Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Confederate Flag controversy

Load Metric

Confederate Flag controversy

Thoughts? What side of this debate are you on? Personally I feel the flag and everything that goes along with it promotes racist undertones, at a minimum. It has no place flying over a state building. It represents the Civil War, which was a battle over the right to own slaves.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Name:  confederate clinton button.png
Views: 570
Size:  156.0 KB

Load Metric
    Thinking about starting up a store selling the flags since Amazon and Walmart are pulling them.

Load Metric
    I always figured it was for red neck n-word haters. Besides that I really have no other opinions either good or bad.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    If something offends someone you should try your best not to do that thing however people have rights as well.

I think the flag symbolizing slave ownership is absolute BUNK but rather it became a symbol because slave owners flew it. It was not a flag made to represent slave ownership, it evolved and became a symbol to their enemies. Then those racist folk decided to adopt it as well to represent their hatred.

So I understand some families respect it because it symbolized a fight against big government and some because they are racist and like the message it may send in that respect. But do not be fooled, the flag in no way was made and the civil war in NO way began because of slavery. I think far too many Americans fail to realize their own history with any great degree of accuracy.

This is a quote from civilwar.org which best sums up my point.

The outbreak of the Civil War forever changed the future of the American nation. The war began as a struggle to preserve the Union, not a struggle to free the slaves, but many in the North and South felt that the conflict would ultimately decide both issues.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    If something offends someone you should try your best not to do that thing however people have rights as well.

I think the flag symbolizing slave ownership is absolute BUNK but rather it became a symbol because slave owners flew it. It was not a flag made to represent slave ownership, it evolved and became a symbol to their enemies. Then those racist folk decided to adopt it as well to represent their hatred.

So I understand some families respect it because it symbolized a fight against big government and some because they are racist and like the message it may send in that respect. But do not be fooled, the flag in no way was made and the civil war in NO way began because of slavery. I think far too many Americans fail to realize their own history with any great degree of accuracy.

This is a quote from civilwar.org which best sums up my point.

The outbreak of the Civil War forever changed the future of the American nation. The war began as a struggle to preserve the Union, not a struggle to free the slaves, but many in the North and South felt that the conflict would ultimately decide both issues.

I like this quote better: "The war had its origin in the fractious issue of slavery, especially the extension of slavery into the western territories.[N 1] After four years of combat, which left over 600,000 Union and Confederate soldiers dead and destroyed much of the South's infrastructure, the Confederacy collapsed and slavery was abolished. Then began the Reconstruction and the processes of restoring national unity and guaranteeing civil rights to the freed slaves."
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Banned
    Load Metric
    I'll Godwin this thread up with a lazy analogy.

You could argue that the Nazi flag has a more nuanced meaning and context than simply being a symbol of racism and genocide, and you wouldn't be wrong. Even so, anybody hanging one up on their house or slapping the sticker on their truck is 99% of the time going to be some sort of white supremacist shitbag.

Comments

adamantium: 99.999%

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Two issues with the start of that quote, it is from Wikipedia/Media and secondly it is NOT accurate.

It is the lie we have been fed, the war started because the lower States did not want the man in their business, period no matter what it was. As mentioned slavery was perhaps one of those things but not the main or only reason, sorry.

That is why your wiki quote says "origin in" because they cannot flat out lie and say because of.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    The united negro collage fund seems racists may as well rid of that to

Load Metric
    It's weird how it all came cascading down this week. It was like a snowball. I think the United States has been pretty patient in allowing states to fly the actual symbol of open rebellion to the union for 150 years.

Comments

bukowski72: The only strated flying it in the 50s when they wanted to scare black people when they were starting to get rights

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    I'll Godwin this thread up with a lazy analogy.

You could argue that the Nazi flag has a more nuanced meaning and context than simply being a symbol of racism and genocide, and you wouldn't be wrong. Even so, anybody hanging one up on their house or slapping the sticker on their truck is 99% of the time going to be some sort of white supremacist shitbag.

