Thread: Crazy Mike accused of being busto & in heavy debt to pro poker players

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Crazy Mike accused of being busto & in heavy debt to pro poker players

"Crazy Mike" Thorpe is an interesting character.

He seemed to appear in poker out of nowhere circa 2007. He was a clean-cut, young guy (about 25 at the time, but looked younger), but had a loud, blunt, attention-seeking type personality.

Here is Mike describing himself about seven years ago on 2+2:

Well since this thread is about me I might need to clarify some things about myself..

- I was in Navy for 6 years, discharged honorably (Kinda surprising I know)

- I am an ultra right wing conservative.

- I do not drink alcohol. I do drink Pepsi and Gatorade.

- I am unreasonable about my view of what a "hit and run is" but I believe and I am probably the only one that believes this but if I am down money and my opponent decides to quit then I consider it a hit and run even after 12 hours of play. I am Crazy remember.

- I do not have a trust fund. I wish I did but I have no other sources of income then poker.

- I do destroy bots and bring attention to the issue as I believe poker bots will destroy online poker as we know it today unless major actions are taken to protect the integrity and human aspect of poker in an online form.

- I do like to go all in every hand for fun and mostly the psychological effects of my surroundings and reactions from people is what I get the most joy for pissing away my money. I do not do non poker degan things like craps, sports betting or slots simply I think because I think they are boring and I know I cant beat them so whats the point?

- It is also true I will play anyone in the world a LIVE HU freezeout for 10,15 or 20K. I have never denied action LIVE to anyone for those amounts ever. I will not play higher at this point because I like Bank roll management and do not have the roll for the ridiculous stipulations Hoss TBF and others have set to play LIVE which I understand. Why would you want to play me a 50 big bet freezeout for 20K when you play 1k-2k online. Then tells me "just get a backer" and I am like who the hell will back anyone agasint you? I am not super baller like him but maybe someday.

- I do have super horrible game selection. How else am I going to be the best in the world? Money is not everything.

- I have never played keanu reeves in poker in any way or form.

- Poker Girl Z, Greggo777, Mad Haddie, Bernie Fife or if you play Cake someone from "Toulca Lake" is in my opinion one of the most unethical women I have ever known in a virtual form. It is true she threatened to kill me several times. She now stalks me wherever I go but is not willing to play me at all and pretends to want 3 way or 4 way action but then when that happens she leaves. Kinda pathetic in my opinion.

- Sublime and Joe tall have both "pwnd" me and both have open invitations to have a rematch at anytime with me. They both decline. So I guess it is a true hit and run with no chance at getting my 5K and 18K back respectively.

- I don't think I look like a bum. I do wear socks with sandals but find it comfortable. I shower daily and after soccer practice sometimes twice. Why I have to even explain this is sad but I am clearing up misconseptions.

- I do not like Dean/PartyGirlUK for many reasons but do not wish to expand beyond that. I also have nothing against British people. =)

-Crazy Mike

Most of the above is accurate.

He was also known for relentlessly prying into people's lives at the poker table. He would often ask you blunt, sometimes offensive questions.

At the same time, while feigning openness, he was also quite secretive. Nobody knew where his money came from. Mike had a military background (hardly a lucrative job), and yet he showed up in poker immediately at high limits, claiming he won the money online. However, nobody had seem him run it up online at the time, so these claims were dubious.

He was a fairly good limit HU player, but he never won the type of money that he would dump off playing live, and those winnings came AFTER he was already known on the live scene. It was weird.

Mike was also known for his "hyena yelp" (which I actually named, and he liked it, so he started referring to it that way), where he would scream in a loud, high-pitched tone, "AYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYA" whenever he won a pot. Eventually he was forced by most cardrooms to stop the hyena yelp.

He did seem to be willing to challenge nearly anyone to $10k heads-up freezouts live. He also would sit in live ring poker games and seemingly dump money, such as playing wildly, blindly going all-in, only looking at one card, etc.

He also was big on what he called "ethics", and would get into major wars/arguments/battles with people he didn't feel acted "ethically". In one case, he got into a major battle with a girl I knew because he didn't like how she refused to play him heads up when he would sit with her, and it escalated from there. (I felt she was right in this argument, btw.) Laughably, when I publicly took her side in the situation, Mike came up to me at the WSOP and yelled out loud that I only did so because I was having sex with her (lol).

