Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where's the rain? California El Nino = FAIL so far

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Where's the rain? California El Nino = FAIL so far

After the weird summer weather in southern CA (record July rainfall in just ONE DAY), I thought that the big El Nino year would mean another 40 inch type rain season for the Los Angeles area, and a 650 inch snowpack year for the Sierra Nevada mountains (most important to fix the drought).

However, so far the rainfall has been underwhelming.

Barely any snowfall in the Sierras (ski resorts are barely able to be open, mostly using man-made snow), and Los Angeles has seen less than an inch of rain in October and November combined. There was a freak storm dropping over 2 inches in mid-September, though.

This differs from other big El Nino years such as 1997-98 and 2004-2005, where lots of precipitation fell on California in October and November.

They keep saying that California will get drenched in December/January/February/March, but I'll believe it when I see it. So far it's been a huge bust.

I will say that the ocean temperature in Los Angeles was 75 this summer, which I had never seen before. But it's not translating into the expected rainfall.

Los Angeles has not had more than 9 inches of rain in a year for the past 4 rain seasons.

Load Metric
    Im being told that the magic should happen in December and Im seeing a lot of sat maps indicating its going to be a doozy.

Which of course probably means youre right and nothing will happen. Because thats how the world works these days.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Im being told that the magic should happen in December and Im seeing a lot of sat maps indicating its going to be a doozy.

Which of course probably means youre right and nothing will happen. Because thats how the world works these days.
    What Tine said. Per government forecasts about wildfire risk in southern Cal:

However, the strong likelihood of above normal precipitation should allow large fire potential to drop back to near normal levels as seasonal rains return in November and December. In addition, the potential for fewer offshore wind events will allow only limited drying between storm systems. Short daylight hours and a low sun angle should also keep fuels from drying appreciably once the expected heavy rains arrive late this month or in December.
    http://gacc.nifc.gov/oscc/predictive...assessment.pdf
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    It appears that Cali's about to get drenched. The potential of a post El Nino drought will be interesting if not catastrophic.

Load Metric
    I do not pay any attention to weather forecasts any more. The super Left Wing has hijacked anything weather to fit their global warming agenda. These are very opportunistic people who look to use their agenda to gain momentary gain. They give speeches about Global Warming while they stay at the best hotels in the world and bang the hottest babes on the planet. I give them credit for their scam, any time you can make a lot of money and bang hot babes by doing nothing you get a lot of credit.

Al Gore had made over $500M off Global Warming, divorced his fat wife and sits on the Board of Apple banging Hollywood starlets. He gets the last laugh.

You just have to LOL at the loser with the Prius which is a shitty car by the way with $1.87 a gallon. LOL.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Because you are ignorant. (P.S. Climate (long-term) does NOT equal weather (short term).

Platinum
    Load Metric
    $1.87 a gallon.
    Thanks Obama.

Comments

Hockey Guy: lol, you should be sucking his black dick. I'm paying $1+/litre.

Load Metric
    aboriginal rain dance needed to start things rolling

[/QUOTE]
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    I do not pay any attention to weather forecasts any more. The super Left Wing has hijacked anything weather to fit their global warming agenda. These are very opportunistic people who look to use their agenda to gain momentary gain. They give speeches about Global Warming while they stay at the best hotels in the world and bang the hottest babes on the planet. I give them credit for their scam, any time you can make a lot of money and bang hot babes by doing nothing you get a lot of credit.

Al Gore had made over $500M off Global Warming, divorced his fat wife and sits on the Board of Apple banging Hollywood starlets. He gets the last laugh.

You just have to LOL at the loser with the Prius which is a shitty car by the way with $1.87 a gallon. LOL.
    Regional weather does not equal global climate. In fact, global warming is forecasted by a number of climate models to cause more extreme winter weather in the U.S.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...he-u-s-um-yes/

Can global warming be real if it’s cold in the U.S.? Um… yes!

By Brad Plumer January 6, 2014

It's quite cold across much of the United States right now, thanks to the dread "polar vortex." Bitterly cold. Horrifically cold!

So what does this tell us about global warming? Not very much. Sorry. A single cold snap in the U.S. doesn't disprove global warming any more than the record heat waves currently hitting Australia prove that it's happening. But since a lot of people — like Donald Trump — seem confused on this point, it's worth recapping a few basics:

1) Global warming refers to the whole planet, not just the United States. The term "global warming" typically refers to the rise in the average temperature of Earth's climate system since the late 19th century, as well as predictions for future warming. A key bit there is "Earth's average temperature." It can be very cold in one part of the world and very hot in another at the exact same time. (Sometimes the exact same weather event can do both: The jet stream is currently making some parts of the U.S. unusually hot and some parts unusually cold.)

What we're interested in is whether the global average is changing over a longer period. That's impossible to judge from a single point in time in a small area — the continental United States is less than 2 percent of the Earth's surface.

2) For example: December 2013 was an unusually warm month even though it was colder in the U.S. So let's take this past December as an example. North America was colder than the average over the past decade. But Europe and Russia were much hotter than average. India was cooler than average. Australia was warmer than average. And so on:

What happens when you add it all up? Early data suggests that December 2013 was tied for the 2nd-hottest December on record since 1979, the beginning of satellite measurements, according to data from the University of Alabama-Huntsville. Meanwhile, global average temperatures for all of 2013 are expected to be among the 10 highest since 1850 (though we still don't have a final count yet).

So you couldn't really infer all that much from a cool month in the United States.

3) The global temperature won't necessarily go up every year. Focus on long-term trends. Sort of a corollary to #1 and #2. This is a good chart to watch:

The global average surface temperature has clearly gone up since the 19th century, by more than half a degree Celsius. But there's also fair bit of variation year to year.

