Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: The Netflix thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIT this View Post
    BoJack Horseman, the OA, and Peaky Blinders. Thanks for the recommendations. You guys are on top of all the latest shows

Well if you haven't heard, Stranger Things is pretty good.

Load Metric
    The Great Hack

https://www.netflix.com/Title/80117542

https://www.wired.com/story/the-great-hack-documentary/

As a primer on the scandal, which dominated headlines around the world for two years after the election of President Donald Trump, the film is both succinct and thorough.

It begins as news is breaking that Cambridge Analytica unethically scraped data from millions of Facebook users and used it to target vulnerable and impressionable voters in

an effort to elect Trump and pass the Brexit resolution. Then it tracks the fallout. The film is bookended by professor David Carroll's quest to get his own data back from Cambridge

Analytica—a story WIRED told in depth—but focuses mainly on former CA employee Brittany Kaiser and her abrupt and somewhat baffling decision to turn against her employer.

https://decider.com/2019/07/24/the-g...it-or-skip-it/

Our Take: It’s tough to describe in this review the depths to which Cambridge Analytica used the data they mined to create psychological profiles of every US voter, as well as what they were

able to do with it via manipulative videos, social media “fake news” campaigns, and other viral methods. Lots of the “Crooked Hillary” videos distributed throughout the campaign were at least

targeted using CA’s data, if not created by CA outright.

Our Call: STREAM IT. The Great Hack may not give you the satisfaction you might be looking for after how the 2016 election went, but it will likely make you think critically about just what information

you allow online and who you’re giving it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Watched 7 episodes so far of Insatiable. It's actually pretty good, though probably wouldn't be enjoyed by everyone here.

I confess that I mainly watched it because the SJWs were complaining so loudly about the show engaging in body shaming, so of course that made me want to watch it more. Oddly one of the SJW reviews I read of the show complained about the treatment of gay people in the show, but the only gay characters I've seen so far have been two lesbians, and their sexuality has been treated very respectfully.

I also don't believe the show is "fat shaming", but rather seems to be focusing upon the difference in how teenage girls are perceived/treated between being fat and thin.

As usual, SJWs are just full of shit and digging for anything to find offensive.
    Hello Mr Druff.

Got a call from a friend at Netflix with some info about this show.

As I'm sure you know, it got renewed about a year ago, much to the dismay of the people you call SJWs. Many felt that the show sent a wrong message and was degrading to overweight people. Many others simply found the show very campy and didn't like it. The reviews for Season 1 of this show were not very good, though to be fair, I feel some of that was biased due to a hatred of the show's theme.

You are correct that much of the controversy was much ado about nothing. The plotline regarding the main character being overweight, and then getting skinny, was only explored during the early episodes, and then that theme was basically dropped. Additionally, while there were some gay characters in the show, none were portrayed negatively, and in fact this was one of the few shows which dealt with male bisexuality. Most shows write male characters to either be straight or gay. I cannot understand why some in the LGBT community objected to this program.

Many have questioned why the show got renewed at all, if it was such a headache for Netflix and if the reviews were relatively bad. How did this show get renewed, while other beloved shows get the axe? Believe it or not, the ratings were actually decent. They weren't spectacular, but Netflix felt they were good enough to warrant a renewal. My friend at Netflix told me that it's believed that the controversy prior to the show's release was a good thing. It brought people's attention to the show, and it picked up many viewers such as yourself, who would have otherwise ignored it.

I was also told that executives at Netflix were also concerned that cancelling it would send the wrong message. They do not want to establish a pattern where people feel that they can protest controversial programs and get them removed from the service. Thus, there was a feeling amongst some executives that, if the show is to be cancelled, it should happen after two seasons, not one, so as to make sure that it's not perceived that the protesters won. That wasn't the primary reason for renewal, but I was told that this factor gave it a small additional boost. Thus, the protests may have achieved the opposite of their intended effect, keeping Insatiable on the air for one more year.

I was given information that Netflix has not nailed down a solid release date for Insatiable, despite a commitment to release it in 2019. This is one of three shows which will debut in 2019 which does not have a decided upon release date yet, the other two being Hache and little kiddy show Go! Go! Cory Carson. It is not clear why these three shows have not been assigned release dates, and my friend is stumped about it. However, rumors around Netflix is that Insatiable will see season 2 in early November.

