Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: poker advice

Load Metric
    The best poker advice is get a drug problem, it's cheaper.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    After thinking about this spot a little more I would like to revise and extend my remarks.

I think it is dependent on the other small stack sizes. If there are smaller stacks that will bust the next time through the blinds or even if they double or triple up you would still be ahead of them you should consider folding AK here.

So early in position, you are probably getting a couple of calls from the largest stacks just to get rid of you. Likely your win % is well less then 50%.
    5 were busting in 1/3 rotations.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thesparten View Post

12 spots being paid wIth 20 people left and 5 only had a couple of bb...

My mistake was not shoving.. I kinda wanted it both ways.. I froze..

Next time in that position il just shove and let it work itself out.
    You are so far away from the money in that case because 20 left with 12 spots to be paid means just over 3 tables so it's not like 8 people are going to bounce out of the tournament compared to something where say 63 or more places pay which so many tables still left meaning more hands going on for people to continue to drop out of the tournament.

Shove that AK all day! Even if your intent is not wanting to miss out on a min cash which it shouldn't be for mtts you are just so far away from cashing you need 40% of the field left to bust and that could take even a few blind levels for it to happen.

Next time in similar scenario don't just shove in that position with the AK on 10bbs shove it from any position unless maybe it's the stonecold bubble needing one guy to bust who is holding out 2bbs then you can re-evaluate how much the min cash means to you.

jsearles- This isn't a 100% correct grammar thread/forum when something so little in comparison to what I posted is extremely irrelevant here. I could go brutalize several of your posts too if I wanted but what is the point?
    Nothing but respect from me......

5 guys only had a blind or 2 and one didn't even gave a full blind left.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Playing a 10$ tourny for over 3 hours..

I'm above average stack and 4 from bubble.. Got pocket jacks 1 spot b4 button..

I raise 3x big blind. Button folds and sb folds..

Bb calls. Around same stack as me.

The flop 10/8/5 off..

I bet pot!..bb goes all in.

I'm thinking high pair, possible straight or low picket pair and floped a set..

I call. It was a possible straight and I got beat by the river.

Question? Should I have folded unless absolute nuts and gotten in money or did I do the wrong thing??

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

32,000 views FTW

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

The flop 10/8/5 off..

Question? Should I have folded unless absolute nuts and gotten in money or did I do the wrong thing??
    The video was good china, I listened too it twice!;

Can u be a little more specific.. I ve come a long way in the last year . need help from my pfa friends to go to next level...

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric

The flop 10/8/5 off..

WTF did the guy have? 67? So folding JJ in that spot is a good move?

Think about that for a minute and you have your answer.

Comments

thesparten: at least my game is improving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric

The flop 10/8/5 off..

If you fold here you're fucking retarded. Don't let bad beats dictate your play. If anything you should be stepping it up at the bubble to increase your stack, especially for a 10$ tourney. Hell even if it is a 10k tourney you should be playing to win. We play to win, not to min!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nunbeater View Post

The flop 10/8/5 off..

If you fold here you're fucking retarded. Don't let bad beats dictate your play. If anything you should be stepping it up at the bubble to increase your stack, especially for a 10$ tourney. Hell even if it is a 10k tourney you should be playing to win. We play to win, not to min!
    Thanks brother...

I was thinking the same thing. Just needed someone to validate...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

The flop 10/8/5 off..

Without knowing the blinds and stack information it's really hard to give you proper feedback but I will say in the later stages in tournaments if you are 3x the BB for your raise if nobody has entered the pot yet (limped in) then you are doing it wrong.

As played you have to get the money in on the flop by betting and call off to a shove. You got it in good and lost on the river what else can you do? Fold and let the guy exploit you because you're holding out for a cash? If that is the case then you shouldn't enter another pot until you get into the money but that is the wrong way to play tournament poker.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

The flop 10/8/5 off..

Without knowing the blinds and stack information it's really hard to give you proper feedback but I will say in the later stages in tournaments if you are 3x the BB for your raise if nobody has entered the pot yet (limped in) then you are doing it wrong.

As played you have to get the money in on the flop by betting and call off to a shove. You got it in good and lost on the river what else can you do? Fold and let the guy exploit you because you're holding out for a cash? If that is the case then you shouldn't enter another pot until you get into the money but that is the wrong way to play tournament poker.
    I understand and agree with the 2nd paragraph..

