Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Silicon Valley - Why You Should Watch It

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    (I'm) a little preoccupied in Thailand right now

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    He's hitting a steam roller... Maybe he likes to cough a lot because he gets higher from it. Personally, being in my late 30s, I do not enjoy coughing like that.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here is a pretty extensive article about Silicon Valley, including the most detail given yet regarding Miller's departure:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fe...y-exit-1092493

However, oddly they took a lot of weird, out-of-context photos of the cast, such as this:

.... and then there's this weird cover with a totally incorrect caption:

Load Metric
    i hear they dont even run that series at a loss.

amateurs.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Druff what part of the caption are you saying is inaccurate? Was T.J. Miller in fact Lebron?

Edit 1:
    I can't believe you are saying these guys aren't beta males in that show but that is probably what you are saying. Perhaps I don't understand what that word means so can you explain further?

Edit 2:
    Also can you increase the time a person has before that brutal edited at such and such time appears under the post? Five minutes isn't enough for me and that mark stains any post I read that has it. I think it should be changed to appear after 10 minutes or after someone else makes a post underneath it. Whichever happens first.
    Last edited by Brittney Griner's Clit; 03-09-2018 at 09:30 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Druff what part of the caption are you saying is inaccurate? Was T.J. Miller in fact Lebron?

I can't believe you are saying these guys aren't beta males in that show but that is probably what you are saying. Perhaps I don't understand what that word means so can you explain further?
    Richard and Jared are definitely beta males (especially Jared).

However, Dinesh isn't really a beta male or an alpha male, and Gilfoyle definitely isn't beta.

As I mentioned in another thread, Gilfoyle is a throwback to the old '80s/'90s anarchist type computer hacker. Not beta at all.

The caption is odd because the series is NOT about beta males triumphing. In fact, a lot of their struggles come from Richard's under-confident leadership.

The series is really about a group of naive computer nerds attempting to navigate the dog-eat-dog business environment of Silicon Valley, and a sendup of both the tech and venture capitalist types in the area.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Paging Devidee:

Can you find out the religion of the owners and editors of that magazine. I have some suspicions, but want to be sure.

Also, any Indian dudes, thoughts on having the Indian character (and by proxy Indians) included in the MSM propoganda campaign to make white men look as weak and beta as possible?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post

Richard and Jared are definitely beta males (especially Jared).

However, Dinesh isn't really a beta male or an alpha male, and Gilfoyle definitely isn't beta.

As I mentioned in another thread, Gilfoyle is a throwback to the old '80s/'90s anarchist type computer hacker. Not beta at all.

The caption is odd because the series is NOT about beta males triumphing. In fact, a lot of their struggles come from Richard's under-confident leadership.

The series is really about a group of naive computer nerds attempting to navigate the dog-eat-dog business environment of Silicon Valley, and a sendup of both the tech and venture capitalist types in the area.
    Most of the people who see that cover have never seen an episode of Silicon Valley, and the editors of the magazine are well aware of that. Their goal is to make white men generally (and those involved in STEM specifically) look as weak and ineffectual as possible to the wider audience who sees the cover but doesn't watch the show, not to genuinely portray the characters.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The funny thing is that the article itself is pretty good, and it doesn't go in the direction you'd expect from that obnoxious cover.

In fact, at one point they quote Mike Judge complaining about the Hollywood SJW left (specifically Amy Schumer), who had said that 50% of the stars of all series and movies need to be women and minorities. Judge said that it's impractical when the subject matter happens to be about white males, and that you can't artificially insert stars of other races into the story. He said that "Silicon Valley" is about awkward (mostly) white computer nerds attempting to get a successful startup going, and that he wasn't going to cave in to pressures to cast otherwise.

The article presented this point fairly and didn't portray Judge as a bigot for saying that.

The article itself was mostly about the show itself and TJ Miller's departure (which was for non-political reasons), so I really have no issue with it.

It looks more like whoever made the cover and the accompanying photos wanted to glorify the beta male and give a big middle finger to the political/social right.

Load Metric
    daniel druff you are an absolute caution.

Comments

El Gallo:

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric
    The funny thing is that the article itself is pretty good, and it doesn't go in the direction you'd expect from that obnoxious cover.

In fact, at one point they quote Mike Judge complaining about the Hollywood SJW left (specifically Amy Schumer), who had said that 50% of the stars of all series and movies need to be women and minorities. Judge said that it's impractical when the subject matter happens to be about white males, and that you can't artificially insert stars of other races into the story. He said that "Silicon Valley" is about awkward (mostly) white computer nerds attempting to get a successful startup going, and that he wasn't going to cave in to pressures to cast otherwise.

The article presented this point fairly and didn't portray Judge as a bigot for saying that.

The article itself was mostly about the show itself and TJ Miller's departure (which was for non-political reasons), so I really have no issue with it.

It looks more like whoever made the cover and the accompanying photos wanted to glorify the beta male and give a big middle finger to the political/social right.
    Doesn't look like they are glorifying anything. Looks like they are weak, beta metrosexual losers. Which I am guessing is exactly what the person who made that cover intended.

