Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: White trash Maine breakfast diner owner versus inconsiderate parents -- whose side are you on?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

White trash Maine breakfast diner owner versus inconsiderate parents -- whose side are you on?

Usually I have a strong opinion about customer service issues, but this story is leaving people divided regarding whose side to take.

Background:

In Portland, Maine (where I will actually be visiting shortly), there's a breakfast place called Marcy's Diner. The owner is a brash, white trashy woman named Darla Neugebauer.

Let's just say that professionalism and softspokenness are not qualities which you would associate with her.

The collision course was in place when Tara Carson, her husband, and their 2-year-old child visited the diner. The Carsons are from New York, and were visiting Portland. I read a recent blog about the incident from Tara, and she strikes me as a bit oversensitive and perhaps the type of parent afraid to discipline her child.

The restaurant was very busy (it was a Saturday morning), and service was slow. The 2-year-old was making a lot of noise and fussing during the 40-minute wait for the food to arrive.

Darla approached the Carsons' table, didn't identify herself, and yelled, "Either she goes or you go!"

Tara Carson claimed she didn't know that was the owner, and thought it was just a rude patron. The 2-year-old kept crying, and Darla approached the table again, pointing her finger at the 2-year-old and yelling, "You need to shut the hell up!"

Tara's husband kind of acted like a bitch in the situation, simply asking, "Are you serious? Are you really yelling at a toddler right now?” Tara then told her 2-year-old daughter, "This is how we're raising you NOT to be!" (lol what???)

Here is Tara's account of the situation, which has mostly been verified by Darla the owner: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...what-happened/

Tara decided to come home and post a complaint on the Marcy's Diner facebook page:

Darla responded with a rambling answer, oddly enough focusing on the fact that the family ordered 3 pancakes for a 2-year-old:

She then followed up the next day, claiming that the Carsons let their child scream for over 30 minutes, and it was bothering the other diners:

Here is the Facebook page. Tara's original post has been deleted (not sure if by Tara or Darla): https://www.facebook.com/marcysdiner?fref=ts

Oddly enough, the reaction to this is pretty much split down the middle -- at least on the Facebook page, which now has 41,000+ likes. Some feel that Darla was uncouth white trash who had the nerve to scream in the face of someone else's child. Others applauded Darla's actions, expressing frustration with inconsiderate parents who let their unruly children ruin meals for everyone else.

My conclusions:

- Owner Darla is indeed uncouth white trash, and she had no right to scream "Shut the hell up!" in the face of someone else's 2-year-old. Like, seriously, someone should have smacked her for that, or at the very least, gotten right back in her face.

- From Tara's own account, she strikes me as someone with a passive, touchy-feely parenting style, who is afraid to disciline her kid. Benjamin is 4 and has always generally behaved well in restaurants, but like all young children, he's had a few bad moments. However, I have never just sat there and allowed him to act up. In the case of a 2-year-old (who often can't be reasoned with or convinced to calm down), you need to take the kid out and stop them from disturbing other people. Even if it's raining, you need to find somewhere to go to where the disturbance stops, especially if it's prolonged. I believe the claim that the kid was making a fuss for a long time, and I believe that's what set Darla off, as she got the (probably correct) impression that the parents didn't give a shit.

- Darla should have approached the Carsons, calmly identified herself as the owner, and asked them to take the kid outside if she continued to cry. "Either she goes, or you go" is a classless way to approach the situation, especially without even identifying yourself as the owner.

- Tara's husband acted like a bitch. When someone yells "You need to shut the hell up!" in your kid's face, you need to respond a bit more than, "Really? You're going to yell at a child?" And Tara's response of, "This is how we're raising you not to be" was also kind of lame. When someone treats your kid like that in their place of business, you need to stand up, make a scene, and make sure everyone else in the restaurant hears about what just happened.

- Darla's "3 pancake" rant is LOL. Who gives a shit if they ordered 3 pancakes for the kid? More money for Darla, then. This woman isn't right in the head, and definitely shouldn't be running a restaurant where she has to deal with customers. Reminds me of the Soup Nazi.

