Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2016 PokerStars VIP Club changes rile up high stakes pros

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    My take on the stock crash of Amaya: http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...rong-US-dollar

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    David Tuckman interviewed Daniel Negreanu for his Under The Gun podcast:

http://www.twitch.tv/tuckonsports/v/26508058

At the 1:28:15 mark Daniel talks about the Pokerstars changes and gives his opinion. Daniel discusses that he is trying to do changes behind the scenes but also talks about why these changes need to be made, which I think were very well said.

Before this Daniel was on for 10 to 15 minutes discussing the tanking at the final table and ways to potentially change it to make poker more watchable.

Load Metric
    I will check this out. BNP, you should start your own podcast thread. Recommendations are always good.

I am sure it was you who recommended JoeIngram1 & Haralabos Voulgaris. I will post this here cause I can't find your post to bump.

I am always reluctant to listen to Chicago Joey. The first few minutes of any of his podcasts I spend visualizing myself punching the kid in the side of the head to wipe that dopey look off his face. I am not usually a violent guy but he tilts me huge.

But the kid binks guests and the shows are always great. Why? I spend more time divining this question than listening to the show.

The answer: He's like a golden retriever (apologies to golden retrievers). He is open (nothing but first level thinking), enthusiastic, happy & dumb as shit (intellectually non threatening to the guest).

A guest knows he isn't gonna be challenged to think or hastled with any tricky lines.

Voulgaris was fantastic. Lots of stories.

Viffer. Multiple Dan Cates stories - seems to regard Cates as his dumb little brother. JRB @ the Aria. Folding KK to Greenstein. Many more.

Recurring theme was, "how sad it is to see the old guard still playing poker".

Of course, sports betting.

Voulgaris is whip smart, a little smug, self satisfied and cocky. I was getting aroused and felt like I needed a cigarette at the end of the show.

Comments

The Shrink: Papi! I find joey annoying too but tolerable. Bob is the best.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Terrence Chan's take on the situation: http://www.terrencechanpoker.com/201...poker-pro.html

Terrence believes that this is the beginning of the end for the online poker pro, aside from the elite few.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    A lot of folks will leave such as the rakeback pros but people will always win in poker so you will see a new breed taking over for the departed ones imo.

When you consider the online pro their are lots of ways to look at them.

For the people who can win say $50k+ a year without much rakeback and no ability to go into another field of work they will get pissed but in the end what else are they going to do? Some will have to just suck it up and play for less benefits just like a lot of USA pros had to do when Pokerstars/FTP left the market on Black Friday.

Load Metric
    Listened to JoeIngram1 & Lex Veldhuis. One impression I took away was Lex's claim that he could not win at $2/5 rush PLO. He didn't approach this casually and stated that he studied quite a bit. At some point both Joe & Lex somewhat agreed that the play at these stakes were as tough as $25/50 a while ago. Wow. Who has a shot?

This jived with Voulgaris' claim that he couldn't win today at poker and wouldn't bother.

I don't really follow poker anymore and the nostalgia in this forum doesn't expose me to what is going on today. Both Voulgaris, Veldhuis & Ingram quickly run through online players names that are acknowledged to be great today. I have never heard of these guys.

Honestly, I kind of tune out Joe Ingram and didn't listen carefully to his GTO muscle shirt hustle. Loved the old Pontiac Judges. GTO kept popping up and while I certainly understand the notion of game theory & the whole beautiful mind thing I did not realize this was a strategy that is "on the streets" daily.

Anyway, I will add a little PStars to make the post relevant.

Did you see the latest Spin and Go millionaire story? 40 minute game where first was a $1M, second & third was $100k.

Loved this quote
    Haley Hintze: If a poker player is going to lose, he ought to be able to lose in the manner which he finds most enjoyable.”

