Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introducting Max Martin - The Reason Why Music All Sounds The Same & Has Sucked Ass For 20 Years

Load Metric

Introducting Max Martin - The Reason Why Music All Sounds The Same & Has Sucked Ass For 20 Years

Name:  Max_Martin.jpg
Views: 2533
Size:  359.0 KB

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Martin

Martin Karl Sandberg (born February 26, 1971), known professionally as Max Martin, is a Swedish music producer and songwriter. He rose to prominence in the mid-1990s after making a string of major hits for artists such as the Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears and 'N Sync. Some of his earlier hits include "I Want It That Way", "...Baby One More Time" and "It's My Life".

His trademark during the second half of the 1990s and the early 2000s was a danceable, keyboard-laden pop sound that blended music styles such as funk and Europop. However, with Kelly Clarkson's songs "Since U Been Gone" and "Behind These Hazel Eyes", Martin stepped back into the spotlight after reinventing himself with a heavier, rock-tinged sound.
    Since 1999, Martin has written and co-written 21 Billboard Hot 100 number-one hits (most of which he has also produced or co-produced) in the United States, including "So What" by Pink, "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry, "Hold It Against Me" by Britney Spears, "Shake It Off" by Taylor Swift, and "One More Night" by Maroon 5. Martin is the songwriter with the third most number one singles on the chart, behind only Paul McCartney (32) and John Lennon (26).[1]
    In 2015 Martin won the ASCAP Songwriter of the Year award for the fifth consecutive year and for the eighth time in his career tying him with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis as the top recipient of the award.[2]
    As of February 2015 Martin has had a total of 54 songs reach the top ten charts placing him above Madonna's 38, Elvis Presley's 36 and the Beatles' 34.[3]
    In 2014 Martin broke ahead of Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis and Dr. Luke to take the second-place position on the list of most number one hits for a producer behind only George Martin who has 23.[1]
    In early 2013 his single sales were tallied by The Hollywood Reporter to be at over 135 million.[3]
    Katy Perry

Max Martin is also responsible for some of the songs of Katy Perry on three albums. On One of the Boys including the number-one single "I Kissed a Girl", and Top 5 hit single "Hot n Cold", and following-up album Teenage Dream, including the Billboard Hot 100 numbers-ones hits singles "California Gurls", "Teenage Dream", "E.T.", "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" and the Hot 100 top ten hit "The One That Got Away". Martin also co-wrote the songs "Part of Me" and "Wide Awake", the former of which topped the Billboard Hot 100. For her album Prism, he co-wrote the No. 1 singles "Roar" and "Dark Horse"
    Taylor Swift

Martin produced and co-wrote the Billboard Hot 100 number 1 hit "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together", on Taylor Swift's 2012 album Red, which became her first number-one single in the US. Upon its release, the song reached the top position on the iTunes singles chart in 50 minutes, hence breaking the previous record held by Lady Gaga's song "Born This Way" with a record of an hour, making "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" the fastest selling single in digital history at that time. Swift's "We Are Never Getting Back Together" set the record for the biggest digital sales week (623,000) ever for a song by a female artist, surpassing the record held by Kesha's "Tik Tok". It also reached the top of the iTunes single chart in 32 countries. He also co-wrote and produced two other singles on the album "I Knew You Were Trouble" which peaked at number 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 and "22" which was a moderate success.
    Martin produced and co-wrote the latest three singles on Swift's album 1989, "Shake It Off", "Blank Space" and "Style" which were released on 18 August 2014, 10 November 2014 and 9 February 2015 respectively. "Shake It Off" and "Blank Space" hit number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, with the former debuting at the top spot; "Style" peaked at number 6.[16] Martin was both a co-writer and co-producer for Swift's "Bad Blood" which in a remixed form reached number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 the week dated June 6, 2015.[17] Martin also contributed to multiple other songs off of Swift's latest album, 1989, released 27 October 2014.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Billboard Hot 100 number one singles

