Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: *** 2015 WSOP THREAD

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Felt I played the Millionaire Maker pretty well yesterday, though just kept airballing every draw and starting hand I was getting in the later hours of Day 1.

I did make one mistake when I got confused about the position of the raiser (somehow thought he was UTG when in fact he was late), and it changed the way I played AJss pre, which cost me the pot when the SB got in and beat me.

But other than that, I read my opponents' hands well, where I correctly didn't spaz out on hands where I was behind and yet was able to get value when I did hit.

However, the one questionable spot came in the 250/500/50 level shortly before dinner.

I had about 14.5k.

I opened with AQo in middle pos to 1300.

24-year-old kid to my left, who had been very tight during my time at the table, just flatted me, which was a bit weird. Keep in mind that this guy was a decent player, but just had a tight-aggressive playstyle, and in fact his flatting confused me, as I hadn't seen him flat during the time we were playing (and my raise could have easily been of a steal variety -- it's not like it was UTG).

Folded to button, a 40-ish Swedish guy who was playing solid for awhile but did shoot off on two hands in the past hour.

The button shoved 11k into us.

If I call and lose, I'm crippled to 3500.

I am still facing the weird flat behind me, and he has me covered (he has about 22k total).

Do you call this or fold? If there was no one behind me, I call the tilted Swede all day, but given these circumstances, what do you do?
    Ignoring all table reads I would probably reshove. However, it seems like you have a good read on the table there and I'd fold with those reads. Even with the reads I couldn't really blame you if you did shove.

The way I look at this is there's a couple possibilities here in regards to table dynamics. Kid to your left might be recognizing his image is getting too tight and he picked up a good drawing hand and wants to use it as an excuse to show the table he's widening his range. If not the case you can probably more than likely put him on hands like 66-99, jts-kqs, and maybe ATs. Maybe move ajs into that range. Assuming he's trying to widen his range you can add in hands like 45s, 46s, 57s, etc. There's also the opportunity that he's setting the trap, which with position on the initial raiser maybe he'll do 10-15% of the time with his big hands.

The shove from the button with 11k seems pretty standard with just about any marginally strong hand like AXss, broadway cards, and pocket pairs up to about jacks. Also, because of the limp he can widen that range because there's so much in the pot and with the guy on your left limping. the button can probably assume he's not strong enough to call so he just needs to get rid of you.

Overall, I don't hate folding but I don't hate reshoving either. I think the math here in regards to fold/shoving is a lot closer than you probably give credit.

Load Metric
    A-K I call, A-Q I fold.

Load Metric
    If the normal tournaments are taking so long, how long do they expect the extended play tournament to last?

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post
    Felt I played the Millionaire Maker pretty well yesterday, though just kept airballing every draw and starting hand I was getting in the later hours of Day 1.

I did make one mistake when I got confused about the position of the raiser (somehow thought he was UTG when in fact he was late), and it changed the way I played AJss pre, which cost me the pot when the SB got in and beat me.

But other than that, I read my opponents' hands well, where I correctly didn't spaz out on hands where I was behind and yet was able to get value when I did hit.

However, the one questionable spot came in the 250/500/50 level shortly before dinner.

I had about 14.5k.

I opened with AQo in middle pos to 1300.

24-year-old kid to my left, who had been very tight during my time at the table, just flatted me, which was a bit weird. Keep in mind that this guy was a decent player, but just had a tight-aggressive playstyle, and in fact his flatting confused me, as I hadn't seen him flat during the time we were playing (and my raise could have easily been of a steal variety -- it's not like it was UTG).

Folded to button, a 40-ish Swedish guy who was playing solid for awhile but did shoot off on two hands in the past hour.

The button shoved 11k into us.

If I call and lose, I'm crippled to 3500.

I am still facing the weird flat behind me, and he has me covered (he has about 22k total).

Do you call this or fold? If there was no one behind me, I call the tilted Swede all day, but given these circumstances, what do you do?
    Ignoring all table reads I would probably reshove. However, it seems like you have a good read on the table there and I'd fold with those reads. Even with the reads I couldn't really blame you if you did shove.

The way I look at this is there's a couple possibilities here in regards to table dynamics. Kid to your left might be recognizing his image is getting too tight and he picked up a good drawing hand and wants to use it as an excuse to show the table he's widening his range. If not the case you can probably more than likely put him on hands like 66-99, jts-kqs, and maybe ATs. Maybe move ajs into that range. Assuming he's trying to widen his range you can add in hands like 45s, 46s, 57s, etc. There's also the opportunity that he's setting the trap, which with position on the initial raiser maybe he'll do 10-15% of the time with his big hands.