Seems the level of play is at such a state that Hintze's quote can withstand any raise. Spin and go's become defensible and your sympathy for pros diminishes.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 11-23-2015 at 11:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Terrence Chan's take on the situation: http://www.terrencechanpoker.com/201...poker-pro.html

Terrence believes that this is the beginning of the end for the online poker pro, aside from the elite few.
    There is a planned boycott of Stars on Dec 1-3; doubt it will move any needles:

2p2 thread: https://t.co/RIt7I4ahlZ

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizzmoney View Post

There is a planned boycott of Stars on Dec 1-3; doubt it will move any needles:

2p2 thread: https://t.co/RIt7I4ahlZ

Notice they don't want to miss the Sunday tourney grind. These guys need to get over themselves.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Not only are these entitled cunts not giving up their Sunday tourney grind...90 percent of them will more than likely be in Prague playing the EPT owned by which company again? Too much time on these dolts hands. Other than the changes to SNE elite for next year not getting the benefits these guys played for this year they need to STFU and try to win at poker and stop banking on rake back

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I haven't watched this yet but Negreanu was on ChicagoJoey podcast earlier today discussing the Pokerstars changes:

Load Metric
    Made it to about 18 min. It's pretty bad.

Talking about rake, the "old days", the poker economy. Not one mention of the fact that PokerStars lives in a (lightly) regulated world and taxes are a real thing.

Many countries calculate the company's taxes based on raked action. They take a piece where they didn't before. Joey trying to construct an argument for rake reduction. Click.

The subject of taxes and playing on a regulated site in the US is always ignored. If a pro is break even and playing for rakeback, imagine his plight when PStars reports his earnings to California's Revenue Service, for instance.

As hard as it is to believe, these are the good old days for online.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Made it to about 18 min. It's pretty bad.

Talking about rake, the "old days", the poker economy. Not one mention of the fact that PokerStars lives in a (lightly) regulated world and taxes are a real thing.

Many countries calculate the company's taxes based on raked action. They take a piece where they didn't before. Joey trying to construct an argument for rake reduction. Click.

The subject of taxes and playing on a regulated site in the US is always ignored. If a pro is break even and playing for rakeback, imagine his plight when PStars reports his earnings to California's Revenue Service, for instance.

As hard as it is to believe, these are the good old days for online.
    I'm skimming through it right now and I agree it starts off very slow but I will say it gets much better when Dani Stern comes on around half way through it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Melissa Burr is GOING OFF on Twitter about this.

As a disclaimer, I want to say that I played with Melissa during the 2014 WSOP Main Event, and found her to be very nice. She also took part in calling out that "Poker Approved" scam which I covered on here. So I am pro-Melissa Burr, but I think she is demanding a bit too much. She does raise some good points though, primarily regarding Pokerstars going back on their promises to current Supernova Elite members.

https://twitter.com/burrrrrberry

She also smacked down Daniel when he accused her of not watching his video "addressing the issues":

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Whether someone likes Negreanu or doesn't I believe he is trying his best here for the players. Daniel don't have to do any podcasts, spend time on twitter replying to all of these people,etc...

I do believe he was told by the company that they have an alternative vision to put back certain money into the poker economy that would normally go towards other benefits but even he might not know the full details.

Pokerstars might not have decided the specifics on this either but just has ideas that they aren't releasing and it's not doing them any favors because the longer they keep it quiet the longer it takes to do damage control.

Some of these ideas could be great ones for the health of the games even though your rakeback pro is most likely not going to be happy with anything you take away from them.

The times have changed since Pokerstars was more of a private company back in the day compared to now with Amaya owning it. They have to find a proper balance to look out for their investors while keeping their players happy and it's a difficult thing to do. I think they are doing it wrong in so many ways and even Negreanu says there communication isn't very good with the players but legally they can do what they want so it's a waste of time for some of these people talking about class action lawsuits,etc...

Diamond
    Load Metric
    these geeks complaining about their rakeback are giant losers who contribute nothing to society. If you cant beat the rake, u were never good enough in the first place to choose this as a profession, do something else with ur life.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Whether someone likes Negreanu or doesn't I believe he is trying his best here for the players. Daniel don't have to do any podcasts, spend time on twitter replying to all of these people,etc...

I do believe he was told by the company that they have an alternative vision to put back certain money into the poker economy that would normally go towards other benefits but even he might not know the full details.

Pokerstars might not have decided the specifics on this either but just has ideas that they aren't releasing and it's not doing them any favors because the longer they keep it quiet the longer it takes to do damage control.

