Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Druff, please ban jsearles...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hutmaster View Post
    The funniest part of this thread is that not only did Jsearless lose the bet, but his attempt to weasel out of it based on grammar is also incorrect! The exact wording as proposed by Vegas was:

As worded 'those' is a demonstrative adjective. Essentially it makes 'two words' become one as it refers to them collectively. If the wording were to mean each word individually....the correct phrasing would have been:

Pay up Searless!
    I disagree with your assessment. Searles means those two words have to be misused in the same post( thanks Duddley )
    You've made a stronger case for Searles with the reasoning he's already using
    The use of the word "Those" (which is a demonstrative adjective) doesn't change whether the sentence means "Then AND Than" or "Then OR Than" it simply shows which noun you are referencing. Those is a plural demonstrative adjective, which means it is used when the noun in question (in this case "words") is plural. The singular form is this or that, and would be used if talking about a single word, which isn't the case here. Vegas wanted to be able to use mistakes with the word Then OR Than which is why he used "2 words", Searles contest the sentence means Than AND Then. The word "Those" simply explains which noun in the sentence we are talking about (in this case the words This and Then) because without it we don't really know what the two words in question are.

***I'd actually argue that the proper word here is "these" as it also relates to proximity of the noun your are talking about (you say: these cookies here, not those cookies here).***
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    I disagree with your assessment. Searles means those two words have to be misused in the same post( thanks Duddley )
    You've made a stronger case for Searles with the reasoning he's already using
    The use of the word "Those" (which is a demonstrative adjective) doesn't change whether the sentence means "Then AND Than" or "Then OR Than" it simply shows which noun you are referencing. Those is a plural demonstrative adjective, which means it is used when the noun in question (in this case "words") is plural. The singular form is this or that, and would be used if talking about a single word, which isn't the case here. Vegas wanted to be able to use mistakes with the word Then OR Than which is why he used "2 words", Searles contest the sentence means Than AND Then. The word "Those" simply explains which noun in the sentence we are talking about (in this case the words This and Then) because without it we don't really know what the two words in question are.

***I'd actually argue that the proper word here is "these" as it also relates to proximity of the noun your are talking about (you say: these cookies here, not those cookies here).***
    Name:  de293ef4.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  24.5 KB
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    stop cyber bullying jsearless imo... willie stole from me and noone gives a shit... this thread is becoming black dick worthy...

at least hes not limitles...

Me defeating Druff 100 BB heads up - http://youtu.be/LmxTH0rZaLk?t=2h12m35s

Silver
    Load Metric
    I decided to consult some experts to end this debate once and for all. I contacted two sources. The first was a "Grammar Hotline" that is run by the University of Maryland English Department. Their phone number is (301) 405-3785. I explained the bet and provided them the exact wording as proposed by Vegas. The woman I spoke to felt very strongly that Jsearless is wrong. She maintained as I did earlier that for his interpretation to be correct the sentence needed to have read: How about I find, let's say 15 posts, where you have used each of those two words incorrectly? She also argued that misuse of one of the words constitutes misuse of both as it demonstrates a lack of understanding either word. So Vegas wins correct?

Well then I sent an e-mail to Susan B. Kline a Business Communications expert with a BA and MA from Harvard. Ms. Kline also runs a "Grammar Hotline" but via e-mail. Here is her response:

No matter what the intent of the bet, the wording was indeed loose. The loser is correct: You had to find 25 posts in which both “then” and “than” (“those two words”) were used incorrectly. The wager was more likely intended to be: Find 25 posts in which either “then” or “than” was used incorrectly. ..but that was not what the wager stated.

The loser has grounds for refusing to pay. If the bet were not so large, I’d say, “Be a sport,” – but not at $500!
    So she sides with Jsearless but does seem to indicate that he is an angle shooter. In light of differing opinions from expert sources, I think a ban is not appropriate but Jsearless absolutely should be stuck with an angle shooting piece of shit status.

Load Metric
    I decided to consult some experts to end this debate once and for all. I contacted two sources. The first was a "Grammar Hotline" that is run by the University of Maryland English Department. Their phone number is (301) 405-3785. I explained the bet and provided them the exact wording as proposed by Vegas. The woman I spoke to felt very strongly that Jsearless is wrong. She maintained as I did earlier that for his interpretation to be correct the sentence needed to have read: How about I find, let's say 15 posts, where you have used each of those two words incorrectly? She also argued that misuse of one of the words constitutes misuse of both as it demonstrates a lack of understanding either word. So Vegas wins correct?