The shove from the button with 11k seems pretty standard with just about any marginally strong hand like AXss, broadway cards, and pocket pairs up to about jacks. Also, because of the limp he can widen that range because there's so much in the pot and with the guy on your left limping. the button can probably assume he's not strong enough to call so he just needs to get rid of you.

Overall, I don't hate folding but I don't hate reshoving either. I think the math here in regards to fold/shoving is a lot closer than you probably give credit.

you're Canadian which means you suck at poker in general, so please STFU

nobody cares about your take on strategy

go play in the snow retard

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post

anonamoose, is this true?
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post

I'm from Pennsylvania lol.

Comments

Hockey Guy: I know.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

I'm from Pennsylvania lol.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In the AQ hand described above, I folded.

The kid to my left snap-called and showed another AQo.

The spazz Swede had J9 suited (lol).

The AQ held. I would have chopped if he called my re-shove, or would have won if he folded to it. The kid said that he was "deciding whether he could call my reshove" but hadn't come to an answer yet when I folded anyway.

Glad to see that most here agree with my decision to fold. I just thought it was gambling too much (and perhaps I was crushed by either player) given that I wasn't desperate yet regarding stack size.

Like Daly said, if it was AK, I call without question. But I was afraid I might be facing AK from the button, and I was also concerned that the guy to my left was slowplaying something huge (his AQ line was a bit odd, to be honest).

Load Metric

The AQ held. I would have chopped if he called my re-shove, or would have won if he folded to it. The kid said that he was "deciding whether he could call my reshove" but hadn't come to an answer yet when I folded anyway.

Glad to see that most here agree with my decision to fold. I just thought it was gambling too much (and perhaps I was crushed by either player) given that I wasn't desperate yet regarding stack size.

Like Daly said, if it was AK, I call without question. But I was afraid I might be facing AK from the button, and I was also concerned that the guy to my left was slowplaying something huge (his AQ line was a bit odd, to be honest).
    Like I said I'm ok with folding, but the button guy is of 0 concern IMO. With his stack his push/shove range in that particular situation is extremely wide. It's the flatter I'm concerned about more than anything. Yes, the AQ line is odd I agree.

Load Metric
    Shaun Deeb just picked up his first bracelet, beating Paul Volpe

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    Interesting note on this, no one picked up Deeb in the 25k draft

http://www.25kfantasy.com/playerList.php

Kinda surprising

Load Metric

In a cash game, why not, but people flatting behind me in a tournament scares the shit out of me.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Kinda surprising
    That is surprising. He's one of the best tournament players out there right now.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    If the normal tournaments are taking so long, how long do they expect the extended play tournament to last?
    That's a good point. I guess I'll find out, as I'm playing it.

I actually think the NL ones aren't all that slow.

It's all the limit events (including the one I'm playing tomorrow) which will be brutal.

Load Metric
    Tweet from: ToddWitteles (Todd Witteles)

Today's $3000 Limit Holdem won't cash until very late Day 2. Will be brutal to bubble. 15k chips & similar structure to $1500 event. #pfa19
    Seems like an odd sentiment; predicting a brutal bubble before it even starts
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric

Kinda surprising
    That is surprising. He's one of the best tournament players out there right now.
    the only reason i can think of is everyone thought he'd spend the majority of his time grinding pineapple instead of playing tournaments

Load Metric
    Badguy is this true?

Name:  14214-winner-photo.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  1.09 MB

1500 NLHE shootout winner

Banned
    Load Metric
    Whoever is making these weird photoshopped winner pics for the WSOP forgot to mask his shirt all the way. Looks like someone blasted a hole through his chest.

Comments

anonamoose: illuminati confirmed

Load Metric

with 40 people left, Deeb is chip leader in the 10K razz tourney

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I guess the hardcore fans in the poker community are all wondering where Phil Ivey is and why he hasn't played an event in the WSOP.

The answer is losing his ass on pokerstars to this guy. I read it was a blood bath and Ivey kept reloading for 10 to 20k then busting it every 10 or so minutes only to rinse and repeat.

Name:  iveylol.PNG
Views: 1142
Size:  760.2 KB

Thread Information