Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Climate change concerns fucking with your stock portfolio? Just pay off a corrupt academic to lie to dipshit Republicans, problem solved!

Load Metric

Climate change concerns fucking with your stock portfolio? Just pay off a corrupt academic to lie to dipshit Republicans, problem solved!

The environmental activism group Greenpeace today disclosed that it led an undercover investigation to expose how easy it is for big oil, gas, or coal companies to pay academics at leading U.S. universities to write research that sheds doubt on climate science, and promotes the commercial interests of the fossil fuel industry.

The scientist involved is speaking at Sen. Ted Cruz's Senate hearing on promoting climate denial this afternoon, on Capitol Hill.

From the Greenpeace announcement:

Posing as representatives of oil and coal companies, reporters from Greenpeace UK asked academics from Princeton and Penn State to write papers promoting the benefits of CO2 and the use of coal in developing countries.

The professors agreed to write the reports and said they did not need to disclose the source of the funding.

Citing industry-funded documents – including testimony to state hearings and newspaper articles – Professor Frank Clemente of Penn State said: “In none of these cases is the sponsor identified. All my work is published as an independent scholar.” Leading climate-sceptic academic, Professor William Happer, agreed to write a report for a Middle Eastern oil company on the benefits of CO2 and to allow the firm to keep the source of the funding secret.

Dr. William Happer is Cyrus Fogg Bracket Professor of Physics at Princeton University.

In emails to reporters, Happer also revealed that Peabody Energy paid thousands of dollars for him to testify at another state hearing. The funds were paid to a climate-skeptic think tank.

Greenpeace claims their investigation also found:

• US coal giant Peabody Energy also paid tens of thousands of dollars to an academic who produced coal-friendly research and provided testimony at state and federal climate hearings, the amount of which was never revealed.
    • The Donors Trust, an organisation that has been described as the “dark money ATM” of the US conservative movement, confirmed in a taped conversation with an undercover reporter that it could anonymously channel money from a fictional Middle Eastern oil and gas company to US climate sceptic organisations.
    • Princeton professor William Happer laid out details of an unofficial peer review process run by the Global Warming Policy Foundation, a UK climate sceptic think tank, and said he could ask to put an oil-funded report through a similar review process, after admitting that it would struggle to be published in an academic journal.
    • A recent report by the GWPF that had been through the same unofficial peer review process, was promoted as “thoroughly peer-reviewed” by influential columnist Matt Ridley - a senior figure in the organisation.
    The report echoes an investigation published earlier this year in the New York Times about Wei-Hock ("Willie") Soon, of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. He accepted donations from fossil fuel companies and anonymous donors in return for producing climate-sceptic scientific papers. He described those studies as “deliverables,” and did not disclose who funded the research.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    hot shit post thread. shut it down

Comments

jacosta24: lol

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    The environmental activism group Greenpeace today disclosed that it led an undercover investigation to expose how easy it is for big oil, gas, or coal companies to pay academics at leading U.S. universities to write research that sheds doubt on climate science, and promotes the commercial interests of the fossil fuel industry.

The scientist involved is speaking at Sen. Ted Cruz's Senate hearing on promoting climate denial this afternoon, on Capitol Hill.

From the Greenpeace announcement:

Posing as representatives of oil and coal companies, reporters from Greenpeace UK asked academics from Princeton and Penn State to write papers promoting the benefits of CO2 and the use of coal in developing countries.

The professors agreed to write the reports and said they did not need to disclose the source of the funding.

Citing industry-funded documents – including testimony to state hearings and newspaper articles – Professor Frank Clemente of Penn State said: “In none of these cases is the sponsor identified. All my work is published as an independent scholar.” Leading climate-sceptic academic, Professor William Happer, agreed to write a report for a Middle Eastern oil company on the benefits of CO2 and to allow the firm to keep the source of the funding secret.

Dr. William Happer is Cyrus Fogg Bracket Professor of Physics at Princeton University.

In emails to reporters, Happer also revealed that Peabody Energy paid thousands of dollars for him to testify at another state hearing. The funds were paid to a climate-skeptic think tank.

