Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Netflix thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Cleaned up this thread. Please no more shitposting here. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thesparten View Post
    i dont understand why pick netflix..
    Hulu clings to the dying model of making you pay for the privilege of watching 4 minutes of ads every 10 minutes. Not surprising considering they're owned by Fox, NBC and Disney.

The advantage of Hulu isn't the size of its catalog. Many of the shows you mentioned are also available on Netflix, and overall Hulu has a fraction of the content Netflix offers. Hulu's edge is in timely delivery. When an episode of The Biggest Loser or whatever airs on TV, it will be on Hulu within a day (I think). On Netflix, you may have to wait months after a show's season ends before it becomes available.
    A day after is cool, no?

Now with the Showtime add on and the purchsse of epix streaming rights is cool..

Love binge watching..

Ive tried prime and netflix wasnt impressed.. larger cataloge of b and c movies yes.. but to have the makority of hit current t.v. shows that u can see the next day as well as a ton of t.v. that got cancceled but you can watch all the episodes is fun for a t.v. geek..

I know the fall back position is the adds but when im binge watching the x files or american horror story or the pre curser from the 80,s american gothic or the strain or helix or the latest DR. WHO ect ect.. plus the movies are getting better, much better..

Fyi it's not 4minutes out of ten. Must u ALWAYS have a nit tilt...I.would say 4 minuts of an episode which is 4 minutes out of 42minutes...

Im sure even though there owened by major studios the big money is still (for now) commercial t.v espeacialy when its a hit.. im sure hulu as a division and seperate corp entity mutualy owned has to pay there parent company streaming right,s. NOT CHEAP espeacialy when the series is still in production and your episodes ARE the very next day. Wheather it's supernatural, the 100 or under the dome..

Given how expensive it would be to stream those from abc, cbs, cw. I could live with 4 minutes per episode plus 8 bucks.

Also throw in.hulu is a great dvr player..

The mega hit shows do have more commercials.but the average I would say is 4 minutes per episode..

Forgot to mention they have an add free ad on for 5$ more. I donr have it.. I pay 17$ thats hulu plus + showtime..

Its not! 4 minuts out of 10. Not even close. For any show hot or not..

I dont even use my cable anymore. Just go to hulu and press next on my Que.. the latest episodes are right there

I only keep my cable.becouse I have a grandfathered.promo platinum trple play from cablevusion and I dont want to.lose my land phone even though I dont use it.. hulu is all.u need for new programming, old programing and mivies. Hulu, epix and showtime movies. Epix library with just hulu+..
    Last edited by thesparten; 10-13-2015 at 04:33 AM.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Maybe this is an age difference thing. There's very little programming currently airing on basic cable that interests me. If by mega-hit shows you mean ones that are pulling in huge ratings, like The Big Bang Theory and The Voice, then Hulu is indeed the way to go. If we're talking about critically acclaimed series, I'm not so sure it's the best.

I guess ads aren't a huge deal if you're used to it, but I have no patience for it anymore after cutting cable years ago and living with AdBlock. There's also a matter of principle. You can't say that Hulu needs to run ads to cover costs when Netflix is outspending them by a factor of 10 on licensing content. It's like $500 million vs. $5 billion per year, and they charge about the same price. Is this an issue of scale or or they just being greedy cunts? Comcast owns NBC (an owner of Hulu), so probably the latter. Either way, huge turnoff.

I can understand preferring Hulu if you need to see the latest cable programming on a week-to-week basis. It has some advantages, but none of them apply to me.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Netflix hasn't drawn me in yet. I haven't cut the cable.

I still like the model of being able to turn on my TV and watch something without hooking up the computer to it. (I actually hate the process I have to use in order to watch regular season Dodgers games, which requires exactly that.)

I still like being able to scroll through a menu of what's on right now and pick something.

I still like being able to see the major network programs on the day they are on, or in the days following, and having the DVR so I can speed through the commercials.

Also, I like having a home phone, and nowadays when you bundle that with your internet and cable, it doesn't come out that much more expensive than just having the internet and phone.

