Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan Druff - is this true?

Load Metric

Dan Druff - is this true?

Currently Active Users
    There are currently 559 users online. 20 members and 539 guests
    Most users ever online was 2,503, 04-16-2015 at 04:43 AM.

Are there really this many lurkers that regularly lurk this site or is that some sort of website glitch.

Just curious.
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Load Metric
    Never underestimate the global interest in toilets flushing

Load Metric
    Tine has dupes. Coke head has dupes. 6toed has an entire dupe squad.

That about covers it
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    nigga my dupes have dupes.

Comments

jsearles22: I know!
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Lot of refreshing going on.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The high guest count is usually real or close to real.

It typically happens when someone with a lot of Twitter followers tweets something out here (usually a retweet of me).

It also occasionally happens when a hot news topic happens to bring up PFA high on google, such as if people were googling "Caitlyn Jenner" and PFA came up as the 4th page, or whatever.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

It typically happens when someone with a lot of Twitter followers tweets something out here (usually a retweet of me).

It also occasionally happens when a hot news topic happens to bring up PFA high on google, such as if people were googling "Caitlyn Jenner" and PFA came up as the 4th page, or whatever.

such bullshit

you certainly weren't up Tweeting at 6 AM this morning when there were over 500 'guests' on this site

and LOL @ the idea of PFA being listed 4th under random searches for "Caitlyn Jenner" gimme a fucking break

you know full well that message forums are inundated with spam-bots and you're guests/lurkers are not legitimate visitors

I know how it works, and claiming that these bots are 'real is a complete joke and basically a lie

kinda like how you claim the 'radio show' has 'thousands' of listeners via podcast lmao

Comments

jsearles22: Gotta side with Tyde here

Sloppy Joe: THE POCKIGAL SON RETURNETH

Load Metric
    Boris currently has 43 guests on. There's been 5 posts in the last 6 months. Get ahold of yourself, Druff.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post

such bullshit

you certainly weren't up Tweeting at 6 AM this morning when their were over 500 'guests' on this site

and LOL @ the idea of PFA being listed 4th under random searches for "Caitlyn Jenner" gimme a fucking break

you know full well that message forums are inundated with spam-bots and you're guests/lurkers are not legitimate visitors

I know how it works, and claiming that these bots are 'real is a complete joke and basically a lie

kinda like how you claim the 'radio show' has 'thousands' of listeners via podcast lmao
    Here goes drunk Marty trolling me again. I was wondering how long this would take.

I wasn't up at 6am tweeting. But if someone retweeted at 6am something I wrote, that would bring in the lurkers.

I don't know where PFA shows up for Caitlyn Jenner. I was just making up that example. It has shown up before fairly high for certain pop culture terms. I'm not bragging about this, and in fact it does little for PFA's overall traffic, as almost none of these visitors have any interest in sticking around.

Spammers barely get through here, if you notice, because I have my own custom ways to stop them. And spammers don't lurk. They post and leave.

Bots do browse this forum, but a bot has no need to show up using 500 instances of itself.

I realize that every site of yours was a laughable failure, but that's no reason to bash mine.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ToasterOven View Post
    Boris currently has 43 guests on. There's been 5 posts in the last 6 months. Get ahold of yourself, Druff.
    That's because you can set something in vBulletin how it determines when someone has "logged off".

I once saw a forum which was set to NEVER, meaning that anyone who logged in there for the past 10 years is still considered "online". The thing literally had millions of people listed as being online.

Boris likely has a high setting, probably for the purposes of Ian selling it and making it appear there was more traffic than there actually was.

I set mine to something reasonable, like 15 minutes. The problem with setting it too short (like 5 minutes) is it counts someone as "logged off" if they are reading a long post and not clicking on anything. So you don't want to set it too short, and you don't want to set it too long.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The radio show does average around 1000 listeners.

I can see this from the direct downloads of the mp3 file, and then I add the Stitcher numbers (which are also made availale to me) to that. I can throw out the duplicate downloads of the MP3 from the same IP. Then, of course, I add the live listeners.

Some weeks it's a little more, some weeks it's a little less, but the average has been around 1000 for a long time.

Load Metric

I can see this from the direct downloads of the mp3 file, and then I add the Stitcher numbers (which are also made availale to me) to that. I can throw out the duplicate downloads of the MP3 from the same IP. Then, of course, I add the live listeners.

Some weeks it's a little more, some weeks it's a little less, but the average has been around 1000 for a long time.
    I actually think this number is low, the main way people listen to podcasts, is through itunes. And those numbers are not made available, not even to the podcaster himself.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    That's because you can set something in vBulletin how it determines when someone has "logged off".

I once saw a forum which was set to NEVER, meaning that anyone who logged in there for the past 10 years is still considered "online". The thing literally had millions of people listed as being online.

Boris likely has a high setting, probably for the purposes of Ian selling it and making it appear there was more traffic than there actually was.

