Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** The 'Belichick New England Patriots are Definitely Cheaters' thread

Load Metric

***Official*** The 'Belichick New England Patriots are Definitely Cheaters' thread

http://deadspin.com/bombshell-espn-r...ium=socialflow

I want to hug and kiss this beautiful story from ESPN’s Don Van Natta Jr. and Seth Wickersham and take it out to a fancy dinner. Splendidly reported and brutally damning of both the New England Patriots and Roger Goodell, it alleges that the Patriots’ Spygate scandal was worse than anyone imagined—and was actively swept under the rug by the commissioner and the NFL.

You should read the story immediately, but the thrust is this—citing interviews with 90 sources in and around football as well as primary documents, ESPN reports that Bill Belichick and the Patriots videotaped opposing teams’ signals from 40 different games from 2000 through 2007. And when the scandal broke, Goodell did everything in his power to protect Robert Kraft, who was one of his strongest supporters and without whom he would not have been named commissioner. The thesis statement in this story is that the cover-up—and if this report is accurate, the league’s actions can’t be called anything else but a cover-up—so rankled other owners that Goodell came down extra-hard on New England and Tom Brady for Ballghazi as “a makeup call.”
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I love how Tom Brady is the biggest n-word in the league now.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Old news

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Name:  2015-09-08 10.32.00.png
Views: 930
Size:  1,002.9 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    http://www.csnne.com/new-england-pat...0for%20Spygate

A 10,704-word ESPN story released Tuesday confirmed that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell faced pressure from NFL owners to "go hard" on the Patriots during the investigation into alleged ball-tampering during the AFC Championship Game.

The story, co-written by Don Van Natta Jr., and Seth Wickersham, contains this damning line: "It was, one owner says, time for 'a makeup call.' "

The perceived "makeup" was in order because of the perception Goodell lived in the pocket of Patriots owner Robert Kraft and went easy on New England during the 2007 videotaping scandal dubbed Spygate.

There are 9,120 words devoted to rehashing Spygate. The real news, though, is the behind-the-scenes prodding to Goodell from Kraft’s fellow owners, their glee that the Patriots were brought to heel, and the notion that this was a months-long effort by Goodell to get his swagger back.

From the story:

But to the many owners who saw the Patriots as longtime cheaters, it really didn't matter that Goodell appeared eager, perhaps overeager, to show the rest of the NFL that he had learned the lessons of Spygate. One team owner acknowledges that for years there was a "jealous ... hater" relationship among many owners with Kraft, the residue of Spygate. "It's not surprising that there's a makeup call," one team owner says. Another longtime executive says a number of owners wanted Goodell to "go hard on this one."

Many other owners and executives, who feared alienating Kraft, did so privately, insisting that Goodell's willingness to take on the Patriots has helped him emerge in a stronger position with most of his billionaire bosses, managing the expectations of his 32 constituents with the savvy of a U.S. senator's son.

"Roger did the right thing -- at last," one owner said after Goodell upheld Brady's punishment. "He looks tough -- and that's good."

"Pleased," said another longtime owner.

"About time," an executive close to another owner said. "Overdue."

Those quotes are buried in the final paragraphs of the story which -- to be blunt -- is an embarrassingly transparent effort by ESPN to egg the Patriots franchise prior to Thursday night’s opener.

ESPN has an armada of insiders and reporters, and they all have their own sources and viewpoints. The report that spawned national outrage in January -- that 11 of 12 Patriots footballs were underinflated by as much as two psi -- came from ESPN’s Chris Mortensen. The network recently apologized (in the wee hours of a weekday morning) for falsely reporting the Patriots taped a Super Bowl XXXVI walkthrough by the St. Louis Rams. Their legal analysis from Lester Munson throughout the last month was stridently anti-Patriots . . . and knee-bucklingly wrong. And even the highly-respected Bob Ley’s tone in discussing the story was seen to be accusatory, condescending and -- it turns out -- uninformed.

While ESPN Boston’s Mike Reiss and the dean of information purveyors, Adam Schefter, have kept things objective, that hasn’t stopped significant blowback from the New England fan base and the Patriots as the story carried on.

Today's story smacks of, “You wanna play rough? Spygate.”

Even the graphic accompanying the story which bullet-points the meaty stuff with an “Among the Findings” headline shows that very little new was found.

It reads:

-- Deflategate is seen by some owners as a "makeup call" over Spygate.

-- From 2000 to 2007, the Patriots videotaped the signals of opposing coaches in 40 games.

-- Goodell's handling of Deflategate turned around owners still simmering over Spygate; some say he is now more secure in his job.

Since it’s out there, though, a few of the Spygate-related details are worth delving into. Billing this tidbit as something that “has never been made public,” the reporters reveal that NFL executives literally stomped on tapes until they were smashed to bits.

One important detail omitted, however, is that not every tape was destroyed. The idea that nobody knows exactly what was on the tapes keeps the Patriots boogie man alive, well, and hiding under the NFL's bed. Among those opining on this failure to give the league closure was ESPN analyst and former Colts president Bill Polian.

