Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Being Asked to Change Seats on Plane to be closer to Spouse - what do you do?

Load Metric

Being Asked to Change Seats on Plane to be closer to Spouse - what do you do?

I have been traveling a lot lately and with that have come quite a few requests for me to change seats so someone can be closer to someone else (always a spouse/gf/bf). This can be annoying if you are all settled in to your seat. However, as long as the seat trade is the same then whatever (for example aisle seat for aisle seat) I just smile and say no problem.

Yesterday I was asked to swap my aisle seat for a person's window seat. This pisses me off for two reasons.

1. The level of narcissism a person has to have to even ask this of me is so high that I instantly dislike you. You are not trading a duplicate seat. You are giving me a seat I dont want and purposely never get. I like being in the aisle so i dont need to step over a person to use the restroom.

2. You make me the asshole. If I say no, I am now the dick and then have a 4 hour awkward ride next to your spouse.

In this situation, I said no problem and changed seats with the person even though I really fucking didnt want to.

What do you do in this situation?

I have traveled many times with people who got tickets last minute and where put across the aisle from me. I never ask anyone to trade seats unless they offer it (for example, they see us talking and realize we are together). It is my fault for not buying the tickets ahead of time to put myself with this other person and I am not going to ask someone else who is settled into their seat to move even if the seats are the same.
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Trade isle for window, no problem.

Trade isle/window for middle GTFO.

Load Metric
    My wife, son and I traveled to Boston 2 weeks ago. On the flight there they had my wife in a middle seat 12 rows up and my son and I in a middle and aisle... I would never ask anyone to trade seats in that spot.... on the way back we had middle, aisle, aisle. My wife was across from me. Without going into detail I asked the guy in the window seat if he would prefer the aisle seat... he said no, that he prefers the window seat... I didn't try to guilt him into switching by saying that my wife wanted to sit with us etc etc. There are circumstances where I will ask, but I rarely do
    We pray for understanding as we all occasionally request back door action by accident, when we tried to call an electrician. It happens, it simply happens.

Load Metric
    Didn't read but did you get to use the take my wife, please line

Load Metric
    Also ugh at Gallo smuggling his illegal family all over this great country

Comments

El Gallo: We are back to making tacos

Load Metric
    Just put headphones on and act dumb until the plane takes off.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Fly first class sir cuz you're baller enough.

ezgame!

Load Metric
    I'm assuming this is in First Class since I seem to remember reading that you only fly in FC.

Is there really such a big difference between an aisle & window seat in First Class where it would be a hassle getting in & out to use the restroom?
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    1. The level of narcissism a person has to have to even ask this of me is so high that I instantly dislike you. You are not trading a duplicate seat. You are giving me a seat I dont want and purposely never get. I like being in the aisle so i dont need to step over a person to use the restroom.
    Hella-overreaction. They are only asking if you would trade seats, and you have every right to say no. How is this a sign of someone else's outlandish level of narcissism? Is this just you bitching because someone made you uncomfortable for half a minute? They don't know you, they don't know you hate window seats, they weren't offering a bathroom seat or a middle seat, they are offering a seat that most people would be just fine with. They aren't trading a dupe seat? Well, they only have 1 seat to trade, so its not like they are keeping an aisle seat in their back pocket that they won't offer you.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Hella-overreaction. They are only asking if you would trade seats, and you have every right to say no. How is this a sign of someone else's outlandish level of narcissism? Is this just you bitching because someone made you uncomfortable for half a minute? They don't know you, they don't know you hate window seats, they weren't offering a bathroom seat or a middle seat, they are offering a seat that most people would be just fine with. They aren't trading a dupe seat? Well, they only have 1 seat to trade, so its not like they are keeping an aisle seat in their back pocket that they won't offer you.

And who wouldn't ask to trade seats if their significant other was far away or not next to them for a four hour flight? Wouldn't it make you the narcissistic one for assuming such shit? Maybe the girlfriend has severe panic attacks when traveling, and needs to be next to her loved one.

