Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 64-year-old makes a poker rap

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

64-year-old makes a poker rap

I played with this guy over 5 years ago at the $5k NL tournament at Harrah's Rincon. He finished 12th and cashed for $13k.

That tournament was memorable for me for various reasons:

- They paid 18 spots. With about 22 people left, and holding an average stack, I had 98dd and flopped a flush. I was up against Gavin Smith (who I had covered) and Shane Schleger (who had me covered). They checked to me on the flop (I was on the button), I bet, both called. Turn could have made them a straight, but couldn't have worsened my hand. They checked again, I went all-in, both snap-called. Gavin turned over ATdd and Shane turned over Q4dd. It was flush-over-flush-over-flush on the flop, and I busted. It was the only time in my life that this happened, which is still true today.

- Earlier in the tournament, I open-shoved all-in with a short stack holding A7o. Annie Duke called me with AQo. I spiked a 7 on the flop to double up. Super standard hand, but Annie actually berated me for it, and this was BEFORE any of the AP/UB scandal stuff, so she had no reason to otherwise dislike me. She had no clue who I was, and was just being her usual bitchy self.

- Pokerlistings, then in its early days, had various reporters who were big fans (but mostly lurkers) of NWP. As a result, I got covered way more than I deserved. Despite many big names being in the field, and despite the fact that I didn't even cash, I received the most coverage of anyone in the tournament.

- The first table I was sat at was done by sequential order of the registrations near the tournament start. So anyone who registered 10 or fewer minutes beforehand (like I did), all ended up at the same table. Well played, Harrah's. I ended up at a super-tough table, but fortunately it broke within about 2 hours.

- Chantel McNulty, with whom I had just had a falling out weeks before, was sat next to me at the second table. On the other side of Chantel was James van Alstyne, who was said to have put her into the tournament. Pokerlistings referred to this as the "uncomfortable table assignment of the day".

- Harrah's fucked up again and didn't reserve enough space for the poker players, so there was no room at their hotel. I had to go like 15-20 miles down the highway and stay at Pala for the night.

Anyway, I remembered this Tim Anders guy because he was like 60 years old with long white hair, and didn't exactly look like your typical tournament poker guy.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Any serious poker player will tell you that getting useful poker tips is ALWAYS sought after and important. Most times, it’s a poker players poker education that determine a win or a lose. Being entertained with side-splitting humor makes his tips easy to remember. Tim “Dr Hope” Anders does all that and more in his latest new hilarious “Crazy Poker Hip Hop video.”

“Loving Jazz as much as I do, I just couldn’t resist putting in a few Jazz licks,” said Dr Hope. “I hope that music lovers as well as poker players will enjoy watching it as much as I enjoyed making it!”

The whole point in making this video was to share a valuable poker attitude, have a great time and encourage viewers to buy his inspirational books. Tim “Dr. Hope” Anders is an award-winning children’s book author, musician and part-time professional poker player. His children’s storybooks teach kids the power of believing in themselves, the joy in helping others, the love of laughter, to always try their best and the benefits of living in the present moment. All of these traits are evident in his video. You can read several of his storybooks for free online at: http://www.LaughingDay.com

The humor and optimism that is evident in the video he learned from his mother, a Broadway actress. He writes her story in the critically acclaimed true life love story of his parents: Everybody Calls My Father, Father. In it he reveals that his father was a Catholic priest. He exposes to the world the injustices and sometimes reprehensible acts of the Catholic church to which his mother fell victim. Dr. Hope’s father never left the priesthood but instead hid for years his steamy romance and covert living arrangements from the suspicious eyes of the church. After spawning two children the deception become increasingly difficult to conceal.

“It was my mother’s dream to share her life story with the world but was afraid of the repercussions that it might have on her children, she already had had a taste of the retaliation that came from the Catholic church. Now that she has passed away and with all the latest revelations exposing the sins of the Catholic church, I was compelled to tell her story,” said Dr Hope. The book explodes with the raw emotion that only true love for one’s soul mate can express. Excerpts of the book can be read at: http://www.EverybodyCallsMyFatherFather.com

Load Metric
    I think he was at a WPT final table a few years ago.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I got to about the 32 sec mark.
    Of all the money e'er I had, I spent it in good company

Load Metric
    Name:  516TS8NJ2FL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  22.7 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

- They paid 18 spots. With about 22 people left, and holding an average stack, I had 98dd and flopped a flush. I was up against Gavin Smith (who I had covered) and Shane Schleger (who had me covered). They checked to me on the flop (I was on the button), I bet, both called. Turn could have made them a straight, but couldn't have worsened my hand. They checked again, I went all-in, both snap-called. Gavin turned over ATdd and Shane turned over Q4dd. It was flush-over-flush-over-flush on the flop, and I busted. It was the only time in my life that this happened, which is still true today.

- Earlier in the tournament, I open-shoved all-in with a short stack holding A7o. Annie Duke called me with AQo. I spiked a 7 on the flop to double up. Super standard hand, but Annie actually berated me for it, and this was BEFORE any of the AP/UB scandal stuff, so she had no reason to otherwise dislike me. She had no clue who I was, and was just being her usual bitchy self.
    1. Not trying to get into a hand discussion but if you shove the turn and gavin snap calls shouldn't shane fold the queen high flush here relatively easily?

2. Annie has been known to do this for years, I used to be a member on FCP and used to get a lot of lulz reading negreanus comments on her.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTemplar View Post
    That was horrible. I went to 1:04 just to say I'm a beast. I couldn't take anymore at that point.