Since 1999, Max Martin has written and co-written 21 Billboard Hot 100 number-one hits (most of which he has also produced or co-produced).[1] Martin is the songwriter with third most number one singles on the chart, behind only Paul McCartney (32) and John Lennon (26). As a producer he holds the record for second-most number one singles on the chart with 21 behind only George Martin (23).[1]

1. 1999 – "...Baby One More Time" (Britney Spears)
    2. 2000 – "It's Gonna Be Me" ('N Sync)
    3. 2008 – "I Kissed a Girl" (Katy Perry)
    4. 2008 – "So What" (P!nk)
    5. 2009 – "My Life Would Suck Without You" (Kelly Clarkson)
    6. 2009 – "3" (Britney Spears)
    7. 2010 – "California Gurls" (Katy Perry featuring Snoop Dogg)
    8. 2010 – "Teenage Dream" (Katy Perry)
    9. 2010 – "Raise Your Glass" (P!nk)
    10. 2011 – "Hold It Against Me" (Britney Spears)
    11. 2011 – "E.T." (Katy Perry featuring Kanye West)
    12. 2011 – "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" (Katy Perry)
    13. 2012 – "Part of Me" (Katy Perry)
    14. 2012 – "One More Night" (Maroon 5)
    15. 2012 – "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" (Taylor Swift)
    16. 2013 – "Roar" (Katy Perry)
    17. 2014 – "Dark Horse" (Katy Perry featuring Juicy J)
    18. 2014 – "Shake it Off" (Taylor Swift)
    19. 2014 – "Blank Space" (Taylor Swift)
    20. 2015 – "Bad Blood" (Taylor Swift)
    21. 2015 – "Can't Feel My Face" (The Weeknd)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hit Charade

Meet the bald Norwegians and other unknowns who actually create the songs that top the charts.

The biggest pop star in America today is a man named Karl Martin Sandberg. The lead singer of an obscure ’80s glam-metal band, Sandberg grew up in a remote suburb of Stockholm and is now 44. Sandberg is the George Lucas, the LeBron James, the Serena Williams of American pop. He is responsible for more hits than Phil Spector, Michael Jackson, or the Beatles.

After Sandberg come the bald Norwegians, Mikkel Eriksen and Tor Hermansen, 43 and 44; Lukasz Gottwald, 42, a Sandberg protégé and collaborator who spent a decade languishing in Saturday Night Live’s house band; and another Sandberg collaborator named Esther Dean, 33, a former nurse’s aide from Oklahoma who was discovered in the audience of a Gap Band concert, singing along to “Oops Upside Your Head.” They use pseudonyms professionally, but most Americans wouldn’t recognize those, either: Max Martin, Stargate, Dr. Luke, and Ester Dean.

Most Americans will recognize their songs, however. As I write this, at the height of summer, the No. 1 position on the Billboard pop chart is occupied by a Max Martin creation, “Bad Blood” (performed by Taylor Swift featuring Kendrick Lamar). No. 3, “Hey Mama” (David Guetta featuring Nicki Minaj), is an Ester Dean production; No. 5, “Worth It” (Fifth Harmony featuring Kid Ink), was written by Stargate; No. 7, “Can’t Feel My Face” (The Weeknd), is Martin again; No. 16, “The Night Is Still Young” (Minaj), is Dr. Luke and Ester Dean. And so on. If you flip on the radio, odds are that you will hear one of their songs. If you are reading this in an airport, a mall, a doctor’s office, or a hotel lobby, you are likely listening to one of their songs right now. This is not an aberration. The same would have been true at any time in the past decade. Before writing most of Taylor Swift’s newest album, Max Martin wrote No. 1 hits for Britney Spears, ’NSync, Pink, Kelly Clarkson, Maroon 5, and Katy Perry.

