Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Republican Debate

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    Rubio is your man, and that's kinda scary.

Versus Hillary who is only there because she married Bill Clinton. To me that is more scary. At least Bernie Sanders actually did something to get to where he is.
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    decent interview / recap

Part 2, from a different source

Carson from the Kelly show recap

Last edited by 4Dragons; 10-29-2015 at 01:33 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post

Can anyone explain HOW and WHY Ben Carson is the front-runner for the Republican patry?
    Because a substantial portion of GOP voters are religious idiots! Like, disbelieving evolution "because The Bible" idiotic.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    Christie talked a lot and made a lot of sound bytes, but didn't really say much.

Rand Paul did shitty and is definitely done.

Carly Fiorina did decently.

Ben Carson seemed weird and not Presidential at all.

Kasich looked uncomfortable.

Jeb raised good points but wasn't memorable.
    I think Carly Fiorina or Rubio would absolutely destroy Hillary Clinton in a debate. Whether they could win is, of course, another issue entirely.

I honestly think that is what is going to come down to. The Republicans need someone that can debate and not necessary the best person/qualified for the job. Jeb Bush may be the best qualified for the job on the Rep side, but he comes off as soft which wont work against Clinton.
    She looks like a cunt.

Load Metric
    Republicans are lashing out at CNBC over Wednesday's night's GOP debate, with the party's campaign chairman saying the network "should be ashamed" of how it was handled.

In a biting statement issued after the event concluded, Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus said that while he was "proud of our candidates and the way they handled tonight’s debate, the performance by the CNBC moderators was extremely disappointing and did a disservice to their network, our candidates, and voters.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“Our diverse field of talented and exceptionally qualified candidates did their best to share ideas for how to reinvigorate the economy and put Americans back to work despite deeply unfortunate questioning."
    "CNBC should be ashamed of how this debate was handled.”

Jeb Bush's campaign manager, Danny Diaz, meanwhile, exchanged words with a CNBC employee over his candidate's lack of speaking time.

"I think it's unfortunate that we didn't have more time. I communicated that. But you know what? We had an opportunity to talk to voters, tomorrow we do again in New Hampshire, and we will again in a few weeks in Milwaukee," Diaz told reporters.
    Bush, who had been looking to use the debate to boost his sagging poll numbers, spoke the least of all the candidates at the debate, according to a New York Times count.

"They didn’t control the debate, plain and simple. It was not a fair debate in that regard," Bush said on CNN.

"There were gotcha questions like there had been in the other debates, as well," he added.

CNBC quickly defended the event as the GOP criticism began pouring in.

"People who want to be President of the United States should be able to answer tough questions," Brian Steel, a CNBC spokesman, told The Hill in an email

During the debate, candidates confronted CNBC moderators for their questions several times, with Ted Cruz leading the charge.

"The questions that have been asked so far in this debate illustrate why the American people don’t trust the media. This is not a cage match,” Cruz said.

"You look at the questions: Donald Trump, are you a comic book villain? Ben Carson, can you do math? John Kasich, can you insult those two people over here? Marco Rubio, why don't you resign? Jeb Bush, why have your numbers fallen? How about talking about the substantive issues the people care about?”

Cruz reiterated that criticism in an appearance on Fox News's "Hannity" after the debate.

"The media, they are the Democrats' cheerleaders," Cruz said.

"The moderators and the networks don’t want the American people to vote for any of the 10 men and women on that stage."

Cruz's shot at the CNBC moderators, which ignited the debate crowd, was one of several combative moments during the prime-time debate.

Trump, who had predicted ahead of the bout that it would be unfair, mixed it up with CNBC moderator John Harwood when he asked whether Trump’s campaign promises amount to a “comic book version of a campaign.”

“It’s not a comic book, and it’s not a very nice leading question,” Trump responded.

Later, in his closing statement, Trump hammered CNBC, accusing the network of seeking to profit off the candidates.

“These folks at CNBC, they had [the debate] down to three, three and a half hours,” Trump said. “I just read today in Tthe New York Times — $250,000 for a 30-second ad. I went out and said it’s ridiculous, I could stand up here all night. Nobody wants to watch three and a half or three hours ... and in two minutes I renegotiated it down to two hours so we can get the hell out of here.”

Several weeks before the debate, Trump and Ben Carson threatened to boycott if CNBC scheduled a debate that lasted for more than two hours and didn’t allow the candidates opening and closing remarks.

“I have to hand it to Ben, he was with me on this. We called in [and] we said that’s it, we’re not doing it,” Trump said.

Harwood disputed Trump’s account.

“Just for the record, the debate was always going to be two hours,” he said.