Climate scientists are quite sure that if we keep adding carbon dioxide to the atmosphere, that will trap more heat at the Earth's surface and the global average temperature will continue to rise over time. But carbon dioxide isn't the only force affecting Earth's climate. There are El Niño and La Niña cycles, which can shift heat into and out of the ocean. There are volcanoes. There's air pollution. There are changes in solar activity. And so forth.

Scientists are currently debating which of those other factors might be responsible for the slower pace of surface warming since 1998. And the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) expects that these natural fluctuations will continue to be significant until about mid-century. But in the long run, the IPCC says, global average temperatures should trend upward with an increase in greenhouse gases.

4) Global warming isn't expected to abolish winters in the U.S. anytime soon. Right now, climate experts are worried about a 2°C to 4°C rise in global average temperatures by the end of the century. That would create all sorts of disruptive changes. But those few degrees aren't enough to completely undo the larger swings in temperature we see each year between summer and winter in many parts of the world.

Indeed, many climate models suggest that we'll still see record cold snaps in the United States as the planet heats up. They'll just become much less frequent over time — while record heat waves will become increasingly common. See this paper in Geophysical Research Letters from 2009: Over the past decade, it notes, the U.S. has experienced about two daily record high temperatures for every record low. If the planet keeps heating up, that ratio will shift to 20:1 by mid-century. There will still be record lows in many areas. They'll just be rarer. Like so:

5) Heavy snowstorms will also still be possible as the planet warms. This sounds bizarre, but it makes some intuitive sense. As seen above, global warming isn't going to eradicate winter temperatures in the United States anytime soon. But a warmer planet will allow the air to hold more moisture on average. So, in theory, you could have the ingredients for more intense winter storms.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Druff, according to today's LA Times, El Nino has brought early season snow to the Sierra Nevada's...

http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...124-story.html

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Coming to the end of December. No rain forecasted through the end of the year.

1.03 inches of rain since October 1st in Los Angeles.

4.53 inches of rain from October 1st - December 31st in an average year.

Sierra Nevada mountain range with about an average amount of snow so far.

FAIL Nino indeed

Load Metric
    Hold your horses. Most El Niños begin dumping rain in January. Look at 1983:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 672
Size:  471.4 KB

Load Metric
    Slow and steady Druff. No need to have it all at once. Snowpack is healthy and one El Nino ain't fixing the drought. I would agree that the outlandish predictions of a monster El Nino are fail so far, but we don't need another La Conchita.

Load Metric
    After the weird summer weather in southern CA (record July rainfall in just ONE DAY), I thought that the big El Nino year would mean another 40 inch type rain season for the Los Angeles area, and a 650 inch snowpack year for the Sierra Nevada mountains (most important to fix the drought).

However, so far the rainfall has been underwhelming.

Barely any snowfall in the Sierras (ski resorts are barely able to be open, mostly using man-made snow), and Los Angeles has seen less than an inch of rain in October and November combined. There was a freak storm dropping over 2 inches in mid-September, though.

This differs from other big El Nino years such as 1997-98 and 2004-2005, where lots of precipitation fell on California in October and November.

They keep saying that California will get drenched in December/January/February/March, but I'll believe it when I see it. So far it's been a huge bust.

I will say that the ocean temperature in Los Angeles was 75 this summer, which I had never seen before. But it's not translating into the expected rainfall.

Los Angeles has not had more than 9 inches of rain in a year for the past 4 rain seasons.
    In BC we have had record snow fall on north shore mountains even more than whistler, 168 cm in days.
    http://cypressmountain.com
    we needed it as last few years we had a bit of a drought for snow especially last year when the local mountains mostly didn't open at all. bring it on!

being as our dollar is at a 10 year low, perhaps you should think about a trip up north.... you can ski deep powder rite? let me know if you do.

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com

WINTER LIVES HERE
    Over 4.6m (15ft) of snowfall so far this season
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    We may have 2 inches of rain this morning. Coming down like crazy. one problem, no water inside. Went out to the water meter to see if i had a busted line. No problem there. Rode around, found a water crew working on the water mains. Something busted last night. 60 degrees last night. Maybe a small earthquake? City replaced the pipes about 10 years ago. How the hell did it bust? Got it fixed in a few hours. Man did I get drenched. I hate rain.

Enjoy the drought while it lasts.

Load Metric
    http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/sweq.action

above is the California state website for reporting snow pack levels...@12/26 the snow pack levels for most regions are above normal

(for folks not in the loop re: California water supply, the snowpack of the Sierra Nevada's is the primary source of water for California for the following year)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/sweq.action

above is the California state website for reporting snow pack levels...@12/26 the snow pack levels for most regions are above normal

(for folks not in the loop re: California water supply, the snowpack of the Sierra Nevada's is the primary source of water for California for the following year)
    Statewide is 110% according to your link, which is only slightly above average.

So southern CA is sitting well below average, and overall the state is having a slightly above average precipitation season.

Hardly the deluge that was predicted.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

This is bogus information and while not revealing sources Sonatine is not a "country first" person
    if you catch my drift.

Look for statewide devistation beginning January 13, 2016.

Ozzie Ozbourne's b-day coincidentally

Load Metric
    Are you assholes really arguing over the weather? Jesus I try with you guys. God help me, I try.

Comments

GrenadaRoger: yes, sometimes you are trying...<sigh>

Load Metric
    lol at a weather thread being acalupos breaking point on this trash site go eat some porchetta and pray to your steph curry poster you spanish idiot

Load Metric

Thread Information