I set mine to something reasonable, like 15 minutes. The problem with setting it too short (like 5 minutes) is it counts someone as "logged off" if they are reading a long post and not clicking on anything. So you don't want to set it too short, and you don't want to set it too long.
    This reminds me of an early Donkdown story, in fact.

When Donkdown started, I'm sure you remember Boris was watching closely, and of course mocking all the various fails that occurred. In our defense, Pokernews gave us like zero warning, and we had literally days to convert it over from NWP, including reformatting the database to the phpBB software being used on DD.

Anyway, Loren/LAKingsfan set DD to a VERY low number of minutes (like 2) before a user was considered logged off for counting purposes. He also set the "cookie expiration" extremely low, like 5 minutes, before a registered user would be force-logged-off from not clicking on anything. So people from Boris were looking at DD, and it was showing things like "6 users online, 2 registered", and everyone laughed at us.

I quickly figured out what was going on, and told Loren to up those numbers. He told me that he didn't want to, as one of his pet peeves was forums which falsely showed people online who were actually gone. I told him that his settings were accomplishing the opposite, and in fact making us incorrectly look like a ghost town, which was a bad perception to have. I told him that, if anything, we should err on the side of listing people online for too long. He finally agreed and changed the settings.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daredevil View Post

I actually think this number is low, the main way people listen to podcasts, is through itunes. And those numbers are not made available, not even to the podcaster himself.
    No, because iTunes downloads the MP3 directly from PFA, so I see that.

Comments

LLL: Yup.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Ironic, the people who bring the hits to this site, are slagging off the number of hits to this site.
    cmoney :It would be nice if Mexico could simply get human feces out of its drinking water

Load Metric
    Boris looks to be set to an hour. Take another whack, big guy.

Banned
    Load Metric

such bullshit

you certainly weren't up Tweeting at 6 AM this morning when their were over 500 'guests' on this site

Here goes drunk Marty trolling me again. I was wondering how long this would take.

I wasn't up at 6am tweeting. But if someone retweeted at 6am something I wrote, that would bring in the lurkers.

I don't know where PFA shows up for Caitlyn Jenner. I was just making up that example. It has shown up before fairly high for certain pop culture terms. I'm not bragging about this, and in fact it does little for PFA's overall traffic, as almost none of these visitors have any interest in sticking around.

Spammers barely get through here, if you notice, because I have my own custom ways to stop them. And spammers don't lurk. They post and leave.

Bots do browse this forum, but a bot has no need to show up using 500 instances of itself.

I realize that every site of yours was a laughable failure, but that's no reason to bash mine.

nobody was 'bashing' your boring ass site you fucking goon.

But I'm definitely going to chime in when I see you making fictitious and misleading statements implying this pos forum is some (ahem) traffic magnet.

you made a ridiculous claim that there are over 500 'guests' reading threads or 'lurking' here at the ungodly hour of 6 AM, which is laughable no matter what.

lol @ immediately launching into insults like a butthurt petulant child...signature Todd whining like a bitch when he doesn't get his way

btw you dickless wonder, I'm familiar enough with VBulletin to call you out for bullshit claiming these 'readers' are legitimate.

the spam controls have ZERO to do with preventing automated traffic from bots or Twitter links

Oh and LOL @ implying my site(s) were a fail, you have a grand total of:

____

Threads 9,916 Posts 397,314 Members 1,740 Active Members 319
    Welcome to our newest member, MumblesBadly
    ____

really blowing up the internet Rainman

319 active users after over 2 years now

keep up the good work

Bronze
    Load Metric

nobody was 'bashing' your boring ass site you fucking goon.

But I'm definitely going to chime in when I see you making fictitious and misleading statements implying this pos forum is some (ahem) traffic magnet.

you made a ridiculous claim that there are over 500 'guests' reading threads or 'lurking' here at the ungodly hour of 6 AM, which is laughable no matter what.

lol @ immediately launching into insults like a butthurt petulant child...signature Todd whining like a bitch when he doesn't get his way

btw you dickless wonder, I'm familiar enough with VBulletin to call you out for bullshit claiming these 'readers' are legitimate.

the spam controls have ZERO to do with preventing automated traffic from bots or Twitter links

Oh and LOL @ implying my site(s) were a fail, you have a grand total of:

____

Threads 9,916 Posts 397,314 Members 1,740 Active Members 319
    Welcome to our newest member, MumblesBadly
    ____

really blowing up the internet Rainman

319 active users after over 2 years now

keep up the good work

You are DRUNK again before 5pm? Fuck, get some help dude. You can drive to San Diego for some AA meetings.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daredevil View Post
    if you want to know where a podcast from itunes is hosted (useful for when only an itunes link is available, but you don't use itunes), there are a bunch of sites like this out there. http://picklemonkey.net/feedflipper-home/

put in the itunes link for a podcast, you get the rss feed.

Name:  pfaitu.JPG
Views: 587
Size:  28.5 KB

Comments

Daredevil: Nice find

Load Metric

You do know that you can just click the number of people online and there's a time stamp, right? Yours is set to an hour.

Thread Information