Overall I think both sides had fault here, but Darla the owner was far more in the wrong. It's just never okay to yell in the face of someone else's 2 year old. I hope one day this woman gets smacked for doing something like this.

Load Metric
    There was a big discussion on this on Yelp. The synopsis was that everyone hates loud kids and the parents need to be curbed. Outside of a 'kid friendly' establishment like a Mcdonalds or Chuck E Cheese, this shit don't fly.

Comments

LLL: Correct.

ToasterOven: correct

ThreeBet: Correct

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Darla says she coulda got physical, LMAO. A business owner talking about getting physical with paying customers. How can anyone take her side? She's lucky the husband is a "bitch" and that he didn't knock her the fuck out.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    There was a big discussion on this on Yelp. The synopsis was that everyone hates loud kids and the parents need to be curbed. Outside of a 'kid friendly' establishment like a Mcdonalds or Chuck E Cheese, this shit don't fly.
    I agree with this, but you can't say that the owner handled this correctly by screaming in the kid's face.

Go up to the parents and say, "Hi, I'm the owner. Your child is making too much noise and our other patrons are unhappy. Can you please take her outside or get her to stop making so much noise?"

And then if it continues, ask the family to leave.

Nobody would be questioning everything if that's how it went down.

Comments

lol wow: dont snark me dangiel

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    I agree with this, but you can't say that the owner handled this correctly by screaming in the kid's face.

Going up to the parents and saying, "Hi, I'm the owner. Your child is making too much noise and our other patrons are unhappy. Can you please take her outside or get her to stop making so much noise?"

And then if it continues, ask the family to leave.

Nobody would be questioning everything if that's how it went down.
    I wasn't there, I didn't see it so i'm not gonna pass judgement on how it was handled, a lot of shit in stories like this get misconstrued. At the end of the day it's the business owners property and can refuse service to anyone, even though kicking out paying customers is probably not very good for business.

If it were me, and it never will be, I would have offered them like a free dessert or gift card to come back if they get their shit boxed up and fuck off on the now tip.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Parents were wrong for letting kid scream, owner was wrong in how she approached them. Pretty fucking simple.

Load Metric
    fuck whining snot nosed kids with sticky syrup fingers.

Load Metric
    Guess yall have never been on an airplane with a screaming toddler. I always seem to be seated next seat.

Comments

Shizzmoney: it should be illegal to have children on red eye flights from LA, FLA, or LV

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    - Tara's husband acted like a bitch. When someone yells "You need to shut the hell up!" in your kid's face, you need to respond a bit more than, "Really? You're going to yell at a child?" And Tara's response of, "This is how we're raising you not to be" was also kind of lame. When someone treats your kid like that in their place of business, you need to stand up, make a scene, and make sure everyone else in the restaurant hears about what just happened.
    This is why America is going into the shitter. Most Americans take it up the ass with a smile, and teach their children to do so as well.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    To Druff's point, why the fuck would the owner care if they ordered three pancakes. How are they supposed to know the grill is not big enough? If they are on the menu, they are on the menu. I don't see how any customer can reasonably determine if a grill is large enough for a menu item. Besides why is it the customer's fault to order an item? It would have been up to the server to suggest to the customer the grill was not large enough during peak hours.

Both are wrong here. The parents because they are fucking obtuse to the surroundings, and the owner who is obnoxious. She looks like someone that cuts many corners in her restaurant. If I were ever in her restaurant I'd do in the plumbing industry what is called a "reversal" to where the next person who took a shit it would back up into the dishwasher.

Comments

Dan Druff: lol

superallah: nice.

phantom: reversal

big dick: Back to zero

Load Metric
    lol portland dangiel kennebunkport if youre going maine also earth restaurant there is real

Banned
    Load Metric
    First of all...

why exactly is 'Marcy's Diner' owned and operated by a woman named Darla ?

with that said...

