Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Running an Android Streaming Box W/ KODI?

Load Metric

Anyone Running an Android Streaming Box W/ KODI?

Security concerns?

Piracy concerns?

My buddy had this set up on his Fire TV and the interface looked pretty slick. I guess Amazon ditched the Kodi app over piracy concerns, but you can still side load it. He said there was no built in VPN and that he didn't use one which I thought was maybe a little sketchy.

After we left his house, we ran into some yahoos at the OC Fair (sick brag) that were selling pre-loaded Android boxes for 299.00!!! Not paying that obv, but curious if anyone has experience with this type of set up.

Load Metric
    I'm surprised that with all of the folks who stream UFC fights and download torrents that there isn't any input on this.

I played around with this on an Android phone today. If you don't know what Kodi is it's an open source media center http://kodi.tv/about/ . Didn't really read up on security or piracy, but the interface is pretty clean and intuitive. I was able to stream Ant Man after setting up the add-on loader and downloading a few add-ons. Also checked out some of the sports and live tv options and it looks pretty comprehensive.

Looks like the piracy concern is probably the same as if you are using any other torrent client.

Load Metric
    So it's a media player? Why this and not winamp or whatever else (windows media center)? Why do you need a streaming box from home to your phone? I'm just confused.

Banned
    Load Metric
    It's a media center that compiles a bunch of sites like mash up, project free tv and all that shit. you really don't need kodi but I guess it just looks nice.

You could just get a hdmi cable and plug it in to your laptop and your TV and click the same link on the same site and do all the same shit.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    So it's a media player? Why this and not winamp or whatever else (windows media center)? Why do you need a streaming box from home to your phone? I'm just confused.
    I'm not a tech person so probably just describing this incorrectly. It's a media player that functions like a Roku box or Apple TV. I just loaded it on the phone because it was an Android phone and it seems that's the preferred OS for getting content. The add-ons are like Roku channels that have been developed by third parties. So basically I turned the phone into a Roku box that can stream live TV, pirated content, and a ton of other totally legal content as well.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post
    It's a media center that compiles a bunch of sites like mash up, project free tv and all that shit. you really don't need kodi but I guess it just looks nice.

You could just get a hdmi cable and plug it in to your laptop and your TV and click the same link on the same site and do all the same shit.
    Exactly, it aggregates the content into a nice interface. What was initially interesting to me is that you can load it onto a Fire Stick or other Android box instead of going the laptop route and searching for links/streams.

Not really an earth shattering product as far as content, but for people considering cutting the cord, this seems like a decent clean looking option.

Load Metric

Load Metric
    I imagine they make these streaming boxes for strictly autistic consumers, because I simply have never seen a normal person with one of these in their house.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Name:  298_379_RETARD.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  8.6 KB

Load Metric
    does it stream mkv?
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    does it stream mkv?

It lists mkv as a supported format.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Features_and_supported_formats

Comments

sonatine: oh *shit*

Load Metric
    got the win version and the android remote, will install tomorrow and test vs my jriver pos setup.

Comments

gauchojake: good lookin' out

sonatine: monitoring

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
    I imagine they make these streaming boxes for strictly autistic consumers, because I simply have never seen a normal person with one of these in their house.
    You'd have to be autistic to miss how awesome these boxes are.

You can stream every movie, every tv show without dealing with Torrents.

There is also a ton of other content. Makes your cable look autistic

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Security concerns?

Piracy concerns?

My buddy had this set up on his Fire TV and the interface looked pretty slick. I guess Amazon ditched the Kodi app over piracy concerns, but you can still side load it. He said there was no built in VPN and that he didn't use one which I thought was maybe a little sketchy.

After we left his house, we ran into some yahoos at the OC Fair (sick brag) that were selling pre-loaded Android boxes for 299.00!!! Not paying that obv, but curious if anyone has experience with this type of set up.
    You can install it on any device really, then you want to add the TV Addons which are basically front ends to all the streaming sites like icefilms which are basically content aggregators for the locker sites.

Its a real problem for the content creators because you have everything ever created right there at your fingertips.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Security concerns?

Piracy concerns?

You can install it on any device really, then you want to add the TV Addons which are basically front ends to all the streaming sites like icefilms which are basically content aggregators for the locker sites.

Its a real problem for the content creators because you have everything ever created right there at your fingertips.
    I'm thinking about just grabbing a 60.00 android box to play around with it. The phone is a little slow and the family is always on the laptops/tablets. Thanks for the input.

Load Metric
    real talk if they can really stream mkv effectively they just deaded the competition.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post

I'm thinking about just grabbing a 60.00 android box to play around with it. The phone is a little slow and the family is always on the laptops/tablets. Thanks for the input.
    just buy a firestick for $39. you can load kodi on it.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    real talk if they can really stream mkv effectively they just deaded the competition.
    Who the fuck has raw copies of movies any more these days?

You can go to the Kodi page to see if the software can do it. You can run it on any hardware.

These boxes, loaded with all the add-ons is pretty bad-ass assuming you have a hardwired connection to the box.

Takes the cutting-the-cord hipster movement to a whole new level.

Pretty much everything that was ever created can be streamed. The community around Kodi and the bootleg add-ons are just hardcore content thieves that never rest. I don't know how they are going to stop it but unless you want really high quality sources I dk why anyone would torrent.

There are subtitles also if you are like me and like to read every movie you watch.

Load Metric
    I use plex to stream my media. I illegally download all my media. I still have cable cause I'm not broke. I need sports live. Until espn comes out with their own app/network type thing, I will have cable. And fuck "WatchESPN"

I stream to my television via Chromecast, or just HDMI. I use my phone or tablet. Plex is the shit but I'm sure most of you know about plex. I don't pay for plex pass.

Thread Information