Can u please elaborate on the first..

It was late stage. 4 from bubbke. I had 63k. He had 67k. I think the blinds were 1.5k/3k.. Sometimes people force u to play there bingo. Or fold..

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric

Thanks brother...

I was thinking the same thing. Just needed someone to validate...
    Genuinely, have you studied poker at all from a book or training site? Even good 'ole Sklansky's Theory of Poker would be a help if you have to ask this question (also if you buy a copy it keeps him in Dildos).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    No offence sparten but showing AK 10BB deep is so basic poker knowledge Im kinda surprised you made it as far in the tournament as you did.
    Must be 10 years ago since I saw a similar poker related question lol

Comments

thesparten: nobody plays ant more couse of all the left behinds and nits
    Slava Ukraini!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    im just toooo focused breaking the bubble when I get there...

I started playing poker after bf...I enjoy poker very much its entertaining, its also very meditative.. I have! increased my skills "comparitavly"

theres one thing many people are on the same page about....

ITS THE NITS RUINING THE GAME. SO THANKS FOR THE ADVISE TOO MANY OF YOU AND THE REST, YOUR OBVIUOSY SELF LOATHING ANAL RETENTIVE NITS WITH AN INFIERIORITY COMPLEX REGARDLES TO YOUR WITHDRAWELS FROM POKER SITES OR OTHERWISE.

Comments

adamantium: play PLO, double the fun

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    i actually cash and win micro tournaments quit often, I just use my"profit" to challenge myself on the next level.. sitting there grinding pennies isn't my thing. I would like to earn a level of comfertability on higher tables..

they also say that u should play at a level where it stings if u lose but doesn't hurt..i don't need poker to pay my morgatge. all hobbies cost money, poker is no different. some of you guys goto get out more often....at least have some more balance. you miserable people, lol.

Load Metric
    i actually cash and win micro tournaments quit often, I just use my"profit" to challenge myself on the next level.. sitting there grinding pennies isn't my thing. I would like to earn a level of comfertability on higher tables..

they also say that u should play at a level where it stings if u lose but doesn't hurt..i don't need poker to pay my morgatge. all hobbies cost money, poker is no different. some of you guys goto get out more often....at least have some more balance. you miserable people, lol.
    how did you end up on this forum?
    Slava Ukraini!

Banned
    Load Metric

The flop 10/8/5 off..

nailed it

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post

nailed it
    Marty have you stopped playing or are you still playing daily?
    Slava Ukraini!

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantium View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post

nailed it
    Marty have you stopped playing or are you still playing daily?

haven't been playing that much other than the Big 11 60K Guaranteed a few days a week

lots of spin and go's in the afternoon and evening (because the MTT selection after noon on the west coast is pretty sparse)

I try to play a few MTT's on Sundays like the Bigger 11, Sunday Storm, and maybe a couple of the smaller guaranteed prize pool rebuy tourneys

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I understand and agree with the 2nd paragraph..

Can u please elaborate on the first..

It was late stage. 4 from bubbke. I had 63k. He had 67k. I think the blinds were 1.5k/3k.. Sometimes people force u to play there bingo. Or fold..
    Whenever you post a hand for advice it's important to include all the information about what the stacks are and blinds to get the best answer possible because all of this can come into play.

At higher blind levels usually right before the ante comes into play if you are making it 3x the BB preflop coming into the pot unless everyone is really deep like 50bb or something this is excessive. Most players who win at MTTs are opening for anywhere between a min raise to 2.5x which even 2.5bbs is on the higher side. Their are a a lot of reasons which I can't get into all of them right now but it's mostly to control the pot size having the maneuverability to play the hand in various ways and in shallow stack poker a lot of times you will get the steal through which is what you want to accomplish when stealing blinds risking the minimum to win them while staying balanced with your bigger hands too.

In this hand if you were to get re-raised (3bet) preflop are you folding? You shouldn't be folding JJ here imo and if you did come in for a min raise pre (assuming nobody has limped in) their is a chance the pot don't have to be bloated to all in on the flop which in this it's better you do get it in there but I'm just speaking in general.

For 21BBs you should be willing to stack off here and when you say 4 off the bubble not that this impacts the decision completely but same with the AK hand how many places are paying here? If we are talking about 12 places paying like in that hand this is still a long way from cashing since you need 25% of the field left to bust to get paid.

Thread Information