I am in Vegas for a few days after a long hiatus. Thought I'd take Druff's advice and visit the top (or nearly the top) of Mt Charleston, the mountain that all the radio show listeners know full well "hangs over Las Vegas". It kinda does, but it's also a bit tucked northwest of the valley.

Athough some might say "Meh", I actually enjoyed it. Druff is right --- it's a good deal cooler (still hot in mid-Jun, but it doesn't feel like a blast furnace when you step out of your car). Very Tahoe-esque even though I haven't been to Lake Tahoe. It's really a small community of maybe 50-100 homes. If I bought a place as a 2nd home in Vegas, I'd consider Mt Charleston...and then just stay in the city on good deal and free stay offers from time to time.

It's probably got a few things that are a pain to deal with like, lack of certain utilities (no cell service / Internet, no natural gas). Fire threat is always a worry in the summer too for an owner...I think it was on fire last year according to Druff.

Still don't know why Druff has a land-line up there though.