View Poll Results: What do you give this regular customer to fix the situation?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • $4.50 credit for next time, but nothing more

3 6.52%
  • $4.50 BACK on his credit card, but nothing more

3 6.52%
  • $4.50 back on CC plus free soup or sandwich next time he comes in

25 54.35%
  • $4.50 back on CC plus extra $10 or so for his trouble

7 15.22%
  • Comp entire order back to credit card

5 10.87%
  • Don't know / Don't care

3 6.52%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: You Make the Call - Deli Manager Edition

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

You Make the Call - Deli Manager Edition

Situation:

Regular customer who spends about $30-40 per week at your deli (a small chain with a few locations) calls with a complaint.

He just made an $80 takeout order and his large side of fries (meant for several people) was forgotten. You are pretty sure he is telling the truth. A look at his bill shows he paid by credit card and was indeed charged for the forgotten fries. He seems irritated that his party has no side order to eat.

The customer has not complained or asked for anything free in the 2 years he's been coming.

What is the right thing to offer?

Load Metric
    Depending on the price of the side of fries I am guessing a $20 credit should be satisfactory.

EDIT: In before poll. Looks like this guy is a terrible business owner.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Oh I got the $4.50 figure because that's what the fries cost.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Give the guy his money back for the fries. Tell him his next Sub or Sandwich is free.
    Of all the money e'er I had, I spent it in good company

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

What is the right thing to offer?

Tomatoes on the side obviously.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    In Brooklyn, you would get another order of fries and that's it.

However, I went to a shitty bar by my neighborhood with like 8 dudes(that is primarily filled with older guys) and waited for 45 min for my burger. I got a free shot of Irish Whiskey for my wait.

Depends if you are on a first name basis and how well you know the guy on a personal level.

Load Metric
    The correct answer would be to ask how the customer would like the situation resolved.

Do you want the fries now? Are you nearby? Do you want a credit?

The correct option is the one the customer is satisfied with. Best way to figure that out is to ask.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Oh, If this is a Israeli business you aint getting shit

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    The correct answer would be to ask how the customer would like the situation resolved.

The correct option is the one the customer is satisfied with. Best way to figure that out is to ask.

Assuming that what the customer wants is a legit expectation. Just knowing Druff and his past, I sincerely feel he put the "refund the entire order" option in there because he thinks that was the appropriate decision. I vehemently disagree. A minor $4.50 mistake does not compute to an $80 credit (or $75.50 technically since the fries arent there anyways). Druff, I presume, will argue that over 2 years the guy has spent approximately $3640 ($35/week for 2 years) and that $80 is a small price to pay to keep this customer. Again, I feel if the store makes a mistake, which they will do, then they should make it right and offer a small concession. 19x the error is too much. I voted for the refund $4.50 and offer a small future item as the appropriate answer.

Also, I LOL'ed at the "meant for several people" comment. Druff puts this in there like it changes anything. It was a $4.50 item, it shouldnt matter to the store if you were going to eat the entire thing or if you had 11 children all eating out of the same dish. A $4.50 item is worth $4.50. Just my $.02
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTemplar View Post
    Give the guy his money back for the fries. Tell him his next Sub or Sandwich is free.

Although it is also a good idea for the customer to always check the order while picking it up, especially for large orders.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

Assuming that what the customer wants is a legit expectation. Just knowing Druff and his past, I sincerely feel he put the "refund the entire order" option in there because he thinks that was the appropriate decision. I vehemently disagree. A minor $4.50 mistake does not compute to an $80 credit (or $75.50 technically since the fries arent there anyways). Druff, I presume, will argue that over 2 years the guy has spent approximately $3640 ($35/week for 2 years) and that $80 is a small price to pay to keep this customer. Again, I feel if the store makes a mistake, which they will do, then they should make it right and offer a small concession. 19x the error is too much. I voted for the refund $4.50 and offer a small future item as the appropriate answer.

Also, I LOL'ed at the "meant for several people" comment. Druff puts this in there like it changes anything. It was a $4.50 item, it shouldnt matter to the store if you were going to eat the entire thing or if you had 11 children all eating out of the same dish. A $4.50 item is worth $4.50. Just my $.02
    Your opinion dont mean shit. youre a scammer.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BUBBLES View Post

I know we touched on this the other day, but seriously this shit is fagging up the forums like no other. Please keep your comments regarding me and your opinions thereof in the proper thread.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Do we really need another jsearless is a fat scamming POS thread?
    I doubt it, but i will not hijack this thread anymore.

Load Metric
    Do we really need another jsearless is a fta scamming POS thread?

I didnt say start a new thread, I said keep it in the appropriate thread. There are two you can choose from at least

Load Metric

Assuming that what the customer wants is a legit expectation.
    No, we are quite specifically assuming nothing here. That's the point. You ask the customer, because not everyone will accept the same solution, not everyone has the same expectations, etc. IF the customer has unrealistic expectations, that still something you would like to know about as soon as possible, because you can start dealing with that immediately.

Load Metric
    I know we touched on this the other day, but seriously this shit is fagging up the forums like no other. Please keep your comments regarding me and your opinions thereof in the proper thread.

all of a sudden jsearless cares about whether or not faggotry is ruining a thread

Load Metric

Assuming that what the customer wants is a legit expectation.
    No, we are quite specifically assuming nothing here. That's the point. You ask the customer, because not everyone will accept the same solution, not everyone has the same expectations, etc. IF the customer has unrealistic expectations, that still something you would like to know about as soon as possible, because you can start dealing with that immediately.

I understand what you mean. You arent saying you absolutely give them all what they want, but you need to know regardless. I never would have thought of it that way, but I can appreciate that take. Maybe you were planning on offering them more then they wanted when it might be a really easy going dude that says to just simply refund the $4.50. You can still go above and beyond if you feel like it.

Load Metric
    There really isn't much info I am working with to make a concrete decision. If as you say have been a frequent and GOOD customer then what I would do is the next time you come into my deli would probably get you a free meal. If you are the type of customer that is more difficult to work with then I would refund the cost of the fries off your next order.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post
    There really isn't much info I am working with to make a concrete decision. If as you say have been a frequent and GOOD customer then what I would do is the next time you come into my deli would probably get you a free meal. If you are the type of customer that is more difficult to work with then I would refund the cost of the fries off your next order.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff
    The customer has not complained or asked for anything free in the 2 years he's been coming.

Load Metric

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff
    Then in that case the meal is on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Thread Information