Trump shot back: “That’s not right. That’s absolutely not right. You know that. That’s not right.”

Many of the lower-polling candidates, including Mike Huckabee and Rand Paul, also swatted down the moderators when told their time was up, noting that many of the other candidates had been allowed to continue.

The moderators appeared to be losing control in the latter half of the debate, with the candidates repeatedly talking over each other until they could claim the stage.

Chris Christie, known for his own brash personality, took issue with interruptions by moderators when he was answering a question on daily fantasy football.

“Do you want me to answer or do you want to answer?” he asked Harwood to cheers.

“I’ve got to tell you the truth, even in New Jersey what you are doing is called rude.”

In Trump's post-debate interview with CNBC, he praised the event as "terrific" and said he thought the questions were much more difficult than those at the Democratic debate earlier this month.

"If you looked at Hillary's deal a couple of weeks ago, the questions were much softer, much easier, much nicer. It was like a giant love-fest. That did not take place over here. This was pretty tough," he said, referring to Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton.

When asked by the interviewer whether the tough questions made the debate "fair," Trump answered, "I think so."

Comments

thesparten: No fan of rnc but he was right and so was vruz and Christie

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Republicans are lashing out at CNBC over Wednesday's night's GOP debate, with the party's campaign chairman saying the network "should be ashamed" of how it was handled.

In a biting statement issued after the event concluded, Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus said that while he was "proud of our candidates and the way they handled tonight’s debate, the performance by the CNBC moderators was extremely disappointing and did a disservice to their network, our candidates, and voters.”

When asked by the interviewer whether the tough questions made the debate "fair," Trump answered, "I think so."
    in video form:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Right now the 3 I am most likely to vote for are Bush, Fiorina, and Rubio.

Do not at all like Christie, Trump, Huckabee, or Carson.
    And your not a rhino, right??

Load Metric
    Today, 09:01 AM
    thesparten
    Contributor
    This message is hidden because thesparten is on your ignore list.
    View Post
    Remove user from ignore list
    View Post

Load Metric
    Every election cycle is the same.

Each Party will try and offer Candidates who has a different position on a wide variety of different issues and interests. This is why you get the Herman Cain's, and Donald Trumps. In reality, very few of these types are actually ever a contender at all, and are really there more as fluff. To have their voices and opinions heard. Money is really powerful though, which is what puts Donald Trump into a kind of quagmire for the GOP.

Its usually as simple as cutting off the 'money' via the GOP and that candidate is as good as gone without the party backing (financially). Well Trump does not need anyone's money and that in and of itself is whats making him such a difficult force to deal with. He is too personally rich and on a mission to simply just, shut up. When and where will it end time will tell.

This particular group once slimmed down will probably be more like, Rubio/Trump/Christie/Carson/Jeb.

Trump/Rubio/Christie is one gets the nomination could actually choose to elect the other as a VP nomination. Especially Rubio since he appeals so well to the hispanic vote, which in America in 2016 is a VERY important vote to have. Rubio obviously offers the GOP a favorable hispanic voter turnout which would be huge in the General National election. That is imo more of whats carrying him, because he does look way out of his league imo, and is of too little experience today to be a seriously consideration.

But what do I know, just opinion.

Comments

Jayjami: Nice post Garrett

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post

I think Carly Fiorina or Rubio would absolutely destroy Hillary Clinton in a debate. Whether they could win is, of course, another issue entirely.

I honestly think that is what is going to come down to. The Republicans need someone that can debate and not necessary the best person/qualified for the job. Jeb Bush may be the best qualified for the job on the Rep side, but he comes off as soft which wont work against Clinton.
    She looks like a cunt.
    She actually does, and that might hurt her.

However, in the general election this won't matter much, as Hillary looks and sounds just as bitchy.

I think she might have the best shot of beating Hillary in the general election, given that she will neutralize Hillary's "first woman President" advantage, and that she can probably match up against Hillary well in a debate.

I am still concerned that her bad record at HP will come back to bite her, though.

Load Metric
    I'm definitely a liberal and find a lot of the Republicans running for office to be inept, but even I didn't appreciate the tone of the CNBC's moderators. These people are running for president, don't be a jerk even if their answers or viewpoints seem absurd. Don't mock them or try to purposely make them look bad, they do it just fine themselves. CNBC, you made liberals come off as cocky jerks. Not to say most aren't, but if you are going to be in the public spotlight on such a huge stage, how about not being a dick? Let Trump, Carson, Cruz handle that.

Comments

vegas1369:

tony bagadonuts:
    We pray for understanding as we all occasionally request back door action by accident, when we tried to call an electrician. It happens, it simply happens.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I don't even think the moderators were doing this because of hatred of Republicans.

