Thread: Thank you, David Ortiz, for helping us forget the shame of that other Boston-based sports superstar (for awhile).

Load Metric

Thank you, David Ortiz, for helping us forget the shame of that other Boston-based sports superstar (for awhile).

http://mweb.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on...areer-home-run

Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz homered twice on Saturday, giving him 34 on the season and -- far more importantly -- 500 in his career. That means he's the 27th man in baseball history to join the exclusive 500 Home Run club.

Comments

Corrigan: worse than garrett
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Banned
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    Love David Ortiz and everything he had done for the Red Sox.

That said you are kidding yourself if you don't think he is one of MLB's biggest PED users.

Load Metric
    Garbage time home runs.

34 home runs this year. Something like 28 or these were after June 15th when the Red Sox were clearly out of it.

This year he approached the plate with no regard for the situation. Never try to hit the other way to advance the runner or draw a walk to get on base. Nope, swing for the fences. I could care less about his getting to 500.

That he was one of the most prolific and clutch hitters in the post season gets my respect. Hitting against post season pitching when it mattered - getting base hits. Now that earned my respect forever.

Daly, you can exhaust yourself worrying about PED use. He was never caught. He played during the PED era, of course. Most of those guys got bagged. He certainly is a subject of focus and testing. Still nothing. Has he ever used? Probably. Does nearly everyone today, in all sports, use? Sure. It's managed more intelligently and in moderation because of Pro and NCAA regulation. There is always an off season. The science is better. Guys have learned a lot. I am okay with the current state of drugs in sports.

Settle down.

Mumbles, if watching your losing teams appeals to your sense of dignity and fairness then I suppose there is a place for that.

Local post season sports is tremendous fun to be around. We'll keep you posted.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Daly, you can exhaust yourself worrying about PED use. He was never caught.
    Sure he was. He was never caught when there was a penalty.

Mumbles, where you from?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

Mumbles, where you from?
    He showed up on a list and it wasn't clear what he tested positive for. It could have been cold medicine

Load Metric
    Lewfathers Bill Burr clip and this PED discussion got me thinking about what locker rooms were like. Bill Burr talking about the guy in the steam room with his schlong on full display. Nobody gives a shit after a season or four years. It's kind of a funny thing. It just ain't worth the bother after a certain point.

Was talking to a kid this week about the NCAA testing. They wake you up at 5:00am for the piss test. They don't just give you a cup and a few minutes in the can. Nope. They want to watch you whip it out and pee. They will stand there and wait for as long as it takes. There were some guys who just couldn't do it with somebody watching and held out till 1pm. The NCAA guy stood there waiting.

Being fucking middle aged now I swear I am peeing every hour.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    He showed up on a list and it wasn't clear what he tested positive for. It could have been cold medicine
    yeah, prolly just Sudafed or something.

Comments

herbertstemple: +1 Walter White rep.

Load Metric

Mumbles, where you from?
    Wherever he's from, He's full of shit when he types "us" in his thread title.

Huge, unimaginative phoney.

Load Metric

Mumbles, where you from?
    Connecticut. But closer to Boston than New York. Hence...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Lewfathers Bill Burr clip and this PED discussion got me thinking about what locker rooms were like. Bill Burr talking about the guy in the steam room with his schlong on full display. Nobody gives a shit after a season or four years. It's kind of a funny thing. It just ain't worth the bother after a certain point.

Was talking to a kid this week about the NCAA testing. They wake you up at 5:00am for the piss test. They don't just give you a cup and a few minutes in the can. Nope. They want to watch you whip it out and pee. They will stand there and wait for as long as it takes. There were some guys who just couldn't do it with somebody watching and held out till 1pm. The NCAA guy stood there waiting.

Being fucking middle aged now I swear I am peeing every hour.
    What does your doctor say about this?

Load Metric
    Mumbles, if watching your losing teams appeals to your sense of dignity and fairness then I suppose there is a place for that.

The highlight reel of individual accomplishments or one-off great games is tonic in otherwise lousy years.

I had enough fun watching my team come back from 0-3 to beat the Yankess in 2004 to get to the World Series, I almost didn't care why they ended up doing to St. Louis, nor what they may have done since then.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

The highlight reel of individual accomplishments or one-off great games is tonic in otherwise lousy years.

I had enough fun watching my team come back from 0-3 to beat the Yankess in 2004 to get to the World Series, I almost didn't care why they ended up doing to St. Louis, nor what they may have done since then.
    This OP was from a Boston sports fan? I don't follow. You're a Boston sports fan and you're feeling shame about Brady?

He pressed the edges and took every advantage to win. Welcome to the way the world works in sports, business & life.

Taking a needless gamble and losing might piss me off. But Brady won again. Just gotta tip your cap.

Gonna let you in on another secret. Nobody is worrying about whether the Red Sox are bending the rules. Nobody gives a shit about losers. It's a little perk you get for sucking.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 09-13-2015 at 06:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I'm not saying he is not a PED user either but we don't know what he tested positive for.

Load Metric

I'm not saying he is not a PED user either but we don't know what he tested positive for.
    Yeah he went from a run of the mill nothing in Minnesota to 1 of the best hitters in baseball almost overnight.

Pretty sure he didn't test positive for tic-tacs.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    This OP was from a Boston sports fan? I don't follow. You're a Boston sports fan and you're feeling shame about Brady?

He pressed the edges and took every advantage to win. Welcome to the way the world works in sports, business & life.

Taking a needless gamble and losing might piss me off. But Brady won again. Just gotta tip your cap.

Gonna let you in on another secret. Nobody is worrying about whether the Red Sox are bending the rules. Nobody gives a shit about losers. It's a little perk you get for sucking.
    When it comes to football, I am a Packers fan. Have been since I was kid, watching them dominate most of the 60s with my Dad. And at that time, the Boston Patriots were a flunky team in the second run AFL for most of that decade. And I loved it when my Packers beat New England in Super Bowl XXXI. But I did grow to respect the team for putting up a lot of winning seasons. But my opinion of the team has dominated given how MUCH they were cheating. Because there is, IMO, a limit.

Which is why I hated how Michael Irvin NEVER got called for offensive pass interference on Thanksgiving Day games against Green Bay when they played in Dallas. Because everyone knew he often pushed off to get separation, but the refs in Dallas repeatedly gave him the hometown superstar pass on it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Yeah he went from a run of the mill nothing in Minnesota to 1 of the best hitters in baseball almost overnight.

Pretty sure he didn't test positive for tic-tacs.
    Wasn't really a run of the mill nothing in Minnesota. They just fucked up and gave up on him because from what I read Tom Kelly wanted a more contact hitter and less of a guy who swung for the fences.

His last 1200 at bats over 3 seasons in Minnesota he hit 48 home runs and 196 RBI and these #s would have been higher had he played more. Break that into 2 seasons u got a guy who had somewhere in the ball park of 24 HR and 98 RBI per 600 at bats with a 340 OBP and high 400s in slugging percentage.

His final season in Minnesota he had an 839 OPS 20 HR and 75 RBI in 125 games.

That said, thanks to Minnesota for giving up on 26-27 year old power hitter when PEDS were rampant in the game.

Thread Information