Gonna have to side with Darla based upon the sheer brutality and raw venomous tone of that unapologetic, epic verbal beatdown. Would love to buy this woman a beer and congratulate her for a job well done.

also, because there's nothing worse than a screaming, crying, snot nosed little whiny fuck, to ruin an otherwise enjoyable dining experience

Tara and her weak ass excuse of a husband are either totally oblivious, or simply don't give enough shits to make an attempt to muzzle their offspring, and apparently have zero concern whatsoever regarding the other patrons right to peace and quiet.

Lastly, because Tara can't even type the word 'ass' in her comment, which tells me both she and her white bread limp dick husband are both self righteous Jesus heads who deserved to get slapped

Oh and Tara, the next time you let your hubby shoot a fat load inside your stanky ass meat flaps, seriously consider an abortion, or at the very least, secure your retarded whiny mutant child

Try wrapping up Damien the demon baby with a couple bungee cords and electrical tape in a locked basement or closet, and then enjoy your blueberry pancakes

Comments

Pooh: 100%

ToasterOven: this

phantom: hof

ThreeBet: lol

big dick: you have a way with words

Banned
    Load Metric
    I also hate being around kids in restaurants, theaters, planes, etc. But you don't scream at someone else's child. Scream at the parents if you must.

Everyone in this story sucks. There is no one to side with.

Comments

Dan Druff: 100%... when i was done reading this, i hated everyone involved

Load Metric
    druff can you scream at your pepsi addicted child right now for me

Load Metric
    and then go on a rant about how halt and catch fires bbs technology isnt being portrayed right and how you knew what it was like pre aol

Load Metric
    seriously berate that child of yours

Comments

Dan Druff: 3 consecutive posts of awful is my limit

Load Metric
    While crying children is the worst, of course the white trash owner is in the wrong.

If I had a kid and some trailer park cunt came up and yelled in his/her face, I think any reaction (save for violence) is understandable. Is she supposed to reason with this sun-baked alcoholic?

While the rich cunt comes off as somewhat sanctimonious, the owner (LOL) of this fine diner is deeply in the wrong.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Druff, you weren't there. You don't know if the hero really got in that little fucks face but I hope she did because crying kids suck n-word balls.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    First of all...

why exactly is 'Marcy's Diner' owned and operated by a woman named Darla ?

with that said...

Gonna have to side with Darla based upon the sheer brutality and raw venomous tone of that unapologetic, epic verbal beatdown. Would love to buy this woman a beer and congratulate her for a job well done.

also, because there's nothing worse than a screaming, crying, snot nosed little whiny fuck, to ruin an otherwise enjoyable dining experience

Tara and her weak ass excuse of a husband are either totally oblivious, or simply don't give enough shits to make an attempt to muzzle their offspring, and apparently have zero concern whatsoever regarding the other patrons right to peace and quiet.

Lastly, because Tara can't even type the word 'ass' in her comment, which tells me both she and her white bread limp dick husband are both self righteous Jesus heads who deserved to get slapped

Oh and Tara, the next time you let your hubby shoot a fat load inside your stanky ass meat flaps, seriously consider an abortion, or at the very least, secure your retarded whiny mutant child

Try wrapping up Damien the demon baby with a couple bungee cords and electrical tape in a locked basement or closet, and then enjoy your blueberry pancakes
    Yeah but come on Jewdonk you are leaving major factors out of the story. First the business owner needs to add customers and now patrons might be afraid to be accosted by the owner if they go in there. Personally I would not frequent a place where the owner goes out of their way to embarrass patrons. If she had went over there and calmly asked them to go outside that would have been different, but she went over there in a hypo agro manner and made everyone else uncomfortable.

There are many elements to the story you may not be aware of. It's not important. For whatever reason you keep speaking to Tara and she is not a member here as an FYI. So Tara is not reading this. Maybe you should friend her on Facebook

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    Druff, you weren't there. You don't know if the hero really got in that little fucks face but I hope she did because crying kids suck n-word balls.
    Read the owner's responses. She admitted it.

Thread Information