Load Metric
    the fact that conservatives are reading political agendas into the cover of hollywood magazine tells us more about the mental firepower of the conservative movement than it does the subtle agenda of an industry magazine covering a B- level hbo sitcom.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    the fact that conservatives are reading political agendas into the cover of hollywood magazine tells us more about the mental firepower of the conservative movement than it does the subtle agenda of an industry magazine covering a B- level hbo sitcom.
    I would argue there is absolutely nothing subtle about the agenda. The fact you can't recognize this (consciously at least, your subconscious is actively at work, which of course is the intent) tells us what pill you have been swallowing.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    I would argue there is absolutely nothing subtle about the agenda. The fact you can't recognize this (consciously at least, your subconscious is actively at work, which of course is the intent) tells us what pill you have been swallowing.
    if you think the agenda is to put together a puff piece article about a hack show featuring a bunch of millennial software devs in silicon valley, i guess we are both on the same page.

but of course, we arent on the same page, because like every other moderan american conservative, you want to get into the cool kids club on your own terms, which we just arent into.

go pitch a show to hbo about a bunch of mid western christians who get into one crazy adventure after another while they try to disrupt the camouflage business casual loafer market if you want to be featured in Boys Life or whatever the fly-over equivalent of Hollywood Magazine is. then you wont need to get triggered every time we celebrate the mediocrity of one of our own.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

if you think the agenda is to put together a puff piece article about a hack show featuring a bunch of millennial software devs in silicon valley, i guess we are both on the same page.

but of course, we arent on the same page, because like every other moderan american conservative, you want to get into the cool kids club on your own terms, which we just arent into.

go pitch a show to hbo about a bunch of mid western christians who get into one crazy adventure after another while they try to disrupt the camouflage business casual loafer market if you want to be featured in Boys Life or whatever the fly-over equivalent of Hollywood Magazine is. then you wont need to get triggered every time we celebrate the mediocrity of one of our own.
    The picture has nothing to do with the show. Whoever gave the go on that picture probably never even read the article or watched a single episode of the show. You realize that writers write articles with their own narratives, and then editors and other magazine people take over, and often change titles (and the article itself) and insert pictures for their own agendas that have nothing to do with the article at all? Well, if you didn't know that, now you do.

-I am saying the agenda with that picture and title is clear. And there is a very good chance whoever wrote the article had nothing to do with either. And there is a very good chance whoever decided on that title and picture isn't overtly familiar with the article or the show.

That is how magazines work.

Comments

Dan Druff: agree

Load Metric
    go pitch a show to hbo about a bunch of mid western christians who get into one crazy adventure after another while they try to disrupt the camouflage business casual loafer market

Name:  the-outsiders-5564ad8a2bd79-901x506-900x505.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  101.8 KB
    Last edited by DRK Star; 03-09-2018 at 03:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    (I'm) a little preoccupied in Thailand right now

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Just watched episode 1 of season 5.

The first 1/3 or so was very funny, but then it devolved into the usual circular plot line.

Once again, Richard is unprepared as CEO, uncomfortably hires new people who don't want to really be there, and vomits out of nervousness.

Once again, Gavin Belson looks like a complete clown, and makes you wonder how an idiot like that could have founded and built the show's equivalent to Google.

They tried to explain Erlich's absence, and spent some time on it, but I already miss that character.

I'm predicting this season isn't going to be very good, but I'm going to watch anyway.

They've released 3 episodes so far.

Load Metric
    Once again, Richard is unprepared as CEO, uncomfortably hires new people who don't want to really be there, and vomits out of nervousness.

Once again, Gavin Belson looks like a complete clown, and makes you wonder how an idiot like that could have founded and built the show's equivalent to Google.
    Richard is kind of like Mark Zuckerberg, a slacker who might be good at coding but is socially awkward and bad at public speaking.

Galvin Belson is more like Elon Musk.
    A visionary idiot who has achieved some success at other businesses. But in his current business, his head is so far up in the clouds that his goals are unachievable.

The media report on every brain fart that Zuckerberg and Musk have even though their plans are impossible.

In the real world, Mark Zuckerberg and Elon Musk wouldn't be able to get a job as janitor. Instead they are Billionaires because they did a good job at convincing other people to give them money.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Silicon Valley producers can't stop patting themselves on the back enough about getting rid of TJ Miller.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/10/enter...est/index.html

He had some argument with a woman on an Amtrak train, and then decided to report her for having a bomb in her bag.

Now he's been arrested for it.

Sounds like a better story to have used to write Erlich out of the show, rather than this "meditating in Tibet" nonsense.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Season 5, episode 5 was the best one of the season so far.

They also brought back that Indian fake New Age guru. Gavin Belson is shown to be even more of an insecure, unstable idiot, but I guess that's just par for the course with the show nowadays.

But the main plot point -- about Pied Piper partnering with an AI company and its creepy, super-awkward CEO -- was actually pretty good, and reminds me more of the creativity we saw in the earlier seasons.

Far better than the other episodes, which all seemed to center around Pied Piper acquiring employees of two other startups, and the usual Richard-can't-lead follies we have seen all too often.

Interesting that they are drawing Richard to be kind of the anti-Zuckerberg in his hatred of exploiting the public and their personal info, despite Richard being strongly based upon Zuck himself.

Thread Information