Thread: Warning: Do not use your Chase credit card at 2 gas stations in one day, or you can kiss the card goodbye

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Warning: Do not use your Chase credit card at 2 gas stations in one day, or you can kiss the card goodbye

Chase has a fucked up bug in their "fraud" algorithm connected to gas stations, which is where a lot of credit card fraud tends to occur.

In 2014, I filled up my rental car in the morning in Alaska, drove it all day, and then refilled it before returning it at night. Chase sent me a fraud alert text, asking me to text back "1" if those charges were legit. I did so, it thanked me, and that should have been that.

NOPE

Every time I went to a gas station after that, the card failed. I would then call Chase, and they would promise to have "cleared the hold", and it never worked. The card simply would not work at gas stations anymore.

The dumbasses in security had the nerve to try to blame this on the terminals at the gas stations, claiming the problem must be on their end (lol).

Finally they agreed with me that they probably had some error in their system that was causing this.

They claimed they would "open an investigation which will take approximately 3 weeks" and get back to me.

I suggested, "Hey, how about you just cancel the card as stolen, and send me a new one with a new number?"

They agreed, and that fixed the problem.

FAST FORWARD TO THIS WEEK

I foolishly used my Chase card (the new one I received last year) at 2 gas stations in one day. Again, this involved a rental car. However, both stations were within 50 miles of my home, so I figured this wouldn't happen, because I wasn't in some strange place like Alaska.

My card sent me a text fraud alert. I texted back "1" just like last time, and got confirmation just like last time.

And just like last time, my credit card no longer works at gas stations.

Still, nobody can explain it. I think I'm just going to give up and cancel the card. This shit isn't worth it.

A word to the wise: Do not use your Chase card twice in one day at gas stations.

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: More importantly, are you able to move your mouth vigorously again?

Lannister: info

Load Metric
    I use my Chase card at multiple gas stations all the time and I have never had this happen to me.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BONUS BANK FAILSTORY:

This doesn't involve Chase, but another huge bank with over $50 billion in assets.

I got this e-mail a few days ago:

To: <my email address>
    Date: Sept 29, 7:15am PDT
    Subject: Return Order# 105****** Item Return Confirmation

September 29, 2015

Dear TODD WITTELES:

We have received your returned merchandise from order #105******. If your return is for credit, your account will be credited the next business day. Returns for exchange will be released to our distribution center for fulfillment. You may view your order and return details by accessing My Orders on your awards website.

If you have further questions about this return, you may contact our Customer Service department, toll-free at 1-877-***-**** from 7:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M. Central Time, Monday through Friday.

Sincerely,

REWARDS Headquarters

Please do not reply to this email.
    Looks like some kind of phishing bullshit, right? Keep in mind that it's been months since I have returned anything anywhere.

Notice the company identifies itself as REWARDS HEADQUARTERS, refers to "your awards website" without naming it, and does not state any information specific to my "return" or what company they represent.

Was pretty sure this was a scam, so I called it from a throwaway number and questioned it. They wouldn't tell me anything at first, and asked for my address to "verify my identity".

Yeah, right.

So I then told them I'm not telling them a thing until they tell me who they are. We went back and forth on this for a few minutes, until I thought to give them that reference number. So I gave them that, and they told me that this was in regards to a certain bank, where I actually do have an account.

And while I hadn't returned anything there, I did redeem points a few days before that to get a credit card bonus back to my statement.

I asked the company on the phone to tell me about this "return" (which I still didn't understand), and they had no information. They transferred me instead to the bank's main phone #, who also knew nothing about it.

Then I went back to the bank's website and found that my $250 in bonus rewards had been "returned" (canceled) for no apparent reason, and that disaster of an e-mail above was their way of informing me.

Nobody could solve this, and nobody could figure out why this was happening.

Finally I spoke to my branch's manager, who was horrified when he saw the scammy-looking e-mail and couldn't believe what was going on. Apparently they hired some shadeball third party company to process these "rewards" (even though this was a credit back to their OWN accounts, so hiring a third party doesn't make any sense), and they didn't realize that this fail was occurring.

So now a huge issue about this is getting raised way up the chain of command at the company, and now they are running around like chickens with their heads cut off, trying to rectify this situation (the general problem, not mine specifically) before it becomes a major embarrassment for them. I was asked for a copy of the e-mail I received so they can basically bring it to the third party company as evidence they are fucking up, and either fire them or force major changes.

Keep in mind that this isn't some tiny local bank, but a big international one with over $50 billion in assets. They are just kinda new to the credit card thing, and they assigned morons to put the whole thing together.

I won't name the bank just yet.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fail View Post
    I use my Chase card at multiple gas stations all the time and I have never had this happen to me.
    Why are you going to multiple gas stations in one day "all the time"?

