Thread: Chinese Poker is for nits -- learn Taiwanese Poker

Load Metric

Chinese Poker is for nits -- learn Taiwanese Poker

I learned this game about 3 months ago. Since then it has started growing in popularity in Florida. I've heard a high stakes $100/pt game was being spread at the Hollywood HR. Taiwanese can be played heads up, or multi-way just like Chinese. Here's how to play:

Every player gets dealt 7 cards. You then set up a 1 card hand, a hold'em hand and an Omaha hand. Everybody then sets up their hands and puts them face down. A 5 card community board is then put out and everybody reveals their hands.

Scoring:
    I played with the guy who invented the game during the WSOPc Palm Beach. He said he invented the scoring as 1-1-1, but I said we were doing the scoring as 1-2-3. He agreed that doing 1-2-3 is better. Otherwise the Omaha hand is basically worthless. So whoever wins the 1-card hand gets 1 point from everybody. Whoever wins the hold'em hand gets 2 points from everybody. And whoever wins the Omaha hand gets 3 points from each person. So if you're playing with 4 other people and you win your Hold'em hand, but lose the other two hands you would be at +4 (+8 for the hold'em hand and -3 and -1 for the other 2 hands). You have to sweep everybody to win that hand. So if you're playing 3 ways with Mark and Bob and you have an Ace as your 1-card hand and Mark has a 8 and Bob has a 4 and the board runs out 238JQ, Mark gets 2 points and you and Bob get -1 points.

Variations:
    To speed up the game we usually play where two or three community boards are run out. If you do this, I recommend doing the scoring 1 board at a time or it'll get confusing. I've also played where if you sweep you get double points. So if you're playing 3-ways and you sweep all 3 hands, you'd get 24 points, instead of 12. Burning/turning is also optional. I usually don't burn cards.

The game is easy to learn/teach and is pretty addicting. I think optimal strategy is to put a lot of emphasis on the hold'em hand. I've played for as high as $50/pt before I realized that 50+ point swings are pretty easy to come by. I'm pretty sure this game is going to become very popular in the future as far as "side games" go.
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    a zillion times THIS!

I learned this game in Florida and crushed it for 600 that night and like 1200 since... I even tought it to the guys at bluefire... Chinese poker can blow me (no homo)

Load Metric
    Threw this into my weekly mixed game and it was well received. I still like Chinese better but that could be because I lost 47 points rather quickly.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I am so old school that I prefer regular Chinese with no deuce in the middle idioticry.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I am so old school that I prefer regular Chinese with no deuce in the middle faggotry.
    Gotta have the deuce in the middle..

Thread Information