"I wish the evidence had not been destroyed because at least we would know what had been done," Polian told the reporters.

However, at the 2008 NFL owner's meetings, which served as the backdrop on which the reporters begin their narrative, video tapes of sideline signals taken by the Patriots were screened for NFL owners, executives, general managers, head coaches and media. Those tapes, I was told this morning, belonged to Matt Walsh, one of the Patriots employees who did some videotaping. Included on the tapes, in addition to shots of the scoreboard and the opposing sidelines, was video of cheerleaders shaking their buttocks, and one opposing coach waving to the camera.

The actual video is far from sinister. Additionally, it wasn't until a 2006 memo was put out by the league that anything in writing regarding sideline videotaping was specifically addressed.

The report is replete with opposing coaches, general managers and players lamenting that the Patriots must have cheated in key games because of how well-prepared they were. Interestingly, this report will coincide with the release of a documentary called "Do Your Job" that delves into the game-winning interception secured by Patriots cornerback Malcolm Butler and shows that Butler had been beaten on a similar play in practice prior to the Super Bowl.

Instead of spilling a whole bunch more words trying to dislodge entrenched and bitter complainants, better to just point at that Butler play and wonder whether the Patriots needed the videotapes in the first place at all.

Tom E. Curran serves as Comcast SportsNet's NFL Insider. Read more from Tom here, or follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    http://www.csnne.com/new-england-pat...0for%20Spygate

A 10,704-word ESPN story released Tuesday confirmed that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell faced pressure from NFL owners to "go hard" on the Patriots during the investigation into alleged ball-tampering during the AFC Championship Game.

The story, co-written by Don Van Natta Jr., and Seth Wickersham, contains this damning line: "It was, one owner says, time for 'a makeup call.' "

The perceived "makeup" was in order because of the perception Goodell lived in the pocket of Patriots owner Robert Kraft and went easy on New England during the 2007 videotaping scandal dubbed Spygate.

There are 9,120 words devoted to rehashing Spygate. The real news, though, is the behind-the-scenes prodding to Goodell from Kraft’s fellow owners, their glee that the Patriots were brought to heel, and the notion that this was a months-long effort by Goodell to get his swagger back.

From the story:

But to the many owners who saw the Patriots as longtime cheaters, it really didn't matter that Goodell appeared eager, perhaps overeager, to show the rest of the NFL that he had learned the lessons of Spygate. One team owner acknowledges that for years there was a "jealous ... hater" relationship among many owners with Kraft, the residue of Spygate. "It's not surprising that there's a makeup call," one team owner says. Another longtime executive says a number of owners wanted Goodell to "go hard on this one."

Many other owners and executives, who feared alienating Kraft, did so privately, insisting that Goodell's willingness to take on the Patriots has helped him emerge in a stronger position with most of his billionaire bosses, managing the expectations of his 32 constituents with the savvy of a U.S. senator's son.

"Roger did the right thing -- at last," one owner said after Goodell upheld Brady's punishment. "He looks tough -- and that's good."

"Pleased," said another longtime owner.

"About time," an executive close to another owner said. "Overdue."

Those quotes are buried in the final paragraphs of the story which -- to be blunt -- is an embarrassingly transparent effort by ESPN to egg the Patriots franchise prior to Thursday night’s opener.

ESPN has an armada of insiders and reporters, and they all have their own sources and viewpoints. The report that spawned national outrage in January -- that 11 of 12 Patriots footballs were underinflated by as much as two psi -- came from ESPN’s Chris Mortensen. The network recently apologized (in the wee hours of a weekday morning) for falsely reporting the Patriots taped a Super Bowl XXXVI walkthrough by the St. Louis Rams. Their legal analysis from Lester Munson throughout the last month was stridently anti-Patriots . . . and knee-bucklingly wrong. And even the highly-respected Bob Ley’s tone in discussing the story was seen to be accusatory, condescending and -- it turns out -- uninformed.

While ESPN Boston’s Mike Reiss and the dean of information purveyors, Adam Schefter, have kept things objective, that hasn’t stopped significant blowback from the New England fan base and the Patriots as the story carried on.

Today's story smacks of, “You wanna play rough? Spygate.”

Even the graphic accompanying the story which bullet-points the meaty stuff with an “Among the Findings” headline shows that very little new was found.

It reads:

-- Deflategate is seen by some owners as a "makeup call" over Spygate.

-- From 2000 to 2007, the Patriots videotaped the signals of opposing coaches in 40 games.

-- Goodell's handling of Deflategate turned around owners still simmering over Spygate; some say he is now more secure in his job.

Since it’s out there, though, a few of the Spygate-related details are worth delving into. Billing this tidbit as something that “has never been made public,” the reporters reveal that NFL executives literally stomped on tapes until they were smashed to bits.