Do you have a 5 gallon tank?

Comments

smiflorida: doctor shopping for more vicodin?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Possibly a more relevant question is what *type* of Chase card does he have (Slate, Freedom, Sapphire). The badly designed fraud trigger could be card-type dependent, given that each type of card has a different target demographic. And the one Druff has could be more prone to be fraudulent uses.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

Possibly a more relevant question is what *type* of Chase card does he have (Slate, Freedom, Sapphire). The badly designed fraud trigger could be card-type dependent, given that each type of card has a different target demographic. And the one Druff has could be more prone to be fraudulent uses.
    It's the Freedom card.

I was using it because they were giving 5% off on gas from 7/1-9/30, but obviously that's not worth the hassle if this bullshit is going to keep happening.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I never do buisness with chase, citi Bank or wells fargo. They fuck the little guy and are verry arogant. By little under 10mill net worth..

Td bank is the shit, also apple bank and astoria federal savings. Capital 1 is ok.

Load Metric

1) Multiple different cars, including a work vehicle that I am reimbursed for.

2) I'm an idiot because I missed "credit" card, I use my debit card.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Owning up to flub rep

JimmyG_415: I missed the credit part, too. Why not just call it in stolen again? It clears the slate it sounds like.

Load Metric

It's the Freedom card.

I was using it because they were giving 5% off on gas from 7/1-9/30, but obviously that's not worth the hassle if this bullshit is going to keep happening.
    Interesting OP. However, I read it and feel blessed my life is not full of this kind of bullshit.

Went to Cumberland Farms for gas today.. Discount gas and convenience store in Northeast. Prolly on par with Circle K.

$2.11 Cash
    $2.21 Credit

$2.21 (credit) x .95 = $2.0995

Isn't the penny difference a push? You accelerate aggressively to merge into traffic - you lose your savings.

I don't normally get too worked up about pump price. I am recently fascinated to see the drive below $2 - so I remembered this trip.

You drive an upscale car? Maybe a BMW? Why? Comfort, performance, reliability. Yet you are sweating pennies with third parties. Seems to spoil the whole experience. I'd rather drive a Toyota and use the savings to eliminate stress at the pump and repair shop if the pennies mean that much.

I don't sweat the small stuff. You can count on something big coming along that will fuck you up. That's life. Makes the pennies and aggravation seem ridiculous in comparison. Relax.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

It's the Freedom card.

Interesting OP. However, I read it and feel blessed my life is not full of this kind of bullshit.

Went to Cumberland Farms for gas today.. Discount gas and convenience store in Northeast. Prolly on par with Circle K.

$2.11 Cash
    $2.21 Credit

Isn't the penny difference a push? You accelerate aggressively to merge into traffic - you lose your savings.

I don't normally get too worked up about pump price. I am recently fascinated to see the drive below $2 - so I remembered this trip.

You drive an upscale car? Maybe a BMW? Why? Comfort, performance, reliability. Yet you are sweating pennies with third parties. Seems to spoil the whole experience. I'd rather drive a Toyota and use the savings to eliminate stress at the pump and repair shop if the pennies mean that much.

I don't sweat the small stuff. You can count on something big coming along that will fuck you up. That's life. Makes the pennies and aggravation seem ridiculous in comparison. Relax.
    Fucken great post.....

What i was trying to say inchherently to druff and others like him..

I appreciate druff is on point with a lot of things and i strive to shore up my finances just listening to him. He has been a good influence and i have to get smarter about shit. Nor was i a fool before druff jew influence..

Sanlmar doesnt get enouph credit how to the point and smooth his posts are. Fucken smooth...

Its a matter of degree. Its to the point were it suck all the life out of the room as well as the energy to the people around u. AND ALL THE FUN.
    When it gets to that point its not worth it.

Im sure druff disagrees but so do crack heads.

Load Metric
    BONUS BANK FAILSTORY:

This doesn't involve Chase, but another huge bank with over $50 billion in assets.

I got this e-mail a few days ago:

To: <my email address>
    Date: Sept 29, 7:15am PDT
    Subject: Return Order# 105****** Item Return Confirmation

September 29, 2015

Dear TODD WITTELES:

We have received your returned merchandise from order #105******. If your return is for credit, your account will be credited the next business day. Returns for exchange will be released to our distribution center for fulfillment. You may view your order and return details by accessing My Orders on your awards website.

If you have further questions about this return, you may contact our Customer Service department, toll-free at 1-877-***-**** from 7:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M. Central Time, Monday through Friday.

Sincerely,

REWARDS Headquarters

Please do not reply to this email.
    Looks like some kind of phishing bullshit, right? Keep in mind that it's been months since I have returned anything anywhere.

