Thread: Italian Mafia Popped for Gambling Ring - 2B Euros Seized - Druff Has Fit Over Civil Forfeiture

Load Metric

Italian Mafia Popped for Gambling Ring - 2B Euros Seized - Druff Has Fit Over Civil Forfeiture

ROME (Reuters) - Italian police said on Wednesday they had seized assets worth 2 billion euros ($2.2 billion) and issued 41 arrest warrants in raids on gambling companies in Italy and abroad run by the 'Ndrangheta mafia organization.

Police believe the firms, including six that were operating out of Malta, were used to launder vast sums of illicit cash.

Italy's mafia groups, including the 'Ndrangheta from the southern region of Calabria, the Camorra from Naples and Sicily's Cosa Nostra, have strengthened their grip on southern Italy's economy and spread to the richer north during a three-year economic slump.

Among the targets of Wednesday's operation were 1,500 betting shops, 82 gambling websites, 45 Italian companies and 11 foreign firms, as well as "innumerable" property assets, the financial police said in a statement.

Apart from the firms run from Malta, two were in Spain, two in Romania and one in Austria.

The Calabrian mafia has grown rich on the drugs trade, becoming one of Europe's biggest importers of South American cocaine, with strong ties to Mexican and Colombian cartels.

It also runs companies in sectors including trucking and hospitality, with a stranglehold on the economy of Calabria, where unemployment is above 20 percent.
    ($1 = 0.9146 euros)

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/italian-po...125536355.html

Load Metric
    Since there are a lot of legal gaming companies based in Malta, I'm curious if any big names are involved in this.

Load Metric
    i find it hard to believe that anywhere close to 2.2 BILLION DOLLARS in assets were seized

has there ever been a seizure of more than a billion dollars before?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    i find it hard to believe that anywhere close to 2.2 BILLION DOLLARS in assets were seized

Dunno about a billion or more, but there was $100 million seized from Los Angeles' Fashion District last year. Money launderers for El Chapo and the Sinaloas:

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/new...istrict-net-0/

$250 million once was seized in Mexico City from a Chinese dude that imported meth chemicals for production and export to U.S. Around 2007 or so..Zenli Ye Gon (??) He was a Vegas baller on top of all that, too..

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post

I'm curious about that as well, and I can't find anything close to a billion.

How much is 54 tons of marijuana worth? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Train_Seizure

EDIT: Here's one for supposedly 750 million Euro in cocaine, but you know how authorities like to inflate street values when making these busts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Seabight

Load Metric
    54 tons of dope seized in 1978 was probably $50 million (guessing $500/pound wholesale bulk)

"Among the targets of Wednesday's operation were 1,500 betting shops, 82 gambling websites, 45 Italian companies and 11 foreign firms, as well as "innumerable" property assets, the financial police said in a statement."

This two billion seized in Europe was spread out among a vast number of properties. The Chinese meth guy in Mexico City's seizure was far more impressive because it was hundreds of millions in cash in one single building. It even brings Walter White to shame:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhenli_Ye_Gon
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Here's one for supposedly 750 million Euro in cocaine, but you know how authorities like to inflate street values when making these busts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Seabight

I instantly Googled '1 Billion Dollar Seizure' when Willie posted that question, and that was a top 5 listing on page 1

just about the same moment I saw the article, my first thought was instantly 'obv Thomas will be posting this exact link within a few milliseconds'

congratulations on having a rudimentary understanding for basic search engine navigation

Load Metric
    I'm always floored by the sheer magnitude of some of these operations.

Always been fascinated by organized crime. 'Ndrangheta is especially compelling.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Benford View Post
    The Chinese meth guy in Mexico City's seizure was far more impressive because it was hundreds of millions in cash in one single building. It even brings Walter White to shame:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhenli_Ye_Gon
    I must admit: I almost jizzed seeing this pic.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    I must admit: I almost jizzed seeing this pic.
    Here's a 20-second video and a better look. Well over two full tons weight (over 4,000 lbs) of $100 bills:

http://www.snotr.com/video/367/207_million_dollars

Thread Information