Thread: Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix final is tonight

Load Metric

Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix final is tonight

Looks like a good card especially Milendez vs Thompson and the main will prove whether or not Cormier is for real or just a giant wrestler.

streams if you don't have Showtime which I don't
    http://www.vipbox.tv/sports/ufc.html

Name:  Strikeforce - Barnett vs. Cormier.png
Views: 950
Size:  149.2 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Def looking to see what Cormier can do with Barnett. Thanks for the link.
    Of all the money e'er I had, I spent it in good company

Load Metric
    Just ordered showtime. Usually grab it the day of the fights, cancel it tuesday or wednesday or whenever I remember. Works out to about 2.50 on the cable bill. Well worthwhile.

8 PM EST the prelims start on Showtime Xtreme or whatever its called.

I gotta think Gilbert is a mortal lock here. With the heavyweights, I want to pick Cormier, but Josh Barnett... I have a Melendez-Cormier parlay going, but not with the greatest of confidence.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Just ordered showtime. Usually grab it the day of the fights, cancel it tuesday or wednesday or whenever I remember. Works out to about 2.50 on the cable bill. Well worthwhile.

8 PM EST the prelims start on Showtime Xtreme or whatever its called.

I gotta think Gilbert is a mortal lock here. With the heavyweights, I want to pick Cormier, but Josh Barnett... I have a Melendez-Cormier parlay going, but not with the greatest of confidence.
    I agree. Nice catch on that Ariel Helwani tweet about Jones getting a dui too.

Load Metric
    Odds makers have this as even. I think there is a ton of money to be made on barnett here.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Odds makers have this as even. I think there is a ton of money to be made on barnett here.
    I agree. I think Barnett is a lock here. Same with Melendez.

I just can't see either losing although we all know anything can happen.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    He's lighter than he's been at any time recently, even if only by a few lbs. If he can use his reach advantage well, he should be good, you would think, but BigFoot couldn't so it with a much larger advantage. Cormier ain't easy to hit, he's strong as fuck, and Barnett won't likely be taking him down very often if at all. AFAIK, he doesn't have any TUE for test, so the Japan advantage doesn't apply here. Barnett has a big submission advantage I think, but he probably won't often have Cormier in a position where he can use them very often. Intangibles mostly go to Barnett, for historical bad-assed reasons.

I think the Warmaster goes to sleep tonight. I almost can't believe I think that. But I do.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Little off topic but my buddy Marina has her first professional fight in Mass tomorrow.

Name:  marina.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  223.5 KB

My bet is she will be in StrikeForce within the next 8-12 months. One bad bitch right here.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTemplar View Post
    Little off topic but my buddy Marina has her first professional fight in Mass tomorrow.

My bet is she will be in StrikeForce within the next 8-12 months. One bad bitch right here.
    Needs to be a new rule, submission by licking.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post

Needs to be a new rule, submission by licking.
    Name:  cheers.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  78.5 KB

Load Metric
    Great fucking fight. I think that Milendez did win but holy shit Thompson fucked his face up.

Load Metric
    Cormier is real deal. Looking amazing. This guy would likely be world champ if he competed at earlier age.

Load Metric
    Cormier is real deal. Looking amazing. This guy would likely be world champ if he competed at earlier age.
    The Barnett everyone knows and loves is the UFC 36/Japanese MMA Barnett. Hard to get older and have less chemical tools at your disposal and still be dominant. Barnett's still awesome to watch and beats most in the world, but not the best in the world, and Cormier is one of those, it seems.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Winner by Arm Bar. 44 Seconds into the first round.

Name:  fight.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  77.3 KB

Load Metric
    she wouldn't have to twist my arm.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    she wouldn't have to twist my arm.

Load Metric
    The Barnett everyone knows and loves is the UFC 36/Japanese MMA Barnett. Hard to get older and have less chemical tools at your disposal and still be dominant. Barnett's still awesome to watch and beats most in the world, but not the best in the world, and Cormier is one of those, it seems.
    Barnett has always struggled against the HW elite, I was surprised to see how many people picked him over Cormier in this thread, Cormier is just a far superior athlete, I think he dominated a prime Barnett as well. Cormier is a huge HW threat, hopefully he moves over to the UFC, there's nothing left for him in strikeforce.
    How did you guys score the Melendez fight? I thought Thomson won a very close decision, but it's another fight where its hard to pick either way and it's impossible to be too upet with the judges. I also think Melendez is overrated, I don't think he's a to 5 guy in the UFC.

Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    Great fucking fight. I think that Milendez did win but holy shit Thompson fucked his face up.
    did you give rounds 1-3 to Melendez? I thought he won 1 and 2, 3 was a draw IMO but because no judges ever score rounds a draw and if I have to give it to someone I thought Thomson won it and I gave 4 and 5 clearly to Thomson. I also wish MMA would do away with the round by round system, it's a terrible way to score a fight. Pride had a better scoring system back in the day. The fighter that does more damage and comes closer to finishing over the total fight should win, there should be no other way to score an mma fight.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by peter mcneil View Post

Barnett has always struggled against the HW elite, I was surprised to see how many people picked him over Cormier in this thread, Cormier is just a far superior athlete, I think he dominated a prime Barnett as well. Cormier is a huge HW threat, hopefully he moves over to the UFC, there's nothing left for him in strikeforce.
    How did you guys score the Melendez fight? I thought Thomson won a very close decision, but it's another fight where its hard to pick either way and it's impossible to be too upet with the judges. I also think Melendez is overrated, I don't think he's a to 5 guy in the UFC.

Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    did you give rounds 1-3 to Melendez? I thought he won 1 and 2, 3 was a draw IMO but because no judges ever score rounds a draw and if I have to give it to someone I thought Thomson won it and I gave 4 and 5 clearly to Thomson. I also wish MMA would do away with the round by round system, it's a terrible way to score a fight. Pride had a better scoring system back in the day. The fighter that does more damage and comes closer to finishing over the total fight should win, there should be no other way to score an mma fight.
    I thought it was too close to call without hard numbers and was pretty sure even though I thought Thompson took it, especially with the late takedown at the end - that the judges were counting points and not just the overall condition of the guy at the end. So here you go:

Name:  Gil-Thomson_striking.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  114.8 KB

Interactive doohickey here: http://blog.fightmetric.com/2012/05/...-official.html

Thread Information