Notice the company identifies itself as REWARDS HEADQUARTERS, refers to "your awards website" without naming it, and does not state any information specific to my "return" or what company they represent.

Was pretty sure this was a scam, so I called it from a throwaway number and questioned it. They wouldn't tell me anything at first, and asked for my address to "verify my identity".

Yeah, right.

So I then told them I'm not telling them a thing until they tell me who they are. We went back and forth on this for a few minutes, until I thought to give them that reference number. So I gave them that, and they told me that this was in regards to a certain bank, where I actually do have an account.

And while I hadn't returned anything there, I did redeem points a few days before that to get a credit card bonus back to my statement.

I asked the company on the phone to tell me about this "return" (which I still didn't understand), and they had no information. They transferred me instead to the bank's main phone #, who also knew nothing about it.

Then I went back to the bank's website and found that my $250 in bonus rewards had been "returned" (canceled) for no apparent reason, and that disaster of an e-mail above was their way of informing me.

Nobody could solve this, and nobody could figure out why this was happening.

Finally I spoke to my branch's manager, who was horrified when he saw the scammy-looking e-mail and couldn't believe what was going on. Apparently they hired some shadeball third party company to process these "rewards" (even though this was a credit back to their OWN accounts, so hiring a third party doesn't make any sense), and they didn't realize that this fail was occurring.

So now a huge issue about this is getting raised way up the chain of command at the company, and now they are running around like chickens with their heads cut off, trying to rectify this situation (the general problem, not mine specifically) before it becomes a major embarrassment for them. I was asked for a copy of the e-mail I received so they can basically bring it to the third party company as evidence they are fucking up, and either fire them or force major changes.

Keep in mind that this isn't some tiny local bank, but a big international one with over $50 billion in assets. They are just kinda new to the credit card thing, and they assigned morons to put the whole thing together.

I won't name the bank just yet.

Typical outsourcing bullshit promoted by empty-suit MBAs that populate corporate office ranks in those finance business behemoths.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by thesparten View Post

$2.11 Cash
    $2.21 Credit

Fucken great post.....

I appreciate druff is on point with a lot of things and i strive to shore up my finances just listening to him. He has been a good influence and i have to get smarter about shit. Nor was i a fool before druff jew influence..

Sanlmar doesnt get enouph credit how to the point and smooth his posts are. Fucken smooth...

Its a matter of degree. Its to the point were it suck all the life out of the room as well as the energy to the people around u. AND ALL THE FUN.

While I personally follow Sanlmar's prescription in my daily life, I don't think you appreciate how much Druff considers saving that 5% *as his fun*. It is something he enjoys. Someday he'll be on his deathbed celebrating a few things, and one of them will be the $ he saved by taking advantage of those deals, so that he can pass the saved money along to Benjamin. Who will possibly blow most of it partying for awhile like the Prodigal Son now that his discount-hunting father won't be around to bug him about how he could be saving money. And I respect that.

Comments

YUUP: Lol'd

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thesparten View Post

Fucken great post.....

While I personally follow Sanlmar's prescription in my daily life, I don't think you appreciate how much Druff considers saving that 5% *as his fun*. It is something he enjoys. Someday he'll be on his deathbed celebrating a few things, and one of them will be the $ he saved by taking advantage of those deals, so that he can pass the saved money along to Benjamin. Who will possibly blow most of it partying for awhile like the Prodigal Son now that his discount-hunting father won't be around to bug him about how he could be saving money. And I respect that.
    Im sure crackheads think there having a good time but there just sick...

Its a matter of degree. Some people are foolish some ignorent. Some are smart or thrifty and some shrewed or cheap but druff is sick..

Comments

YUUP: Shrewed rep

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I have had issues with credit cards in Europe.

Comments

zealanddonk: Old School quote rep

Dan Druff: lol
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

It's the Freedom card.

$2.11 Cash
    $2.21 Credit

Gas is way more expensive in the west, especially California. Still well over $3.

Anyway, I don't use the credit card if the cash price is low enough to where the savings are negated, but a lot of stations around here have the same (or very close) price per gallon for cash and credit.

I don't obsess over the 5% thing. If I get it, I get it. If I don't, then oh well. But yes, I will use the credit card getting me 5% off if that's available.

This thread was about Chase killing credit cards and being unable to fix them when you use the card in 2 gas stations in 1 day. It's happened to me twice. Either I run horrible, or it's a chronic problem with them.

Most of my credit card bonus whoring is about getting lump sum bonuses which are relatively easy for me to obtain (like $500, 50k airline miles, etc).

Despite my Jewishness, I won't bother with credit cards with a signup bonus of less than $200, unless I like the credit card for other reasons as well. Just not worth the hassle.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Thats fair and rational :-)

Thread Information