Load Metric
    15 seconds.

Load Metric

I played with this guy over 5 years ago at the $5k NL tournament at Harrah's Rincon. He finished 12th and cashed for $13k.

That tournament was memorable for me for various reasons:

- Pokerlistings, then in its early days, had various reporters who were big fans (but mostly lurkers) of NWP. As a result, I got covered way more than I deserved. Despite many big names being in the field, and despite the fact that I didn't even cash, I received the most coverage of anyone in the tournament.

- The first table I was sat at was done by sequential order of the registrations near the tournament start. So anyone who registered 10 or fewer minutes beforehand (like I did), all ended up at the same table. Well played, Harrah's. I ended up at a super-tough table, but fortunately it broke within about 2 hours.

- Chantel McNulty, with whom I had just had a falling out weeks before, was sat next to me at the second table. On the other side of Chantel was James van Alstyne, who was said to have put her into the tournament. Pokerlistings referred to this as the "uncomfortable table assignment of the day".

- Harrah's fucked up again and didn't reserve enough space for the poker players, so there was no room at their hotel. I had to go like 15-20 miles down the highway and stay at Pala for the night.

Anyway, I remembered this Tim Anders guy because he was like 60 years old with long white hair, and didn't exactly look like your typical tournament poker guy.
    Wait a minute. Isn't he the same guy who sits next to Jack Nicholson at all the Laker games?
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardBrodiesCombover. View Post
    Name:  schaeffer.jpeg
Views: 431
Size:  23.1 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post

Wait a minute. Isn't he the same guy who sits next to Jack Nicholson at all the Laker games?
    no that is this guy, lou adler

Name:  Celebrities+Attend+NBA+Finals+Game+2+Orlando+9He0EeTJCwzl.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  66.7 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    15 seconds.
    A respectable try none the less.
    Of all the money e'er I had, I spent it in good company

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTemplar View Post
    :23 for me.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    One other LOL moment from that same tournament:

I was sitting next to Allen Kessler, whom I had never met before. He was to my direct right in the BB. I was UTG.

I opened with 99, and a very aggro Asian kid with a lot of chips re-raised me to something fairly large.

Came to Kessler in the BB, who was short-stacked, and he sat there awhile thinking. Finally he announced he was all-in, but seemed clearly unhappy about it.

I dumped my hand. The Asian kid called.

Before turning over his hand, Kessler said out loud, "I know you have me beat, but I just couldn't fold this", and tabled KK!

The Asian kid turned over some shit like QT.

Kessler's KK held, and he more than doubled up.

I asked him, "You were joking, right?"

He replied very matter-of-factly, "No, I really thought he had aces."

I asked how he could have thought that, and he said, "Well, you raised from under the gun and he 3-bet you so many chips, I really thought that was what he had."

I told him that I would have been thrilled to find myself with KK while short stacked in that spot, not just begrudgingly shoving. He didn't agree.

It was from that moment on that I knew to always respect Allen Kessler's raises.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by John Stamos View Post

1. Not trying to get into a hand discussion but if you shove the turn and gavin snap calls shouldn't shane fold the queen high flush here relatively easily?

2. Annie has been known to do this for years, I used to be a member on FCP and used to get a lot of lulz reading negreanus comments on her.
    Gavin had a pretty short stack, and would be shoving there with a straight, two pair, or even maybe the ace-high flush draw.

Shane had no reason to believe that I could beat the Q-high flush.

I don't blame him or Gavin for playing the way they did, other than Shane's odd late-position preflop open limp with Q4 suited. (I also limped with my 98dd, Gavin completed from the SB, the BB checked and then folded to my flop bet.)

Oh, and separately, Annie was a cunt to me at a WSOP tournament (also before the AP scandal), complaining that I was throwing my cards too high while I was folding, but did so in a really bitchy way. She said something like, "Hey... you over there. Yeah, you, seat 2. I don't know who you are, but the way you're folding is letting people see your cards, so if you could stop doing that, that would be great."

She is so awful in every way.

Load Metric
    how did you handle Annie back then when she was giving the attitude? Did you just ignore her or fire back verbally?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by John Stamos View Post

Gavin had a pretty short stack, and would be shoving there with a straight, two pair, or even maybe the ace-high flush draw.

Shane had no reason to believe that I could beat the Q-high flush.

I don't blame him or Gavin for playing the way they did, other than Shane's odd late-position preflop open limp with Q4 suited. (I also limped with my 98dd, Gavin completed from the SB, the BB checked and then folded to my flop bet.)

Oh, and separately, Annie was a cunt to me at a WSOP tournament (also before the AP scandal), complaining that I was throwing my cards too high while I was folding, but did so in a really bitchy way. She said something like, "Hey... you over there. Yeah, you, seat 2. I don't know who you are, but the way you're folding is letting people see your cards, so if you could stop doing that, that would be great."

She is so awful in every way.
    Yea the only thing I could see was that stack sizes dictated the call

Annie sounds like she likes to be the table captain. Saying "I don't know who you are" is such a demeaning and smug statement. I wonder why she feels the need to show her dominance over other people?

I have told people they are flashing cards before but it's almost 99% of the time when they are sitting next to me and holding their cards in a way where I can see them. I tell them once so they understand and if they keep doing it there is nothing I can do but try and not look. I told this old man 3 times in the span of an hour that I could see his cards when he held them up and he kept saying "sorry" and that's it. I actually lost money because I was so focused on what he had.

Thread Information