Some of these ideas could be great ones for the health of the games even though your rakeback pro is most likely not going to be happy with anything you take away from them.

The times have changed since Pokerstars was more of a private company back in the day compared to now with Amaya owning it. They have to find a proper balance to look out for their investors while keeping their players happy and it's a difficult thing to do. I think they are doing it wrong in so many ways and even Negreanu says there communication isn't very good with the players but legally they can do what they want so it's a waste of time for some of these people talking about class action lawsuits,etc...
    Hysterical that PokerStars traffic is actually up overall during the strike, even if at the higher levels it might be down slightly. I hope PokerStars shuts down Dani Sterns and some of these other whiners accounts and says GG thanks for playing but you can take your business elsewhere.

I have no idea why these so called pros think that PokerStars owes them a god damn thing when it comes to rake back. That money is stars money and they can choose what to do with it how ever the fuck they please. If I ate Burger King every day for a month then went to them at the end and said I would like a portion of the money I spent here back they would tell me to GTFO. I do think that stars SHOULD honor the SNE stuff for next year but if they don't meh. To claim that Stars is STEALING its OWN money by taking away rake back at the higher levels is laughable. If you don't fucking like it go play somewhere else, PokerStars isn't going to crumble if even the top 5000 players leave, more will sign up and games will continue and they will continue to pull in rake the same as they always have.

Players found a way to grind these obscene number of tables to game the system of rake back and are pissed that they lose that now, plain and simple. The system was NEVER meant to be used in the manner it was. The goal of playing poker is to win money AT the tables not by the number of hands you play to get money back.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 656
Size:  96.1 KB

Also until PokerStars (or any site for that matter) fixes THIS problem then the new players will continue to lose at an alarming rate. The average player has ZERO concept that this stuff is going on when they decided to deposit their money on a site

Comments

thesidedish: omg who are these disgusting losers

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    lvprk1009 is 100% correct.

These grinders have no clue about real life. As you can see from the picture he posted, most only know this in life, and don't understand how business or the real world works.

We all agree that Stars should keep their obligations regarding earlier promises/promotions about Supernova Elite. So grandfather all of that shit through January 1, 2017, and then go ahead and implement all of the planned changes. That is fair and totally reasonable.

These kids are used to undeserved special treatment and various other unfair advantages, and it's time they understand those days are over.

sidedish also has a good point. LOL @ rakeback pros. Look, I don't begrudge anyone for getting maximum rakeback, but you can't whine when that rakeback is reduced and you can no longer make a living from poker. If you can't beat the games themselves, it's time to GTFO of poker as a profession.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    lvprk1009 is 100% correct.

These grinders have no clue about real life. As you can see from the picture he posted, most only know this in life, and don't understand how business or the real world works.

We all agree that Stars should keep their obligations regarding earlier promises/promotions about Supernova Elite. So grandfather all of that shit through January 1, 2017, and then go ahead and implement all of the planned changes. That is fair and totally reasonable.

These kids are used to undeserved special treatment and various other unfair advantages, and it's time they understand those days are over.

sidedish also has a good point. LOL @ rakeback pros. Look, I don't begrudge anyone for getting maximum rakeback, but you can't whine when that rakeback is reduced and you can no longer make a living from poker. If you can't beat the games themselves, it's time to GTFO of poker as a profession.
    I really take exception to people who say this and the whole "lol rakeback pros" You do understand that these people are beating the games it's just the rake is so absorbent to their winrate. I understand games can't be rake free, but say for instance that the rake was half of the current rate and there was no form of any rakeback. These current system break even or slight losing players would be crushing and making $100-300k a year. Think about how differently these players would be viewed and envied by ppl who say "lol rakeback pros" by there being a change that they wouldn't even notice. Personally I think this is a lose lose for everyone as it is currently set up to change, but people are clueless who don't understand that these players are beating the games. Also partially the reason they are losing is because the previous system allowed to sign up for -ev games pre benefits. So bascially anyone who says "lol rakeback pros" is with a few exceptions just clueless.

Comments

thesidedish: yes we fully understand, story stays the same, ur not good enough if u cant beat the rake

Load Metric
    In case you were wondering where your cut VIP money is going

Thread Information