Despite that situation, I mostly got along with Crazy Mike. We both had a hatred of online poker bots at limit holdem, and I learned to handle his quirks. When he would say obnoxious things to me at the table or ask me prying questions, I would give it right back to him (though in a playful way). He also revealed to me in 2013 that he was a regular listener to PFA Radio. However, when I offered to give him a mention, he demanded that I keep his listenership quiet (lol).

I could never figure out if Mike's eccentric personality was an act for attention/poker action, or if he actually couldn't help himself. He did seem to exhibit signs of Asperger's.

There is actually another loud, sometimes-obnoxious Mike in limit holdem. There's a guy known as "Squeaky", who actually played with me once on Live At the Bike. Squeaky is also known for constantly talking and annoying everyone at the poker table. I was very intrigued to see what would happen if these two Mikes were ever at the same table, and it actually happened at the WSOP a few years ago. Interestingly, Crazy Mike quickly went quiet there, and had a depressed look on his face. It seemed to me that Crazy Mike was "out-crazied" by Squeaky, and felt upstaged. This made me start to believe that perhaps Crazy Mike really was mostly acting all along.

He's friends (not sure how close) with "Butters", who ran very deep at the year's WSOP Main (and had the chip lead after Day 6).

Mike also runs a drone store in Las Vegas, which I think he started in 2014. Here he is talking about it on the news:

It is not clear what percentage he owns of the store.

It seemed on the surface that he must have had a trust fund and didn't care about money, but...

First this:

Quote Originally Posted by *TT*
    Normally I would not post something like this, but it's no secret - every mixed game player on the west coast knows this story. Mike himself tells everyone within earshot how he is busto and owes some key players a bunch of money that he is paying off thanks to his work at Drones Plus. Mike can still be seen in the 40/80 mix game at Bellagio once every other month or so as far as I know. I believe he was also playing low stakes games online at wsop.com, he is a lot humbler now and less manic - but every once in a while a little bit the old personality comes out. Last I saw him was this past Spring, and I would assume that Mike would want this to be posted - he is a very open person. If I am wrong, my apologies Mike.
    Then this...
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathDonkey
    I cannot let this drivel go even though its probably against my own best interest but I basically feel there is zero chance crazy mike the scumbag will ever pay me a penny of what I am owed so whatever.

Mike is a real open person until he is lying to your face begging you for $ and swearing on everything he can think of that you will be paid back. He owes 7 figures, you think he is gonna pay every one back working at his store while randomly dumping off $ in 40/80 whenever he can afford a buyin? You are as delusional about him as I used to be.

Mike if you read this I'm still waiting for a penny of my $ you scumbag thief
    *TT* is Steve McLoughlin (previously I reported this incorrectly as Todd Terry).
    DeathDonkey is Chris Vitch.

Both have been around a long time, and both are reliable.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: excellent avatar rep

Load Metric
    - I do not have a trust fund. I wish I did but I have no other sources of income then poker.

bouuuuuullllllll shit.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    If he doesnt have a trust fund its because he blew threw it at the mixed games.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    easy marks

was fun

sfo

Load Metric
    Quick google of Chris Vitch only brings me to one very important question. How the fuck does this guy have "7 figures" to just loan out to someone that was obviously mentally unstable at the poker table?

He has 275k in live earnings and 111k of that came from this last WSOP.

I found an old 2p2 thread of him claiming he was playing 400/800 mixed games live somewhere back in 2010, but again where did his money even come from?

Assuming he was a winning player at 400/800 i doubt he has 8 figures to his name so why back someone for 7 figures like crazy mike? If it's true dude was asking for it.

Comments

ftpjesus: Easy.. Cash games arent tracked on Hendon or anywherelse Im aware of.. Most poker players make their money in Cash games not Tournaments.. Too much variance in Tourneys

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post
    Quick google of Chris Vitch only brings me to one very important question. How the fuck does this guy have "7 figures" to just loan out to someone that was obviously mentally unstable at the poker table?

I found an old 2p2 thread of him claiming he was playing 400/800 mixed games live somewhere back in 2010, but again where did his money even come from?

Assuming he was a winning player at 400/800 i doubt he has 8 figures to his name so why back someone for 7 figures like crazy mike? If it's true dude was asking for it.
    DD has been one of the most consistent limit winners for years

and he said crazy mike owes 7 figures, not necessarily all from DD

Comments

Muck Ficon: Beat me to it.