Millions of Swifties and KatyCats—as well as Beliebers, Barbz, and Selenators, and the Rihanna Navy—would be stunned by the revelation that a handful of people, a crazily high percentage of them middle-aged Scandinavian men, write most of America’s pop hits. It is an open yet closely guarded secret, protected jealously by the labels and the performers themselves, whose identities are as carefully constructed as their songs and dances. The illusion of creative control is maintained by the fig leaf of a songwriting credit. The performer’s name will often appear in the list of songwriters, even if his or her contribution is negligible. (There’s a saying for this in the music industry: “Change a word, get a third.”) But almost no pop celebrities write their own hits. Too much is on the line for that, and being a global celebrity is a full-time job. It would be like Will Smith writing the next Independence Day.
    Impressionable young fans would therefore do well to avoid John Seabrook’s The Song Machine, an immersive, reflective, and utterly satisfying examination of the business of popular music. It is a business as old as Stephen Foster, but never before has it been run so efficiently or dominated by so few. We have come to expect this type of consolidation from our banking, oil-and-gas, and health-care industries. But the same practices they rely on—ruthless digitization, outsourcing, focus-group brand testing, brute-force marketing—have been applied with tremendous success in pop, creating such profitable multinationals as Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Taylor Swift.

The music has evolved in step with these changes. A short-attention-span culture demands short-attention-span songs. The writers of Tin Pan Alley and Motown had to write only one killer hook to get a hit. Now you need a new high every seven seconds—the average length of time a listener will give a radio station before changing the channel. “It’s not enough to have one hook anymore,” Jay Brown, a co-founder of Jay Z’s Roc Nation label, tells Seabrook. “You’ve got to have a hook in the intro, a hook in the pre, a hook in the chorus, and a hook in the bridge, too.”
    Sonically, the template has remained remarkably consistent since the Backstreet Boys, whose sound was created by Max Martin and his mentor, Denniz PoP, at PoP’s Cheiron Studios, in Stockholm. It was at Cheiron in the late ’90s that they developed the modern hit formula, a formula nearly as valuable as Coca-Cola’s. But it’s not a secret formula. Seabrook describes the pop sound this way: “ABBA’s pop chords and textures, Denniz PoP’s song structure and dynamics, ’80s arena rock’s big choruses, and early ’90s American R&B grooves.” The production quality is crucial, too. The music is manufactured to fill not headphones and home stereo systems but malls and football stadiums. It is a synthetic, mechanical sound “more captivating than the virtuosity of the musicians.” This is a metaphor, of course—there are no musicians anymore, at least not human ones. Every instrument is automated. Session musicians have gone extinct, and studio mixing boards remain only as retro, semi-ironic furniture.

The songs are written industrially as well, often by committee and in bulk. Anything short of a likely hit is discarded. The constant iteration of tracks, all produced by the same formula, can result in accidental imitation—or, depending on the jury, purposeful replication. Seabrook recounts an early collaboration between Max Martin and Dr. Luke. They are listening, reportedly, to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs’ “Maps”—an infectious love song, at least by indie-rock standards. Martin is being driven crazy by the song’s chorus, however, which drops in intensity from the verse. Dr. Luke says, “Why don’t we do that, but put a big chorus on it?” He reworks a guitar riff from the song and creates Kelly Clarkson’s breakout hit, “Since U Been Gone.”

Way more: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...harade/403192/

How Ariana Grande and Max Martin Made 'Problem' the Song of the Summer

"Acting is fun," says Grande. "But music has always been first and foremost with me."

Comments

Sanlmar: Excellent stuff. ABBA for Gen Y & Z

JohnCommode: Fascinating. Nice job.

anonamoose: was i suppose to be surprised?
    Last edited by 4Dragons; 09-18-2015 at 07:20 AM.

Load Metric
    Bravo, good sir! I wholeheartedly agree. It saddens me that Max Martin has been allowed to create all the music for two decades. And by "all music" I mean top 40 pop. I yearn for the 1980s, when truly sophisticated artists like Milli Vanili, New Kids on the Block and Vanilla Ice flourished.