Load Metric
    Netflix needs to do better as far as science fiction tv series programming.

Altered Carbon is a great show.
    I really liked the first season.

Lost in Space (remake): The show has potential. The first season had them stuck on a planet. They could've done a lot better.

Another Life : I like the idea but the actual show is crap.

The UFO/aliens look cool and the future fake technology.

But I don't give a shit about the woman astronaut's family, please kill them off.

Load Metric
    Dave Chappelle's new hour on Netflix is remarkable. Every word precisely chosen and perfectly ordered to offend.

Buckle up. Wait a day. Then listen again. Dave has a lot to say.

Wow.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntmissioner View Post
    Dave Chappelle's new hour on Netflix is remarkable. Every word precisely chosen and perfectly ordered to offend.

Wow.
    Someone just texted me that yesterday.

Maybe I'll watch.

The Guardian doesn't agree, though: https://www.theguardian.com/stage/20...is-comic-touch

Load Metric
    There's a single, new, 45 minute episode of Rockos Modern Life on Netflix.

If you watched Rocko growing up you'll appreciate it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    New series The Mind Explained is pretty good. 5 episodes I think.

I'm just starting the Psychedelics episode and will literally be starting psychedelics (micro-dose)
    on Monday as we have a couple of online magic mushroom dispensaries in Canada.

Also, Bill Burr Paper Tiger. Recorded at the Royal Albert Hall in London.
    He started out kinda slow talking about American politics.
    Crowd was luke warm to this imo.

It didn't take long to hit his stride however and had everyone on side
    soon after

Load Metric

Wow.
    This was very good. Equanimity is still my favorite of his though.

Dave really is the best out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by varys View Post

Wow.
    This was very good. Equanimity is still my favorite of his though.

Dave really is the best out there.
    LOL this rotten tomatoes is such a joke, a bunch of politically correct do gooders bowing politically correct pressure. Critics rotten at 33% and Audience at 99%... Haven't seen it yet but herd it is probably his best work.

DAVE CHAPPELLE: STICKS & STONES
    Critics Consensus
    Edgy, but empty, Sticks and Stones won't break any bones, but it won't elicit many laughs, either.
    31%
    TOMATOMETER
    Total Count: 16
    99%
    AUDIENCE SCORE
    User Ratings: 35,748
    MORE INFO
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    "Killing Them Softly" the Dave special in DC from 2000 is still my favorite of his, but Sticks and Stones I feel is objectively "better".

I'm just ignoring critic reviews on about everything anymore, especially if its a woke-millennial reviewer.

It was hilarious a couple weeks ago on the ringer. This uppity woke white girl wrote a scathing review of the special. On Bill Simmons's next podcast, he doesn't directly call out his employee by name, but goes on a 2 minute rant slamming reviewers who are trying to say its not funny. I'm going to assume that writer is not an LA based member of the ringer staff, or else things might have been a bit awkward in the office after that.
    Last edited by gut; 09-16-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    "Killing Them Softly" the Dave special in DC from 2000 is still my favorite of his, but Sticks and Stones I feel is objectively "better".

I'm just ignoring critic reviews on about everything anymore, especially if its a woke-millennial reviewer.

It was hilarious a couple weeks ago on the ringer. This uppity woke white girl wrote a scathing review of the special. On Bill Simmons's next podcast, he doesn't directly call out his employee by name, but goes on a 2 minute rant slamming reviewers who are trying to say its not funny. I'm going to assume that writer is not an LA based member of the ringer staff, or else things might have been a bit awkward in the office after that.
    I think his two previous Netflix shows were much stronger by comparison, but still l enjoyed the most recent one.

I am fully onboard with comics saying whatever they want, but think that the portions people got up in arms about were the weakest of his whole set by far - namely about Michael Jackson's victims and his bit about ''alphabet people".
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Just watched woodstock 3 days that defined a generation was VERY good

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post
    Just watched woodstock 3 days that defined a generation was VERY good
    Just watched Clive Davis: The Soundtrack of Our Lives

Always trying to fill in the gaps about the 60’s & 70’s. Fascinating era. Everyone’s heard about Clive Davis - the powerful music industry guy.