Load Metric

He didn't say he loaned him 7 figures. He said that is what Mike owes people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post

He didn't say he loaned him 7 figures. He said that is what Mike owes people.
    Ah my bad. The way I was reading it made it look like he had 7 figures of him. Little confusing at first.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Not sure if he was a big online winner in the early days but he was playing during the poker boom. When I started moving up in stakes around 2009 he wasn't playing any LHE online that I am aware of but he may have been in mixed games but was probably playing live.

I believe he was a founder of deuces cracked and coached there too and that was prob semi lucrative for a while

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, this probably isn't related, but Mike's Drones Plus store was broken into FOUR TIMES in the past year:

http://wgno.com/2015/06/03/drone-sto...ime-this-year/

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    His name is Crazy Mike so what else should these people expect?

Load Metric
    "I have played millions of hands of heads-up limit hold’em online, and I eventually gravitated to mixed games a year or two ago because online limit hold’em died. The game is pretty much solved, and everyone is really good at it. My edge is very small in the game these days. There really is no [expected value] either way. Thus, I had to learn new games to continue to be a poker player, and that’s exactly what I did." (2011)

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news...zy-mike-thorpe

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

He seemed to appear in poker out of nowhere circa 2007. He was a clean-cut, young guy (about 25 at the time, but looked younger), but had a loud, blunt, attention-seeking type personality.

He was also known for relentlessly prying into people's lives at the poker table. He would often ask you blunt, sometimes offensive questions.

At the same time, while feigning openness, he was also quite secretive. Nobody knew where his money came from. Mike had a military background (hardly a lucrative job), and yet he showed up in poker immediately at high limits, claiming he won the money online. However, nobody had seem him run it up online at the time, so these claims were dubious.

He was a fairly good limit HU player, but he never won the type of money that he would dump off playing live, and those winnings came AFTER he was already known on the live scene. It was weird.

Mike was also known for his "hyena yelp" (which I actually named, and he liked it, so he started referring to it that way), where he would scream in a loud, high-pitched tone, "AYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYA" whenever he won a pot. Eventually he was forced by most cardrooms to stop the hyena yelp.

He did seem to be willing to challenge nearly anyone to $10k heads-up freezouts live. He also would sit in live ring poker games and seemingly dump money, such as playing wildly, blindly going all-in, only looking at one card, etc.

He also was big on what he called "ethics", and would get into major wars/arguments/battles with people he didn't feel acted "ethically". In one case, he got into a major battle with a girl I knew because he didn't like how she refused to play him heads up when he would sit with her, and it escalated from there. (I felt she was right in this argument, btw.) Laughably, when I publicly took her side in the situation, Mike came up to me at the WSOP and yelled out loud that I only did so because I was having sex with her (lol).

Despite that situation, I mostly got along with Crazy Mike. We both had a hatred of online poker bots at limit holdem, and I learned to handle his quirks. When he would say obnoxious things to me at the table or ask me prying questions, I would give it right back to him (though in a playful way). He also revealed to me in 2013 that he was a regular listener to PFA Radio. However, when I offered to give him a mention, he demanded that I keep his listenership quiet (lol).

I could never figure out if Mike's eccentric personality was an act for attention/poker action, or if he actually couldn't help himself. He did seem to exhibit signs of Asperger's.

There is actually another loud, sometimes-obnoxious Mike in limit holdem. There's a guy known as "Squeaky", who actually played with me once on Live At the Bike. Squeaky is also known for constantly talking and annoying everyone at the poker table. I was very intrigued to see what would happen if these two Mikes were ever at the same table, and it actually happened at the WSOP a few years ago. Interestingly, Crazy Mike quickly went quiet there, and had a depressed look on his face. It seemed to me that Crazy Mike was "out-crazied" by Squeaky, and felt upstaged. This made me start to believe that perhaps Crazy Mike really was mostly acting all along.

He's friends (not sure how close) with "Butters", who ran very deep at the year's WSOP Main (and had the chip lead after Day 6).

Mike also runs a drone store in Las Vegas, which I think he started in 2014. Here he is talking about it on the news:

It seemed on the surface that he must have had a trust fund and didn't care about money, but...

First this:

Quote Originally Posted by *TT*
    Normally I would not post something like this, but it's no secret - every mixed game player on the west coast knows this story. Mike himself tells everyone within earshot how he is busto and owes some key players a bunch of money that he is paying off thanks to his work at Drones Plus. Mike can still be seen in the 40/80 mix game at Bellagio once every other month or so as far as I know. I believe he was also playing low stakes games online at wsop.com, he is a lot humbler now and less manic - but every once in a while a little bit the old personality comes out. Last I saw him was this past Spring, and I would assume that Mike would want this to be posted - he is a very open person. If I am wrong, my apologies Mike.
    Then this...
    I cannot let this drivel go even though its probably against my own best interest but I basically feel there is zero chance crazy mike the scumbag will ever pay me a penny of what I am owed so whatever.

