crow said.

Applications > Utilities

look for spotlight too

there will be alot of log files

look for system.log

you can also look at Crash reporter

thx. i'll look for these.

is it getting hot?

yes, but not more than normal. And it was doing weird things for about a week, such as not loading all of the quick-access utilities in the upper right-hand portion of the screen, or hanging with the spiral of death when trying to access Volume among those utilities. But a few reboots would eventually solve this problem until it started abruptly shutting down.

have you dropped it recently?

no, but the lower left part of the screen got cracked about a month before when it got squeezed between the bunk and and backward of my truck can. And the pixels around that crack have failed, with the failed area growing to cover about a two-finger long-and-wide swatch of the lower left of the screen

there could also be something shorting out too
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    Did you do the latest update? If so, your hard drive crashed because your drive is too old to handle it. Need new hard drive.
    I haven't changed the operating system (Snow Leopard) for years. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzmoney View Post
    But the battery is fully charged, and the power adapter is also new and connected.
    Does the power supply (where you plug the battery to the computer) feel loose and ajar?

solid as new.

I had a similar problem with a netbook and I had to buy a new power input prong and re-soldering the thing to the motherboard/CPU power supply.

Sounds like a hardware issue more than software. Worse case scenario, the HD/MB is fried.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    OK FOLKS BUCKLE UP:

this is hardware related and you can either buy one off ebay with a broken screen to swap out mother/daulterboards or you can just invest in a new one
    Thx for all the suggestions.

Load Metric
    I don't think it's been mentioned before, but did you check the log files

Comments

shortbuspoker: not sure if sarcasm or you didn't read all the way to the third post
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83
    I'm going to come across as a bit of a douche but I really know more about this then anyone on this board by miles.

...if Trump is nominee he wins Presidency easily. Angry Blue Collar Whites will have record turnout.

Load Metric
    Put water in the tub

Have a bath. About half way through put the laptop in the tub with you and turn it on.

Then the toaster is next turn it on in the tub and it will kick start your mac.

Comments

MumblesBadly: im not crazy about toast

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    OK FOLKS BUCKLE UP:

Thanks again. I broke out the wallet and invested in a new one. Went for second from TOTL MacBook Pro 15 with dedicated AMD Radeon graphics card. Didn't want to wait for delivery to get 3.1mhz chip. 2.8 is good enough.

And got the bigger SSD drive (1 TB). When I turn it on, the system boots up in seconds!

Banned
    Load Metric
    Say what you will about Apple's exorbitant markup on inferior technology, nothing accessorizes better with a pair of Uggs and some lensless frames while enjoying a fair trade certified organic PSL.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmProfessionalTalk View Post
    Say what you will about Apple's exorbitant markup on inferior technology, nothing accessorizes better with a pair of Uggs and some lensless frames while enjoying a fair trade certified organic PSL.
    As a hobby, I create music (electronics). And all more songs are in Logic Pro or Garage Band.

But I'm also planning to play around with writing iOS apps.

One I've got in mind is "Whack-A-Tyde". It would be a whack-a-mole game with Tyde's pic as the mole. And I might use short sound clips of him calling in to PFA for sound effects.

Comments

Muck Ficon: If you make it, you have to share it with the forum.

Thread Information