Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone collect/sel Baseball/Hockey/Basketball cards?

Load Metric

Does anyone collect/sel Baseball/Hockey/Basketball cards?

I have an old box full of stuff and I wanted to get a good idea as to what maybe 20 of the cards are worth. If I look on Ebay, its a shitshow, and a card will be listed at $5, and then listed at $500 and it looks like the same card. I dont know what all the details are that make it more valuable (certified?...some grades given to them by someone?).

Looking for some info on this. I dont know where to start. I could post some photos if necessary.

Lots of old Bulls cards, Gretzky rookie, full hockey card set (Score 1990 complete sealed box set due to it having Eric Lindross rookie set inside), some Gatorade Michael Jordan set of gold cards, etc, Ricky Henderson rookie, Fernando Valenzuela Rookie (I sadly had shitloads of cards from the early 80's baseball, and they are mostly worthless).

Load Metric
    collecting baseball cards turned to shit

now you have to find some limited edition, only 100 made, gem to make buying a pack of cards worthwhile

almost every pack use to mean something. now kids turbo through a whole box of cards without even taking the time to look at them, check out someone's stats, etc. now it's just video poker for kids

and there are no more dads or uncles with 10k worth of cards in their attic that they had forgotten about

Comments

splitthis: Cuz

Diamond
    Load Metric
    I've recently blown 1000s on cards like a degenerate pos, I can tell u everything you need to know

If u post a picture I can give u a pretty close price I feel

Load Metric
    thats what I was afraid of Willie. It certainly appears that way.

Dish, let me gather some stuff up in the next few days. I will then post some photos.

thanks guys

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Just to get us started, Rickey Henderson rookie in pretty good shape worth $50, in "solid" shape $25..."pack fresh" shape and u got a cpl 100

Load Metric
    ok

I just looked up the 1990 sealed set of Score Hockey cards. I remember buying this because my buddy played juniors against Eric Lindross and he told me to jump on his rookie card..kid will be awesome.

I think I paid like $40-50 at the time. Ebay has them for like $5

jesus....this will be a bloodbath.

Comments

LegalizeMeth: lol hockey

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Yeah the late 80s, 90s cards are absolute dogshit, for example even a gem mint 10 shaq rookie is only worth a few bucks

Load Metric
    how about a 63 pete rose rookie? or a reggie jackson rookiie? tom seaver? steve carlton?

Comments

lewfather: considering pete has probably signed almost every rookie im gonna guess its worth more not signed at this point.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post
    how about a 63 pete rose rookie? or a reggie jackson rookiie? tom seaver? steve carlton?

Decent shape Jackson or Carlton cpl 100 bucks, Seaver maybe 2-3x that, Pete rose rookie is God, 1000s if in good shape

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    PLOL is the man to talk to about this. Be prepared to pay a 39% vig.

Comments

thesidedish: HEY MORON DID U NOT SEE MY POSTS

Hockey Guy: offset for thesidedish not getting the joke.

ToasterOven: geezus dish

SrslySirius: dish can't handle memes this dank

Load Metric
    We used to buy cases of cards when I was a kid and take razor blades to the packs to quickly see if a special insert was in them. We didnt even care about the other cards. It was basically a form of gambling for kids.
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by thesidedish View Post
    Yeah the late 80s, 90s cards are absolute dogshit, for example even a gem mint 10 shaq rookie is only worth a few bucks

Exactly. same thing happened to comic books. There was a publisher called Valiant comics and some were selling for hundreds of dollars. Those same comics could be had for under 5 bucks now on ebay.

Even the "Rare" insert cards that we used to get in the early 90s cant be given away now. Everyone wanted the Frank Thomas insert cards as you could turn around and sell them for big bucks. now you could use them a coasters for your beer and not think twice.
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thesidedish View Post

Exactly. same thing happened to comic books. There was a publisher called Valiant comics and some were selling for hundreds of dollars. Those same comics could be had for under 5 bucks now on ebay.

Even the "Rare" insert cards that we used to get in the early 90s cant be given away now. Everyone wanted the Frank Thomas insert cards as you could turn around and sell them for big bucks. now you could use them a coasters for your beer and not think twice.
    That's a good idea for a bar.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    ok

I just looked up the 1990 sealed set of Score Hockey cards. I remember buying this because my buddy played juniors against Eric Lindross and he told me to jump on his rookie card..kid will be awesome.