Mike is a real open person until he is lying to your face begging you for $ and swearing on everything he can think of that you will be paid back. He owes 7 figures, you think he is gonna pay every one back working at his store while randomly dumping off $ in 40/80 whenever he can afford a buyin? You are as delusional about him as I used to be.

*TT* is Todd Terry.

Never knew this - I always thought he posted as "Todd Terry"

I wouldn't be surprised if his original bankroll came from online poker back in the day - a lot of people won 7 figs playing at party/ub/stars/ftp. The learning curve seemed to get pretty steep after Party left the US market but there was a lot of free $$ back then. A lot of nameless, faceless people won a lot of money in the early days

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post

First this:

Then this...

*TT* is Todd Terry.

I wouldn't be surprised if his original bankroll came from online poker back in the day - a lot of people won 7 figs playing at party/ub/stars/ftp. The learning curve seemed to get pretty steep after Party left the US market but there was a lot of free $$ back then. A lot of nameless, faceless people won a lot of money in the early days
    He didn't.

I was part of the limit holdem community since 2001. I knew who all of the big winners were.

Mike didn't appear at all until around 2007, and at that point he seemed to be winning, but not killing it.

Something never added up.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    *TT* is Todd Terry.
    *TT* on 2+2 is Steve McLoughlin (_Tizzle on Twitter) the guy who developed PokerTracker

Comments

Hockey Guy: Please post more. Also, nice quoting fail you dumbass.
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post

*TT* on 2+2 is Steve McLoughlin (_Tizzle on Twitter) the guy who developed PokerTracker
    Whoops.

Always thought it was Todd Terry.

Shows you how closely I follow 2+2.

I'll fix the OP. Thanks.

Load Metric
    Also, this probably isn't related, but Mike's Drones Plus store was broken into FOUR TIMES in the past year:

http://wgno.com/2015/06/03/drone-sto...ime-this-year/
    It's not Mike's Drones plus store and he is not a co-founder of the business.
    Mike Thorpe might be a drone enthusiast and a minority investor in the business, maybe he bought in for 5% to 10% for $50K or $100K.

Drones Plus inc. is registered to a MARCUS L. MIZZI who is President/Secretary/Treasurer/Director of the business.

Load Metric
    BUMP!

Does anyone know whatever happened to this guy? I did have a legit confrontation with him at the Aria Poker room back in 2013.

*EDIT Not him. I can't fucking think of the guys name.
    Last edited by Bootsy Collins; 07-10-2020 at 07:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post
    BUMP!

Does anyone know whatever happened to this guy? I did have a legit confrontation with him at the Aria Poker room back in 2013.

*EDIT Not him. I can't fucking think of the guys name.
    Good question. I also wonder if he still listens to radio. (At the time of this post, he was listening every week.)

Funny thing happened at a WSOP event a few years ago. Mike saw me, came up, said hello, made small talk, was fairly subdued and friendly, then walked off. I was friendly back, and then there was a silence at the table.

The guy next to me, a fairly well known poker pro, quipped, "I guess you're one of the few people he doesn't owe money to, huh?"

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Anyway, he really rescued Micon though. When Micon made his plea deal, part of his probation involved having to be gainfully employed (not self employed) during the length of probation. In Micon's defense, this was a stupid term of probation, but I assume this is fairly standard for probation, where they are trying to reform criminals into better citizens, and feel that them having a job is often necessary for that.

Well, if you know Micon, then you also probably know he's incapable for working for other people, and every attempt he ever had to take a real job didn't end well. How could he hold a job for 2 years? This would have been his own personal hell.

Fortunately for him, Crazy Mike basically set him up with a sham job at Drones Plus, where Micon was "director of security" or something dumb like that. I'm sure Micon did some actual (minimal) work there on their security procedures, but it wasn't a real, full time position, or anywhere close to that. However, they were able to make it look like it was, and this satisfied probation.

BTW, I'm not even bashing Micon (or Mike) for this one, since the "job" requirement of the probation was stupid in the first place. Just a funny story.

Comments

ShawnFanningsLimpDick: There's a certain inevitably about a store hiring Micon as head of security being broken into multiple times.

Thread Information