Thread: Does your Cable Modem Randomly Reset?

Load Metric

Does your Cable Modem Randomly Reset?

So I thought I would save some of you the trouble of dealing with the cable company. I have had Cox come out three times to investigate why my cable modem resets and kicks me off 5+ times a day. Basically the modem just resets which is extremely tilting as you can imagine. They have tested the line and replaced the modem twice. Nothing has ever changed.

It recently has gotten even worse with the model resetting 7 times a day. Each time it resets you have to wait a few minutes for the modem to reboot and get back online.

So I investigated this and found the following device:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

Since then it has not reset once (been a few weeks).

Anyway, apparently this is a common problem that these idiots at the cable company dont know how to fix.
    Last edited by cmoney; 12-15-2015 at 06:19 AM.
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Mine did, for over a year, but it was ATnT. Pure randomness to it, and would reset for 3 minutes, and I would lose all connections and it would screw up any downloads I was in the middle of. Happened 3-5 times a day.

Guy came out to fix it, after I explained the problems. He gave me a new modem, and it still happened, so he did the "I have an idea...give me a few minutes" and then he futzed with some settings and now it has only happened 2x in the last 2 months.

Load Metric
    Can you buy your own modem instead of using theirs? I'd opt for that instead.

Load Metric
    Yup, had this happen back in January. Called up Telus & after explaining the situation & arguing that I had already done everything they suggested & to just send me another fucking modem instead of a technician, all is solved. I actually couldn't listen to radio for about a month because of this.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Thanks for posting this.

I have FIOS, which is a great service (horrible billing department, though) and rarely gives me any technical trouble.

However, the last few places I lived before this did not have FIOS availability, and I was stuck using the cable company (including Cox).

I used to have problems with my modem just losing connection (not resetting, but just sitting there flashing that it could not make a connection to the internet), and like you, it was a nightmare to get it fixed. In fact, I never did. They just kept coming out, not catching it occurring, running a few lol diagnostics, and saying there was nothing they could do. Super tilting. Also wreaked havoc upon my online poker play. Tried switching to DSL and it was even worse.

I did discover in one place that the fail seemed to occur around the 6pm-7pm hour. Not always, but it was most common then by a wide margin. One LOL thing was how I asked to have a technician scheduled to come at that time, and was told they don't work that late. I asked if they could find any after-hours techs, and suddenly they said "Okay" and scheduled me for 7pm. Of course no one ever showed, and when I called back, I was told that indeed they had scheduled it for 7 but that no techs ever work then, and the guy who did it (in India, of course) must have been fucking with me. I got like a $100 credit for that, after raising hell about it.

Anyway, my sister has cable and her internet is intermittent. I will recommend this device to her.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, I now remember one of these (or something similar) was installed in one of the places I iived, and it did help. This was like 7 years ago, so I had forgotten.

Cox provided it for me, but only after multiple FAIL visits.

Something you guys might want to consider if you don't want to spring for the $54.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    These resets used to happened all the fuckin time when I was running deep in a tourney. The timing was incredible, it almost seemed like a conspiracy. Took more than 3 minutes to reboot, more like half an hour.

Edit: Just typing that gave me a PTSD type flashbacks of the Full Tilt trying to reconnect card shuffle. You don't know how many times I anxiously stared at that shuffle.

Comments

ThreeBet: lol
    Last edited by FPS_Russia; 12-15-2015 at 10:40 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Also, I now remember one of these (or something similar) was installed in one of the places I iived, and it did help. This was like 7 years ago, so I had forgotten.

Cox provided it for me, but only after multiple FAIL visits.

Something you guys might want to consider if you don't want to spring for the $54.

There are probably even cheaper ones than the one I got. But yeah, if you can get the cable company to spring for it way better idea than buying it. The cable companies can be dicks though because they have the monopoly , so if they come out and see the specs are within the right range, they most likely will say there is nothing you can do. However, if you call them and act like you know what you are talking about then you may do better. For example, you call and say your modem is disconnecting because of high upstream power levels and you know what is needed to fix it. I would even go as far as to say you worked for a cable company before so you know what the problem is.

In the next week, I am going to call Cox and try to get something for free. I literally have had this problem for over a year . It is also extremely common which means the Cox technicians were either lazy or incompetent which pisses me off more.
    :freelewfather

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    You can usually figure out if the signal is weak first by checking out some of the built in diagnostics in your cable box. If it is weak, complain first and they should fix it since you probably pay a lot for it.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7363

Load Metric
    Can you access the modem? Maybe it has a small diagnostic program built in.

Do you know if it is a power reset? Could be getting too hot. Try keeping a damp towel on it for a day or two and see if the problem still persists. Please don't electrocute yourself. Also, is it around anything that could create an EM field? Also could be buggy firmware, not much you can do here.

After working on electronics for a couple of decades, trust me, random resets can be a bitch to fix.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Had this problem ALL the time.

Bought a surge protector with a line condition that regulates the electrical current. Problem solved. I was amazed

you must be a person of interest for the spooks

also, lol "cox"

Load Metric
    Kinda cool where this has led.

Shitty power supply engineering? No capacitors on P/S output cause they cost 15 cents and are discrete components?

Thread Information