I think I paid like $40-50 at the time. Ebay has them for like $5

jesus....this will be a bloodbath.
    Name:  download (4).jpg
Views: 478
Size:  8.8 KB

Comments

DRK Star: drowning my tears in my cereal at the moment

Load Metric
    I had a mint/sealed Reggie Jackson 1976 Baltimore Orioles card that I thought would be worth a $1,000. Circa 2006 there was a card show in Atlantic City and I was in the midst of squandering all my money on poker. Anyway my plan was to sell the card for a grand and go play poker in the AC. When I went to the show I was offered $50 for the card. LOL. I was furious and the collector told me EBAY had basically destroyed the collector market and I could take it or leave it, that he was buying the card only because he was a Reggie fan, not for resale. So I took the $50 and bought two double top shelf Bloody Marys and drove home.

Comments

Henry:

Load Metric
    thats what I was afraid of Willie. It certainly appears that way.

Dish, let me gather some stuff up in the next few days. I will then post some photos.

thanks guys
    It sucks man just trying to add some levity. I remember they where hawking the shit out of Tiger Memorabilia like 15 years ago or so. I don't see those guys on those infomercials anymore. The Tiger Woods stuff was going for obscene amounts of money as well as baseball cards. I was thinking of throwing money at the cards luckily I didn't. Those types of trinkets took a huge fall. Baseball cards with the steroids and economy plummeting took a huge dive.

Banned
    Load Metric
    If I look on Ebay, its a shitshow, and a card will be listed at $5, and then listed at $500 and it looks like the same card.
    Filter for completed listings only. An item is only worth what people actually pay for it. The fact that someone tries to sell something for $500 is meaningless.

Load Metric
    yeah, Im pretty familiar with how that works for posters (Im a new and relatively inexperienced poster collector) but in that realm, I understand all about how the pricing works, and that there are signed, "doodled", Artist Editions, Show Editions, Variants, Open editions, etc.

With Cards, Im flying blind and have no clue why one card is worth $2, but the same card, with some sticker over it, "Authenticating" it by some unknown source, somehow makes it more valuable. Is that needed, who does that, where should I sell any cards I have that might be worth something?

As a Kid, I loved this crap and would even pay like .10/.25/$1.00 for certain cards to complete teams and if they were "error" cards. Just seeing how decimated this industry is, is kind of depressing. I really pissed away a ton of cash back then, because my parents wanted to reward me with something that made me happy. 9 year old kid, lets buy him $2 worth of cards. They could have put that money to better use. Im staring at worthless photos on cardboard at this point, that I have carefully held onto for 35 years.

I just grabbed some stuff that was easy to pull out of a few binders. I will have to shoot a video and you guys can just pause the video and look at the cards and tell me if any of them are even worth trying to dump somewhere.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    yeah, Im pretty familiar with how that works for posters (Im a new and relatively inexperienced poster collector) but in that realm, I understand all about how the pricing works, and that there are signed, "doodled", Artist Editions, Show Editions, Variants, Open editions, etc.

With Cards, Im flying blind and have no clue why one card is worth $2, but the same card, with some sticker over it, "Authenticating" it by some unknown source, somehow makes it more valuable. Is that needed, who does that, where should I sell any cards I have that might be worth something?

As a Kid, I loved this crap and would even pay like .10/.25/$1.00 for certain cards to complete teams and if they were "error" cards. Just seeing how decimated this industry is, is kind of depressing. I really pissed away a ton of cash back then, because my parents wanted to reward me with something that made me happy. 9 year old kid, lets buy him $2 worth of cards. They could have put that money to better use. Im staring at worthless photos on cardboard at this point, that I have carefully held onto for 35 years.

I just grabbed some stuff that was easy to pull out of a few binders. I will have to shoot a video and you guys can just pause the video and look at the cards and tell me if any of them are even worth trying to dump somewhere.

It is very sad, but on the other hand since they didn't end up being worth very much, I was able to make my childhood dreams come true recently on ebay, buying cards for $20 that woulda been cornerstones of my collection many years ago, for example Jerry Rice and Dan marino rookie.

Also, to the shitheads that offset my red rep 10 posts earlier: why would I ever give a fuck about some OSA knockoff inside joke?

Comments

ToasterOven: shut up dish

Rest In Peace, Godfather delaware's Avatar
    Load Metric
    cards are hard to put a price on. my first edition nwp hall of fame card i got for my triple crown idea.if i sign it i want 1200.remember the idea is 48 years old. a china card is woth 150 with the stats on it and signed. a druff and micon were thier shown together is very rare and sells for 5599 with stats and signed. thiers only 1 that exists and druff has it. nwp hall of fame are were the money is. druff alone with stats is worth 2200. a first edition tyde card is woth 4 dollors but a jewdonk first edition is worth 4600.. to be coached by druff in limit holdem requires 50 hours the fee is a flat rate of 25k.delawares rate ls 30k for 75 hours

Comments

thesidedish: GREAT POST

Thread Information