Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The gout sucks time to get healthy

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric

The gout sucks time to get healthy

Today is day 8 of The Gout. It was pure hell and I'm still not 100%. Whoever said 8-10 days was on the money.

This little health scare has made me think of my future. Okay really my wife nagging the shit out of me has. She wants me to be more healthy so she doesn't have to take care of my ass in our old age.

Here are my recent changes in the last week:

- no soda or sugar drinks. Have stuck to water. In a week I have had 1 coffee and 2 non sweet teas
    - no fast food
    - have not smoked in 8 days
    - no booze (have had 1 glass of wine at a nice dinner)
    - no red meat. have had vegetables and chicken breasts
    - no shellfish (had a soft shelled crab with my glass of wine)

My goal is to lose 40 pounds. What actions do you think I should take? What is a reasonable time frame?

Anyone want a friendly wager on weight loss or not smoking? Obviously it's all trust here so it would be for very very little money or maybe an embarrassment wager.

Druff, I know you wanted to lose a little weight. Friendly wager on our word.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Did you go all natural or did u get a prescription?

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookygook View Post
    Did you go all natural or did u get a prescription?
    Natural. Changed the diet and drank lots of water.

Gold
    Load Metric
    If you went to the doctor you would have gotten rid of it by now. It was too late to go natural, since you prob didn't realize what was going on until your foot was an inflamed mess. Get some pills for emergency situations like vacations and shit.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodpoop View Post
    Today is day 8 of The Gout. It was pure hell and I'm still not 100%. Whoever said 8-10 days was on the money.

This little health scare has made me think of my future. Okay really my wife nagging the shit out of me has. She wants me to be more healthy so she doesn't have to take care of my ass in our old age.

- no soda or sugar drinks. Have stuck to water. In a week I have had 1 coffee and 2 non sweet teas
    - no fast food

My goal is to lose 40 pounds. What actions do you think I should take? What is a reasonable time frame?

Anyone want a friendly wager on weight loss or not smoking? Obviously it's all trust here so it would be for very very little money or maybe an embarrassment wager.

2lbs a week

That's basically a net calorie deficit of 7,000 calories a week or 1,000 calories a day.

So to give you some kind of idea

I am 6'2" 229lbs - Calories calculator says I burn about 2900 calories a day.

So if I wanted to lose 2lbs, if I ate 1900 calories a day I would lose two pounds.

Then my body has adjusted and is actually burning less calories so you you need to trend down your calorie count or exercise.

Honestly no booze, no soda, no fast food and 2 good walks a day you could probably drop the first 25lbs easily.

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post

- no fast food

2lbs a week

That's basically a net calorie deficit of 7,000 calories a week or 1,000 calories a day.

So if I wanted to lose 2lbs, if I ate 1900 calories a day I would lose two pounds.

Then my body has adjusted and is actually burning less calories so you you need to trend down your calorie count or exercise.

Honestly no booze, no soda, no fast food and 2 good walks a day you could probably drop the first 25lbs easily.
    Hopefully by the end of the week I'm going to start walking. I'm thinking 40 minutes in the morning and same in evening. Also, sticking with the same diet restrictions. I'd love to lose 10lbs a month.

Load Metric
    Good luck with your change of lifestyle man!
    BALLIN'!!

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post

2lbs a week

Hopefully by the end of the week I'm going to start walking. I'm thinking 40 minutes in the morning and same in evening. Also, sticking with the same diet restrictions. I'd love to lose 10lbs a month.
    I was drinking about a gallon of coke every day, quit the soda and lost 16 pounds in 4 weeks, obv not all fat but still it doesnt take much to loose alot of weight, I was almost 240 when i quit
    Slava Ukraini!

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantium View Post

I was drinking about a gallon of coke every day, quit the soda and lost 16 pounds in 4 weeks, obv not all fat but still it doesnt take much to loose alot of weight, I was almost 240 when i quit
    Damn! I actually don't drink a huge amount of soda but I do drink a lot of beer. On a good week I would go out 3 or 4 times and drink an easy 10-12 beers or 5-6 double vodkas. Along with that was probably a pack of smokes. These last 8 days have been great except for the agonizing pain in my toe.

