Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Burr is God (F is for Family) on netflix

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    Most everyone has banned me from seeing movies with them because of that level of poo flinging. I'm way better than I used to be.

This is how I felt when the Wilhelm Scream was pointed out to me. Now I notice it every time. Thanks a lot, asshole.

Comments

Greg Raymers Shorts: Burn for eternity faggot.

4Dragons: nice find

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    Most everyone has banned me from seeing movies with them because of that level of poo flinging. I'm way better than I used to be.

This is how I felt when the Wilhelm Scream was pointed out to me. Now I notice it every time. Thanks a lot, asshole.
    Eh, you see.. mine is the 'howie' scream. I thought it originated in "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" but apparently it was "Broken Arrow". I cringe every time I hear it.

Just in case once isn't enough..

or maybe not..

The Howie scream (also known as the Howie Long scream or Screams 3; Man, Gut-wrenching Scream And Fall Into Distance) is a frequently used film and television stock sound effect for a scream. Often compared to the Wilhelm scream, its prominence in a number of movies has given it a few nicknames such as Howie Long Scream, in reference to Howie Long's death scene in the movie Broken Arrow.[1] It appears to have originated from a fight scene in the 1980 film The Ninth Configuration.[2]
    http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Howie_scream
    Last edited by 4Dragons; 02-12-2016 at 12:09 AM.

Banned
    Load Metric
    http://www.slashfilm.com/lol-the-reo...rop-newspaper/

The visual version of the wilhelm scream

Comments

Greg Raymers Shorts: trying desperately to be cool is so fucking gay.

4Dragons: god recognizes god offset

Banned
    Load Metric
    Lew Father turn in your Bill Burr card you fucking faggot. You are not a fan. You must be an only child if you can't relate. I'm all for being open minded and fair but if you really claim to be a fan and also claim to not enjoy his show you need to just suicide bomb yourself.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Jsearles, is everything alright at home? I am crushed that you deducted all my internet points ITT.

Comments

4Dragons: cheer up chimp

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    That isn't jsearles, but I am going to ban him because I haven't liked what I've seen here over the past few days, especially the past 24 hours.

Anyway, I saw all 6 episodes of this. Like the rest of you, I was expecting better, but overall I think I enjoyed it more than the consensus here.

The biggest problem with the show is that it mostly lacks humor. Bill Burr said that it was somewhat influenced by "All in the Family", one of my favorite shows of all time.

All in the Family did a great job combining serious issues and family discord with clever humor. Bill Burr combined the issues (albeit ones from 43 years ago) and the family discord, but forgot the humor. That especially disappointed most of his fans, as they liked him for his humor.

As I've said on past radio shows, I'm actually attracted somewhat to dysfunction, which is part of the reason I've been part of this community for so long. So when I see a show with a lot of arguing, fighting, and disrespectful behavior, I can appreciate it, while others can find it a bit much.

Still, I feel F is for Family overdid it. Each episode featured so much anger, stress, and despair that I rarely felt like watching two back-to-back. Even a positive review I read for the show mentioned that it was "too intense" to binge watch. That's never a good sign.

On the positive side, the theme song imagery was great (definitely the best part of the show), the early '70s theme was mostly well done, and there were some storylines (especially in the later episodes) which I liked.

When it's all said and done, I will watch Season 2.

However, it's not like a show such as Rick and Morty, where I'm really looking forward to the next season.

I hope that Burr can slip in a little more humor in the next season, and doesn't just count on the "characters watching silly commercials or TV shows" bit to deliver a few chuckles.

Load Metric
    This show 100% delivered and you're 100% faggot if you don't agree.
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Like the rest of you, I was expecting better, but overall I think I enjoyed it more than the consensus here.

The biggest problem with the show is that it mostly lacks humor.

Pretty much this.

I think I liked it for the same reason I liked the new star wars: heavy on nostalgia.

Like almost everyone else, I didn't love it, it's not nearly as funny as Burrs comedy.

I will watch season 2, but I'm not excited about it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BBBBBBBBBBBBUMP

Season 2 has appeared on Netflix.

It's been there since May 30, but I guess nobody noticed because the first season wasn't very well received.

This season has 10 episodes, so you'll have more to watch this time around.

It will be interesting to see if it has improved at all. As I said in my review last year, I mildly enjoyed the show, but found it too intense/depressing, and mostly lacking humor.

I'll post a review later after I watch some episodes.

Load Metric
    BBBBBBBBBBBBUMP

It's been there since May 30, but I guess nobody noticed because the first season wasn't very well received.

It will be interesting to see if it has improved at all. As I said in my review last year, I mildly enjoyed the show, but found it too intense/depressing, and mostly lacking humor.

This season was way better than the first one imo. Interested to hear your thoughts

Banned
    Load Metric
    BBBBBBBBBBBBUMP

Burr is G-D

Almost finished the 2nd season but just to touch on the intensity / depressing aspect of the show, Bill himself stated on many promotional tour appearances that he wanted that in the writers room. He wanted humor but he also wanted a realistic portrayal of his upbringing and how you feared your father unlike nowadays where males are mostly portrayed to be weak and complete mongs.