Well then I sent an e-mail to Susan B. Kline a Business Communications expert with a BA and MA from Harvard. Ms. Kline also runs a "Grammar Hotline" but via e-mail. Here is her response:

No matter what the intent of the bet, the wording was indeed loose. The loser is correct: You had to find 25 posts in which both “then” and “than” (“those two words”) were used incorrectly. The wager was more likely intended to be: Find 25 posts in which either “then” or “than” was used incorrectly. ..but that was not what the wager stated.

The loser has grounds for refusing to pay. If the bet were not so large, I’d say, “Be a sport,” – but not at $500!
    So she sides with Jsearless but does seem to indicate that he is an angle shooter. In light of differing opinions from expert sources, I think a ban is not appropriate but Jsearless absolutely should be stuck with an angle shooting piece of shit status.
    Name:  73e05699.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  32.3 KB
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

great work hut, tight life and all that......but it was indeed the Crowe Douchely thread which fatboy pounced upon like you know what. He's the one who mentioned the coupling of the two t words. That's where Searles got his out. All this other shit is correct but the intention of the bet was pretty straight forward until that fateful post........oh Duddly
    Last edited by limitles; 05-30-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post
    great work hut, tight life and all that......but it was indeed the Crowe Douchely thread which fatboy pounced upon like you know what. He's the one who mentioned the coupling of the two t words. That's where Searles got his out. All this other shit it correct but the intention of the bet was pretty straight forward until that fateful post........oh Duddly
    You've said this a bunch of times Les but its actually wrong...

He tried to pull the same angle on Crowe and Crowe picked up on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

Both words misused in the same post? $100 for 12 in an hr. Go!
    No sir, not both words in the same post; one word used incorrectly in a place where the other word should be used. No silly angles here. 12 cases where you use then OR than incorrectly, when the other word should be used. Is this agreeable?
    JSearles was trying to set up crowe for the same angle before booking their bet. Crowe just realized what he was shooting for and responded accordingly

Load Metric
    FAAAAACCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

limitles figured it out. All this shit's my fault.

I humbly apologize to all involved.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post

Both words misused in the same post? $100 for 12 in an hr. Go!
    No sir, not both words in the same post; one word used incorrectly in a place where the other word should be used. No silly angles here. 12 cases where you use then OR than incorrectly, when the other word should be used. Is this agreeable?
    JSearles was trying to set up crowe for the same angle before booking their bet. Crowe just realized what he was shooting for and responded accordingly
    Hate to disagree with you but a few posts up from where you grabbed yours is #85... Here's where Crowe buggered things up

I think its fair to say that if he puts in ANY effort at all on this, vegas wins this bet within a half hour from now. Seriously. Jsearles is prolifically bad at the then/than combo. Probably could have got all 25 on this board, really, but he doesn;t even have to...

EZ money.
    No one had mentioned combo or both words being used in the same post as the criteria for the bet until Duddly. Searles saw that and ran with it.
    Last edited by limitles; 05-30-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post

Hate to disagree with you but a few posts up from where you grabbed yours is #85... Here's where Crowe buggered things up

I think its fair to say that if he puts in ANY effort at all on this, vegas wins this bet within a half hour from now. Seriously. Jsearles is prolifically bad at the then/than combo. Probably could have got all 25 on this board, really, but he doesn;t even have to...

EZ money.
    No one had mentioned combo or both words being used in the same post as the criteria for the bet until Duddly. Searles saw that and ran with it.
    Well than (then?) I stand corrected... Nice find Les, I missed that post completely

Load Metric

I will take the side of the representative of the University of Maryland's English Dept all day long over some individual with a masters degree in business, I don't give a shit where she graduated

Either way, I have the English Dept at U of Maryland and Dan Druff on my side. That's still 2 out of 3 major authorities, which obv wins unanimous decision.

Still say ban, which obv isn't going to happen now. Kind of like the first 48 IMO.

Ah well.