I think they believed they were clever by asking the "tough" questions and trying to incite controversy. They were probably patting themselves on the back before the debate, believing they were going to be creating a biting, tough exchange where no one was spared from their own skeletons!

Instead, it backfired, as the candidates both rejected the incendiary questions and called the moderators out for what they were trying to pull. Rather than give up on their tactics, the moderators stayed on course, and still attempted to hit the candidates with loaded, controversial questions.

Turns out that people actually wanted to hear the Presidential candidates discuss the issues, and not watch the verbal equivalent of cage wrestling. Imagine that.

Load Metric
    Rubio's stance on no abortion even in cases of rape and incest is going to kill him if he gets into a general election against Hillary Clinton. Thats to the right and considered extremist by the vast majority of the country not named sklansky. More women vote every election. That will be more pronounced in an election with a woman at the top of the ticket. Plus, he's just not there yet as a candidate. He's the most viable though still. There is a way for him to win by offsetting her huge female advantage by getting a larger piece of Hispanic vote. I've heard Mexicans downplay Cubans as real Latinos or things along that line. Don't know if thats a real thing. I live in the least Hispanic area of the country, so I don't have a lot of people to gauge.

Fiorina is an excellent communicator, but she seems to be fading hard and I think her window has closed. Her resume as a business leader is just too poor. She killed those first two debates, but her bumps upward didnt sustain, and she didn't excel in this one from everything I've heard. Was out last night and have yet to see it.

Despite huge demographic hurdles I liked the Republicans chances a month ago. Now, I'm not seeing it, but a year is a long time and external factors change things quickly

Load Metric
    If you watch one political vid today...

Comments

MumblesBadly: Rubio comes off as that bookish nerd who wants to be liked by the rich jocks and will peddle their lies for that affect.

Load Metric
    I don't even think the moderators were doing this because of hatred of Republicans.

I think they believed they were clever by asking the "tough" questions and trying to incite controversy. They were probably patting themselves on the back before the debate, believing they were going to be creating a biting, tough exchange where no one was spared from their own skeletons!

Instead, it backfired, as the candidates both rejected the incendiary questions and called the moderators out for what they were trying to pull. Rather than give up on their tactics, the moderators stayed on course, and still attempted to hit the candidates with loaded, controversial questions.

Turns out that people actually wanted to hear the Presidential candidates discuss the issues, and not watch the verbal equivalent of cage wrestling. Imagine that.

I also think that each debate has a 'personality' that the hosts dictate, and this was their 'poke them with sticks and see who acts presidential and who doesnt' debate.

Comments

garrett: stick to non-substantive issues. That is all you are good at, period!
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post

She looks like a cunt.
    She actually does, and that might hurt her.

However, in the general election this won't matter much, as Hillary looks and sounds just as bitchy.

I think she might have the best shot of beating Hillary in the general election, given that she will neutralize Hillary's "first woman President" advantage, and that she can probably match up against Hillary well in a debate.

I am still concerned that her bad record at HP will come back to bite her, though.

I thing she's the best chance the republicans have and would vote for her today if I could.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

I also think that each debate has a 'personality' that the hosts dictate, and this was their 'poke them with sticks and see who acts presidential and who doesnt' debate.

So why did they treat the Republican candidates in this fashion and the Democrats with complete softball bullshit? SFrigged, worse than UB.

Load Metric
    literally can't believe what I'm reading here...

some of the worst posts i've ever seen on any forum.

cumulative brain power at an all time low.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

So why did they treat the Republican candidates in this fashion and the Democrats with complete softball bullshit? SFrigged, worse than UB.
    Because Democratic candidates don't say stupid shit like we're going to build a wall, and I'm going to charge a 10% flat tax, or I'm going to round up 11 million people and send them back to Mexico, or literally calling another person running ugly... It's hard to take them seriously, but it's their job as moderators to do so.
    We pray for understanding as we all occasionally request back door action by accident, when we tried to call an electrician. It happens, it simply happens.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Carl Bernstein a big dem kahoona as well as others stated today that NBC was disgraceful..

He also stated that it's dems that are in the bubble..

He also stated it is very likely we will have a republican president.

That the majority of working class tax givers are Republican and the overwhelming small businesses are as well, who coincedently hire the majority of tax givers.

That big business has become ever more synonmouse with dems and SMALL community business with Republicans..

Also just because u want the border secure doesn't mean u hate Mexican or minorities there is an ever growing upswell of Republican support in the black community against dems. Immigration being only one reason..

Bottom line he feels NBC should apologize and dems have to change because the republicans (any of them) are very capable of taking the w.H. and he feel there is ever growing just cause or perception of that..

Thread Information