Thread: The re-trial is on.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

The re-trial is on.

Why Drug-sniffing Dogs Don’t Work: Racism and the Clever Hans Effect

Banned
    Load Metric
    The Clever Hans story I learned in school was slightly different, but same principle. That's not why drug dogs give so many false positives though. The example dog she mentioned alerted 93% of the time. The dog is just trained to bark whenever the cop brings it out so he has an excuse to search. The 54% success rate is entirely based on the cop's intuition and actually kind of impressive.

The police at my high school did this all the time. It was supposed to be sweeps of the parking lot, but they'd just beeline for the car of a known pothead, tug on the dog's leash and speak excitedly to it, get the desired reaction, and have carte blanche to dig through his shit.

I don't know what you're talking about regarding re-trials. Supreme court says that having a dog sniffing around does not constitute a search, but once the dog alerts, they legally have probable cause to conduct a search. It's a great loophole around the 4th amendment. Your only out is the fact that they can't detain you while calling the dogs in.

EDIT: I forgot to add, this has also happened to me personally. When I drove to Atlanta for the Bluff job. As I passed through Alabama a cop pulled me over for following too closely in 10mph gridlock. He repeatedly asked me if I had drugs, I repeatedly (and honestly) said no. Then he called in the K9 unit which predictably alerted. That asshole tore my car apart determined to confirm his hunch and find something illegal. God bless America.

Comments

MumblesBadly: no drugs in car with out-of-state plates with driving through Deep South = smart
    Last edited by SrslySirius; 08-24-2015 at 09:09 PM.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Whole video, good watch.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Why Drug-sniffing Dogs Don’t Work: Racism and the Clever Hans Effect

I don't do drugs (heck, I hardly have any alcohol!), but IMO the Drug War has been the most corrosive factor on the relations between law enforcement and "civilians" in our lifetime. In many jurisdictions, it has given unscrupulous cops and their departments the legal cover to harass poorer communities just to pad their careers and funding.

And, sadly, at one time, I also bought into the lie that SWAT-team-powered raids on poor community-living low-level drug dealers, as often seen on reality TV shows like "Cops", actually made a dent in the illegal drug trade! I am fooled no more! And the retired cops of LEAP who worked on the front line of that "war" helped me to see the truth about this matter.

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    The Clever Hans story I learned in school was slightly different, but same principle. That's not why drug dogs give so many false positives though. The example dog she mentioned alerted 93% of the time. The dog is just trained to bark whenever the cop brings it out so he has an excuse to search. The 54% success rate is entirely based on the cop's intuition and actually kind of impressive.

The police at my high school did this all the time. It was supposed to be sweeps of the parking lot, but they'd just beeline for the car of a known pothead, tug on the dog's leash and speak excitedly to it, get the desired reaction, and have carte blanche to dig through his shit.

I don't know what you're talking about regarding re-trials. Supreme court says that having a dog sniffing around does not constitute a search, but once the dog alerts, they legally have probable cause to conduct a search. It's a great loophole around the 4th amendment. Your only out is the fact that they can't detain you while calling the dogs in.

EDIT: I forgot to add, this has also happened to me personally. When I drove to Atlanta for the Bluff job. As I passed through Alabama a cop pulled me over for following too closely in 10mph gridlock. He repeatedly asked me if I had drugs, I repeatedly (and honestly) said no. Then he called in the K9 unit which predictably alerted. That asshole tore my car apart determined to confirm his hunch and find something illegal. God bless America.
    It's a long story........
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Load Metric
    Fuck you are the worst. Would you finally shut it down? Nobody likes you or your shitty posts. You have been awful since day 1. go away.

Comments

splitthis:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Fuck you are the worst. Would you finally shut it down? Nobody likes you or your shitty posts. You have been awful since day 1. go away.
    tgull......ha
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by limitles; 08-25-2015 at 08:22 PM.

Thread Information