Greenpeace claims their investigation also found:

• US coal giant Peabody Energy also paid tens of thousands of dollars to an academic who produced coal-friendly research and provided testimony at state and federal climate hearings, the amount of which was never revealed.
    • The Donors Trust, an organisation that has been described as the “dark money ATM” of the US conservative movement, confirmed in a taped conversation with an undercover reporter that it could anonymously channel money from a fictional Middle Eastern oil and gas company to US climate sceptic organisations.
    • Princeton professor William Happer laid out details of an unofficial peer review process run by the Global Warming Policy Foundation, a UK climate sceptic think tank, and said he could ask to put an oil-funded report through a similar review process, after admitting that it would struggle to be published in an academic journal.
    • A recent report by the GWPF that had been through the same unofficial peer review process, was promoted as “thoroughly peer-reviewed” by influential columnist Matt Ridley - a senior figure in the organisation.
    The report echoes an investigation published earlier this year in the New York Times about Wei-Hock ("Willie") Soon, of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. He accepted donations from fossil fuel companies and anonymous donors in return for producing climate-sceptic scientific papers. He described those studies as “deliverables,” and did not disclose who funded the research.
    Not surprised except for the stupidity of the paid for professors. But well done Greenpeace for pulling back the curtain. The status quo will always put up a fight and winning at all costs is the goal.

Load Metric
    Tee up the former Greenpeace founder and get his take on Global Warming. 43:00 minute mark to be exact.:

Platinum
    Load Metric
    So this would basically say that scientists can be bought off, if you don't think it happens on both sides of the issue well then you're more naive than Derpy from your favorite show.

Load Metric
    The right wing fringe has done too good of a job of brainwashing their sheep, these people will never believe what's in front of their face.

Load Metric
    I already debated a Global Warming thread here on PFA like 2 years ago. I cut Dirty B to pieces, and we do not see him posting here anymore coincidentally.

I am done with this thread. Too much work, too little reward. You fuckers can sit around awaiting tidal waves, droughts and tornadoes, or whatever climatic threat you fantasize to. I am moving on.

Load Metric
    It's difficult to debate you on anything due to you being an idiot.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Global warming is a fact. Whether caused or accelerated by mankind is another question but at this point the consensus is we're involved. What ever the case, getting paid because you have the credentials to be heard is far from the scientific method. I said I'm not surprised at all by this but don't forget how invested big industry is on future bureaucratic decisions that may not favour them.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    As said before this is happening on both sides brah and the fact that most academics are liberal I say this is happening more in favor of global warming

Comments

thesparten: A rational man... I don't always agree with him but fuck. Straight to the point and accurate.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    I already debated a Global Warming thread here on PFA like 2 years ago. I cut Dirty B to pieces, and we do not see him posting here anymore coincidentally.

I am done with this thread. Too much work, too little reward. You fuckers can sit around awaiting tidal waves, droughts and tornadoes, or whatever climatic threat you fantasize to. I am moving on.
    Amen brother..

These people really believe this shit.. they really do..

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    As said before this is happening on both sides brah and the fact that most academics are liberal I say this is happening more in favor of global warming
    What are u doing tonight?!?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Most likely but the science says we're heating up. That's a fact. How much is due to us is still debatable but if a vote we're taken among scientists specializing in this area today, the majority says we're implicated. And how much does one side have invested compared to the other?

But that's not the issue however.

Man caught with his shorts down. Suspect and associates held for questioning.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Tee up the former Greenpeace founder and get his take on Global Warming. 43:00 minute mark to be exact.:

Excellent..

How come the don't force kids to watch this like they did all Gore's nonsense..

Oh I get it. Because u can't tax it..

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by thesparten View Post

Excellent..

How come the don't force kids to watch this like they did all Gore's nonsense..

Oh I get it. Because u can't tax it..
    The bottom line is Global Warming is a BIG business. Al Gore made over $500M off of it. Professors make $250K salaries as experts off of it. The Global Warming industry makes money off the Coal/Oil industry. They line up against each other. It's an industry within an industry.

The Arctic was a tropical paradise 100M years ago. It will be one day again and Florida will be under water. What the fuck is the big deal, people will just move. We'll all be fossils by then so I am not sure why people freak out. Actually, I do, the merchants make money off fear. Been happening since the beginning of time.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BTW, academics by and large chose science with full knowledge the real money lay elsewhere.
    They're among the most disciplined among us and have a strict set of rules they adhere to not unlike a judge and written law. There will always be the exception to the rule but true scientists are not easily paid off IMO.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Oh please....

I could get any doctor on the upper east side to Wright a script for a free bagel..

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Oh please....

I could get any doctor on the upper east side to Wright a script for a free bagel..
    I did say academics and we're talking about pay offs on a global level, excuse the term.

Family physicians are rewarded handsomely no matter how honest they may be. Not so for the student of bacteria or what have you.

Still, not the point of this thread.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I gtd most scientists who are academia or the research lab won't say one fucken word against global alarmists. Not even a micro disagreement.

If they do,,,, there toast..

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I gtd most scientists who are academia or the research lab won't say one fucken word against global alarmists. Not even a micro disagreement.

If they do,,,, there toast..
    Sure they can and do. Because they're in the minority doesn't mean they're wrong.
    The story is.........

Scientist caught with pants down and Exxon admits blowing hard.

Thread Information