Load Metric
    I have been replacing one meal a day with this and seen great results.

I think just doing this with the two walks a day and you will shed the pounds super quickly.
    :freelewfather

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post

I think just doing this with the two walks a day and you will shed the pounds super quickly.
    Damn it. I got a juicer now I have to buy the vitamix. Funny my wife has been wanting one so I guess its a good excuse. Do you make it everyday or keep some in the frig for a couple days?

Load Metric
    The drinking water part is the best change you can make. Get those toxins out of your body. Other things will fall into place. Throw a little raw garlic into one of those meals daily. Say bye bye to getting sick ever again.

GL with the diet.

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    The drinking water part is the best change you can make. Get those toxins out of your body. Other things will fall into place. Throw a little raw garlic into one of those meals daily. Say bye bye to getting sick ever again.

GL with the diet.
    I just watched a health show about raw garlic. If I can stick to no smoking I think I can win.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post

Damn it. I got a juicer now I have to buy the vitamix. Funny my wife has been wanting one so I guess its a good excuse. Do you make it everyday or keep some in the frig for a couple days?

The problem with juicers is that you dont get any of the fiber which is incredibly important to health. I make the recipe in that video every other day (so I have two servings from it). I usually do it for lunch, as I can stomach those ingredients for breakfast. It doesnt taste bad it is just something about vegetables in the morning that doesnt work for me.

The vitamix is expensive, but in my opinion, it is the best thing I have ever bought to improve my health. I have had mine for 6 years with zero issues and I still amazed at how well it works.

You can keep a serving in fridge for a day, np. I wouldnt do it more than that though.

gl
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Good luck sir. You can get diet advice anywhere so I won't bother. What I will say is Uric Acid is nothing to fuck with. Go to the doctor and get on allopurinol ASAP.

You could do great with a diet without Beer, red wine, shellfish and red meat and still have another breakout in years to come. I went after my bad attack 8 years ago and have not had another bad event since. And this is a guy who has eaten veal and red wine for a week in a row (I'm in Italy for work).

Seriously - don't sleep on it.

Load Metric
    You stick to what you wrote in the OP and you will be on a fast track to losing the weight.

Now, if you can incorporate at least 75 minutes per week of an intense aerobic type of workout you will be where you need to be in less than half a year.

I tend to concentrate a lot on heart health and monitor that a lot. You wanna really know what kind of shape you're in long term, then I suggest doing the same. It will help you stay motivated as well. First the weight loss will keep you motivated, then knowing where you are with your ticker will do so even more. Workout recovery heart rate is where it's at. Monitor resting, during workout, and after workout. In a few months time you will see improvements, which should motivate you more to see even further improvements. Before you know it you'll have a low BPM and great blood pressure like our friend Bottomset.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookygook View Post
    If you went to the doctor you would have gotten rid of it by now. It was too late to go natural, since you prob didn't realize what was going on until your foot was an inflamed mess. Get some pills for emergency situations like vacations and shit.
    According to Steve Jobs’ biographer, Walter Isaacson, the Apple mastermind eventually came to regret the decision he had made years earlier to reject potentially life-saving surgery in favor of alternative treatments like acupuncture, dietary supplements and juices.
    Have you tried acupuncture?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post

GL with the diet.
    I just watched a health show about raw garlic. If I can stick to no smoking I think I can win.
    Dice it up, usually can't taste it. Some things doesn't work well with. Tried it with Mac and Cheese. Not a good combo. Some things the flavor spreads in, and the garlic taste can be overpowering, other foods the garlic taste simply disappears.

If you start having tooth ache, try it for a few days, may be able to fight off an infection and save you a root canal or worse.

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Good luck sir. You can get diet advice anywhere so I won't bother. What I will say is Uric Acid is nothing to fuck with. Go to the doctor and get on allopurinol ASAP.

You could do great with a diet without Beer, red wine, shellfish and red meat and still have another breakout in years to come. I went after my bad attack 8 years ago and have not had another bad event since. And this is a guy who has eaten veal and red wine for a week in a row (I'm in Italy for work).

Yep I'm on it. You haven't had any bad side effects?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post

Yep I'm on it. You haven't had any bad side effects?
    If there are any bad side effects I wouldn't know it.

Thread Information