You never know other people's situations. You just project your own.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    I have been traveling a lot lately and with that have come quite a few requests for me to change seats so someone can be closer to someone else (always a spouse/gf/bf). This can be annoying if you are all settled in to your seat. However, as long as the seat trade is the same then whatever (for example aisle seat for aisle seat) I just smile and say no problem.

Yesterday I was asked to swap my aisle seat for a person's window seat. This pisses me off for two reasons.

2. You make me the asshole. If I say no, I am now the dick and then have a 4 hour awkward ride next to your spouse.

In this situation, I said no problem and changed seats with the person even though I really fucking didnt want to.

I have traveled many times with people who got tickets last minute and where put across the aisle from me. I never ask anyone to trade seats unless they offer it (for example, they see us talking and realize we are together). It is my fault for not buying the tickets ahead of time to put myself with this other person and I am not going to ask someone else who is settled into their seat to move even if the seats are the same.
    I agree on your trading policy, but I don't see a reason for you to hate them for asking. In some situations maybe you got your seat auto picked and didn't have a preference. In those cases when you ask the person they don't really care because their seat was auto picked anyway and they may prefer the window. On another note, why the hell do you prefer the aisle to the window? I'd much rather have the window than the aisle because my fucking knees always get rammed by the carts and flight attendants. Plus when I'm sleeping I don't like being woken up for someone to get by me to go piss. I'd rather sit at the window and wake other people up if I had to piss.

Load Metric
    1. The level of narcissism a person has to have to even ask this of me is ..............

Weren't you the dude who was slightly annoyed at his condo neighbors, and your first thought was just to buy their whole condo and ship them off someplace else?

Sorry you got asked to trade an aisle for a window dude, you are a true hero to accomodate a couple here
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83
    I'm going to come across as a bit of a douche but I really know more about this then anyone on this board by miles.

...if Trump is nominee he wins Presidency easily. Angry Blue Collar Whites will have record turnout.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post

ezgame!

i am talking about first class

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIEDhomicide View Post

And who wouldn't ask to trade seats if their significant other was far away or not next to them for a four hour flight? Wouldn't it make you the narcissistic one for assuming such shit? Maybe the girlfriend has severe panic attacks when traveling, and needs to be next to her loved one.

You never know other people's situations. You just project your own.
    If traveling is that crippling to you, wouldnt you figure all that out beforehand?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrigan View Post
    1. The level of narcissism a person has to have to even ask this of me is ..............

Weren't you the dude who was slightly annoyed at his condo neighbors, and your first thought was just to buy their whole condo and ship them off someplace else?

Sorry you got asked to trade an aisle for a window dude, you are a true hero to accomodate a couple here

ty

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post

I agree on your trading policy, but I don't see a reason for you to hate them for asking. In some situations maybe you got your seat auto picked and didn't have a preference. In those cases when you ask the person they don't really care because their seat was auto picked anyway and they may prefer the window. On another note, why the hell do you prefer the aisle to the window? I'd much rather have the window than the aisle because my fucking knees always get rammed by the carts and flight attendants. Plus when I'm sleeping I don't like being woken up for someone to get by me to go piss. I'd rather sit at the window and wake other people up if I had to piss.

In first class you always get to pick your seats beforehand. There is never a middle seat. On domestic flights there are always 2 seats. Sometimes you will get pods if from NY to LA or something like that.

Load Metric

Perhaps an over reaction. To put in context, there are only two seats aisle and window. I would just feel like a dick to say no.

Load Metric
    It being first class makes a big difference IMO. There is still nothing wrong with asking or refusing though. I see it as a reasonable request.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The only time I change my seat is for someone's child.

Besides that? GTFO

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post

ezgame!

i am talking about first class
    Then I'd probably say no unless it didn't bother me to move and I'd tell them that you fly first class for the reason of not being asked change seats.

Perhaps it's just me but it seems really uncool/borderline rude to ask this question to anyone flying first class.

Thread Information