Thread: Moonlanding but new to me: Lena Dunham made up a phony rape in her book, refused to clear falsely accused man

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Moonlanding but new to me: Lena Dunham made up a phony rape in her book, refused to clear falsely accused man

I never liked Lena Dunham. Sure, she is currently a Hollywood darling, and loads of critics loved her show "Girls".

But I find her to be an ugly (inside and out), self-indulgent, mega-attention-whore who is vulgar for the sake of vulgarity.

This story really takes the cake, though, and I wonder why the mainstream media just let it slide into oblivion (actually I don't wonder...)

You would think that, with the focus on Bill Cosby recently, there would be a push to encourage women to report rapists, while at the same time directing a clear and vicious backlash against proven false accusers. After all, false rape accusations are extremely damaging to all women, as each instance degrades people's trust in legitimate rape claims, and that's a huge shame. Any true feminist should HATE false rape accusers.

So Lena Dunham got a $3.7 million advance from Random House to write a book last year.

In one passage of the book, she described a "rape" at the hands of a guy named Barry. She did NOT note that Barry was a pseudoname, as she had done in other parts of her book when changing people's names. The reader was left to assume that Barry was the actual name of her rapist.

First off, she twisted the term "rape" to mean something it doesn't. In her story, Barry supposedly shoved his fingers inside of her during a makeout session "without permission", but she claimed to have been on drugs and forced herself to like it. She also invited Barry back to her room for sex. However, Barry secretly removed the condom twice during sex, and after the second time, she got angry and threw him out. He left without incident.

Does that sound like rape to you? Obviously not. However, Dunham frames it in a drama queen fashion that basically she was too drugged up (by her own doing, not by Barry secretly drugging her) to know what was going on, so even though she consented to the sex, she didn't really want it, so therefore it was rape.

What?!

But that's not the worst part.

It turns out that Barry was not the "rapist's" actual name, yet her description of him came extremely close to that of an actual Barry at her college.

The Barry she described:

1. Is named Barry.
    2. Was an Oberlin College graduate
    3. Attended Oberlin at the same time she did at the time of the "rape" (2005)
    4. Was a Republican.
    5. Was a prominent campus Republican.
    6. Worked at a school library.
    7. Was a super senior (a 5 year-student).

Oberlin is a small, liberal school of 3,000 people with very few Republican students.

"Coincidentally", there was an actual student at Oberlin, who:

1. Was named Barry
    2. Graduated Oberlin College in 2006
    3. Attended Oberlin in 2005 when the "rape" occurred
    4. Was a Republican.
    5. Was a prominent campus Republican, active in the campus' only Republican organization.
    6. Worked at one of the libraries at the school.
    7. Was a 5th-year senior in the 2005-2006 school year.

However, the Barry in Dunham's description also wore purple cowboy boots, had a huge mustache, had a super-low voice, and hosted a conservative radio show in the area.

The actual Barry above did not own any cowboy boots, did not have a mustache at the time, had a normal voice, and did not host any radio shows. Lena actually described throwing his cowboy boots out the door when kicking him out.

The other odd thing was that the details about Barry's political affiliation and employment at the library were extraneous. If it was a fictitious story, why insert these weird details, unless you are basing it upon a real person and making up nasty stories about them?

So it's pretty clear to me that Lena knew of Barry at the school (despite the fact that he never met her), disliked him because of his outspoken conservative politics, and decided to craft a phony rapist around him.

People read Dunham's book, were of course curious as to who raped her, and googled "Barry Oberlin Republican class of 2006", and instantly came up with the guy's name.

But that's still not the worst part.

Dunham's book was released on September 30, 2014. Barry immediately received threatening and harassing phone calls over the rape accusations, and quickly hired an attorney. By October 6 (just a week after the book's release), Barry's attorney contacted both Random House and Dunham to clear his name. They were ignored for over 2 months, until Breitbart and the National Review repeatedly took them to task for it.

It took until December 8 -- two days after a media storm erupted over a crowdfunding campaign to pay for Barry's attorney -- for Random House and Dunham to admit that this Barry was innocent. This was 63 days AFTER hearing from Barry's attorney about the situation, and 56 days after reading the National Review article about Barry's life falling apart over the situation.

Over $20,000 in legal bills were racked up during this time by Barry.

Dunham was definitely aware of it, because she read a National Review article about the situation on October 17, and then attacked the article on Twitter the next day. While bashing the article, she never once indicated that Barry was indeed innocent!

Here is a timeline of the situation: http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywo...-to-barry-one/

It took the beginnings of it bleeding into the mainstream media (she thought she could just ignore Breitbart and the National Review, being conservative publications) for her to clear this poor guy.

So you can't even say that this was all just an unfortunate coincidence, and that Dunham never meant to hurt anyone.

What a selfish cunt.

I guess when you are a super-rich liberal media darling, you don't have to care about ruining the life of an everyman Republican.

So why hasn't the mainstream media condemned Dunham for this? Oh, I forgot... because she's their darling, and they don't want to say anything bad about her.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Neither liberal nor feminist, I'm a fan of Lena Dunham's work. This story all sounds very Michael Savage-y, as much right-wing hatchet job as left-wing media hypocrisy.

Load Metric
    I 100 % agree and couldn't said it as well as this.
    What a Fucked up story, is that Barry guy going to take action?

(5 year Senior = Super Senior? I've never heard that expression, I was like a super star Senior then.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I never liked Lena Dunham. Sure, she is currently a Hollywood darling, and loads of critics loved her show "Girls".