I do have a question though... Why would someone hang out on a forum where they are pretty much universally hated, and not only that, but also be one of the top contributors and beg people to make more insulting photoshops of him? My God, has there ever been a more desperate, pathetic attention whore?

And this guy says I'm the one who doesn't have shit going on outside of these forums...

Have fun being known as one of the biggest no life having pieces of shit to ever post on these forums Jsearles... You've earned it.

Load Metric
    jsearles is like that kid that just wants attention. They don't care if it is positive or negative as long as they get it.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post

I will take the side of the representative of the University of Maryland's English Dept all day long over some individual with a masters degree in business, I don't give a shit where she graduated

Either way, I have the English Dept at U of Maryland and Dan Druff on my side. That's still 2 out of 3 major authorities, which obv wins unanimous decision.

Still say ban, which obv isn't going to happen now. Kind of like the first 48 IMO.

Ah well.

I do have a question though... Why would someone hang out on a forum where they are pretty much universally hated, and not only that, but also be one of the top contributors and beg people to make more insulting photoshops of him? My God, has there ever been a more desperate, pathetic attention whore?

And this guy says I'm the one who doesn't have shit going on outside of these forums...

Have fun being known as one of the biggest no life having pieces of shit to ever post on these forums Jsearles... You've earned it.
    Vegas I've come to the conclusion that the real reason for him not paying off the bet is if this piece of shit sent you $500, his rent wouldn't be getting paid this month and he's be on the top ramen diet.

Load Metric

This has been my contention all along, that there was in fact an issue with the wording. But given the full context of the entire dialogue it becomes apparent that Vegs won the bet

Load Metric

This has been my contention all along, that there was in fact an issue with the wording. But given the full context of the entire dialogue it becomes apparent that Vegs won the bet
    I made a post here yesterday that was seemingly overlooked because no one replied to it. Either that or it made way too much sense. This whole bet thing is very linear with the betting shit Druff has been complaining about both on here and later on radio. Intent doesnt matter in poker just like it doesnt matter in real life sometimes. Vegas may have intended to say "either" but what he actually said is "those words" which pigeon holed him into a bet that caused him to need to find both words misused in one post. Vegas has not done so, and has refused to pay the bet that he lost. I think he should be shipped the scammer tag immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutmaster
    Vegas I've come to the conclusion that the real reason for him not paying off the bet is if this piece of shit sent you $500, his rent wouldn't be getting paid this month and he's be on the top ramen diet.
    Clearly someone hasnt been following along. Didnt you see I hit a deer and had a good run at cards? No seriously though, im fucking broke. I cant hardly pay my mortgage (errr, rent I mean........).

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas1369

Name:  you mad2.gif
Views: 291
Size:  168.2 KB

Load Metric

I made a post here yesterday that was seemingly overlooked because no one replied to it. Either that or it made way too much sense. This whole bet thing is very linear with the betting shit Druff has been complaining about both on here and later on radio. Intent doesnt matter in poker just like it doesnt matter in real life sometimes. Vegas may have intended to say "either" but what he actually said is "those words" which pigeon holed him into a bet that caused him to need to find both words misused in one post. Vegas has not done so, and has refused to pay the bet that he lost. I think he should be shipped the scammer tag immediately.

Clearly someone hasnt been following along. Didnt you see I hit a deer and had a good run at cards? No seriously though, im fucking broke. I cant hardly pay my mortgage (errr, rent I mean........).
    But you're still an angle-shooter --at best. you may not be convicted criminally but you sure would be in a civil case.

Load Metric

But you're still an angle-shooter --at best. you may not be convicted criminally but you sure would be in a civil case.
    In the last few days it seems that the consensus of the board and even outside "experts" is evolving to the side of this not being worthy of the title of a scam. Therefore, I dont think its appropriate that I am labeled a scammer. Its inaccurate.

Load Metric

In the last few days it seems that the consensus of the board and even outside "experts" is evolving to the side of this not being worthy of the title of a scam. Therefore, I dont think its appropriate that I am labeled a scammer. Its inaccurate.
    His title could be clarified: How about "Attention whoring scammer". Add to that a status of banned and we can all move along.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    His title could be clarified: How about "Attention whoring scammer". Add to that a status of banned and we can all move along.
    So you dont agree that I am grammatically challenged?

Thread Information