Also if you want to watch something way more intense and depressing you should try Louis or Horace and Pete. Those shows are on some next level shit but still manage to have moments of dark comedy and general lulz.

plus your boy Alan Alda is dropping n bombs. so that should play to pfa crowd pretty well too.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here's what's odd, though.

Frank Murphy, the father, seems to be the main character of the show, rather than the kid "Bill" who was clearly supposed to represent Burr in his early '70s childhood years.

While Frank has a temper and occasionally makes threats such as, "I'll put you through that fucking wall", he isn't seen as the scary, dominant head of the household, as was common among fathers in that time period.

Instead, Frank is seen as pathetic, temperamental, and kind of a lovable loser.

The oldest son, Kevin, constantly shows disrespect to Frank, despite being 14.

That seems to contradict what Burr claimed he was trying to portray -- growing up around a father who you absolutely didn't fuck with, if you didn't want a smack across your face.

I think the depressing part about the show is how nothing seems to go right. These characters rarely seem to have a happy moment in life. When they do, it tends to get ruined fairly quickly.

Anyway, I finished episode 1 of Season 2. I still didn't think it had much humor, but I'm interested enough to look forward to seeing the next episode. It's still kinda intense and depressing, though.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Just watched episode 2 of season 2. Probably the best one I've seen so far in the series.

Comments

lewfather: UHH BURR THE G-OAT BRO, JUST WAIT TIL KEVIN STARTS HOLLERING LOL

Banned
    Load Metric

Frank Murphy, the father, seems to be the main character of the show, rather than the kid "Bill" who was clearly supposed to represent Burr in his early '70s childhood years.

While Frank has a temper and occasionally makes threats such as, "I'll put you through that fucking wall", he isn't seen as the scary, dominant head of the household, as was common among fathers in that time period.

That seems to contradict what Burr claimed he was trying to portray -- growing up around a father who you absolutely didn't fuck with, if you didn't want a smack across your face.

I think the depressing part about the show is how nothing seems to go right. These characters rarely seem to have a happy moment in life. When they do, it tends to get ruined fairly quickly.

Anyway, I finished episode 1 of Season 2. I still didn't think it had much humor, but I'm interested enough to look forward to seeing the next episode. It's still kinda intense and depressing, though.
    According to Burr he is not exactly the character known as Bill on the show, he said that it was a collective representation from his childhood, the writers childhood and other family members childhoods as well. Frank is by far the lead, even though he admitted that not everything is based off his own father but collectively speaking all the writers fathers and his. It's basically just a giant mesh of stories and they start the seasons off with an arc that they drop some jokes in to. Again these are his words, not my opinion on the matter. I'm an admitted Burr fanboy as a lot of people on this board know (kunt, crowe, sanlmar, beerandpoker etc)

BTW T-dd, Bills brother Robert ran for MASS. State Senate , I do believe he is a Republican.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Halfway through season 2.

Liking this season a lot better. Had a feeling I would, after cmoney said he enjoyed the second season.

Load Metric
    Halfway through season 2.

Liking this season a lot better. Had a feeling I would, after cmoney said he enjoyed the second season.
    Agreed, this season is better.

I like the show, it reminds me of what the world looked like when I was a kid.

Bill Burr is god.

Now am looking forward to stranger things season 2.... Another show where seemingly every tangible and visceral facet was taken from my childhood memories.

Load Metric
    Hella-overrated cartoon, mostly because of how much everyone loves Burr, and nostalgia for the past rather than creativity.
    Cartoons like Rick n Morty & Bob's Burgers both blow this show out of the water. Lots of other cartoons do, too.

Good show, far from great.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post

Lewfather showed me the light a few years ago. Burr is my favorite comic and there ain't a close second. Having said that, I haven't watched one second of his cartoon. Burr is a standup genius - period. He may whip up a decent quiche but I will not dilute my love with his other pursuits.

Neverforget and all that shite.

There was a roast of David Ortiz the other day. It was scheduled to be aired on the Red Sox station NESN. Bill Burr was there of course. Apparently it was so fantastic and got raw so fast that the show was unable to be broadcast.

Dustin Pedroia's story killed. Can't find any Burr out there.

By the way Druff. Thanks for your help with your vBulletin video issue. This is the last time I manually code video links. This was worth it.

Load Metric

How is this different from other notable comedic TV shows, like Seinfeld? Usually, the characters experienced true troubles or their jaded outlook made the joy of any victories short-lived or underappreciated. And recall that the ending of Seinfeld had them sentenced to jail. Oh, happy times?
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post

Lewfather showed me the light a few years ago. Burr is my favorite comic and there ain't a close second. Having said that, I haven't watched one second of his cartoon. Burr is a standup genius - period. He may whip up a decent quiche but I will not dilute my love with his other pursuits.

Neverforget and all that shite.

There was a roast of David Ortiz the other day. It was scheduled to be aired on the Red Sox station NESN. Bill Burr was there of course. Apparently it was so fantastic and got raw so fast that the show was unable to be broadcast.

Dustin Pedroia's story killed. Can't find any Burr out there.

By the way Druff. Thanks for your help with your vBulletin video issue. This is the last time I manually code video links. This was worth it.
    Burr talked about it on his podcast and said that big papi got up and said fuck you to him to which bill responded no buddy fuck you! You wanted this god damn roast lol

They hugged it out after

Thread Information