I do think that cable companies are being stupid and greedy with On Demand programming. Most of the time, they stuff commercials in there and won't let you skip them, which is ridiculous when you could have recorded those same shows on DVR and skipped them! If they keep pulling BS like that, they will drive away even more customers.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, cable companies are still using a 1980s "basic cable" business model, where they pay the channels they carry per subscriber (ranging from a few cents to $5 per channel), and then pass the costs along to the customer in their rates. The problem is that the proliferation of channels, along with the trend of really expensive ones (like the regional sports network) has made cable prices quite high, and people are now rebelling against it.

Now with so many more entertainment options, people are refusing to pay for what they don't watch, and I don't blame them.

Cable needs to adapt quickly, buck the entire system, and change it into a pay-for-what-you-want model, beyond perhaps some very basic packages.

This will cause some basic cable channels to collapse, but so be it. The herd needs to be thinned if cable wants to survive. They also need to lose the ridiculous model of charging every subscriber for regional sports channels, and then paying the teams on those channels ridiculous money for those cable deals (see the Dodgers for a prime example).

This model is not sustainable, and it especially won't be sustainable in 20 years when most of the adults who subscribed to cable in the '80s will be dead, my generation (kind of in the middle regarding feelings about cable) will be the old people, and today's young generation (which will be middle aged) will have no interest in cable.

Load Metric
    what dangiel is trying to say is hell happily say hes paying for nfl network when he only wants to watch old family fued episodes on gameshow network

Load Metric
    its alright bro steve harvey is a delight

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I still like the model of being able to turn on my TV and watch something without hooking up the computer to it. (I actually hate the process I have to use in order to watch regular season Dodgers games, which requires exactly that.)

I still like being able to scroll through a menu of what's on right now and pick something.

I still like being able to see the major network programs on the day they are on, or in the days following, and having the DVR so I can speed through the commercials.

Also, I like having a home phone, and nowadays when you bundle that with your internet and cable, it doesn't come out that much more expensive than just having the internet and phone.

I do think that cable companies are being stupid and greedy with On Demand programming. Most of the time, they stuff commercials in there and won't let you skip them, which is ridiculous when you could have recorded those same shows on DVR and skipped them! If they keep pulling BS like that, they will drive away even more customers.
    I say this politely Druff but it seems like you're not sure what netflix really is maybe because you never looked into having it because you haven't cared to which is fine.

Netflix will never replace cable and isn't designed to. It's a video on demand type of service that cost $9.99 a month and their are several of them out there now but Netflix is still the top one.

You don't have to hook a computer up to watch if you have a blu ray player with wifi that streams which you can get cheap ones for around $40 or so that will do the job. It can also be streamed on phones, ipads, roku, apple tv,etc...

Load Metric
    lol any smart tv has it already on it along with hulu its one of those things you use like a bunch and then dont use for a couple months thats how it works with me

Load Metric
    also new fargo is shaping up to be goat

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I guess it's true that some smart TVs have Netflix already on it, so that does take one level of inconvenience out of it.

However you are still counting on your internet to be reliable enough to stream HD content, and I wonder how often you end up having to wait while it's doing buffering bullshit.

Comments

jacosta24: Druff you sound poor lol

Load Metric

Just invest in an Amazon fireTV stick for Netflix and leave it plugged in. The newest model is voice command:

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-Stick-...azon+firestick

I am on the verge of cancelling my cable (already cancelled satellite at another place), and as soon as ESPN and the NFL etc. jump on the streaming bandwagon, it will for sure be done. More and more people under 35 are going the root of Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, and kids prefer Netflix from everything I've observed over the past few years. It's just a matter of time before everything is on demand or streaming. I don't think traditional cable will survive at all in the long run, neither will DVRs, they're both shitty versions of what is capable now and in the near future with a media center and an internet connection (this is what the entire video game console war has been fought over for the last 10 years). Rural areas will prolong the inevitable, however. The only thing saving their ass at the moment is live sports and the national networks.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Exit through the gift shop is still the best movie on Netflix
    Last edited by jacosta24; 10-13-2015 at 10:24 AM.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I guess it's true that some smart TVs have Netflix already on it, so that does take one level of inconvenience out of it.

However you are still counting on your internet to be reliable enough to stream HD content, and I wonder how often you end up having to wait while it's doing buffering bullshit.
    Yeah, this is still a problem in many places with the atrocious state of internet service in the US. I'm fortunate to have somewhat decent service in my area, so I've never had buffering issues.