One important detail omitted, however, is that not every tape was destroyed. The idea that nobody knows exactly what was on the tapes keeps the Patriots boogie man alive, well, and hiding under the NFL's bed. Among those opining on this failure to give the league closure was ESPN analyst and former Colts president Bill Polian.

"I wish the evidence had not been destroyed because at least we would know what had been done," Polian told the reporters.

However, at the 2008 NFL owner's meetings, which served as the backdrop on which the reporters begin their narrative, video tapes of sideline signals taken by the Patriots were screened for NFL owners, executives, general managers, head coaches and media. Those tapes, I was told this morning, belonged to Matt Walsh, one of the Patriots employees who did some videotaping. Included on the tapes, in addition to shots of the scoreboard and the opposing sidelines, was video of cheerleaders shaking their buttocks, and one opposing coach waving to the camera.

The actual video is far from sinister. Additionally, it wasn't until a 2006 memo was put out by the league that anything in writing regarding sideline videotaping was specifically addressed.

The report is replete with opposing coaches, general managers and players lamenting that the Patriots must have cheated in key games because of how well-prepared they were. Interestingly, this report will coincide with the release of a documentary called "Do Your Job" that delves into the game-winning interception secured by Patriots cornerback Malcolm Butler and shows that Butler had been beaten on a similar play in practice prior to the Super Bowl.

Instead of spilling a whole bunch more words trying to dislodge entrenched and bitter complainants, better to just point at that Butler play and wonder whether the Patriots needed the videotapes in the first place at all.

Tom E. Curran serves as Comcast SportsNet's NFL Insider. Read more from Tom here, or follow him on Twitter or Facebook.
    I agree that the big reveal is how Goodell was "tough" with the Pats over Deflategate to save his job. Meaning, with the fed judge nixing Brady's 4-game suspension, the Goodell's actions to seem tough were almost for show.

But that doesn't mean that a team I once admired isn't plagued by a cheating-enabling head coach. And that is the real shame. Because it has, IMO, stained the legacy of that franchise, as well as of its HOF-caliber quarterback.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Guys. Be careful of all the spilt milk. Seriously it's a huge problem right now.

Load Metric
    The Patriots are habitual cheaters who consistently get away with cheating.

Banned
    Load Metric
    lol he complains about bias in reporting while blatantly being a homer. What is the point of articles like this? If fans need an echo chamber to feel secure in their opinions, that's what team forums are for.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    The Patriots are habitual cheaters who consistently get away with cheating.
    Just read again how New England intercepted Payton Manning 4 (Four!) times in the 2003 season AFC Championship game. It makes me sick to think that even one of those interceptions might have occurred because of NE cheating. Sick! Because I'm from New England and grew to really like the team. Especially after the Pats had been almost a joke for so many years, barring the Jim Plunkett years. Iincluding the goofy 3-point stance "Patriot" logo on those otherwise white helmets.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    including the goofy 3-point stance "Patriot" logo on those otherwise white helmets.
    Fuck you forever for mocking Pat Patriot.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    including the goofy 3-point stance "Patriot" logo on those otherwise white helmets.
    Fuck you forever for mocking Pat Patriot.
    Come on! Those helmets looks so lame with that logo. Almost as bad as Tampa Bay's original winking gay pirate logo!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Comments

Daly: Pat Patriot rep

Load Metric
    T-Shirts being sold in Pittsburgh, PA.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    The Pats are the fucking worst. At this point they're trolling everyone with their blatant shenanigans, tomfoolery and monkeyshines.

LOL at the Steelers headsets last night. Yeah, I'm sure no one in the Patriot organization had anything to do with it.

Name:  larry-and-jeff.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  28.3 KB

Kraft should be forced to sell the team and Belichik banned for life.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Truth speaker rep

Hockey Guy: They obviously also place their defensive backs in our huddle.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post
    The Pats are the fucking worst. At this point they're trolling everyone with their blatant shenanigans, tomfoolery and monkeyshines.

LOL at the Steelers headsets last night. Yeah, I'm sure no one in the Patriot organization had anything to do with it.

Still not over that SB loss I see

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13...burgh-steelers

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The NFL says the New England Patriots had nothing to do with audio interference that rendered the Pittsburgh Steelers' coaching headsets useless during the first quarter on opening night Thursday.

Spokesman Michael Signora said Friday that the league believes the problem "involved no manipulation by any individual and that the Patriots had nothing to do with it."

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Every coach I heard interviewed on the radio today say this is common to happen in a lot of stadiums. Brian Billick said it never has happened to him in Foxboro though but has happened in other stadiums.

Load Metric
    steelers radio picking up radio signals, patriots radio picking up steelers play calls.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    steelers radio picking up radio signals, patriots radio picking up steelers play calls.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post

Every coach I heard interviewed on the radio today say this is common to happen in a lot of stadiums. Brian Billick said it never has happened to him in Foxboro though but has happened in other stadiums.
    I'm sure it's all just a big misunderstanding.

Thread Information