Thread: Airline First Class Upgrades - Questions

Load Metric

Airline First Class Upgrades - Questions

I have been travelling a lot more recently and trying to wrap my head around how one gets upgraded to business/first class from couch. It seems to be inconsistent and i dont get how it works. For example, I always fly first class domestically and many times I will be sitting next to an empty seat, and right before take off, someone from couch is upgraded and sits next to me. I find this a little annoying, as I know i paid a lot more money than they did for the ticket. However, there is a HUGE difference between the price of couch and first class for international travel. So that brings me to my main question.

I am looking at flights to Japan in a few weeks. Couch is 1000-1500 for round trip and first class in around 5-6000. I am going to find it extremely annoying if I pay the 6k for first class and then someone who paid 1k for couch gets upgraded to the pod next to me. I have heard conflicting stories about international travel and that some airlines will upgrade you from couch to first class and some simply will let the seat be empty because of the unfairness of someone paying 5-6k for 1st and then having a passenger pay 1k and then get upgraded.

I am just trying to figure out my play, If 1st class seems to be empty before the flight, and upgrades are available (i dont even know how one goes about getting upgraded), then it seems to make sense to roll the dice, get economy comfort and see if I can get upgraded. If there is no chance to get upgraded on International flights then that makes the decision easier - either take some xanax and do economy comfort or just pay the high first class fees.

Any frequent travelers help me out?
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    I remember seeing a thread on 2 plus 2 about getting 50 percent off in the marketplace. Try a search there looked pretty legit. It was first class only which you are looking for.

Load Metric
    If you are at an uber frequent flyer status with an airline, are dressed for business and you paid for a top level fully refundable coach fare you have a better then average chance of being the guy they upgrade.

Load Metric
    Name of the site is "I only fly first class" Google it . Claims up to 70 percent off first class .

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    Name of the site is "I only fly first class" Google it . Claims up to 70 percent off first class .

Thanks! I filled out their form . Will see what happens

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    I have been travelling a lot more recently and trying to wrap my head around how one gets upgraded to business/first class from couch. It seems to be inconsistent and i dont get how it works. For example, I always fly first class domestically and many times I will be sitting next to an empty seat, and right before take off, someone from couch is upgraded and sits next to me. I find this a little annoying, as I know i paid a lot more money than they did for the ticket. However, there is a HUGE difference between the price of couch and first class for international travel. So that brings me to my main question.

I am looking at flights to Japan in a few weeks. Couch is 1000-1500 for round trip and first class in around 5-6000. I am going to find it extremely annoying if I pay the 6k for first class and then someone who paid 1k for couch gets upgraded to the pod next to me. I have heard conflicting stories about international travel and that some airlines will upgrade you from couch to first class and some simply will let the seat be empty because of the unfairness of someone paying 5-6k for 1st and then having a passenger pay 1k and then get upgraded.

I am just trying to figure out my play, If 1st class seems to be empty before the flight, and upgrades are available (i dont even know how one goes about getting upgraded), then it seems to make sense to roll the dice, get economy comfort and see if I can get upgraded. If there is no chance to get upgraded on International flights then that makes the decision easier - either take some xanax and do economy comfort or just pay the high first class fees.

Depends on the airlines. Some airlines, like United (may not have this anymore), have unadvertised top tiers. This tier is not really known and it's usually offered by private invite if you fly first/business a lot and on one or two occasions book an extremely expensive ticket. If you book a flight with that status even if you paid minimal money for the seat in coach you will automatically get moved to a first class seat if it is open. Though it's extremely rare that someone has that status and isn't already flying first because it's business anyway.

Other airlines it largely depends on certain things like people asking nicely with a certain status or above. Like someone else mentioned if you're dressed in a suit and you do this you're like 100x more likely to get bumped up. Most of the time pressing the people at the check in requires a lot of savvy and and smooth talking. I've done it with very mixed success, although I don't have any status anymore. Also, in regards to someone being right next to you with the pods I don't really see why that should be bothersome. With the pods I get in my pod and don't look around. I plug in my headphones and start playing video games or put a movie on until take off and resume it post take off. If it were something like some of the United flights where people sit next to each other I'd notice it and be a bit bothered but at the end of the day probably wouldn't care anyway.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post

Depends on the airlines. Some airlines, like United (may not have this anymore), have unadvertised top tiers. This tier is not really known and it's usually offered by private invite if you fly first/business a lot and on one or two occasions book an extremely expensive ticket. If you book a flight with that status even if you paid minimal money for the seat in coach you will automatically get moved to a first class seat if it is open. Though it's extremely rare that someone has that status and isn't already flying first because it's business anyway.

Other airlines it largely depends on certain things like people asking nicely with a certain status or above. Like someone else mentioned if you're dressed in a suit and you do this you're like 100x more likely to get bumped up. Most of the time pressing the people at the check in requires a lot of savvy and and smooth talking. I've done it with very mixed success, although I don't have any status anymore. Also, in regards to someone being right next to you with the pods I don't really see why that should be bothersome. With the pods I get in my pod and don't look around. I plug in my headphones and start playing video games or put a movie on until take off and resume it post take off. If it were something like some of the United flights where people sit next to each other I'd notice it and be a bit bothered but at the end of the day probably wouldn't care anyway.
    Thanks for all the info. I see why it was confusing when i wrote about the pods. As you said, the pods are like their own little unit so no one is near your space. I was more just annoyed with the fact that someone that paid 1k for a ticket and would get the same thing I would get paying 5 times more.

After looking at the two plus two thread it appears this i only fly first class thing in the real deal. I fired them off an email. Be interesting to see what they come back with especially since I dont need set dates.

Load Metric
    My brother is a pilot. Anytime I fly on his benefits I'm automatically put on first priority for upgrades to first class.

Thread Information