I invite you visit /r/lewronggeneration where discerning gentlemen of taste (like ourselves) mourn today's sorry state of affairs.

*tips fedora*

Comments

4Dragons: This guy fucks.

JohnCommode: Of Monsters and Men guy or just some fat guy?

Baron Von Strucker: Bad fedora wearin mother fucker, post mor

Load Metric
    i want it that way will forever be fire

Load Metric
    Listened to most of these songs, parts of them anyway. This shit is just horrible. Some of them had 100's of millions views.

Dude has figured out what 14 year old girls like to listen to.

Pure shit.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    Listened to most of these songs, parts of them anyway. This shit is just horrible. Some of them had 100's of millions views.

Dude has figured out what 14 year old girls like to listen to.

Pure shit.

The thing that gets me the most is that when you hear about Taylor Swift writing all of her own material and it ends up she changed 3 fucking words and gets a songwriting credit. I want to believe there is one Joni Mitchell left out there, just one Carly Simon, but it's all a lie.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    The thing that gets me the most is that when you hear about Taylor Swift writing all of her own material and it ends up she changed 3 fucking words and gets a songwriting credit.
    This was largely true early in her career. Max Martin didn't begin working with her until 2012.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_Taylor_Swift

If Stew didn't get the point across, you guys sound a lot like some of the pretentious metalheads and hipsters I went to school with.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    The thing that gets me the most is that when you hear about Taylor Swift writing all of her own material and it ends up she changed 3 fucking words and gets a songwriting credit.
    This was largely true early in her career. Max Martin didn't begin working with her until 2012.

If Stew didn't get the point across, you guys sound a lot like some of the pretentious metalheads and hipsters I went to school with.
    I just miss some honest rock and roll. It comes from that. Any of it that could have existed has been drown out and exiled. Which reminds me I have the new Slayer album that I need to wall to wall.

Load Metric

I just miss some honest rock and roll. It comes from that. Any of it that could have existed has been drown out and exiled. Which reminds me I have the new Slayer album that I need to wall to wall.
    What happened to the days when bands had two songwriters who hated each other's guts.

Load Metric

Are yyyyyyou sayyyyyyyyyying you like this music SS?

This shit is for children. Female children at that. What's pretentious about calling a spade a spade? If it was any count then I would see your point but there is nothing here.

This stuff is watered down white jungle music.

Banned
    Load Metric

This shit is for children. Female children at that. What's pretentious about calling a spade a spade? If it was any count then I would see your point but there is nothing here.

Most people accept that low-brow entertainment like reality TV, pop music, comic book movies, etc. appeal to the masses. They either partake in some of it as a guilty pleasure or ignore it. To say that it sucks is pretty much stating the obvious. Grandstanding about it is pretentious because it only serves to imply how much cooler and refined your tastes are.

To say that Max Martin or the plebeian public ruined music is ignorant too. We live in the digital age, guys. If you want more death metal or bluegrass or whatever, there's plenty of it out there for you. You're just not going to find it on Vevo or FM radio.

Comments

Krypt: fuck you basically

Hockey Guy: offset rep

Load Metric

Most people accept that low-brow entertainment like reality TV, pop music, comic book movies, etc. appeal to the masses. They either partake in some of it as a guilty pleasure or ignore it. To say that it sucks is pretty much stating the obvious. Grandstanding about it is pretentious because it only serves to imply how much cooler and refined your tastes are.

To say that Max Martin or the plebeian public ruined music is ignorant too. We live in the digital age, guys. If you want more death metal or bluegrass or whatever, there's plenty of it out there for you. You're just not going to find it on Vevo or FM radio.

Excusing horrible and calling those who do so as ignorant is as simplistic as the music makes its listeners. This garbage turns the populace into myopic robots that are programmed to consume at the corporate trough. You surely can't be ok with that, unless you are on the receiving end of it?