But I find her to be an ugly (inside and out), self-indulgent, mega-attention-whore who is vulgar for the sake of vulgarity.

Comments

Dan Druff: San Francisco Jimmy agrees with me... wow
    San Francisco crowned the ‘world’s best’ city to live: survey
    https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...o-live-survey/

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmProfessionalTalk View Post
    Neither liberal nor feminist, I'm a fan of Lena Dunham's work. This story all sounds very Michael Savage-y, as much right-wing hatchet job as left-wing media hypocrisy.
    How is it a right wing hatchet job?

Seeing that it was from Breitbart, I tried to look at this from various angles, knowing that it could indeed be a right-wing attack on Dunham.

But it all seems to add up.

She seriously accused this "Barry" of rape in her book, and an actual Barry at this small school comes very close to fitting this description, yet the story is clearly fictitious (or occurred involving a completely different man).

Is the right wing media taking delight in this story, being able to bash Dunham?

Sure. But the story also appears to be true, and Dunham was a cold, selfish bitch in how she handled the situation.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmProfessionalTalk View Post
    How is it a right wing hatchet job?

Seeing that it was from Breitbart, I tried to look at this from various angles, knowing that it could indeed be a right-wing attack on Dunham.

But it all seems to add up.

She seriously accused this "Barry" of rape in her book, and an actual Barry at this small school comes very close to fitting this description, yet the story is clearly fictitious (or occurred involving a completely different man).

Is the right wing media taking delight in this story, being able to bash Dunham?

Sure. But the story also appears to be true, and Dunham was a cold, selfish bitch in how she handled the situation.
    I'm no fan of Breitbart.com, and hold my nose when they make a sensationalist claim, but the story was also covered by it's liberal counterpart (The Huffington Post):
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6296796

----

As for Dunham: I'm no fan of her work, but my guess is partly it is due to a generational thing even separate from a gender thing. (she's a millennial; I'm a tail-end baby boomer.)

But the other likely factor is that Dunham is part of the generation of young women who subscribe to a fucked-up variant of feminism that appears to believe in employing Göebbelesque levels of fabrication to advance its agenda.

This video is one of many by the YouTuber Thunderf00t that shines the spotlight of logic on the ridiculousness of some of it leading members. Altogether, they show how fucked up the "theology" of this brand of feminism is. And millenials who have been sipping its koolaid over the years, including likely Dunham, possibly have very twisted senses of 'social justice'.

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

What a horrible cunt. At least her show is ending, so that's some good news.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The Huffington Post article was on December 9, AFTER Random House admitted that this was BS and that Barry was falsely accused.

Also, since this whole thing died down shortly after Lena's 2-sentence statement of Barry's innocence (sandwiched within a long, self-indulgent essay about why she wrote about rape), the media has pretended like it never happened, and has gone back to worshipping Lena.

Somehow it's totally cool with them that she made up a rape to sell books, and then let some poor innocent sap twist in the wind for over 2 months, refusing to dignify him with a statement about his innocence.

Imagine how the media would have treated a conservative who had done the same thing.

Load Metric
    The Huffington Post article was on December 9, AFTER Random House admitted that this was BS and that Barry was falsely accused.

Also, since this whole thing died down shortly after Lena's 2-sentence statement of Barry's innocence (sandwiched within a long, self-indulgent essay about why she wrote about rape), the media has pretended like it never happened, and has gone back to worshipping Lena.

Somehow it's totally cool with them that she made up a rape to sell books, and then let some poor innocent sap twist in the wind for over 2 months, refusing to dignify him with a statement about his innocence.

Imagine how the media would have treated a conservative who had done the same thing.

Lena's reply to Druff:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  92.9 KB
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    I too find Lena Dunham obnoxious and the OP shed light on her likely awfulness.

That being said, is she was conventionally attractive and feminist, would the right wing machine have even noticed her from the get go?

I agree that she is the liberal darling which has largely masked the fact that Girls has steadily declined since season one, but she only gained right wing notoriety because she is chunky and comfortable with it.

Comments

Lannister: Doesn't know what a liberal is
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    I too find Lena Dunham obnoxious and the OP shed light on her likely awfulness.

That being said, is she was conventionally attractive and feminist, would the right wing machine have even noticed her from the get go?

I agree that she is the liberal darling which has largely masked the fact that Girls has steadily declined since season one, but she only gained right wing notoriety because she is chunky and comfortable with it.
    Oh and to top it off the lying trolling cunt has now QUIT twitter over "bullying".. Cry me a river bitch you opened the fucking dam with your lies and bullshit.. Take it like the manhating feminist whore you are.

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    Oh and to top it off the lying trolling cunt has now QUIT twitter over "bullying".. Cry me a river bitch you opened the fucking dam with your lies and bullshit.. Take it like the manhating feminist whore you are.

Well you seem like a completely sane person.
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83
    I'm going to come across as a bit of a douche but I really know more about this then anyone on this board by miles.

...if Trump is nominee he wins Presidency easily. Angry Blue Collar Whites will have record turnout.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Now Lena Dunham is making rape awareness videos?

The same Lena Dunham who callously tried to ruin an innocent dude's life by falsely accusing him of rape in her book?

Oooooooooookay

What a disgusting human being.

Somehow the video isn't even on YouTube. Here it is:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...am-girls-video

I liked Steven Crowder's response to it:

Comments

MumblesBadly: I feel really sorry for the millenial guys. They got dealt some fucked up women in their generation. (Time for them to go all-cougar all-of-the-time?)

Thread Information