Netflix has built enormous cache servers and offered them to ISPs, which to my vague understanding, means ISPs can deliver Netflix content to their customers at fast rates for little to no cost. Netflix offers this free of charge, which many companies have accepted, although Comcast actually demanded payment to start using them.

Somehow Netflix manages to stream SD at a rate of 1Gb per hour and HD at 3Gb per hour. I don't know what they're doing with their codecs. When I encode shit I have to use way higher bitrates, but I'm no expert on doing it optimally.

None of these factors have slowed the demand for Netflix service. It accounts for something like one third of all internet traffic.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Somehow Netflix manages to stream SD at a rate of 1Gb per hour and HD at 3Gb per hour. I don't know what they're doing with their codecs. When I encode shit I have to use way higher bitrates, but I'm no expert on doing it optimally.
    I'm not sure the exact coding they are using but they can probably get 3GB per hour down a bit if they wanted to. A lot of them internet pirates are ripping 720p and 1080 tv/movies at half that size and some even less without any notable difference.

Great encoding compression and programs that do it have come a long way. Their are a lot of shitty encoding programs out there so if one does a horrible job keep trying others.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Maybe this is an age difference thing. There's very little programming currently airing on basic cable that interests me. If by mega-hit shows you mean ones that are pulling in huge ratings, like The Big Bang Theory and The Voice, then Hulu is indeed the way to go. If we're talking about critically acclaimed series, I'm not so sure it's the best.

I guess ads aren't a huge deal if you're used to it, but I have no patience for it anymore after cutting cable years ago and living with AdBlock. There's also a matter of principle. You can't say that Hulu needs to run ads to cover costs when Netflix is outspending them by a factor of 10 on licensing content. It's like $500 million vs. $5 billion per year, and they charge about the same price. Is this an issue of scale or or they just being greedy cunts? Comcast owns NBC (an owner of Hulu), so probably the latter. Either way, huge turnoff.

I can understand preferring Hulu if you need to see the latest cable programming on a week-to-week basis. It has some advantages, but none of them apply to me.
    I actually agree with this post..

I like heroes reborn or the whisperers or the 100 not big hits but hulu simplifies a 60 hour work week..

I always wondered why netflix has great original content and they give second lives and pick up cancelled shows from t.v. and basic cable.. hulu doesnt do any of that. They dont spend money reviving canceled shows with cult fowlowings.

Im sure you! preety much know the type of shows that im intrested in and hulu fills the gap..

I had netfix for a month and just didnt do it for me..but hulu does have to spend a little more..

Comments

jacosta24: ur wrong Hulu picks up faggy shows that got canceled like Mindy's project and selfie haha

herbertstemple:

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    I'm not sure the exact coding they are using but they can probably get 3GB per hour down a bit if they wanted to. A lot of them internet pirates are ripping 720p and 1080 tv/movies at half that size and some even less without any notable difference.

Great encoding compression and programs that do it have come a long way. Their are a lot of shitty encoding programs out there so if one does a horrible job keep trying others.
    I just looked through some movies I have downloaded, and 800kb/s seems to be standard for 720 and 2-3Mb/s for 1080. That's 2.8Gb/hour and 7.2-10.8 Gb/hour respectively.

I am talking about bits rather than bytes though. Maybe that's why it seems high to you? 3 Gigabits = 375 Megabytes

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    To sum it up. If your going to cut cable then hulu is a necessity..

It has many shows from terestrial t.v and basic cable available the next day also the critirian collection and movie choice was ok but got a lot better with aquiring epix movies..

U also have a showtime add on for 9$!!!!! (Nine! :-)

If u have a busy life just go to your que and play the next one in line. Go to selected for u and add a couple more to your favorites which will show up on your que when they come out..

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I just signed up for HULU a couple of days ago, and then I found Homeland and wanted to watch it, but I needed to pay the extra for Showtime. Right now it is all a free trial for a few more days.

Is there any other sites to watch Homeland? I really don't want to pay the $20 or whatever and find that the only thing im really using it for is Homeland

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Not that im aware of at all...

I preety much only watch hulu so its soo worth 8$ and now 9$, for all of showtime.penny dreadful and ray donovan and some really good movies..

Understand your position though, and I really doubt it.. .unless there some bootleg way some of these guys know.. I dont care for that avenue..

Comments

Gordman: ty for the info

Thread Information