Comments

Krypt: he's a hick with no class

Banned
    Load Metric
    Excusing horrible and calling those who do so as ignorant is as simplistic as the music makes its listeners. This garbage turns the populace into myopic robots that are programmed to consume at the corporate trough. You surely can't be ok with that, unless you are on the receiving end of it?
    I'm okay with people consuming whatever sort of entertainment they like. Some days I'm in the mood for a mystery or drama with a complex plot to analyze. Other days I'd rather relax and watch a dumb action flick. This applies to all mediums. I don't see how this makes me a brainwashed simpleton, but maybe you or RegGaymer could explain it to me very slowly.

Comments

Krypt: :noose

Hockey Guy: offset rep

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    MAX MARTIN IS GOD

Comments

SrslySirius: MY MAN

4Dragons: i'm frankly jealous

ThreeBet: Sad that it took 13 posts to point out the obvious

Baron Von Strucker: Guy still has his balls

Load Metric

Stfu you pussy ass faggot.

Comments

Hockey Guy: For trying to derail an intelligent conversation from happening.

Baron Von Strucker: Noose

Load Metric
    I'm okay with people consuming whatever sort of entertainment they like. Some days I'm in the mood for a mystery or drama with a complex plot to analyze. Other days I'd rather relax and watch a dumb action flick. This applies to all mediums. I don't see how this makes me a brainwashed simpleton, but maybe you or RegGaymer could explain it to me very slowly.

I speak of corporatism and you speak of taste. I see the disconnect and acknowledge it. What this asshole makes for music has nothing to do with taste, but the dumbing down of society as a whole that none of the people that consume his product know that he is responsible for literally the GM, Ford and Chrysler of music. It really is more about the lie, which is why I made the thread. Not about particular taste. I honestly don't think that your tastes are much different than mine and it's not a personal attack, though you seem to take it as one. I blare 'Bang Bang' whenever I hear it, but some folk, that is all they will listen to.

Comments

Krypt: can't believe im greening this mong

Load Metric
    I can't help but think that the number of groups and individual performers making interesting and somewhat challenging nonclassical music, and making an actual full time living at it, would be much greater if generations of young people hadn't been bombarded with formula music that has deadened their tastes and removed them from the receptive audience pool. Unfortunately, the future will be more Taylor Swifts and less Wye Oaks, Punch Brothers, Braids, Daughters, and San Fermins. Good music is not made for hipsters or metalheads, just for people who like original good music. Incidentally, I think that Taylor Swift would surprise herself if she challenged herself more. Her cover of Riptide on the BBC is kind of interesting in its simplicity. Maybe she is musically rehabable.

Load Metric
    I don't want to get too deep in this, but nothing about Taylor Swift is "rehabable". When you peel back the layers off her superficial and pandering frankenstein personality, there's just nothing there.

Comments

JohnCommode: Hence, my use of the word "maybe". Give the girl some chance to redeem herself, however unlikely.

Load Metric
    Cunts got a lot to answer for. Listening to the charts on a Sunday was always a must. Would never pollute my ears with the shite it serves up these days though.

Told my 14yo niece that One Direction were just a thrown together, cash cow band that don't write their own music and are a general insult to the older generation of music lovers.

This was over the christmas period after a few drinks. But she's still not talking to me.

Kids don't know just how bad they've got it.
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Banned
    Load Metric
    My music taste has changed drastically since my teenage years as I'm sure most of yours has. One thing I really didn't see coming at least back in the day was listening to more pop music. Just a hunch but I'm guessing due to laziness / work etc I've just sort of slid in to it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    Cunts got a lot to answer for. Listening to the charts on a Sunday was always a must. Would never pollute my ears with the shite it serves up these days though.

Told my 14yo niece that One Direction were just a thrown together, cash cow band that don't write their own music and are a general insult to the older generation of music lovers.

This was over the christmas period after a few drinks. But she's still not talking to me.

Kids don't know just how bad they've got it.

Does she refer to you as her "Creepy Uncle"?

Thread Information