Harvard Lawyer Clive Davis is offered a job at CBS records. Dressed in a tennis sweater Davis went to the Monterey Pop Festival and had an epiphany. Telling that story here, he catches you up in the drama of how he was a geek in a crowd of hippies who saw Janis Joplin perform and was physically moved by her; he felt it in his spine. She was the first artist he ever signed.

Never knew the Joplin/Davis connection. Never knew that she was his start. Firehose of music info. from that point forward.

Loved it.

Limitles would appreciate this especially

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Just finished watching - Inside Bill's Brain: Decoding Bill Gates

Worth it IMO. I've always wondered what makes guys like this tick.

Also, I realize he is a big philanthropist and likes to dig into things and get his hands dirty so to speak, but I had no idea how much his foundation has really played a role in certain topics such as for example, doing whatever possible to wipe out polio.

There are only 3 episodes but I'm hoping there will be more because I feel there are several things they haven't touched on

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I just stopped watching the Bill's Brain show because I'm looking for some levity. I does look good though.

Instead I found Between Two Ferns The Movie with Zach Galifianakis(never came close to spelling that name)

I've only seen bits and pieces of the TV show of the same name. This must be the highlight reel

cause the first 3 minutes are hilarious.

It's like discovering the Eric Andre show after its all donel

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    I just stopped watching the Bill's Brain show because I'm looking for some levity. I does look good though.

Instead I found Between Two Ferns The Movie with Zach Galifianakis(never came close to spelling that name)

I've only seen bits and pieces of the TV show of the same name. This must be the highlight reel

cause the first 3 minutes are hilarious.

It's like discovering the Eric Andre show after its all donel

Confirmed I watched this movie last night . If you are not familiar with the skit watch it before the movie . Decent film.

Load Metric
    'unbelievable' was an uncomfortably engaging examination of the ongoing arms race against serial sex predators against women and the people living up the challenge and the ones who dont, as well as what its like to endure that sort of violation. unreasonably good acting carries it over into the realm of the exceptional.

'top boy' is like the wire with indecipherable accents and absolutely no real instincts on display about what elements of its subjects lives are and are not interesting (a principle strength of the wire). im sure eventually ill give it another try but i tapped out after like 15 minutes.

'criminals: england' is the most disappointing of all my recent netflix adventures simply because it should have been much, much more well executed. the writing is insufferable, huge gaping plot holes are ignored and somehow even embraced to prop up the story lines. plus there is some inane inter-office romance subtext thats supposed to offer some character depth to the people outside the interrogation room and its borderline insulting to suffer through.

'mindhunters' gets a solid B+ and thats no small feat. its shining crown jewel is the portrayal of the serial killers at bar; the actors use actual dialog from FBI interviews, its absolutely mind fucking blowing. would have been an easy A- at least but they tend to stack up on personal drama among the principles and thats not why i bought the ticket.

as you can see from my viewing choices im suffering from gomorrah withdrawal.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    'unbelievable' was an uncomfortably engaging examination of the ongoing arms race against serial sex predators against women and the people living up the challenge and the ones who dont, as well as what its like to endure that sort of violation. unreasonably good acting carries it over into the realm of the exceptional.

'top boy' is like the wire with indecipherable accents and absolutely no real instincts on display about what elements of its subjects lives are and are not interesting (a principle strength of the wire). im sure eventually ill give it another try but i tapped out after like 15 minutes.

'criminals: england' is the most disappointing of all my recent netflix adventures simply because it should have been much, much more well executed. the writing is insufferable, huge gaping plot holes are ignored and somehow even embraced to prop up the story lines. plus there is some inane inter-office romance subtext thats supposed to offer some character depth to the people outside the interrogation room and its borderline insulting to suffer through.

'mindhunters' gets a solid B+ and thats no small feat. its shining crown jewel is the portrayal of the serial killers at bar; the actors use actual dialog from FBI interviews, its absolutely mind fucking blowing. would have been an easy A- at least but they tend to stack up on personal drama among the principles and thats not why i bought the ticket.

as you can see from my viewing choices im suffering from gomorrah withdrawal.
    Top Boy was pretty weak. Out of the current shows only thing i'm watching is the Wu-Tang: An American Saga. It's not great, but i feel committed. Out of the casting choices only one i don't dislike is ODB. Godfather of Harlem and some other shows start in the coming days. Doubt they can all suck.

Load Metric

Thread Information