Thread: Naugles returns after 26 years thanks to trademark lapse on Del Taco's part

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Naugles returns after 26 years thanks to trademark lapse on Del Taco's part

http://la.eater.com/2015/7/28/906070...opens-today-in

This was a well known chain in southern California in the 1980s.

There were more than 200 Naugles locations, but they were bought by Del Taco and converted into that brand.

Naugles ceased to exist, save for a few items that Del Taco "stole" from the menu and incorporated into theirs.

The dumbasses forgot about the Naugles brand, though, and forgot to renew the trademark. A huge Naugles fan grabbed it, and after a 5-year court battle, he won, and now a single Naugles is opening in Fountain Valley, California.

Comments

desertrunner:

Jayjami: OMG. Completely forgot about Naugles!

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    It's back for now, but soon...

Load Metric
    This thread deserves a 5+ year bump and update. I will share what I know...

- Growing up in Huntington Beach, I visited the then Naugles at Brookhurst and Hamilton Streets, now a Del Taco.

- As Druff wrote, there was a "test kitchen" in Fountain Valley, I dont know if its still open or not since the legit Stanton location is now open.

- I did visit their semi legit location on the actual beach of HB about 3 years ago. The food then was not as good as I remembered. I assume its improved over time.

- For years, there has been an independent fast food restaurant called BT's Buns and Torts in central CA that has mirrored Naugles food as the rumor is a Naugles relative or family member brought the recipes over there. A link to BTs in Visalia- https://www.visitvisalia.com/account/bts-bun-torts

- Naugles now has a legit fast food drive through in Stanton, CA (Orange County). I expect more locations coming soon.

- Some Las Vegas history, there WAS a Naugles in Vegas in the 1980s. Over the last few years, this one specific historic staircase picture has gotten more famous. I like it because it just blares "80s". Will Naugles return to Las Vegas, I think the owner told online a maybe in the future as they slowly grow.

Last edited by desertrunner; 12-24-2020 at 08:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Good info. Too bad I'm not going to eat anywhere right now.

I wonder if this Naugles will survive the pandemic.

Are the menu items the same as back then, or is it just the same name?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Good info. Too bad I'm not going to eat anywhere right now.

I wonder if this Naugles will survive the pandemic.

Are the menu items the same as back then, or is it just the same name?
    As you know, the fast food chains have been doing well during the pandemic as its one of the few places to get food on the spot. I assume they are doing well. Last night, the Chick Fil A in Folsom had about 100+ cars in the line to get food.

I also assume the menu is a s close to the original as possible.

Also, the guy that bought the Naugles name and opened the Stanton store is a FB friend, I will PM him and maybe he can be on the PFA show as a guest?
    Last edited by desertrunner; 12-24-2020 at 08:31 PM.

Load Metric
    More info on the B&Ts in Visalia from a 2009 link-

You might wonder why I am mentioning a place in Visalia but it has some definite ties to a once prominent chain in Orange County. This has been mentioned in the comments of some of our Naugles entries before but Naugles lives on in a place called Buns & Torts in Visalia and is run by Jeff Naugle, who I believe is a nephew to Dick Naugle, the founder of the much loved Naugles chain. Buns & Torts really is Naugles but I believe they have to operate with a different name due to Del Taco owning the Naugles name now.

A faithful reader of our blog here, Eric, found out about this place during a conversation with me about Naugles and it just so happened that he was getting ready to take a trip with his family to Yosemite. On said trip he made a little detour off the freeway and found Buns & Torts and took a number of photos to share with us. Before he got back he e-mailed me.

Eric also confirmed that they have the old Naugles root beer shakes; if you don't see it on the menu then ask for it. We are still crossing our fingers that Del Taco will bring back the Naugles menu but until then keep in mind that Buns & Torts is authentic Naugles. Thanks to Eric and his family for accepting my commission to scout this place out and for sending all the photos in.When I talked with him after his trip he said that this place is "straight up Naugles," so Naugles fans should be sure to go there if they are in the area.
    http://ocmexfood.blogspot.com/2009/08/buns-torts.html

The other commercial I actually remember seeing in the 80s...

Comments

Dan Druff: i remember that too
    Last edited by desertrunner; 12-24-2020 at 10:07 PM.

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Bump, I went to the Stanton location recently for the second time and was not so impressed with my food. Will try again.

Also, they just opened up their second full service location in Artesia, CA (LA County).

Some random history- This private picture was taken in LAS VEGAS, NV. I dont know how many locations Naugles had in Nevada, but know there was atleast 1 in Vegas.

Load Metric
    Update- I just spoke to the Naugles CEO/owner on the phone just now and he corrected me. There were THREE Naugles locations in Las Vegas in the past.

Druff is a Vegas buff like me, so this important to share and be accurate on.

Load Metric

Naugles returns after 26 years thanks to trademark lapse on Del Taco's part

Right now I am in Central California and this BY’s was modeled after the old Naugles shops. The food is pretty close, even down the the salsa cups.

Some history- When the new Naugles owner got started, he came to BT’s to observe the operation, take notes, etc. This place is literally the In N Out Burger of Mexican fast food- quick, good quality and cheap price.

BT’s even uses the old Naugles motto and tag lines…

Comments

Dan Druff:

Load Metric
    Some Las Vegas Naugles history-

This personal pic was taken in Las Vegas and has held some historic value.

Thread Information