I agree 100% with you and know the origin of that symbol is MUCH older and had nothing to do with what we associate it with today.

However if there was an Egyptian lineage that still walked the earth and used the symbol to honor it's original purpose should they simply roll over and ditch it? Perhaps yes because not worth the trouble lol but you get my point.

There are many GOOD southern people who view the flag with pride and NOT because it allowed them to own slaves. It varied State to State but somewhere around 25-26% of households owned a slave. Many men died fighting the Union who never owned a slave and it is their fight and sacrifice that those families honor by flying that flag.

Not fighting for them here just want to be accurate about what the civil war was really about. If we had more shows about the whole truth and not "my ancestor was a slave" stuff on TLC or PBS we wouldn't all just assume it was the focus.

On the flip side I completely understand how the flag offends and know people use it to do so.
    Last edited by Tom; 06-23-2015 at 05:19 PM.

Load Metric
    The flag shouldn't fly anywhere other then some white trash meth addicts trailer

Comments

jsearles22: Tyde?

Load Metric
    Two issues with the start of that quote, it is from Wikipedia/Media and secondly it is NOT accurate.

It is the lie we have been fed, the war started because the lower States did not want the man in their business, period no matter what it was. As mentioned slavery was perhaps one of those things but not the main or only reason, sorry.

That is why your wiki quote says "origin in" because they cannot flat out lie and say because of.
    So in your opinion, what was the one main issue caused and solved by the Civil War?

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    The united negro collage fund seems racists may as well rid of that to
    obv a racist, but is the tit hairy?

Comments

Nikki: My dog is black
    Slava Ukraini!

Banned
    Load Metric
    There are many GOOD southern people who view the flag with pride and NOT because it allowed them to own slaves.
    Really? I've lived in the south my whole life and never met one. Probably because...

Quote Originally Posted by Suicide King View Post
    The flag shouldn't fly anywhere other then some white trash meth addicts trailer
    ...this is exactly where I've seen the vast majority of them.

Comments

Sloppy Joe: This. Also from the south, only redneck pieces of shit display the ol' stars and bars.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Anyway, I'm no Civil War buff, but looking over some of the states' declaration of secession, it seems to have been (at least for them) all about slavery.

http://www.civilwar.org/education/hi...qf33?context=3

Bronze
    Load Metric
    You can say slavery caused it, sure but it wasn't so much the slavery as much as the right to not allow the Union to tell them how to live.

The Union did not fight to free slaves but rather keep the Union together, slaves being set free was a biproduct.

So while you can say they did it to set slaves free it would be more accurate to say it was to force their will upon the South.

Not defending slavery at all, glad they lost of course but just trying to be more accurate.

Look at it this way, if the South said we like to eat our chunky soup with a spoon and the North said no you need to eat it with a fork. I very much doubt the North cared all that much about why they fought, more about using it as a reason to fight. The truth is the North had slaves too but because of failing industry after the war of independence they lost the taste for it because they didn't need it as much. The South got cotton gin and bang they still needed it.

Taking a moral high horse on an issue you once abused yourself simply because you don't need it anymore is a joke.

Didn't Bush want to free a bunch of people years ago, wasn't that a reason to go to war?
    Last edited by Tom; 06-23-2015 at 05:36 PM.

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Name:  ff.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  1.19 MB
    Slava Ukraini!

Load Metric
    Can anyone here imagine a wealthy family with CLASS repping that obnoxious flag? The answer to that question is a resounding NO

Comments

bukowski72: Try every rich bros family at USCarolina

Load Metric
    If 999/1000 people think a green flag with a purple unicorn is a symbol of racism, then it's a symbol of racism. No matter how accurate that flag is or what it's original intentions were it's a symbol Of racism. As such it shouldn't be flying over any municipal building.

That said you want to put it in your front yard be my guest, it's your right to do so even if it makes you a complete asshole.

Thread Information